PDA

View Full Version : Britain's Biggest Boozers

kg4kww
05-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Drink up, drink up, drink up and be happy, UT's are on stand by. :mrgreen:

Teachers and drivers are the UK's most moderate drinkers - but many are still knocking back more than they should, according to a new survey.

The Department of Health poll found people working in education, transport and travel were England's most moderate drinkers, consuming an average of 24 units per week.

But even that figure is above the limit recommended by the NHS - two to three units a day for women and a maximum of three to four units for men.

People in the media, publishing and entertainment are the heaviest drinkers, consuming an average of 44 units a week, the survey found.

IT workers drank an average of 34 units a week, followed by service sector workers at 33 units.

People in finance, insurance and real estate get through an average of 29 units.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-New ... t_-_Survey (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Britains-Heaviest-Drinkers-Are-People-Who-Work-In-The-Media-Publishing-And-Entertainment---Survey/Article/200905415287504?lpos=UK_News_First_Home_Article_Te aser_Region_7&lid=ARTICLE_15287504_Britains_Heaviest_Drinkers_Ar e_People_Who_Work_In_The_Media%2C_Publishing_And_E ntertainment_-_Survey)

WØTKX
05-24-2009, 11:31 AM
I need a drink. :wall

ki4itv
05-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Make mine a double.

kf0rt
05-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Slackers....

WØTKX
05-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Slackers....

You're right. I was being lazy... Google Images "deranged mortician".

First Hit. The <Insert favorite here> works in mysterious ways. :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.absintheposters.com/images/M/MFormaldehyde-Drinker-in-Assiette-au-Beurre-1907.jpg

M0GLO
05-24-2009, 12:16 PM
What, you thinking of setting up shop over here now?

That reminds me, it's after 5.
Think I'll go have a double.

W4GPL
05-24-2009, 12:20 PM
That reminds me, it's after 5.You wait until 5?

M0GLO
05-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Yeah, it's the Puritanical upbringing that was forced on me. :lol:

Actually, it's considered kind of gauche around here to drink Scotch before 5 or so and since that's all I really drink any more I just wait.
Funny though, in a country of heavy drinkers people look at me sideways for drinking Scotch anyway. I still have more than half the bottle I bought last month on the shelf but they still assume you've got some kind of drinking problem if you drink the real booze.

KG4CGC
05-24-2009, 03:59 PM

Actually, it's considered kind of gauche around here to drink Scotch before 5 or so and since that's all I really drink any more I just wait.
Funny though, in a country of heavy drinkers people look at me sideways for drinking Scotch anyway. I still have more than half the bottle I bought last month on the shelf but they still assume you've got some kind of drinking problem if you drink the real booze.
More like jealous because the media says that Americans can't handle their booze and since you came from America they're just waiting for you to go postal as soon as you take that first sip. You scare people Todd ... all people! LOL! :shock: :) :lol:

M0GLO
05-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Rightfully so, I'm an alien. :mrgreen:

N7RJD
05-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Teachers and drivers are the UK's most moderate drinkers - but many are still knocking back more than they should, according to a new survey.

But do their condoms fit?

kb2vxa
05-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Oh no.....

n6hcm
05-25-2009, 12:58 AM
24 units/week is an awful lot of beverages ...

KG4CGC
05-25-2009, 01:31 AM
But do their condoms fit?
Were they wearing panties?

rot
05-25-2009, 08:05 AM

That's pretty funny.
The remember the first time I went home with the wife to Queens, at 5p her mom annouced Martini time,everybody stopped and her brother mixed drinks. I'm like this is cool yessir I'll have one. Went out on the front porch and like everybody in the neighborhood was having "Martini Time." You could like walk across the street right into somebodies house and get a drink, chat a while and mosey on. Stopped at around 7p.
Funny..the old ladies were always served first and Nan(granny) drank striaght bourbon.
The ceremony would not proceed until she was in her chair..accessing her libation and discussing whatever....
:)
rot

HUGH
05-25-2009, 11:55 AM
Be careful of these here surveys, don't take them as gospel truth especially as this one seems to have come from Sky News.

I don't know anyone who can afford 24 units of Grog (sorry, Antipodean term) a week with Darling Alistair's current excise tax. Luckily the microbreweries seem to be coping well but the major brewers report a downturn in general beer sALEs. Consider the fact that women and some teenagers are switching to real beer instead of that fizzy yellow stuff, that I very much approve of.

How's the beer prices round Greenwich near to Chateau M0GLO and what's supplied locally?

M0GLO
05-25-2009, 03:57 PM
True enough, if it is Sky News then it is Rupert Murdoch and we know how reliable that is don't we?

24 units a week is really only 8 brews so at 2.20 a pint it's 17 quid a week.

I know that unit thing sounds so huge to an American but the way it works out a pint of regular Ale is about 4 units.

Use this to see what you drink a week:
http://www.drinkaware.co.uk/tips-and-tools/drink-diary/

One night out and you've had 24 units.

We have the usual around here, same as you will find in the square mile for the most part EXCEPT for this place in Blackheath called 0 Degrees, it's the local brew pub and their wares are gobsmacking to say the least. Well worth the visit to have a brew and hang out on the heath.

N2RJ
05-25-2009, 04:04 PM
True enough, if it is Sky News then it is Rupert Murdoch and we know how reliable that is don't we?

Well, I guess that simply means that the UK Government regulations regarding neutrality and fairness are weak and ineffective, right?

After all, to get and keep a broadcast licence over there in utopia, your news reporting has to truly be fair, balanced and factual. If that is not happening, then the UK Government (OfCom) is slacking off, not doing their jobs and wasting the taxpayers' money.

:mrgreen:

N2RJ
05-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Be careful of these here surveys, don't take them as gospel truth especially as this one seems to have come from Sky News.

This was not a Sky News survey. It was a survey done by the Department of Health:

The Department of Health poll found people working in education, transport and travel were England's most moderate drinkers, consuming an average of 24 units per week.

M0GLO
05-25-2009, 04:19 PM
You are correct, it was a Health Department survey. And it was Sky News (cable only by the way) that tried to blow it all out of proportion.
You did take a look at exactly what 24 units was didn't you?
Probably not, more likely you just started looking for ways to run interference for your boss again instead of checking out what was being said.

Oh, and since they are cable they are not bound by the same rules as on air broadcasters are. Same thing Rupert pulled in the US until he could get the Fairness Doctrine torpedoed.
Nice try though, too bad you choose to comment on the UK without really know anything about the UK.

kf0rt
05-25-2009, 05:14 PM

24 units a week is really only 8 brews so at 2.20 a pint it's 17 quid a week.

I know that unit thing sounds so huge to an American but the way it works out a pint of regular Ale is about 4 units.

Use this to see what you drink a week:
http://www.drinkaware.co.uk/tips-and-tools/drink-diary/

One night out and you've had 24 units.

We have the usual around here, same as you will find in the square mile for the most part EXCEPT for this place in Blackheath called 0 Degrees, it's the local brew pub and their wares are gobsmacking to say the least. Well worth the visit to have a brew and hang out on the heath.

Holy cow.
I'm a bloody lush!
:shock: :shock: :lol:

N8YX
05-25-2009, 05:16 PM
After all, to get and keep a broadcast licence over there in utopia, your news reporting has to truly be fair, balanced and factual. If that is not happening, then the UK Government (OfCom) is slacking off, not doing their jobs and wasting the taxpayers' money.
They're slackers, all right...by virtue of not making a regular series from the miniseries Jekyll. That was some fairly well-done telly...

N8YX
05-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Holy cow.
I'm a bloody lush!
We've got three cases of higher-end lagers in the 'fridge and a well-stocked liquor cabinet awaiting us...but I'll be lucky if I get to enjoy ONE beer this evening. Indoor/outdoor chores and all that ... :-|

kf0rt
05-25-2009, 05:35 PM
Holy cow.
I'm a bloody lush!
We've got three cases of higher-end lagers in the 'fridge and a well-stocked liquor cabinet awaiting us...but I'll be lucky if I get to enjoy ONE beer this evening. Indoor/outdoor chores and all that ... :-|

What are you, one of those old guys who thinks the lawn is important? :shock:

C'mon, live a little. Lotta guys died for what we got; I ain't wasting it on chores today. :)

N2RJ
05-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Oh, and since they are cable they are not bound by the same rules as on air broadcasters are.

Wrong as usual. Sky News is not just on cable. It is Free to Air on Astra (28.2°E) and also available on Freeview (channel 82), at least up to 2 years ago and I believe it still is today. Sky tried to move from freeview in 2007 but had to get the approval of Ofcom first.

Besides that, Sky also supplies agency news to a lot of UK radio stations. There is much, much more to Sky than the Sky News channel.

Same thing Rupert pulled in the US until he could get the Fairness Doctrine torpedoed.

Such rubbish, and more lies from you as usual.

The FD was abolished all the way back in 1987. This was well before Murdoch became a prominent player in US electronic media, and long before FNC was started.

I challenge you to show me a link between Murdoch and the FD.

Nice try though, too bad you choose to comment on the UK without really know anything about the UK.

Yet another thing you are wrong about. Keep it up, you really are on a roll today. :dance: :lol:

WX7P
05-25-2009, 05:40 PM
[quote=M0GLO]
Oh, and since they are cable they are not bound by the same rules as on air broadcasters are.

Wrong as usual. Sky News is not just on cable. It is Free to Air on Astra (28.2°E) and also available on Freeview (channel 82), at least up to 2 years ago and I believe it still is today. Sky tried to move from freeview in 2007 but had to get the approval of Ofcom first.

Besides that, Sky also supplies agency news to a lot of UK radio stations. There is much, much more to Sky than the Sky News channel.

Same thing Rupert pulled in the US until he could get the Fairness Doctrine torpedoed.

Such rubbish, and more lies from you as usual.

The FD was abolished all the way back in 1987. This was well before Murdoch became a prominent player in US electronic media, and long before FNC was started.

I challenge you to show me a link between Murdoch and the FD.

Yet another thing you are wrong about. Keep it up, you really are on a roll today. :dance: :lol:[/quote:kbnwyxqc]

He's there, you're not, case closed. Take your trolling to the 'zed.

N2RJ
05-25-2009, 05:41 PM
He's there, you're not, case closed.

All attack + no substance = nx6d.

By the way, ask Todd how he got his license in the UK. Unlike me, he didn't have to learn any of their regulations.

At least if my US license expires, my UK one would still be valid. Can't say the same of M/KV1M

Good job OfCom! :lol:

WX7P
05-25-2009, 05:43 PM

By the way, ask Todd how he got his license in the UK. Unlike me, he didn't have to learn any of their regulations.

All bluster and pure bullshit=N2RJ. Go get your diaper changed, Junior.

M0GLO
05-25-2009, 05:46 PM
More BS, that's satellite Ryan. Not the same thing now is it?

As for Rupert, he started buying media in the US in 1973 and became a citizen in 1986 in order to be able to own more than one media source.
You don't even know your own companies history? Shame on you.

As for Ruperts links to the FD demise, I'll find some and get back to you.

Lies are what you are about Ryan, don't be projecting your inadequacies on me.

WX7P
05-25-2009, 05:48 PM

As for Rupert, he started buying media in the US in 1973 and became a citizen in 1986 in order to be able to own more than one media source.
You don't even know your own companies history? Shame on you.

Lies are what you are about Ryan, don't be projecting your inadequacies on me.

He's got to project his inadequacies on SOMEONE, Todd. He's got so many he dumps on more than one person. A pathetic piece of work he is to be sure.

M0GLO
05-25-2009, 05:49 PM

At least if my US license expires, my UK one would still be valid. Can't say the same of M/KV1M

BWAAAAHAHAAAAA! Talk about no substance!
Go lobby OFCOM to recind the reciprocol licensing rules then little man.

N2RJ
05-25-2009, 05:51 PM

Why would I?

I already have a real licence, obtained with the (harder) city and guilds exam to boot. It's not like street cred is important to me. I just honestly wish we could have a discussion without it getting personal. But you and nx6d just don't seem to want to make that happen.

N2RJ
05-25-2009, 05:53 PM

Freeview is terrestrial like DTV here. It is received through an aerial, not via satellite! :lol: Where in the UK do you live again? You don't seem to know anything about the place. :chin:

Show me where he lobbied for the fairness doctrine to be repealed. Rupert was primarily in filmed entertainment (20th century fox) and newspapers in the 80s. The newspapers had NO fairness doctrine to worry about.

I'm waiting, but not holding my breath.

M0GLO
05-25-2009, 05:53 PM
You made it personal a while ago Ryan, and I told you I wouldn't let up if you went there again didn't I?

But please, go play the victim for a bit if you feel the need, the big bad old libbies is picking on the poor neocon troll boohoohoo! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

WX7P
05-25-2009, 05:55 PM

Why would I?

I already have a real licence, obtained with the (harder) city and guilds exam to boot. It's not like street cred is important to me. I just honestly wish we could have a discussion without it getting personal. But you and nx6d just don't seem to want to make that happen.

WHAHHHH! I'm a victim! WAAAAAAAAAAAH! Call the WAAAAAAAHbulance for little bitty Ryan. You ALWAYS start this crap, little boy. Don't pull this victim routine. You're the troll poster boy.

Unbelievable.

N2RJ
05-25-2009, 05:56 PM
WHAHHHH! I'm a victim! WAAAAAAAAAAAH! Call the WAAAAAAAHbulance for little bitty Ryan. You ALWAYS start this crap, little boy. Don't pull this victim routine. You're the troll poster boy.

Unbelievable.

I once did a search on your posts, it was about 80% attack and 20% talking about the actual subject at hand. :lol:

As for crying, I'm not the one crying, Dave. You seem to be the expert at that. :lol:

M0GLO
05-25-2009, 06:01 PM
Freeview is like terrestrial DTV here. Where in the UK do you live again? You don't seem to know anything about the place. :chin:

Show me where he lobbied for the fairness doctrine to be repealed. Rupert was primarily in filmed entertainment (20th century fox) and newspapers in the 80s. The newspapers had NO fairness doctrine to worry about.

WRONG.
You fail epically.

You know, I have a freeview box and I just rolled around the channels here, we have a (1) Sky entertainment channel that doesn't carry news and that is it. Period. No more.
The rest is satellite and cable where Sky is concerned.

And Rupert started Fox News Channel in 1985, previously he owned at least one station and 8 prominent newspapers from which he tried to influence US policy as he does to this day.

YOU -> RYAN <- FAIL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

WX7P
05-25-2009, 06:01 PM

Unbelievable.

I once did a search on your posts, it was about 80% attack and 20% talking about the actual subject at hand. :lol:

As for crying, I'm not the one crying, Dave. You seem to be the expert at that. :lol:

Wow, I'm devastated by that unsubstantiated piece of research you did. [/sarcasm]

That's not going to fly, little lord Foxuelroy. Your little playground ego gets out of control and you turn into a flaming mess of poo flinging idiocy. You constantly whine about being attacked, just like you did here, even though you start 90% of the poo flinging.

Man up, Junior or get the hell out.

HUGH
05-26-2009, 02:18 AM
[quote="M0GLO"]You are correct, it was a Health Department survey. And it was Sky News (cable only by the way) that tried to blow it all out of proportion.
You did take a look at exactly what 24 units was didn't you?

I didn't check, Todd. 24 units sounds like a great deal but isn't at all. Mea Culpa, I fell for the sensation but not the substance just as Sky expected.

I worked as an engineer for a TV News Agency for about ten years and I know that journalists are only human, very nice folk some of them, I also used to consume quantities of real ale in the pub opposite the building because they were good company and needed a non-journalist to talk to. Their management gradually became more dictatorial and recruitment started to acquire an younger, more malleable staff. It became forbidden to bring alcohol onto the premises and the new staff were actively discouraged from visiting the pub. News editing was eventually down to management (one chief had a degree in Aramaic, what's that to do with journalism?) and not individuals.

Where am I going with this? It's a diversion about TV news reporting in general aiming at sensationalism to capture the audience but containing little substance. On returning from California I was delighted to read the Daily Telegraph and catch up with real, fully informative news. Sorry, it doesn't say much for US TV news either, perhaps UK TV news is also aiming at a shorter attention span. It's certainly more parochial.

Anyway, we are told a little booze is good one moment, bad the next, binging probably is bad, abstainance is not good.........I don't intend to change the habit of a lifetime and also make my own wine as well in case the supply runs out.

HUGH
05-26-2009, 02:26 AM
A postscript:

OFCOM has had so many cutbacks it's hard to see how they can oversee anything much except things which net them some revenue.

Rupert Murdoch was one of Thatcher's cronies, she recognised the importance of the news media in steering the public in the direction she intended. I won't go on about her other philosophies here although it would be easy.

WX7P
05-26-2009, 04:44 AM
A postscript:

OFCOM has had so many cutbacks it's hard to see how they can oversee anything much except things which net them some revenue.

Rupert Murdoch was one of Thatcher's cronies, she recognised the importance of the news media in steering the public in the direction she intended. I won't go on about her other philosophies here although it would be easy.

You probably are best not to, Hugh. You'd get attacked by Rupert's resident little flying monkey, little lord Foxuelroy.

WØTKX
05-26-2009, 05:48 AM
Elite flying monkey bringing Lord Murdoch his drink.

http://api.ning.com/files/A5-GOpUczqtvldqxakgxrXgTN7PA5UW0TxctJYrOFeThqJOd-rZcCzZhIuj4rdjzhWfnXyKite6zNZwomnGDQPZvg1dp2Wa9/MonkeyButlerA.png?width=450

N8YX
05-26-2009, 07:25 AM
Holy cow.
I'm a bloody lush!

C'mon, live a little. Lotta guys died for what we got; I ain't wasting it on chores today. :)
Saturday and Sunday were our "playing around" days. Yesterday was spent contemplating...all the bugs which were acquired on the bikes during our rides. A large part of the afternoon and evening was given to cleanup and PM; when I'm turning wrenches, I will not afford myself the luxury of even one beer.

Afterwards, however, was a different matter altogether. :lol:

kf0rt
05-26-2009, 07:31 AM
Holy cow.
I'm a bloody lush!

Saturday and Sunday were our "playing around" days. Yesterday was spent contemplating...all the bugs which were acquired on the bikes during our rides. A large part of the afternoon and evening was given to cleanup and PM; when I'm turning wrenches, I will not afford myself the luxury of even one beer.

Afterwards, however, was a different matter altogether. :lol:

Sounds like you've got your priorities straight. :dance

kg4kww
05-26-2009, 11:51 PM
I think you guys need a drink.

[attachment=0:2k74vwiu]beerdrinker-keg.gif[/attachment:2k74vwiu]

KG4CGC
08-23-2010, 11:31 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/ramsey1.jpg

NA4BH
08-23-2010, 11:42 PM
http://www.buckaroosfunnypictures.com/files/piks/partyover.jpg

w6tmi
08-24-2010, 01:13 AM
I know you all cannot handle 'kww's raw honesty and wit (ok and his silly politics and "big balls") but the guy was good for some humor and funny shit, (some of which might have been actually intentional) I miss those UT jokes. Was he banned for something horridly horrible or just 'cause he got on someone's last nerve?

N8YX
08-24-2010, 06:23 AM
Was he banned for something horridly horrible or just 'cause he got on someone's last nerve?
Telling the staff at large to fuck off then threatening them with legal action because you were timed out as a result is an efficient way to lose one's posting privileges. Permanently, I might add.

'TB (suddenseer) once commented that it takes an extreme case of the stupids to get tossed off here, as we tend to afford our members a fair amount of leeway. Yet, some manage to cut directly to the punchline and earn their walking papers in short order.

ki4itv
08-24-2010, 07:21 AM
I know you all cannot handle 'kww's raw honesty and wit (ok and his silly politics and "big balls") but the guy was good for some humor and funny shit, (some of which might have been actually intentional) I miss those UT jokes. Was he banned for something horridly horrible or just 'cause he got on someone's last nerve?

He's been a member of some of the local clubs I participated in.
It wasn't an act. He's an uncomfortably funny person and seems to take every awkward situation all the way to its forthcoming detonation.

I actually like much of the Greg I know, but the uncomfortable parts are hard to avoid.

VE7DCW
08-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Telling the staff at large to fuck off then threatening them with legal action because you were timed out as a result is an efficient way to lose one's posting privileges. Permanently, I might add.

'TB (suddenseer) once commented that it takes an extreme case of the stupids to get tossed off here, as we tend to afford our members a fair amount of leeway. Yet, some manage to cut directly to the punchline and earn their walking papers in short order.

This describes him to a tee! ....... it was astounding to see how quickly he got himself into trouble.An obnoxious undertaker who went out of his way to show his non political correct ways..... his "OL" was probably quite proud of him.... :roll:

N2NH
08-24-2010, 04:09 PM
"Britain's Biggest Boozers"

Jeez, my eyes are really wonky. I thought that Z in the title was a B.

The other day I was in the store and read "Slightly Used Milk" and asked my girl what does that mean? And how "Slightly Used???"

N8YX
08-24-2010, 04:17 PM
The other day I was in the store and read "Slightly Used Milf"
Keep your eyes peeled for one of dem.

K7SGJ
08-24-2010, 05:07 PM
In the face of adversity, panic, and floods............

NQ6U
08-24-2010, 05:08 PM
Never let a little thing like a flood get in the way of a good pint!

K7SGJ
08-24-2010, 05:09 PM
Never happen!

NA4BH
08-24-2010, 05:22 PM
FREE THE UT ONE

If we only had a poster

KG4CGC
08-24-2010, 05:25 PM
FREE THE UT ONE

If we only had a poster
Funny posters or no, that died in '09.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/UT.jpg

KJ3N
08-24-2010, 06:57 PM

Shouldn't that read, "The New Dope"?

KG4CGC
08-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Shouldn't that read, "The New Dope"?
I have a feeling that in this case, it has been a life long avocation.

rot
08-24-2010, 07:45 PM

+ alot
Flush the turd.
rot

WØTKX
08-24-2010, 07:59 PM
Sometimes folks are regular dorks, and then there are award winning dorks... :shifty:

http://static.stuff.co.nz/1233108507/908/446908.jpg

KG4CGC
08-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Sometimes folks are regular dorks, and then there are award winning dorks... :shifty:

http://static.stuff.co.nz/1233108507/908/446908.jpg:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::giggity:

W7XF
08-25-2010, 12:50 AM

:vomit: :vomit:

No Crypt Boi on this Island. NEVER!!!! :yes:

W1GUH
08-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Well, I'm proud to say that I did my civic duty (heh heh:bbh:) last night a broke in a new bartender at one of the bars I frequent.

I once heard that "two drinks a day (or was it a week?) make one an alcoholic." Guess I've been an alcoholic since I was old enough...and proud of it!

NQ6U
08-25-2010, 02:35 PM
I once heard that "two drinks a day (or was it a week?) make one an alcoholic." Guess I've been an alcoholic since I was old enough...and proud of it!

Having had some little experience with this topic, let me say that how much or how often you drink isn't necessarily what makes you an alcoholic. What makes you an alcoholic is when you find that once you take a drink, you can't stop drinking until you're drunk.

N8YX
08-25-2010, 02:41 PM
What makes you an alcoholic is when you find that once you take a drink, you can't stop drinking until you're drunk.
How about just until you've got a nice buzz going?

NQ6U
08-25-2010, 02:47 PM
How about just until you've got a nice buzz going?

Depends. Can you take one drink without it leading to taking another and eventual intoxication, even if it's just a buzz? If not, then you've got a problem. Not that there's anything wrong with setting out to get a buzz, I've done it often enough myself, but some folks are unable to control their intake of alcohol once they start drinking. Those people are known as alcoholics.

ki4itv
08-25-2010, 02:54 PM
What makes you an alcoholic is when you find that once you take a drink, you can't stop drinking until you can't get your f'n hands on anymore.

Fixed...due to a glaring lack of intensity. :yes:

NQ6U
08-25-2010, 02:56 PM
What makes you an alcoholic is when you find that once you take a drink, you can't stop drinking until you can't get your f'n hands on anymore.

That, too.

KG4CGC
08-25-2010, 03:03 PM
I was trying to get some antidepressants in 2007. I told the doc (very old bat) that after I came home from work every night that I would drink two (2) beers. She started in on me real hard, "Do you think that's a problem? Do you think you need help? Do you think you're an alcoholic?" I looked at her like she lost her freaking mind and she was glaring at me like I just committed a crime against humanity. I figure the doc needed to know about any alcohol consumption before prescribing meds.
I asked her, "Since when does drinking 2 beers make one an alcoholic?" Then I recalled a documentary where the temperance movement as it was during the 90's was suggesting that any alcohol consumption at all was alcoholism. One of the women they interviewed used to drink a glass or two of wine at night before bed. Someone convinced her that she was an alcoholic and she started attending AA meetings. After spending a year going to AA she realized that the person who convinced her to go was full of shat and that she was nothing like the people that attended AA. In the end, she told her friend to fsck the hell off.

I've seen this play out in real life. Guy comes home and pops open a beer and the MIL is there and she whips out her bible and starts on about strong drink and spirits, screaming the whole time. If you are predisposed to alcoholism to start with, you will know at an early age. Sensitivity to sugar is a good indication. Also, at some point you will hear about your relatives who are alcoholics and may even witness them firsthand.

W1GUH
08-25-2010, 03:11 PM
Related to that...

Once when I was taking penicillin, I searched the web to find out if it was OK to drink when taking it. The final answer was that it wasn't dangerous but the alcohol might reduce the effectiveness of the penicillin. BUT....I had to wade through so much judgemental BS like, "Do you really want that drink?" or "What's wrong with abstinence?"...crap like that in hit after hit. ARGH!!!!

KG4CGC
08-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Related to that...

Once when I was taking penicillin, I searched the web to find out if it was OK to drink when taking it. The final answer was that it wasn't dangerous but the alcohol might reduce the effectiveness of the penicillin. BUT....I had to wade through so much judgemental BS like, "Do you really want that drink?" or "What's wrong with abstinence?"...crap like that in hit after hit. ARGH!!!!
The temperance groups are a bunch of self inflated twats. The difference between them and a real honest to goodness twat is, that the temperance groups are constantly on the rag 100% of the time.

N8YX
08-25-2010, 04:25 PM
Depends. Can you take one drink without it leading to taking another and eventual intoxication, even if it's just a buzz? If not, then you've got a problem. Not that there's anything wrong with setting out to get a buzz, I've done it often enough myself, but some folks are unable to control their intake of alcohol once they start drinking. Those people are known as alcoholics.
I've got three cases of beer in the 'fridge and a very well stocked liquor cabinet...and am drinking tea at the moment. WTF is wrong with me?

NA4BH
08-25-2010, 04:27 PM
I have a full keg, bunches-o-wine, tons of liquor, a bunch of high octane beer, and I am drinking lemonade. We need help.

KG4CGC
08-25-2010, 04:41 PM
I drank 2 beers (almost) on Saturday. One drink on Sunday. Nothing since then ... yet. I have the better part of a 12 pack of New Castle in the fridge.
I've been considering a trip to the "Package Store" but I just don't have a taste for it just yet.
I promised myself that I would not get on the air until I passed my Extra. Maybe I won't have a drink until then either. I'm currently hitting the practice tests at a solid 80% but that's not good enough at this QTH.

NA4BH
08-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Great, I just lost a drinking buddy.

KG4CGC
08-25-2010, 04:54 PM
Great, I just lost a drinking buddy.
Sounds like you're saying I can't pass the Extra. LOL!
I got 100% on the Tech in 1999 and that test was harder than the General I took in 2008. I did miss one question on the General. I got 60m power output confused with 30m power out. Brainfart.

NA4BH
08-25-2010, 05:02 PM
No it's the part about not being interested in a trip to the package store. That's how it starts. Next comes trips to the discount Bible store, followed by trips to the full priced Bible stores. Classic symptoms. :rofl: :rofl:

KG4CGC
08-25-2010, 05:08 PM
No it's the part about not being interested in a trip to the package store. That's how it starts. Next comes trips to the discount Bible store, followed by trips to the full priced Bible stores. Classic symptoms. :rofl: :rofl:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/AVATARFatherSwoltheVicarBWsmall.jpg

ki4itv
08-25-2010, 07:25 PM
I've got three cases of beer in the 'fridge and a very well stocked liquor cabinet...and am drinking tea at the moment. WTF is wrong with me?

You haven't invited me over yet. I could solve that problem for you in a jiffy.
Sounds like light work to me.
:lol: