PDA

View Full Version : 2-stroke Oil

HUGH
07-13-2009, 02:16 AM
My garden machinery tools all require slightly different 2-stroke mixtures. With one hedge trimmer exception, which I am selling soon because it's a pig anyway, they will all run on a 33:1 mixture but some end up very oily at the exhaust end. (I am playing safe). I am now using a Husqvarna low-smoke oil but know little else about it, the label proclaims nothing.

There are some oils available to equipment hire agencies which are not only low-smoke but still claim to protect and lubricate 2-stroke engines with all sorts of mixture ratios. This is to safeguard tools which often end up being used by lunatics.

Has anyone experience of various 2-stroke oils, the internet does provide lists of ISO and American "ratings"?

N8YX
07-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Let me do a little digging on some of the motorcycle boards I frequent and see what I can dig up for you...

N2CHX
07-13-2009, 07:56 AM
I have to ask... Which is more manly, a two stroke or a four stroke? :snicker: :think

N8YX
07-13-2009, 07:56 AM
I have to ask... Which is more manly, a two stroke or a four stroke? :snicker: :think
Only if it has a kick starter. :dance

WØTKX
07-13-2009, 08:53 AM
An easily starting 2 stroke pull start... may cause premature feelings of inadequacy?

Well, there is a solution: :twisted:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/productimages/OG/0000_Maxima_Super_M_Premix_2-Stroke_Oil.jpg

kc7jty
07-13-2009, 10:51 AM
HAAH!

kc7jty
07-13-2009, 11:04 AM
I vaguely remember a 33:1 mix ratio being popular but that was over 25/30 years ago. My Polan chain saw uses 40:1, as did the 2 Husqvarna chain saws I owned before the Polan. If you are getting an oil build up on the muffler you could go to a quality 40:1 oil (mixing it at the 40:1 mixture) without any problem. The oil DOES make a difference.
If you have an antique 2 cycle engine that was recommended to use with the old oils at a 24:1 ratio, going to a modern 40:1 oil at a bit less (your 33:1 would be a good bet) would be no problem.
There are also synthetic oils on the market here but I never tried them since they are so much more expensive over the regular oils. Maybe they have a higher oil burn characteristic which would eliminate your oil build up problem.

...but yes, if you are getting an oil build up definitely reduce your oil to gasoline/petrol ratio. I've done it with older chainsaws I owned over 30 years ago without any problems.
If an oil is rated 40:1 you should be able to use that mix ratio with confidence in any modern piece of equipment.

I had 2 Evinrude outboards years ago which ran on a 50:1 ratio using special oil, but marine applications are different because they are water cooled. Never use a marine engine oil in an air cooled engine.

I bet your Husqvarna oil is a 40:1 ratio, use that mixture and forget the 33:1.

KG4CGC
07-13-2009, 01:10 PM
I have a new Craftsman weedeater that calls for 50:1. Pour one tiny little container marked 50:1 in per gallon of gasoline. Fine business right?
Last season, the electric fuel pump on my scooter started to fail with only 5000 miles on the clock. I suspected that the gasoline had too much detergent in it. I've been wondering if I needed to add 50ml of prepared 2 stroke gas from the weedeater, per gallon of gas for the scooter to counteract the excessive detergent action of the gasoline in my area. The compression ratio for the scooter is 12:1 so aside from using racing fuel, I must run premium from the pump. I have not run racing fuel in it but the bike shops sell it in 10 gal. cans for $130+ LOL!
Any petrol experts?

HUGH
07-14-2009, 02:36 AM
I found both Oregon and Stihl 50:1 oils in my nearest cut-price mower shop, both oils claiming to exceed ISO EGD, both pink, possibly made by the same company. The "extreme" oil I found on the internet said 100:1.

The lesser 40:1 oils are also pink, there are a few of those which all seem to originate with the Husqvarna group who also own Partner, Flymo and McCullough brands, and the Husqvarna I have is green. It'd be nice if the labels had more details. There's no blue oil for boys however.

I'll follow the 40:1 advice immediately to start and see how it goes.

WØTKX
07-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Something like this Charles?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/18/176/12478/ITEM/Maxima-Hi-Test-Octane-Booster.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/OG/0000_Maxima_Hi-Test_Octane_Booster_--.jpg

kd6nig
07-14-2009, 10:09 AM
In CA 2 strokes are going to probably have to have a lot of smog junk on them. Or won't be allowed at all....

Glad I bought my weed eater when I did.

I personally buy the off brand at HD whenever I need some. It came with some brand name oil when I bought it. I haven't noticed much of a difference in smoke with either, honestly.

My Weed eater is in its 3rd season now though, I expect it to slowly get worse as it ages.

ka4dpo
01-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Any two stroke oil the has a BIA-TCW rating is fine. I used Shell 50:1 in my racing bikes for years with no problems. I still use it in my lawn mower, weed eater, and leaf blower with no problems. I mix it 32:1 for the mower but use it in everything everything and just like you, my weed eater and blower get very oily. About once a year I wash the carburators out with laquer thinner. Works like a champ.

Don't worry about it, just run a hotter plug in the items that call for a leaner mixture and clean them out once in a while. Unless you have run alcohol and Castor oil you don't know what gummy is.....

n8ats
02-13-2010, 02:32 PM
ya should not notice a big difference on a weedeater with just regular old 2 stroke oil, Husquvarna is fine, but also any marine or snowmobile oil will work non synthetic of course. now where the synthetic and such comes into play is when ya get into variable exhaust systems on larger 2 strokes. i.e. power valves and non synthetic 2 stroke oil makes more ash when burned and plugs the power valves up. it does burn cleaner but for the old weed beater why spend the money? also i would be careful if you choose to lighten up your mix on it being not only does the oil preform lubrication but it also helps with the cooling procedure, a bit spilled out the muffler is better than having to replace a piston and rings. this is not a professional opinion, but a dumb yoopers experience take it as ya need it. lol

KG4CGC
02-13-2010, 02:51 PM
lulz@yoopers!

N9FE
02-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Klotz or Amsoil are the best. synthetic oil is the only way to go.

KA9VQF
04-19-2010, 01:36 PM
In the days of yore we always used straight grade 30 oil in all the 2 stroke engines we had around the place. From chain saws to lawn mower and boat motors.

I had a Lawnboy mower that said it needed to have a 30:1 mix but I found it ran just great with the 50:1 mix I used in my Skidoo.

It wasn’t until I got my first motorcycle that I started buying dedicated 2 stroke oil. It was a 50 Bridgestone sport with the rotary valve engine. When I first got the little bike I was using the straight 30 weight like I used in everything else. After I split the cases and replaced the fiber rotary valve I started using the ‘better’ dedicated 2 stroke oil.

When I bought my ‘73- S3 Kawasaki three cylinder 350 I used the cheaper brand 2 stroke oil but got real tired real fast of having little drops of oil all over my back or my passenger.

I started using Flash 401. It made a big difference. Later I put in the copper head gasket and different heat range plugs and had even better success with burning all the oil the oil injector pump injected.

HUGH
04-19-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm now using 50:1 and all tools run well with no oiling up. It was a prophet of doom in one of the power tool suppliers who first insisted 25:1 was the only way to go. Thanks for all information!