PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here work 10m or 6m FM?

radargrrl
07-22-2009, 12:43 PM
I have one of those neato Yaesu FT8900 quadband things, not to mention a UHV4 antenna, mounted on my white Chev van, but haven't really worked much more than the 2m around here with it. How far could I expect to get with it given conditions these days? Keep in mind, it's FM only. I'd really like to try and work a certain K2 station in and around the Fort Erie area. Is that a possibility or could I even go further?

N2NH
07-22-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm not set up to transmit on 10M-FM but I do listen to it on my HT and Scanner. If conditions are right, there are no terrestrial limits on range. I've heard Australia, England and Japan come in like they were locals.

If the prop is good and your antenna is tuned, you should have no problem. A lot of people listen to CB to find out what band conditions are. If it's happening on 11M, it's pretty much happening on 10 too.

The FT-8900 is a cool radio. I have the FT-857, FT-817, Alinco and Azden all which have 10M-FM. I also have a 10M h/t but the antenna on it is a joke.

radargrrl
07-22-2009, 01:24 PM
If I ever get deployed to Afghanamistan, I'm going to make sure I have a FT817 along...

N8YX
07-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Are there any 10M FM repeaters in your area?

We have one in the Akron-Canton vicinity (Massillon Amateur Radio Club) and another in Akron proper - WA8DBW's interlinked multi-band system. Another is located in Salem, about 35 miles east of me.

Expect a coverage area of about 50 miles or so in diameter when operating 10M mobile, and if you're operating from a fixed station and utilizing a decent antenna you can double that distance for line-of-sight to the repeated.

10M FM simplex...I have a couple of rigs in the shack which are FM-capable and will be rearranging the Yaesu lineup in the next few days to include an FT726R and FT-901DM w/ transverter. Either rig can do the simplex bit.

My friend Marty, N8XPK has a high-profile 6M repeater on 53.17; it's PLed but all are welcome on it. AFAIK, the PL frequency is 110.9. If you're near the northern shore of Lake Erie you ought to be able to hit the machine via your -8900.

KB3LAZ
07-22-2009, 01:58 PM

We have one in the Akron-Canton vicinity (Massillon Amateur Radio Club) and another in Akron proper - WA8DBW's interlinked multi-band system. Another is located in Salem, about 35 miles east of me.

Expect a coverage area of about 50 miles or so in diameter when operating 10M mobile, and if you're operating from a fixed station and utilizing a decent antenna you can double that distance for line-of-sight to the repeated.

10M FM simplex...I have a couple of rigs in the shack which are FM-capable and will be rearranging the Yaesu lineup in the next few days to include an FT726R and FT-901DM w/ transverter. Either rig can do the simplex bit.

My friend Marty, N8XPK has a high-profile 6M repeater on 53.17; it's PLed but all are welcome on it. AFAIK, the PL frequency is 110.9. If you're near the northern shore of Lake Erie you ought to be able to hit the machine via your -8900.

Dude, I have not talked to Marty in months.

radargrrl
07-22-2009, 02:25 PM

Hmmm...nowhere near the north shore of Erie. Trenton is on the Bay of Quinte, an offshoot of Lake Ontario. The antenna and rig are set up mobile, as I mentioned. <sigh> I'll have to get that 706 working. Oh, for another 20 feet of tower height...

N8YX
07-22-2009, 03:11 PM
I saw him a few weeks back - he got a Gold Wing last year and was wondering how to integrate his VX7R into the bike's electronics. 'DSG's bike has all the neato goodies mounted on it, so we went over and showed him what to get. The ladies chatted by the hot tub, and the three doodz checked out the bikes, Marty's radios and other assorted man-cave stuff... ;)

N8YX
07-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Hmmm...nowhere near the north shore of Erie. Trenton is on the Bay of Quinte, an offshoot of Lake Ontario. The antenna and rig are set up mobile, as I mentioned. <sigh> I'll have to get that 706 working. Oh, for another 20 feet of tower height...
You're close enough that you should be able to hit the 29.620 machine in NYC, right?

KB3LAZ
07-22-2009, 03:13 PM
I saw him a few weeks back - he got a Gold Wing last year and was wondering how to integrate his VX7R into the bike's electronics. 'DSG's bike has all the neato goodies mounted on it, so we went over and showed him what to get. The ladies chatted by the hot tub, and the three doodz checked out the bikes, Marty's radios and other assorted man-cave stuff... ;)

By the hot tub, why not in it? :lol:

N8YX
07-22-2009, 04:11 PM
By the hot tub, why not in it? :lol:
Wasn't heated up enough. 'DSG has an aversion to 50-degree water ... :snicker:

N2NH
07-22-2009, 05:15 PM
You're close enough that you should be able to hit the 29.620 machine in NYC, right?

I think she should be able to hit either the Alpine (NJ) machine. Just checked the N2ROW site and the Brooklyn machine is offline

Brooklyn (NYC Metro Area) (when it comes back on):
29.680 N2ROW Pl 136.5

Alpine, NJ (NYC Metro Area)/ Woodstock, NY:
29.620 KQ2H ctcss:146.2hz, Pl 136.5 (Two tones were listed, 136.5 is the normal one. 146.2 is the output tone.)

KC8TCQ
07-22-2009, 05:43 PM

There is also a 10m and 6m repeater in Toledo Oh I believe. I've never tried them so don't know if they are on the air.

radargrrl
07-22-2009, 05:58 PM

Not THAT Trenton (http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=40.22083,-74.75647&spn=3.107822,7.13562&z=8). I don't think there's a Canadian air base there...

This one. (http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=44.116208,-77.575065&spn=2.922218,7.13562&z=8).

N8YX
07-22-2009, 09:27 PM

Not THAT Trenton (http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=40.22083,-74.75647&spn=3.107822,7.13562&z=8). I don't think there's a Canadian air base there...

This one. (http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=44.116208,-77.575065&spn=2.922218,7.13562&z=8).
You just may - on a good day - be able to hit that machine. IIRC, it's on one of the tall buildings and has a fairly large coverage area...

n0eq
07-23-2009, 08:26 AM
We have two 6m repeaters that I can hit in my area (Phoenix),
and they're linked together.
We have maybe 5 hams total that use six. Out of those 5,
the one that is most active doesn't ever remember me
whenever I call on six. Each time he says "I don't think
I've ever heard you on this machine before" then he
asks me "How long you been a ham?" etc.

I got tired of answering honestly so I started answering
"Just got my license this afternoon, TEN-FOUR?"

I don't know what kind of antennas are on the 6m machines
here, but I get a much better signal and from more marginal
distances and conditions, on 2m than on 6m, to our local machines.
And they're on the same towers.

http://www.digitalcartography.com/camp/HighwayAdoptedHamIsland.bmp

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

http://www.n0eq.com

radargrrl
07-23-2009, 10:21 AM

You just may - on a good day - be able to hit that machine. IIRC, it's on one of the tall buildings and has a fairly large coverage area...

OK. I'll have to give that one a try. Stupid question department...is there a typical offset for 6m FM?

N8YX
07-23-2009, 10:39 AM
OK. I'll have to give that one a try. Stupid question department...is there a typical offset for 6m FM?
-1.0 MHz.

Your -8900 should already have this programmed in, by virtue of the Automatic Repeater Shift feature (page 27 of the Operator's Manual):

http://www.yaesu.com/downloadFile.cfm?FileID=1224&FileCatID=150&FileName=FT%2D8900R%5FOpr%20Manual.pdf&FileContentType=application%2Fpdf

radargrrl
07-23-2009, 11:22 AM
-1.0 MHz.

Your -8900 should already have this programmed in, by virtue of the Automatic Repeater Shift feature (page 27 of the Operator's Manual):

http://www.yaesu.com/downloadFile.cfm?FileID=1224&FileCatID=150&FileName=FT%2D8900R%5FOpr%20Manual.pdf&FileContentType=application%2Fpdf

I figured it might be, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Next silly question...think I can get it with a vehicle based omni or would I need to get directional on a tower?"

N2NH
07-23-2009, 12:27 PM
I got tired of answering honestly so I started answering
"Just got my license this afternoon, TEN-FOUR?"

Good one. :lol:

He wouldn't have an S or T or H in his call would he?

N8YX
07-23-2009, 12:30 PM
Next silly question...think I can get it with a vehicle based omni or would I need to get directional on a tower?"
You -may- be able to access the machine while mobile. Park your receiver on the output and see how strong the signal is. If it's anything above, say, S9, then conditions might warrant a try.

Can you access the 146.435/147.435 machine near Erie, PA?

It's PLed too...but the frequency is widely known and the system isn't considered 'closed'.

radargrrl
07-23-2009, 02:45 PM
You -may- be able to access the machine while mobile. Park your receiver on the output and see how strong the signal is. If it's anything above, say, S9, then conditions might warrant a try.

Can you access the 146.435/147.435 machine near Erie, PA?

It's PLed too...but the frequency is widely known and the system isn't considered 'closed'.

Likely not. Erie PA is two large lakes and a landmass away. I'm not even sure if I can make VE3TWR on the CN Tower from here, (although I have to say, it's been a while since I tried...) But 6m would be a different kettle of fish, I hope...

KF2M
07-28-2009, 08:05 AM
Look here... http://www.hamrepeater.net/kq2h/

If you can hit the Woodstock, or Woodbourne machines the linked system will get you down to NYC. IIRC the Woodbourne machine is horiziontally polarized on 10m, and no PL.

suddenseer
08-22-2009, 10:52 PM
Look here... http://www.hamrepeater.net/kq2h/

If you can hit the Woodstock, or Woodbourne machines the linked system will get you down to NYC. IIRC the Woodbourne machine is horiziontally polarized on 10m, and no PL.

I had a nice long round table chat with the gentlemen on the 29.620 machine in NY last month. I usually hit the V.I , or Purto Rico machine on the same freq 29.620. I like 10 meters. I have heard myself when I unkey. Some of you old timers know what I am talking about.

Have fun on 6 & 10. Good people, good frequencies.

I worked England qrp on 6m qw a few years ago. about 50.100 great opening.

cul de n8tb

n2ize
08-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Years ago I ran my Johnson Vikling 2 transmitter up on 10 meter FM. But the Johnson Viking is an AM rig you say ? It doesn't have FM ? No problem, I built up a simple diode modulator circuit into the vfo and modulated the vfo. I controlled the deviation my limiting my audio levels. It actually worked, although I didn't make any 10 meter AM contacts.

I also did the same thing on 2 meters using a "Johnson 6 and 2" transmitter. I actuially worked several repeaters. I would tune the vfo to the input frequency of the repeater and receive via a scanner tuned to the output. I also had to monitor myself on the input when I was talking to make sure I was centered on the repeaters input. It was quite awkward but it worked.

What was really nice was that it gave me an awesome signal on 2 meters. 100 watts of vhf carrier into an attic mounted mobile antenna gave me an awesome signal for working simplex. Not to mention the nasty vhf rf burn one would get if they touched the antenna when i had the plates switched on. Also when working into repeaters some people claimed that my signal was stronger on the input to the repeater than what they were getting on the repeaters output. What was also nice is that I could work many local repeaters just by using the low level signal coming off the vfo. When working a repeater within 20 miles or less I often didn't have to switch on the finals, I could work the repeater with the vfo alone.

In any event it was an interesting and novel way to work 2 meter FM. I never tried it on 6 meters. I still have that Viking 6&2 rig but it needs a new final and these days that tube is very expensive. Maybe one of these days I'll track one down and give the old 6 & 2 another go.

suddenseer
09-26-2009, 09:51 AM
Has anyone else noticed the significant drop in the 6m noise floor after the analog tv was halted? I am getting wonderful scatter qso's that I have not had since field days.

cul de n8tb