PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

KG4CGC
05-10-2009, 10:02 PM
This is the place to discuss brand and style preferences in bikes.
I have nothing on a personal level against the Harley Davidson brand. I like a bike that has the agility of a crotch rocket but prefer the looks of a cruiser.
Each brand has its pros and cons.
For my purposes, I like reliability and low maintenance the way Honda has given us. Stylewise I like the cruiser lay out with a low seat height. I'm only 5'6" so that's a must. If a crotch rocket with an understated style was built then that could work. By that same token, a Harley that could be slapped around and abused (not in a bad way) and not have to be treated like a China doll could work too.
That's just me and I know that a Honda will always be a good decision.
What about you?
I want to know why you like your bike.
If it's not just about style then what else should a potential rider know?
Be honest and remember not to degrade the poster.
Thanks Everyone ;)

N2RJ
05-10-2009, 10:24 PM
I need a new bike. Used to ride a HD 1200 (custom) for a couple of years but sold it.

Still have my class M active.

KC9KHG
05-10-2009, 10:37 PM
I have owned several bikes. Now I have an old 1974 Yamaha and an 1994 H-D Sportster.The H-D being my main ride. Before the H-D was an 1978 Honda 750 four.

I prefer the Sportster most of all.I've always loved the looks.Mine has the small peanut gas tank which I think gives it that old time hot rod bike look.The Sportster is the one that seems the most solid going down the road to me.I've owned it for 12 yrs. and have put over 40,000 miles on it with nothing more than tires and normal maintenance.

KG4CGC
05-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Welcome to The Island Randall.

KC9KHG
05-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Welcome to The Island Randall.

Thanks! But please...drop the all and replace with a y. Only time I get called Randall is when I'm in trouble :lol:

KG4CGC
05-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Welcome to the Island Randy.http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/samadams_utopiasmm.jpg

KC9KHG
05-10-2009, 11:06 PM
Very good...Thank-you! You make me feel right at home!
I'll have a Rum and Coke,hold the Rum.

KA5PIU
05-10-2009, 11:14 PM
Hello.

I like bikes but find the biker scene is just too plastic today.
A part of that is the sheer expense of a bike now.
For what it costs to buy anything H-D now one can run out and buy a nice car.
That and society itself has changed.
Years ago, the drug scene was much quieter.
Now, that is the scene.
A biker bash in the past was an event where somebody got his butt kicked.
Just a week ago some biker got popped.
The guy who did it was beaten, stabbed, and finally, run over.
The pickup is the new "bike".
Sinaloa Cowboy is what I run.
And, yes, I play Coca-Cola cowboy, but no snow on that martini.

N7RJD
05-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Speaking of bikes and biking, about three months to Sturgis.

I sure wish I had a chunk of property about a mile outside of Sturgis, SD. I could charge folks for parking their trucks and trailers before riding their bikes that last mile into town.

It was real funny one year when we had a guy stop in for gas. He was wearing a T-shirt that pretty much tore up the guys that trailer their bikes. When he walked out he went to his pickup. It was the one with the trailer full of bikes. I actually joked with him about it.

WØTKX
05-11-2009, 12:26 AM
I've been to Sturgis twice... on RICE! :shock: Nobody cared much... :lol:

Never owned an HD, but I've rented some nice ones on vacation. Couple of Victory bikes too. But they are $pendy.

I love cheap bikes. I've never spent more than $2500 on a bike. I've owned a pile of UJM's... the Universal Japanese Motorcycle. I like the upright standard stance. Mild cruisers and a couple of crotch rockets. More mid size than big.

Favorites...

1978 Honda CB-360. This silly bike got amazing gas mileage, never broke, and handled well with upgraded shocks and decent tires. I rode it for 6 years, paid $475 for it.

1983 Yamaha FZ-750. Wildest ride I've ever owned. Genesis 5 valve motor design is really slick. Just ate the miles up, difficult to stay legal on. Seat surgery with gel pads required, handled as if under telepathic command. Brakes like suction cups. Tiny front tire wore out really fast. Found it with only 18,000 miles on it, rotted tires. A steal for $1000.

1982 Yamaha Maxim 750. Mild cruiser, shaft drive, kind of a pig in the corners, but really comfortable. Rode this bike all over CO, AZ, UT, WY, and NM. Reliable, and trusty. Picked it up for $600, it had 33,000 on it, and I sold it with 78,000.

1976 Yamaha RD-400. Till I got the Genesis, this was the craziest corner diver I ever owned. Just tons of power, light and nimble. Wicked chainsaw on steroids sounds. I traded straight up for it... Honda CL-450 basket case I got for free and fixed up.

1980 Honda CR-500. I tried to break this thing. Repeatedly. It almost broke me a few times. Had it for a long time, and we both got very, very dirty. I miss dirt biking. This was $1400, but it was only 4 years old when I got it, and had a butt ugly paint job from a silly local racing team. Friends who raced wanted me to get into it, I was too mellow to race.

1969 Honda XL-350. Hey, this was my first bike. Cool scrambler pipes, I went camping all over MT and BC Canada with it. Annoyingly buzzy over 60, but it was fantastic on crappy back roads. I put an over sized tank on it, which I kept painting in butt-ugly ways. :lol: $600.00 and a Dual turntable thrown in.

I'm checking out a 1996 Seca II and a 1982 Kawasaki 454 LTD right now. Both are cherry, under $2000, and under 15,000 miles. I just missed out on a KLR-650 for $2200.

My right hand is twitching in an odd rotary fashion when I sleep. Must get this fixed. :drool

ae6ip
05-11-2009, 01:54 AM
Never been much for bikes on pavement. Too many ways to turn into an organ donor. Only bike I ever owned, and I still kick myself for selling it, was a Bultaco Alpina 350 that I bought new in 74 or 75 for four hundred bucks.

I almost bought an Indian when they were briefly making them again. Lot of vintage Indians out this way, of course. Damn fine bike. Only thing Harley ever had on Indian was that Harley sound.

It seems that most of the custom bikes built in socal end up here, in the hands of weekend wannabes. Any nice Saturday or Sunday afternoon, you can find a couple million dollars worth of custom bikes at Alice's Restaurant around noon. (That's about fifteen bikes, out of the fifty or so that will be there, for those of you playing along at home.)

w2amr
05-11-2009, 02:24 AM
Where's Todd and Fred? :twisted:

N8YX
05-11-2009, 05:23 AM
Waiting for you to catch up...slow V-twin and all that. :whistle:

Contrary to what some may think, I'm totally brand-neutral...as long as the bike in question makes enough power to get out of its own way. The Harley we've most often talked about buying is the Night Rod, and I'm thinking about throwing something from the Turbo Connection on it.

'DSG would like to see the Revolution engine bumped up to, say, 1400cc and put in a touring bike chassis. She likes the Electra and Road Glide series but finds them a bit underpowered, even in their 110" CVO form. A couple friends of ours are involved with H-D's Demo Ride program at the corporate level, and every time they're back in town we bug 'em to come out with a bagger-'Rod...

As far as exotics go: Either the Y2K jet or a 'Big Johnson':

http://www.richmondlabs.com/Automotive/RichmondV8/johnson2.jpg

Another friend - who worked at the KC/MO Sportster Plant - knows the guys making these. 500lbs lighter than a Boss Hoss. Chassis kit (no motor or front end) can be had for about $15K and I have a buddy at Summit Racing who can put me into a 600HP all-aluminum smallblock Chevy for it.

w2amr
05-11-2009, 05:39 AM
Waiting for you to catch up...slow V-twin and all that. :whistle:

Contrary to what some may think, I'm totally brand-neutral...as long as the bike in question makes enough power to get out of its own way. The Harley we've most often talked about buying is the Night Rod, and I'm thinking about throwing something from the Turbo Connection on it.

'DSG would like to see the Revolution engine bumped up to, say, 1400cc and put in a touring bike chassis. She likes the Electra and Road Glide series but finds them a bit underpowered, even in their 110" CVO form. A couple friends of ours are involved with H-D's Demo Ride program at the corporate level, and every time they're back in town we bug 'em to come out with a bagger-'Rod...

As far as exotics go: Either the Y2K jet or a 'Big Johnson':

http://www.richmondlabs.com/Automotive/RichmondV8/johnson2.jpg

Another friend - who worked at the KC/MO Sportster Plant - knows the guys making these. 500lbs lighter than a Boss Hoss. Chassis kit (no motor or front end) can be had for about $15K and I have a buddy at Summit Racing who can put me into a 600HP all-aluminum smallblock Chevy for it.
Big engine pissing contests never turned me on. For me there's more to riding than seeing how fast it will go, or how much gas it will burn, or how much aftermarket junk I can bolt on it.

N8YX
05-11-2009, 05:48 AM
Big engine pissing contests never turned me on. For me there's more to riding than seeing how fast it will go, or how much gas it will burn, or how much aftermarket junk I can bolt on it.
Did I mention it turns and brakes too? :mrgreen:

KG4CGC
05-11-2009, 06:06 AM
Are we going to get another one shut down? I was hoping to learn a few thing based of past real world experiences or is it even possible that old bikers are even more curmudgeonly than old hams?

N8YX
05-11-2009, 07:21 AM
Are we going to get another one shut down? I was hoping to learn a few thing based of past real world experiences or is it even possible that old bikers are even more curmudgeonly than old hams?
Foul language is what got the other one shut down.

The 'brand vs. brand' thing is as old as Harley vs. Indian, when we all know that Excelsior was by far the better motorcycle of the day.

Many riders see things from an engineering standpoint, while others are definite victims of marketing hype. Think of them as the Neocons of the two-wheeled set.

There are certain Harleys I would like to have. There are certain Harleys which you couldn't pay me twice their worth to push off the showroom floor. Ditto a number of offerings from Big Red, the Tuning-Fork Gang and all the other manufacturers. Some have been real gems. Some have been absolute dogs.

When Honda dropped the Valkyrie, myself and a lot of other people collectively gave them the two-finger salute and went off looking for something else which doesn't look like a two-wheeled Winnebago. The GL1800 Gold Wing is arguably the best touring motorcycle ever conceived but it doesn't do a thing for me. I don't want one.

KG4CGC
05-11-2009, 07:54 AM
The Valkyrie was a beautiful bike and the Rune even more so but not at 24 grand in 2004. The Gold Wing has a long history but your description is dead on LOL! Winnebago!
I believe Honda discontinued the Valkyrie line because it just didn't sell like they wanted it to. Oh well.

N8YX
05-11-2009, 08:15 AM
The Valkyrie was a beautiful bike and the Rune even more so but not at 24 grand in 2004. The Gold Wing has a long history but your description is dead on LOL! Winnebago!
I believe Honda discontinued the Valkyrie line because it just didn't sell like they wanted it to. Oh well.
When Honda brought out the Valkyrie in '97, they decided to play things a bit coy and build a limited number of them for that first year. When the marketing department projected a heavy demand for the GL1500C - a demand which was based on initial sales figures - Honda boosted production levels through the roof...

...and as a result, crates of unsold '98s sat in dealer warehouses when the initial "rush" was through. Too big, too intimidating. More than one new owner took theirs out ONCE, became skeered and parked the machine. But in reality, they're one of the most user-friendly bikes in existence.

How good of a motorcycle are they? I personally know of one gent - ex-CHP officer - who at this writing has 260,000 miles on his '97. A club member in Japan has over 350,000 on a '98 and the thing shows no signs of quitting.

By the time people had begun to realize what a gem the bike is, Honda had dropped the bike in favor of (ho hum) yet another V-twin clone. I like my VTX - got one he!! of a deal on it from the original owner - but a Valkyrie it isn't.

Between myself and 'DSG, we own five of them. IMO, the Interstate model is as capable of a touring platform as the GL1800 but it looks like a MOTORcycle. Too controversial for Honda, and too likely to cut into GL1800 sales...so it went bye-bye.

And the Rune?

It's spelled "RUIN" for all who aren't familiar with the machine.

Yet another sterling example of Mother Honda humping the pooch. Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD, and IMHO the Rune is the personification of that sentiment. Still, some people like them.

KB3LAZ
05-11-2009, 09:19 AM
I dont have "brand loyalty". I have also never owned a bike that ran at the time of purchase. :lol: I had an old Yamaha 650, Suzuki 450, Harley sportster (1200), and a Honda shadow 750(that one was my dads). Aside from the shadow they were all junk and only ran long enough for me to fix them again. :lol: Well actually the Suzuki cleaned up quite nice but I gave it to my Grandfather(it only cost me $500 including the parts to fix it). So if I wanna take it for a ride I still can.

What would I like to have, I will show you!

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Cont ... odel/flstc (http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/2009_Motorcycles/2009_Motorcycles.jsp?locale=en_US#/model/flstc)

:D

N8YX
05-11-2009, 09:37 AM
This right here, with a turbo:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/media/images/usedbike/static/2008NightRod-VRSCD_2454b.jpg

I like the mid-shift controls instead of the 'Rod's normal forwards. Only beef with this bike is that it's doesn't have an inverted fork but Storz and Meanstreet (among others) can fix that.

KB3LAZ
05-11-2009, 09:43 AM

http://www.harley-davidson.com/media/images/usedbike/static/2008NightRod-VRSCD_2454b.jpg

I like the mid-shift controls instead of the 'Rod's normal forwards. Only beef with this bike is that it's doesn't have an inverted fork but Storz and Meanstreet (among others) can fix that.

Ewww....its ugly! :lol:

N8YX
05-11-2009, 09:54 AM
You wouldn't be seeing much of it except for the taillight. I'll make sure to fit something neat...LED, perhaps. :lol:

N8YX
05-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Lose the forwards and that 240-series back tire. It makes an otherwise capable motorcycle handle like a pig through the turns:

http://www.boostisgood.com/vrod/IMG_0225.JPG

KB3LAZ
05-11-2009, 10:14 AM
I obey the speed limit. :lol: If I am driving it then it will never see over 65mph anyway.

kd6nig
05-11-2009, 10:56 AM
I obey the speed limit. :lol: If I am driving it then it will never see over 65mph anyway.

Well you're smarter than a lot of the ones I've seen on COPS :)

I've thought about getting a bike and stuff, but every time I start to think seriously I see some idiot on one doing something stupid (and the adverse reaction) or the simple fact that most drivers don't watch for bikes.

So, I dunno. Its not possible right now anyway, though I've heard prices have fell.

w2amr
05-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Could be. ;)

w0aew
05-11-2009, 11:34 AM
I really like my '06 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 fi. Shaft drive, car-like maintenance, and carries the XYL and me up and down the Rockies. It's a bit piggy in the corners, especially with a passenger and stuffed saddlebags, but it's a joy to ride.

For zipping around Longmont, I like borrowing the XYL's little Vespa ET-2 (50cc). Even with my bulk sitting in the saddle it'll do 40mph on the flats.

w2amr
05-11-2009, 11:38 AM
:quiet

w2amr
05-11-2009, 11:59 AM

I agree. I hate the looks of those things.
On the other hand, my bosses son is selling this. I kind of like the retro look. Check out dem wide whites.
http://media8.dropshots.com/photos/88780/20090511/094439.jpg
http://media6.dropshots.com/photos/88780/20090511/094449.jpg

N8YX
05-11-2009, 12:07 PM
It's the wave of the future, George...especially in light of further EPA-mandated motorcycle emissions reduction...

M0GLO
05-11-2009, 03:26 PM
I'm finally home, long day.

I've had:

1 Yamaha 750 Twin
1 Honda 350 (don't remember which ine and don't really care)
7 Yamaha RD 350's (I liked these, Mulholand Drive was a lot of fun with these little beasties)
1 1976 Harley Sportser XLH 1000 (I know, it was a basketball :lol: )
1 1978 Kawasaki GPZ 750

I liked em all (except the Honda) but the Harley was the one I'd buy again for one reason:
I could ride it for 600 miles without needing a back brace when I finished my ride.

Breaking speed limits on public roads is what dumb kids with a death wish do.
I know, I used to do that too.

If I need to go over double interstate speed limits I'll go to the track and do it right thank you.

w2amr
05-11-2009, 03:31 PM
I'm finally home, long day.

I've had:

1 Yamaha 750 Twin
1 Honda 350 (don't remember which ine and don't really care)
7 Yamaha RD 350's (I liked these, Mulholand Drive was a lot of fun with these little beasties)
1 1976 Harley Sportser XLH 1000 (I know, it was a basketball :lol: )
1 1978 Kawasaki GPZ 750

I liked em all (except the Honda) but the Harley was the one I'd buy again for one reason:
I could ride it for 600 miles without needing a back brace when I finished my ride.

Breaking speed limits on public roads is what dumb kids with a death wish do.
I know, I used to do that too.

If I need to go over double interstate speed limits I'll go to the track and do it right thank you.
I had two 76 Sportsters Todd. And XLH and an XLCH. That was during the AMF days. We used to call them pin setter bikes. I got rid of the XLCH because it was destroying my right leg. :lol:

M0GLO
05-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Yeah, there was that. :lol:
Think I'll get one with a starter next time.

Not like that would have helped the basketballs much, probably would have just drained the battery, then destroyed the right leg. :lol:

w2amr
05-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Yeah, there was that. :lol:
Think I'll get one with a starter next time.

Not like that would have helped the basketballs much, probably would have just drained the battery, then destroyed the right leg. :lol:
SOP for starting a flooded XLCH. Turn the switch off, hold the throttle wide open, and kick it 3 or 4 times to clear the cylinders. One time I forgot to turn the switch off. On the 2nd try it kicked back and damn near launched me over the handlebars. From that point on, I never forgot to turn the switch off. :lol:

ki4itv
05-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Speaking of starters...
My high school transportation was a 82 Honda FT500 like the one posted below. The FT was a single cylinder 500 cc flat track styled bike. This thing ate starters like mad, did not have a kick starter at all... so I spent a lot of time getting a running start, popping the clutch in first gear. Bike weighed less than 400 lbs. so I really had to land a solid rump on it or the rear tire would just slide and not start. As much trouble as it was, I loved that bike. Traded it in for payments and a Interceptor VF750.

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/3006/vintage1982hondaft500as.jpg

w2amr
05-11-2009, 04:28 PM
Speaking of starters...
My high school transportation was a 82 Honda FT500 like the one posted below. The FT was a single cylinder 500 cc flat track styled bike. This thing ate starters like mad, did not have a kick starter at all... so I spent a lot of time getting a running start, popping the clutch in first gear. Bike weighed less than 400 lbs. so I really had to land a solid rump on it or the rear tire would just slide and not start. As much trouble as it was, I loved that bike. Traded it in for payments and a Interceptor VF750.

Cool ,I always liked one lungers. I remeber BSA made a 4 stroke single way back when. It may have been 500 CC's too. I think they were all painted orange.

KG4CGC
05-11-2009, 05:26 PM
http://www.motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/Custom/1972_honda_chopper.jpg

http://www.motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/Custom/1974-honda-cb750.jpg

http://www.motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/Custom/trophy.jpg

http://www.motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/Custom/honda-vtx.jpg

http://www.motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/Custom/honda-cx500-bobber.jpg

http://www.motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/Custom/cb750-f-custom.jpg

http://www.motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/Custom/HONDA-GOLDCHOP.jpg

http://www.motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/Custom/cb750_chopper.jpg

http://www.motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/Custom/HONDA_CB_1000.jpg

http://www.motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/Custom/HONDA_CB750_CHOPPER.jpg

One V-twin in the whole bunch. The red and black VTX.

WØTKX
05-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Speaking of starters...

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/3006/vintage1982hondaft500as.jpg

There's one of those locally, I'm waiting for an Email answer. Honda CB-700SC Nighthawk S out there too... my ex-girlfriend had one, and it's a great bike.

http://www.factorypro.com/images/bikes/bike_honda,cb700sc.jpg

w2amr
05-11-2009, 06:16 PM
This is my primary summer work transportation. An 81 Honda CB750
I bought it for $450. It had been sitting for years and it took me a couple of months and an additional $350 get it road worthy. This is my 3rd season with it. It's a great bike.
http://media5.dropshots.com/photos/88780/20070916/115433.jpg

KA5PIU
05-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Hello.

Ditto on the Gold Wing.
The bike I like right now is the BMW police special, as delivered to the dealer, no lights or radio.
The reason I like this bike is the fact that is one of the few bikes out there built to take a sidecar, for winter riding, and has all the right stuff to support a 100+ watt tranceiver as well as HF operation, and it was designed that way.
And, it just looks right doing it.
I have the classic Vespa scooter, late 1958, as my scoot-around, no dork-a-comm. :mrgreen:
But, whatever you ride, there is no question, the freedom of riding out in the open has no equal.
The brotherhood that a bike provides really has no match.
One can dress up cowboy or biker, or whatever, it is you and your bike.

WØTKX
05-11-2009, 06:27 PM
:whistle:

http://www.dieselmotorcycles.com/images/L_JP8_military.jpg

KG4CGC
05-11-2009, 06:36 PM
I bought it for $450. It had been sitting for years and it took me a couple of months and an additional $350 get it road worthy. This is my 3rd season with it. It's a great bike.
Nice find George.

kf0rt
05-11-2009, 06:45 PM
I envy you guys...

Used to hang with a friend who was WAY into bikes. Rode a few, but never really got into it. He'd put 30K+ a year on a pair of Harleys (from Phoenix, not Denver :lol: ) and just about killed himself twice. Lotta good times.

The only time I really got close to getting a bike was probably 15-20 years ago. Needed SOMETHING to get me away from the constant drone of work and family. Ended up getting into guns a bit, but the bikes were high on the list. I went with the guns because I figured they were safer. Seriously.

Stay alive, eh? I know just enough to know it'd probably change me forever.

WX7P
05-11-2009, 06:46 PM
I have a motorized bicycle. Does that count?

http://motorbicycling.com/attachments/f30/215d1202880297-motorized-bicycle-front-fender-dangers-bike007dk5.jpg

KG4CGC
05-11-2009, 06:57 PM

http://motorbicycling.com/attachments/f30/215d1202880297-motorized-bicycle-front-fender-dangers-bike007dk5.jpg
You know how bad I wanted something like that when I was kid? Then I'd hear stories of people using lawnmower engines and doing 60 on two skinny little tires!

kf0rt
05-11-2009, 07:20 PM

The chain arrangement on that is making me cross-eyed.

WX7P
05-11-2009, 07:25 PM

You know how bad I wanted something like that when I was kid? Then I'd hear stories of people using lawnmower engines and doing 60 on two skinny little tires!

I can crank it up to about 35, but that's it.

KG4CGC
05-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Do you need to plan ahead of time for braking?

W1GUH
05-11-2009, 10:51 PM
I once did 50 mph on a bicycle going down a long grade. I'd just put a speedometer on the bike and just had to try to peg it. That was the one and only time I'll ever go that fast on a bike. Scared the bejeezus out of me.

N2NH
05-11-2009, 10:58 PM
ON A BIKE: I was clocked by a guy in a 'vette at 88 down a very steep hill in Staten Island. He said I was catching up to him. A Camaro was chasing me, so I had real incentive to go that fast. The Camaro wiped out on a sharp left half way down. I managed after 3 tries to get the bike out of the gravel on the shoulder that was destabilizing it by jumping it at over 80. Not fun.

Now, if that was a motorcycle, I doubt if it would've went into drift in the first place.
;)

We don't see girls like this on bicycles though.

KB3LAZ
05-12-2009, 12:46 AM

On the other hand, my bosses son is selling this. I kind of like the retro look. Check out dem wide whites.
http://media8.dropshots.com/photos/88780/20090511/094439.jpg
http://media6.dropshots.com/photos/88780/20090511/094449.jpg

Oh ya, That I like! :D

W7XF
05-12-2009, 01:12 AM

Travis..
Could you handle THIS speed limit???

[attachment=0:22orqdiu]800px80mph_i20.jpg[/attachment:22orqdiu]

KG4CGC
05-12-2009, 01:27 AM
Here ya go.
Wrap your head around this.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/mv_agusta_monomoto.jpg

KB3LAZ
05-12-2009, 01:49 AM

Travis..
Could you handle THIS speed limit???

[attachment=0:1df8pjzn]800px80mph_i20.jpg[/attachment:1df8pjzn]

Could I, yes. Do I want to, not really. I have driven in a few places where the speed limit was 75ish and was none to impressed. I like old country roads. Hell I am not impressed by civilization in general. I would rather live in the woods like a hermit. :lol: With my radios and computer, of course. :o

w2amr
05-12-2009, 02:06 AM

I can crank it up to about 35, but that's it.
File that one under, I would rather walk. :lol:

KG4CGC
05-12-2009, 02:09 AM
File that one under, I would rather walk. :lol:
Miss Priss?

w2amr
05-12-2009, 02:14 AM
Nice find George.
Every once in a while, Kath and I go riding together. She takes the Honda and I ride the Harley. She used to have a Kawasaki KZ-400 , then an 883 Sportster. Years ago we would took a lot of day trip together , but over time she just lost interest.

w2amr
05-12-2009, 02:31 AM
This was my last iron head Sportster. It was a custom 1979 XLH . I traded it along with cash for my 72 Chevelle.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3332/3525011940_3dbc19dcb9.jpg?v=0

KG4CGC
05-12-2009, 02:51 AM
Have I seen that bike on the early Purple Power commercials with Billy Mayes? 8)

KB3LAZ
05-12-2009, 03:01 AM
Have I seen that bike on the early Purple Power commercials with Billy Mayes? 8)

At least it is not powder coat pink! :lol:

KG4CGC
05-12-2009, 03:03 AM
Oh please! Not the Mary Kay bike!
*puke*
Didn't the Tuttles make one of those?

KB3LAZ
05-12-2009, 03:05 AM
*puke*

IDR(I dont recall, Is that a proper abbreviation? Is now. :mrgreen: )

w2amr
05-12-2009, 03:05 AM
That was an interesting feature on that Sportster. Instead of chrome ,the rocker boxes, primary cover , and cam cover ,were power coated black.

KB3LAZ
05-12-2009, 03:07 AM
That was an interesting feature on that bike. Instead of chrome ,the rocker boxes, primary cover , and cam cover ,were power coated black.

What do you think of the "retro" style 1200 Nightster?

w2amr
05-12-2009, 03:08 AM
*puke*
I talked to a guy who saw one of their production bikes up close. He said the workmanship was crap.

w2amr
05-12-2009, 03:09 AM
That was an interesting feature on that bike. Instead of chrome ,the rocker boxes, primary cover , and cam cover ,were power coated black.

Link please

KB3LAZ
05-12-2009, 03:15 AM

Link please

They have a few variations. Retro is a quote from one of their articles but I have not been around bikes long enough to confirm that, you be the judge.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Cont ... cale=en_US (http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/2008_Motorcycles/2008_Motorcycles.jsp?locale=en_US)

w2amr
05-12-2009, 03:25 AM

Link please

They have a few variations. Retro is a quote from one of their articles but I have not been around bikes long enough to confirm that, you be the judge.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Cont ... cale=en_US (http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/2008_Motorcycles/2008_Motorcycles.jsp?locale=en_US)
I just found this photo, It's pretty slick looking. Looks like a tweeked 883 Sportster.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k302/fyrmnjim/Nightster.jpg

KB3LAZ
05-12-2009, 03:32 AM
I just found this photo, It's pretty slick looking. Looks like a tweeked 883 Sportster.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k302/fyrmnjim/Nightster.jpg

Thought about picking one up last summer, until I rode it. To small for me. I will keep saving for a Heritage Soft tail or a road king. Lots more to save, lol.

N8YX
05-12-2009, 05:13 AM
*puke*
I talked to a guy who saw one of their production bikes up close. He said the workmanship was crap.
I got to see one a couple years ago. Ditto those sentiments, and it wouldn't start that easily. Their "consumer" bikes use RevTech powertrains, which are known for being a POS...

WØTKX
05-12-2009, 08:59 AM
Vinnie started his own place, and Cody went with him... V Force Customs (http://www.vforcecustoms.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1)

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.luxist.com/media/2008/03/vforce.jpg

N8YX
05-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Vinnie started his own place, and Cody went with him... V Force Customs (http://www.vforcecustoms.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1)

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.luxist.com/media/2008/03/vforce.jpg
Be interesting to see how many of those "vogue" shops are in business at the end of this economic crunch.

kd6nig
05-12-2009, 09:20 AM
*puke*
I got to see one a couple years ago. Ditto those sentiments, and it wouldn't start that easily. Their "consumer" bikes use RevTech powertrains, which are known for being a POS...

Especially for the price. Course, when you watch the show, and watch them mess around, then suddenly work fast to finish it up right before the deadline, you can see why :)

I think most of the people who buy from them now buy for the name. Like a housewife that will only buy from Betty Crocker.

Me personally? I'd like to ride the trike they made out of a big rig motor on Monster Garage :)

KG4CGC
05-12-2009, 10:18 AM
http://www.gizmowatch.com/entry/triumph-rocket-iii-gets-the-roger-allmond-treatment/
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Custom%20Bikes/aero_bike.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/kakfiets-en-riksja.jpg

w2amr
05-12-2009, 11:38 AM
*puke*

Especially for the price. Course, when you watch the show, and watch them mess around, then suddenly work fast to finish it up right before the deadline, you can see why :)

I think most of the people who buy from them now buy for the name. Like a housewife that will only buy from Betty Crocker.

Me personally? I'd like to ride the trike they made out of a big rig motor on Monster Garage :)
I saw that episode, what a beast.

WØTKX
05-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Heh, Charles your two wheeler relationships are like mine, only one V-Twin... a Yamaha Vision.

http://www.neon-john.com/images/chainsaw_drag_bike.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c193/cul8term8/bike2-1.jpg

http://www.kk.org/streetuse/chainsawmotor.jpg

[youtube:woqid1v9]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxuUjlTzLy0[/youtube:woqid1v9]

KG4CGC
05-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Holy Farting Bicycles Batman!

w2amr
05-12-2009, 12:55 PM
I took this thing out for a short ride the other day. It's the first time I had ever ridden a Harley with fuel injection. It's really nice not having to deal with a choke when the engine is cold. I also noticed, Even though the engine is over 100 CC's bigger, My 97 softail seems to be much quicker.
http://media6.dropshots.com/photos/88780/20090511/094449.jpg[/quote]

N8YX
05-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Btw, If anyone is interested. It's an 06 FLSTN Softail Deluxe. With about 5K on the clock.
$13.900. PM me and I'll give you the guys E-mail address. That is all.
I think that bike would make a good present for your wife...maybe reignite her interest in riding.

w2amr
05-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Btw, If anyone is interested. It's an 06 FLSTN Softail Deluxe. With about 5K on the clock.
I think that bike would make a good present for your wife...maybe reignite her interest in riding.
I agree, Send me 13k. I think I can round up the 900

N8YX
05-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Go sell a car. Do something special for your wife; she deserves it ... :dance

w2amr
05-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Go sell a car. Do something special for your wife; she deserves it ... :dance
I did, I married her.

W7XF
05-13-2009, 01:40 AM
As far as Orange County Choppers goes... this is the ONLY thing I want from them:

[attachment=0:30heax3e]225px-Mikey_Teutul.jpg[/attachment:30heax3e]

Yeah... I'd hit this in a NY nanosecond!

w2amr
05-13-2009, 02:32 AM
As far as Orange County Choppers goes... this is the ONLY thing I want from them:

[attachment=0:34xxieyz]225px-Mikey_Teutul.jpg[/attachment:34xxieyz]

Into chubbies huh?

KB3LAZ
05-13-2009, 02:47 AM

[attachment=0:r0h3img9]225px-Mikey_Teutul.jpg[/attachment:r0h3img9]

You can have that but I want this.....

http://l.yimg.com/eb/ymv/us/img/hv/photo/movie_pix/hollywood_pictures/stay_alive/sophia_bush/stayalive1.jpg

Not the pic I wanted. I wanted the one where she was laying on the counter in an autumn festive type dress. She looks a little strung out in this pic. :mrgreen:

KB3LAZ
05-13-2009, 02:55 AM

[attachment=0:1r49mtyj]225px-Mikey_Teutul.jpg[/attachment:1r49mtyj]

You can have that but I want this.....

http://l.yimg.com/eb/ymv/us/img/hv/photo/movie_pix/hollywood_pictures/stay_alive/sophia_bush/stayalive1.jpg

Not the pic I wanted. I wanted the one where she was laying on the counter in an autumn festive type dress. She looks a little strung out in this pic. :mrgreen:

Hell ya!!

http://sophia-central.com/gallery/albums/movies/hitcher/still2.jpg

N8YX
05-13-2009, 04:27 AM
She looks a little strung out in this pic.
You want "strung out", do you?

KB3LAZ
05-13-2009, 04:36 AM
She looks a little strung out in this pic.
You want "strung out", do you?

Eewww...not with yours. :sick: :lol:

kd6nig
05-13-2009, 09:35 AM

[attachment=0:399umhxx]225px-Mikey_Teutul.jpg[/attachment:399umhxx]

Honestly I think sometimes hes the only one that has kept Paul Sr and Paul Jr from seriously going at it....and someone getting hurt bad.

They both have the same personality and I think what you see on the show is NOTHING compared to when the cameras aren't on.

Sr's other son (who helped design and build the new place I guess) was smart to not stay in the same business as Dad.

KG4CGC
05-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Sr's other son (who helped design and build the new place I guess) was smart to not stay in the same business as Dad.

Or maybe he knew there would be drama to the Nth degree and he wanted to stay away from it.

w2amr
05-13-2009, 04:14 PM

[attachment=0:20p68olc]225px-Mikey_Teutul.jpg[/attachment:20p68olc]

Honestly I think sometimes hes the only one that has kept Paul Sr and Paul Jr from seriously going at it....and someone getting hurt bad.

They both have the same personality and I think what you see on the show is NOTHING compared to when the cameras aren't on.

I think most of it on camera is staged.

KG4CGC
05-13-2009, 07:09 PM
I thought it was pretty stupid when Jr. was trying to make an acetylene bomb and was also trying to set it off indoors. Then Sr. had to show him how it was done and filled some pipestock with the gas and destroyed a pair of boom mics with the noise.

WØTKX
05-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Mikey is hilarious.

I identify the most with Jason Pohl the graphics designer, who is owned by Dave the Dog.

kd6nig
05-13-2009, 07:54 PM

[attachment=0:2fvgeo2g]225px-Mikey_Teutul.jpg[/attachment:2fvgeo2g]

Perhaps, but both Jr and Sr seem to have the same personality. I'm sure it produces clashes in real life.

I haven't seen the show in a while though. I stopped watching right after they got into the new place. The shows started getting repetitive.

KG4CGC
05-13-2009, 08:25 PM
I stopped watching right after they got into the new place. The shows started getting repetitive.
That's putting it mildly to say the least.
I got to where I would say to myself, "move it along, let's see what need s to be done to the bike next."
Instead I got, "We were pretty wound up so Mikey and I went out for a ride. Later we decided to run Mikey's Toyota into a dumpster."

w2amr
05-14-2009, 02:13 AM

[attachment=0:2jsqbf6v]225px-Mikey_Teutul.jpg[/attachment:2jsqbf6v]

Perhaps, but both Jr and Sr seem to have the same personality. I'm sure it produces clashes in real life.

I haven't seen the show in a while though. I stopped watching right after they got into the new place. The shows started getting repetitive.
I stopped watching for the same reason. Jesse James pulled the plug on monster garage when they ran out of things to build.

kd6nig
05-14-2009, 09:53 AM
I stopped watching for the same reason. Jesse James pulled the plug on monster garage when they ran out of things to build.

Yep, it seems like there are a quite a few people who don't know how to do that. TV shows and aging quarterbacks, mostly :)

The one thing about Monster Garage also was the occasional epic fail. Every time you watched American Chopper they would try to make it sound like some conflict or whatever was going to prevent the build from being completed, but it was always done.

Or they would finally run the thing and something would happen. Like the rear end of the jet car catching on fire, stuff like that.

w2amr
05-14-2009, 11:43 AM

Yep, it seems like there are a quite a few people who don't know how to do that. TV shows and aging quarterbacks, mostly :)

The one thing about Monster Garage also was the occasional epic fail. Every time you watched American Chopper they would try to make it sound like some conflict or whatever was going to prevent the build from being completed, but it was always done.

Or they would finally run the thing and something would happen. Like the rear end of the jet car catching on fire, stuff like that.
Die Mazda, die!
[youtube:1mz3i1ot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xVfdDNnPgU[/youtube:1mz3i1ot]

WØTKX
05-14-2009, 11:49 AM
I'm still shopping... the other bikes had issues.

A weird but nice VN750 Vulcan is the best one so far, and she's dropped her price to $1500.

This is like finding a fun radio. Gotta be patient. (right hand twitching).

kd6nig
05-14-2009, 12:01 PM
I haven't even looked at prices lately.

But I know every time I drive by on the freeway in front of the local dealer (Eagles Nest HD) they don't have many in the parking lot.

w2amr
05-14-2009, 12:43 PM
When I bought my Harley it had an aftermarket seat on it. The guy also threw in the stock seat. I noticed that the passenger pad could be removed from the stock seat, So I took off the pad and used just the main saddle. Now almost all of the rear fender is exposed, giving it a real retro look that I like. What do you guys think, cool beans or what?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3657/3531653590_9769ea882c.jpg?v=0

WØTKX
05-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Yea, the seat pads are silly. Now you have a shiny purple butt!

N8YX
05-14-2009, 01:36 PM
On a bike board which I frequent, one member posted today that Harley is considering closing its York, PA plant. That's where the Softails and touring bikes are built ... :-|

KG4CGC
05-14-2009, 02:29 PM
On a bike board which I frequent, one member posted today that Harley is considering closing its York, PA plant. That's where the Softails and touring bikes are built ... :-|
Is this where the Union bashing begins?

w2amr
05-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Yea, the seat pads are silly. Now you have a shiny purple butt!
Ahhh, ok

w2amr
05-14-2009, 02:43 PM
Things are tough all over.

N8YX
05-14-2009, 02:55 PM
But people ALWAYS seem to come up with the money for a bike, even when they let a lot of other things slip. Like food for their kids...a new car...a house payment. I've seen it time and again: Guy living in a run-down trailer which doesn't have the proverbial pot to pi$$ in has a nice, shiny new Road King parked next to it.

Heck, I ought to be making a bit of commission on all the sales I sent the way of our local dealership in the last 6 months. Three brand new Ultras and a Road King Classic.

Perhaps they're going to have to cut prices a bit to remain competitive? :think

kd6nig
05-14-2009, 03:40 PM
But people ALWAYS seem to come up with the money for a bike, even when they let a lot of other things slip. Like food for their kids...a new car...a house payment. I've seen it time and again: Guy living in a run-down trailer which doesn't have the proverbial pot to pi$$ in has a nice, shiny new Road King parked next to it.

Heck, I ought to be making a bit of commission on all the sales I sent the way of our local dealership in the last 6 months. Three brand new Ultras and a Road King Classic.

Perhaps they're going to have to cut prices a bit to remain competitive? :think

Probably the only reason they are having issues is because they can't get credit when they let the other things slip :)

w2amr
05-16-2009, 05:50 PM
Interesting read
BSA Rocket 3/Triumph Trident
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSA_Rocket_3/Triumph_Trident

KG4CGC
05-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Have you seen the new Triumphs on the showroom floor? Hot stuff indeed.
http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/2009%20Triumph%20Rocket%20III_9910.aspx
That's not a typo, three cylinder, 2300cc :shock:

WØTKX
05-16-2009, 10:29 PM
Triumphs are cool. I like the Triumph that Mikey got on American Chopper.

I have been shopping, and have checked out a bunch of bikes. I'm going to try to save another 1000-1500 after what I have looked at.

Rode a 2008 KLX-650 today. A bit too much money right now, but they guy will hold it if his commitments for showings tomorrow don't buy, as he's going out of town for two weeks.

That thing is sweet and comfortable for a thumper. I've ridden earlier ones, and liked them, but the comfort level was not quite there. But the newer ones are a big change! I can tour, commute, AND be an idiot in the dirt? I think I'm in LUST!

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photogallerys/2008_Kawasaki_KLR650_108.jpg

w2amr
05-17-2009, 02:25 AM
Nice bikes. Is that the same company , or a new company using the Triumph name?

KG4CGC
05-17-2009, 02:32 AM
Good question. Only thing I know for sure is that the BSA name plate is gone.

w2amr
05-17-2009, 02:38 AM
Why would they have BSA name plates on Triumph motorcycles?

KG4CGC
05-17-2009, 02:39 AM
Wiki says: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Motorcycles_Ltd

KG4CGC
05-17-2009, 02:41 AM
Why would they have BSA name plates on Triumph motorcycles?
Negative, I was referring to them coming out of the same factory.

w2amr
05-17-2009, 02:42 AM
Gotcha

w2amr
05-17-2009, 02:43 AM
What are you doing up so early? Or are you on the tail end of an allnighter?

KG4CGC
05-17-2009, 02:49 AM
I think you're up earlier than usual actually. I am generally always up this late although I hate working on antennas in the dark. I need to trace down a problem with my antenna. Right now I'm thinking it's the feedline leading to the bulk of the assembly. That would be a simple fix. If not that, well then, looks like I'll be restringing the whole thing.

w2amr
05-17-2009, 03:17 AM
I think you're up earlier than usual actually. I am generally always up this late although I hate working on antennas in the dark. I need to trace down a problem with my antenna. Right now I'm thinking it's the feedline leading to the bulk of the assembly. That would be a simple fix. If not that, well then, looks like I'll be restringing the whole thing.
A man has to have a hobby I guess. :lol:

N8YX
05-17-2009, 05:52 AM
I have seen and have ridden. Both of us have. Driver perspective, mind you. 'DSG loves the R-III's powerband and can handle the bike with ease. This is funny because there are a lot of largish men we've witnessed who are scared of the Rocket.

Triumph now makes a very competent sport bike - the 1050 Sprint - and a number of other well-executed models including a dual-sport that I would really love to lay my mitts on.

The fellow who designed the Rocket III also had a had in the design of the Honda Valkyrie. The only negative with the machine thus far is that they changed the cam drive arrangement on post-2005 models. The new sprocket wobbles its way loose from its mount on the crankshaft and the resultant valve train failure usually results in the destruction of the entire top end.

Triumph has been very good with warranty replacement. This is an entirely new company using the old marque. I've spoken to a few of the corporate folks at a number of different rallies and the outfit definitely has it together when the matters of customer service and owner feedback arise.

Of course, our friends at the Turbo Connection haven't left us out:

http://www.boostisgood.com/RocketIII/dsc00475.jpg

Neat little "sleeper" system there ... 220 RWHP; 190 RWTQ. Back tires last ~2,000 miles with T/C's system installed.

When the turbo system and pipe (or Triumph's optional performance exhaust) is installed and the engine run at high revs, the Rocket III has an exhaust note that is reminiscent of a Ferrari.

M0GLO
05-17-2009, 08:18 AM
I've been thinking of picking up a vintage BSA, I am after all in the land of BSA so it should be no problem to locate myself a 1965 BSA Rocket 650 or maybe something like this:
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C81110/

N8YX
05-17-2009, 08:23 AM
I've been thinking of picking up a vintage BSA, I am after all in the land of BSA so it should be no problem to locate myself a 1965 BSA Rocket 650...
About 20 years back, an acquaintance of mine laid his hands on a complete '69 650 Lightning...two more complete basket cases...and a bunch of Harley Sportster parts. All for the paltry sum of $400. He could have sold the Sporty stuff and gotten his money back. After he became frustrated with an electrical problem, the Lightning and accompanying trailers full of parts were left to languish in the idiot's back yard. I have no idea what happened to any of it.

w2amr
05-17-2009, 10:15 AM
I had a 64 BSA lightning. Yeah, it leaked oil
http://image24.webshots.com/24/3/38/46/100833846XEMItJ_ph.jpg

M0GLO
05-17-2009, 10:39 AM
From the size and ubiquity of the driveway oil spots in my neighborhood growing up I get the feeling that everything from back then leaked oil. :lol:

w2amr
05-17-2009, 12:33 PM
Wonder if these things are any good?
http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/Victory/Pages/Home.aspx?WT.campaign=1390&WT.medium=cpc&WT.term=victory+dealers&WT.mc_id=537D36F3-6A5E-DD11-B425-0017A4A77F44&source=gad&WT.mc_ev=click&WT.content=605155693&WT.source=google&cshift_ck=1305751299cs605155693&WT.srch=1

N8YX
05-17-2009, 12:42 PM
http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/Victory/Pages/Home.aspx?WT.campaign=1390&WT.medium=cpc&WT.term=victory+dealers&WT.mc_id=537D36F3-6A5E-DD11-B425-0017A4A77F44&source=gad&WT.mc_ev=click&WT.content=605155693&WT.source=google&cshift_ck=1305751299cs605155693&WT.srch=1
Victory?

They've come a long way in the 10 or so years they've been out. If I didn't have a VTX I would look really hard at their Jackhammer. The aftermarket has a lot for them as well.

w2amr
05-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Victory?

They've come a long way in the 10 or so years they've been out. If I didn't have a VTX I would look really hard at their Jackhammer. The aftermarket has a lot for them as well.
They do make nice snowmobiles.

w2amr
05-17-2009, 01:22 PM
From the size and ubiquity of the driveway oil spots in my neighborhood growing up I get the feeling that everything from back then leaked oil. :lol:
Wonder if they actually used gaskets in those things. :lol:

W7XF
05-17-2009, 09:52 PM

No. They used the gasket-less method to ensure that you changed the oil on a regular basis. :lol:

w2amr
05-18-2009, 02:07 AM

No. They used the gasket-less method to ensure that you changed the oil on a regular basis. :lol:
The automatic oil change feature was certainly ahead of it's time.

KG4CGC
05-18-2009, 02:21 AM
Speaking of oil, what do you guys use?
I used Honda's brand but I found out it was really a mid grade.

w2amr
05-18-2009, 02:42 AM
As long as it meets the bike manufacturers specs , I don't think it matters too much.

KG4CGC
05-18-2009, 02:47 AM
I need something light and slick. SJ/SG cert.
Calls for 10w30 but over the Winter I used 5w20.

w2amr
05-18-2009, 03:08 AM
I need something light and slick. SJ/SG cert.
Calls for 10w30 but over the Winter I used 5w20.
In the winter my bikes stay in the garage. :lol:

N8YX
05-18-2009, 05:28 AM
Golden Spectro (full or semi-synthetic) or Mobil 1 Red Cap (non-energy-conserving).

Makes your shifts smooth as butter.

George can get away with running any old 50wt in his Evo as long as he keeps a fresh filter on the bike...

w2amr
05-18-2009, 05:51 AM
Golden Spectro (full or semi-synthetic) or Mobil 1 Red Cap (non-energy-conserving).

Makes your shifts smooth as butter.

George can get away with running any old 50wt in his Evo as long as he keeps a fresh filter on the bike...
I do like to start the bike from time to time in the winter, so I use 20-50 in it.

KG4CGC
05-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Don't you have to use 3 different types of oil in your HD?
One guy I worked with had an HD that he switched over to full synthetic and uses the same oil in all 3 areas.
Keep in mind I'm not sure how to phrase this.

N8YX
05-18-2009, 08:57 PM
One guy I worked with had an HD that he switched over to full synthetic and uses the same oil in all 3 areas.
Engine oil, primary lube and tranny lube.

I would run a heavier lube in the transmission (80 or 90wt) than I would in the engine (straight 50wt or 20w-50)...

w2amr
05-19-2009, 02:46 AM
Engine oil, primary lube and tranny lube.

I would run a heavier lube in the transmission (80 or 90wt) than I would in the engine (straight 50wt or 20w-50)...
I just stick with the specs Harley calls for.

KG4CGC
05-22-2009, 01:34 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/mv_agusta_monomoto.jpg

BUMPED WITH MONOMOTO!

WØTKX
05-22-2009, 01:44 AM
Mine drools... :P

http://rvforsaleguide.com/images/sturgis-rat-bike-picture.jpg

KG4CGC
05-22-2009, 01:46 AM
RAT!

WØTKX
05-22-2009, 01:55 AM
Like, wow... http://www.the-uno-tomorrows-transportation.com/

http://gwrra-gaa.com/images/mojo1.jpg

KG4CGC
05-22-2009, 02:41 AM
You know, that's actually a slightly better idea.

N8YX
05-28-2009, 09:00 PM
Bump.

Just ordered some Stewart Warner gauges for my latest project...ETA is about 3 weeks. They discontinued one of the "HDX" series gauges (a rear-shock air pressure gauge; the unit I really needed) so it's off to EvilBay and see if one pops up there.

If I get time this weekend I'm going to run the suspension piping and mount the main compressor components. Bought a Clarion CD changer which fits into the bike's right saddlebag and I've got to fabricate a mount for its control head.

The S-W gauges (oil press/coolant temp, and voltage/shock air pressure) are going to be mounted in the bike's two radiator cover pods, so I've got to fab some wiring harnesses for them. Also got to built the control for filling and valving air out of the suspension.

WØTKX
05-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Checked out a few more bikes today. I really liked the Suzuki Intruder.

It was nice, for a Harley wanna be. Cosmetically flawed, but mechanically sound. I dunno, I need to save a little more. Another $1000 seems to tip me into creampuff territory. $4000. Cash.

I'm also rather rather smitten with "Connie"... Sensible, sturdy, alluringly curvy...

http://swadams.com/1999concours.jpg

N8YX
05-28-2009, 09:21 PM
The ZG1000 has a lengthy following, and you should be able to get parts for years to come.

I've ridden its replacement - the 1400GTR - at high speed and find that with a bit of front suspension rework it'll make an awesome touring mount.

What year and model Intruder, Dave? I might be able to save you a headache or two where they're concerned...

WØTKX
05-28-2009, 10:27 PM
This one was a 93. Fuel additive spill all over the tank, and messed up (multiple small puntures) seat. $2000, I offered him $1800, but I won't buy it without a mechanics OK. He's thinking about it. It's been sitting for years, it has about 5000 miles on it.

Want something I can jump on and ride. Don't mind projects, but I have enough of them. I'm looking for escape on the open road.

N8YX
05-29-2009, 04:51 AM
This one was a 93. Fuel additive spill all over the tank, and messed up (multiple small puntures) seat. $2000, I offered him $1800, but I won't buy it without a mechanics OK. He's thinking about it. It's been sitting for years, it has about 5000 miles on it.

Want something I can jump on and ride. Don't mind projects, but I have enough of them. I'm looking for escape on the open road.
You're probably looking at a rusty tank (repair or replace) and a carburetor rebuild at a minimum. Possibly new tires (if weather-cracked), brake lines (ditto) and a brake-system rebuild if the fluid has absorbed water and subsequently corroded the system.

This in addition to the reason why the bike "...was left sitting...". Was this due to an unaddressed mechanical condition, or...?

And I take it you're talking about a 1400 Intruder, correct?

WØTKX
05-29-2009, 06:26 AM
No big boy, it's an 800. :lol:

N8YX
05-29-2009, 07:14 AM
No big boy, it's an 800. :lol:
As long as it's not a 1500LC. There's a casting flaw involving the oil drain plug area of the crankcase; they can crack. Suzuki is and has been aware of the problem since the late 90s yet very few corrective repairs have been performed, if what I'm seeing and hearing from people is any indication.

A friend of mine @ work just had his 1500LC's crankcase crack in that area. He doesn't want to disassemble the motor and install a new crankcase half, so he JB-Welded it all together, drain plug and all. Which isn't what I would have done...

WØTKX
05-29-2009, 07:34 AM
I had the facing on the block of a VW Jetta break. I hired somebody to fix the water pump, and they busted off a piece. So it leaked. Of course they said it was a preexisting condition that they did not "notice". Hacks.

JB Weld to the rescue. It never broke. Sold the car with 280k on it, still working. Stuff is amazing. My grandpa used to make his own with metal filings in epoxy, but it's not the same.

Anyway... I am antsy to buy a bike, but I am taking it slow. The right deal will come along.

And a friend has a really cherry (3k miles) Kawasaki 1986 LTD 454 belt drive booger with that "half a Ninja" motor in it... It's really "cherry", and quite fast for it's small displacement... you just gotta rev the whee out of it. I'm used to that. It's got a lot of nice mods to it, so it's almost a baby bagger. 50+ mpg is a breeze. Looks like this, but with bags, windscreen, custom seat, forward controls and crash bars, so it's more tricked out than this...

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o316/irishrenegade/3.jpg?t=1243600527

It's not going anywhere, so I keep that in mind as I am looking. Might go for a KLR650 as well. Thumpers and Twins are just fine, long as they are built right. Easier to fix.

I will be riding 70% commute, 15% day trips, 15% long trips. 5'10" with short legs, but I have owned dirt bikes, so the long reach is no big deal... Think Cotton on Hank Hill. :lol: About 200-210 when fat, I'm holding at about 195 right now.

Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki... they have all certain models that are excellent.

N8YX
05-29-2009, 07:40 AM
That 454 would be a good bike for you, as would a Vulcan 800, the Intruder...an SV650...I can think of a ton of them.

JB Weld has its uses. We do not, I repeat DO NOT use the stuff to permanently affix an oil or tranny drain plug! :shock:

WØTKX
05-29-2009, 07:43 AM
That 454 would be a good bike for you, as would a Vulcan 800, the Intruder...an SV650...I can think of a ton of them.

JB Weld has its uses. We do not, I repeat DO NOT use the stuff to permanently affix an oil or tranny drain plug! :shock:

My buddy that has the LTD is a very happy SV650 owner.
I have enough for a serious down payment. So I could.
That bike is just amazing. Best UJM ever made, probably.

WØTKX
05-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Have a date with "Connie" tomorrow morning, I got first shot . Just under 50k, asking $1800. Minor cosmetic flaws due to a low speed collision with a pedestrian. Claimed that it did not tip over. :shock: We shall see.

Long distance runaround
Long time waiting to feel the sound
I still remember the dream there
Sorry, I need to ride, goodbye
Did we really tell lies
Letting in the sunshine
Did we really ride at one hundred....

Apologies to yes :mrgreen:

These bikes are known to be top heavy with a 31" seat height. I like 28 or 29 for flat foot. So it will be like a lower than my old CR600 with a full tank of gas, but heavier. Should be OK. Maybe I'll just never stop! :lol:

I need to calm down. I have not owned a bike for four long years. ;)

N8YX
05-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Have a date with "Connie" tomorrow morning, I got first shot . Just under 50k, asking $1800. Minor cosmetic flaws due to a low speed collision with a pedestrian. :shock:
If you pull the trigger...immediately head to http://www.concours.org and sign up. Lots of good info there, and the members support one another.

WØTKX
05-29-2009, 09:59 AM
Yes, I have been reading all morning. It's like finding an interesting radio that lots of people like, and they know how to fix them. This is interesting. Didn't even have that bike on my radar, but I guess I should have.

N8YX
05-29-2009, 11:38 AM
This is from an ongoing "discussion" we're having on one of the boards I frequent... :whistle:

http://vrcc.photostash.com/vrcc_23642/HDlegup.jpg

w2amr
05-29-2009, 12:09 PM
Off to crotch rocket heaven.
http://www.all4humor.com/images/files/majorcrash.jpg

N8YX
05-29-2009, 12:10 PM
At least it was capable of attaining sufficient velocity to do that ... :whistle: :dance

WØTKX
05-29-2009, 01:04 PM
The Concours is not a "rocket". It's just a swift bagger.

Now this is a rocket. Ballet dancer, with gobs of power. I had an 85.

http://www.thunderbikeuk.com/images/uploads/bike%20shot%20low.jpg

w2amr
05-29-2009, 01:40 PM
At least it was capable of attaining sufficient velocity to do that ... :whistle: :dance
Too bad about the glitch in the guidance system .

N8YX
05-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Too bad about the glitch in the guidance system .
Squids will do that.

N8YX
05-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Now this is a rocket. Ballet dancer, with gobs of power. I had an 85.

Nope...not compared to today's road missiles:

http://www.motorcyclingblog.com/media/images/vijesti/070624001.jpg

WØTKX
05-29-2009, 01:53 PM
I know. That's fun, but it's not relaxing.

N8YX
05-29-2009, 01:56 PM
Is to me. There's something both exhilarating and refreshing about a bike which will hit 110 in first gear ... :D

WØTKX
05-29-2009, 02:11 PM
It's the corners, baby... :dance

N8YX
05-29-2009, 02:15 PM
It's the corners, baby... :dance
With a heavy throttle hand, my Valkyrie I/S will light the tire up in a corner exit...even though it weighs ~900lbs gassed. So what's the big deal about spinning the rear hoop on a sportbike? :mrgreen:

w2amr
05-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Is to me. There's something both exhilarating and refreshing about a bike which will hit 110 in first gear ... :D
In your dreams rice boy. :P

WØTKX
05-29-2009, 02:21 PM
All our hearts go pitty pat, oh yeah.

Tell you what tho, that FZ was nasty if you did that too soon in the corner. I was really asking for it once in a while. :P

Clipped a deer once, and stayed upright, that was the closet I ever got to laying it down.

w2amr
05-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Even more exhilarating driving into the back of a semi @110 mph . Not too refreshing though.
http://www.stephygee.com/semi4.jpg

WØTKX
05-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Wassa matter with you boy? That's Rumpus Room material.

I went to Sturgis once, on a Suzuki GS-1100ES. Took a lot of good natured crap. I found a guy who was making buttons, and got one that said "Kiss me, I'm a Ricer". With a Suzuki emblem on it.

It worked! I called it my "lucky" button. :mrgreen:

w2amr
05-29-2009, 02:35 PM
Hey Fred, here's a shot of that bike I was telling you about.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3409/3576075069_4bf46f03e1.jpg?v=0

N8YX
05-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Yours can't do it in 5th. You're back quiet ... :lol:

ETA - that ain't rice. That's a Harley, in case you've not been paying attention. ;)

N8YX
05-29-2009, 02:42 PM
That's a Honda Magna.

V45 - 90 degree V-Four; 750cc. Water cooled; around 70 RWHP.

Nice commuter ride.

I'm thinking that one's an early 90's model.

Here's a 2003 in a bit better shape:

http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2006%5C04%5C30%5Cbikepics-575984-320.jpg

w2amr
05-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Yours can't do it in 5th. You're back quiet ... :lol:

I wouldn't try. Unlike most crotch rocket pilots around this area, I can have fun riding without acting like a total tool. Guess that's why After 46 years of riding I'm still in one piece.

w2amr
05-29-2009, 03:13 PM
That's a Honda Magna.

V45 - 90 degree V-Four; 750cc. Water cooled; around 70 RWHP.

Nice commuter ride.

I'm thinking that one's an early 90's model.

Here's a 2003 in a bit better shape:

http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2006%5C04%5C30%5Cbikepics-575984-320.jpg
It's been sitting in the same spot for years. Every once in a while it falls over, and the guy comes out and stands it up again.

N8YX
05-29-2009, 03:14 PM
I wouldn't try. Unlike most crotch rocket pilots around this area, I can have fun riding without acting like a total tool. Guess that's why After 46 years of riding I'm still in one piece.
So can I.

It's called a racetrack.

Which, by the way, is NOT the freeway during rush hour ... :arrow:

WØTKX
05-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Magna is a seriously grunty thing... This is a Hond V4 on my hit list...

http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~rblander/sabre.gif

N8YX
05-29-2009, 03:19 PM
It's been sitting in the same spot for years. Every once in a while it falls over, and the guy comes out and stands it up again.
I know of several bikes in similar situations. One - a Suzuki 750GT - was parked behind a fence at our local school-bus garage; I'll bet the thing had sat for at least 15 years. It's finally gone. Hopefully to someone who plans on restoring it.

Elsewhere in this thread, I related the tale of a '69 BSA Lightning which suffered the same fate. There are others, and the ones I'm thinking of are fairly rare and sought after. So why leave them outdoors to rot?

N8YX
05-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Magna is a seriously grunty thing... This is a Honda V4 on my hit list...
Make sure you do something about their improperly hardened camshafts (84-up) and inadequate top-end oiling...

w2amr
05-29-2009, 03:22 PM
So can I.

It's called a racetrack.

Which, by the way, is NOT the freeway during rush hour ... :arrow:
So tell me more about this magical motorcycle that does 110 MPH in first gear. What does it top out at in high gear, about 450?

N8YX
05-29-2009, 03:26 PM
So tell me more about this magical motorcycle that does 110 MPH in first gear. What does it top out at in high gear, about 450?
200 MPH - or 312 KPH.

Hence its model designation - MV Agusta 312.

Incidentally, MV Agusta was acquired by Harley-Davidson last year.

N8YX
05-29-2009, 03:28 PM
By the way - here's a (limited) production bike which will hit an honest 260 MPH:

http://img.gizmodo.jp/img/superbike_02.jpg

w2amr
05-29-2009, 03:30 PM
By the way - here's a (limited) production bike which will hit an honest 260 MPH:

http://img.gizmodo.jp/img/superbike_02.jpg
Fast and ugly huh?
:lol: WTF is the deal with that exhaust, Is that from a Mack?

WØTKX
05-29-2009, 03:56 PM
No, it's from the neighbor kid's hopped up Prelude... :shock:

N8YX
05-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Fast and ugly huh?
Give it a listen and you tell me:

[youtube:3t7ykdhd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efID00W3F7I[/youtube:3t7ykdhd]

w2amr
05-29-2009, 04:20 PM
No, it's from the neighbor kid's hopped up Prelude... :shock:
Yeah, clown cars are a hoot. We have one running around here . Ground effect falling off , sub wolfer blasting , blacked out windows, and what looks to be an aluminum picnic table bolted to the trunk lid.
:lol:

WØTKX
05-29-2009, 04:20 PM
I was wondering if it had enough intake to match that out take. Yeppers.

N8YX
05-29-2009, 04:29 PM
I was wondering if it had enough intake to match that out take. Yeppers.
There's a new version out - 425 RWHP; 600 RWTQ.

As soon as I get a better feel for the job situation I'll probably end up snagging one.

w2amr
05-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Fast and ugly huh?
Give it a listen and you tell me:

[youtube:f0ie80nm]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efID00W3F7I[/youtube:f0ie80nm]
It's very apparent you and I have conflicting ideas of what a motorcycle should be. :roll:

WØTKX
05-29-2009, 05:30 PM
Absurdist philosophy rules... :lol:

[youtube:350st8ha]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb9lfujGlNM[/youtube:350st8ha]

N8YX
05-29-2009, 05:36 PM
It's very apparent you and I have conflicting ideas of what a motorcycle should be. :roll:
Power, handling and braking are paramount.

Of course...when you're riding the motorcycling equivalent of a Veyron...the darned thing doesn't have to be chromed-out or pretty to attract attention. ;)

WØTKX
05-29-2009, 06:11 PM
If I had a million dollars... Zero Engineering (http://www.zero-eng.com/) They were on Biker Build Off...

This is just tooo cool.

http://zero-eng.com/Graphics-New01/gallery/g30L.jpg

w2amr
05-30-2009, 02:09 AM
If I had a million dollars... Zero Engineering (http://www.zero-eng.com/) They were on Biker Build Off...

This is just tooo cool.

http://zero-eng.com/Graphics-New01/gallery/g30L.jpg
Now ye talking, That is really slick. :drool

w2amr
05-30-2009, 02:22 AM
I know of several bikes in similar situations. One - a Suzuki 750GT - was parked behind a fence at our local school-bus garage; I'll bet the thing had sat for at least 15 years. It's finally gone. Hopefully to someone who plans on restoring it.

Elsewhere in this thread, I related the tale of a '69 BSA Lightning which suffered the same fate. There are others, and the ones I'm thinking of are fairly rare and sought after. So why leave them outdoors to rot?
This is the same guy who has the boat car in his yard rotting away.

N8YX
05-30-2009, 07:29 AM
In other words...he's a pack rat.

I know of several such places within a couple hours of travel from here...if you could see what's been left to die in these folks' front and side yards, you would be sick. Not just one or two cars...one such place has a dozen or more. Bikes, too...nothing will ever be done with any of them but the owners refuse to sell. So they waste away in the elements. :wall

WØTKX
05-30-2009, 10:26 AM
The "Connie" was a bit too ratted out, and the guy seemed weird about my thorough inspection. Props to the Concours website for things to look for. I pointed them out gently and offered him $200 less. He freaked. So I politely excused myself. Not in a hurry. Something smelled.

HEY! I'm a bit of a pack rat. Messy too. Oh well.

kf0rt
05-30-2009, 01:47 PM
In other words...he's a pack rat.

I know of several such places within a couple hours of travel from here...if you could see what's been left to die in these folks' front and side yards, you would be sick. Not just one or two cars...one such place has a dozen or more. Bikes, too...nothing will ever be done with any of them but the owners refuse to sell. So they waste away in the elements. :wall

Kinda brings new meaning to the term "rust belt." :(

N8YX
05-31-2009, 12:24 PM
Anyone do any riding yesterday?

We got in around 350 miles total...SR224E out of Akron to SR11S...to SR30/39E...into PA for a bit then back west on 30/39 and down SR7S to Yorkville, OH and a stop at 'Mr. Bill's Famous Ribs' (which have to be eaten to be believed...). Next was a short jaunt down SR7S to Bridgeport then through the Wheeling, WV tunnel onto I70E. A stop at the Triadelphia exit landed us at the Wheeling Cabela's for a few hours...then back west on I70W to I77N, a jaunt across SR250W to SR21N then 224E brought us home after ~10 hours on the road.

Was a darned nice day to be out and about...

w2amr
05-31-2009, 02:11 PM
Anyone do any riding yesterday?

We got in around 350 miles total...SR224E out of Akron to SR11S...to SR30/39E...into PA for a bit then back west on 30/39 and down SR7S to Yorkville, OH and a stop at 'Mr. Bill's Famous Ribs' (which have to be eaten to be believed...). Next was a short jaunt down SR7S to Bridgeport then through the Wheeling, WV tunnel onto I70E. A stop at the Triadelphia exit landed us at the Wheeling Cabela's for a few hours...then back west on I70W to I77N, a jaunt across SR250W to SR21N then 224E brought us home after ~10 hours on the road.

Was a darned nice day to be out and about...
I got in a couple of hours this weekend. Too busy with chores and antenna building.

N8YX
05-31-2009, 08:55 PM
Steve, AC6EA wussed out on our ride yesterday - earlier in the week he purchased a Suzuki Burgman 400 scooter for his wife, and on Saturday was in the process of hunting down a 650 for himself.

He showed up in our driveway tonight with one of these:

http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/2006_suzuki_burgman_650_executive.jpg

'DSG took it out for a ride. It'll pull harder off the line than any cruiser she's ridden to date, and even some sportbikes would have a problem with it.

60MPG isn't too bad for the commute to work, either.

I have a garage full of two-wheelers, else I would really consider one.

WØTKX
05-31-2009, 09:39 PM
I've ridden one. They are really cool, but nobody seems to think so. :lol:

Feet Forward bikes are interesting. Ever seen Dan Gurney's design?

http://www.allamericanracers.com/alligator/alligator_home.html

http://www.allamericanracers.com/alligator/images/gator_ws1l.jpg

http://www.allamericanracers.com/alligator/images/gator_ws5l.jpg

w2amr
06-01-2009, 02:50 AM
Steve, AC6EA wussed out on our ride yesterday - earlier in the week he purchased a Suzuki Burgman 400 scooter for his wife, and on Saturday was in the process of hunting down a 650 for himself.

He showed up in our driveway tonight with one of these:

http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/2006_suzuki_burgman_650_executive.jpg

'DSG took it out for a ride. It'll pull harder off the line than any cruiser she's ridden to date, and even some sportbikes would have a problem with it.

60MPG isn't too bad for the commute to work, either.

I have a garage full of two-wheelers, else I would really consider one.
I would rather walk. Anything that ugly should be shot.
:sick

N8YX
06-01-2009, 04:50 AM
Get to it, OF...you probably need the exercise ... :lol:

w2amr
06-01-2009, 04:55 AM
Get to it, OF...you probably need the exercise ... :lol:
I walk Leyna 1 mile every day, and spend 20 min. a day on a tredmill, I'll be fine.

KG4CGC
06-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Yeah uh, one of those pot, kettle, yada yada moments there G?

w2amr
06-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Yeah uh, one of those pot, kettle, yada yada moments there G?
Just an opinion

KG4CGC
06-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Yes, I know but what's the fun in that?
Bikes are like most things, subjective. I was thinking though, when we all start to get on up, further, in years, one of those automatic deals might be a good way to, go.

w2amr
06-04-2009, 02:45 AM
Bikes are like most things, subjective. I was thinking though, when we all start to get on up, further, in years, one of those automatic deals might be a good way to, go.
:roll:

KG4CGC
06-04-2009, 03:38 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/MotorcycleInSpace.gif

w2amr
06-04-2009, 05:29 AM
http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt27/IllicoPresto/Motivational/YoureDoingItWrong7.jpg

N8YX
06-04-2009, 07:52 AM
http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/6/16/633492505108055268-harleys.jpg

WØTKX
06-04-2009, 08:59 AM
I like bikes to ride, some riders like to be in show...

http://ezrat.com/ratbikes-files/milo_and_rat_bike1.jpg

w2amr
06-04-2009, 11:29 AM

Interesting collection of pets.

WØTKX
06-04-2009, 11:45 AM
http://www.roadsidegallery.com/load-image/StoreInventoryImage/image/146

w2amr
06-04-2009, 01:16 PM
[youtube:gfho7kxn]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9zNUPDmnz4[/youtube:gfho7kxn] :lol:

W7XF
06-05-2009, 04:26 AM

Interesting collection of pets.

Hell... ya hungry?? Just pick one of these!!! :sick: :sick: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

KB3LAZ
06-05-2009, 04:37 AM

Hell NO! Automatic, that is crazy talk man. Wazamattawitu?

KG4CGC
06-05-2009, 04:47 AM
CVT is the future in all cars and bikes.

KB3LAZ
06-05-2009, 04:49 AM

Where is the fun in that?

KG4CGC
06-05-2009, 04:54 AM
http://cars.about.com/od/thingsyouneedtoknow/a/CVT.htm

WØTKX
06-05-2009, 04:56 AM
Some automatics are pretty cool... CVT's are a little different when you punch it. Watch the tach. :lol:

[youtube:1m6jpx6c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlWYTnaDnK0[/youtube:1m6jpx6c]

KG4CGC
06-05-2009, 04:58 AM
Pretty d@mned quick!

KB3LAZ
06-05-2009, 05:01 AM
Pretty d@mned quick!

If it is an auto I dont want it.

KG4CGC
06-05-2009, 05:07 AM
If it is an auto I dont want it.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/242742179_5bba2272b4_o.jpg

w2amr
06-05-2009, 05:10 AM

Yeah really, half the fun of riding is going through the gears.

KB3LAZ
06-05-2009, 05:24 AM

tell me about it.

KG4CGC
06-05-2009, 05:29 AM

tell me about it.
Yeah, that's what I used to think.

KB3LAZ
06-05-2009, 05:37 AM

What changed your mind? And dont tell me old age, your not that old.

w2amr
06-05-2009, 05:38 AM

Maybe I could adapt one of these to work on my Harley.
:dance:
http://www2.northerntool.com/karts-minibikes-scooters/kart-mini-bike-accessories/item-13791.htm

KG4CGC
06-05-2009, 05:48 AM
Actually, it gives me one less thing to think about when negotiating traffic (read morons) and when traffic is not an issue, I can just enjoy the ride. I never thought I'd like a car with an automatic ... until I actually drove one regularly.
During the mid 70's, Honda made a full size automatic with a sidecar. Don't remember the model. These days their automatic models are the ones that sell best in Japan so, by your standards George, you would rather walk.
For the record, I'm the scooter guy who rides a liquid cooled automatic. I like most bikes though, even those faux choppers with the pull start engines.

KB3LAZ
06-05-2009, 05:50 AM
Actually, it gives me one less thing to think about when negotiating traffic (read morons) and when traffic is not an issue, I can just enjoy the ride. I never thought I'd like a car with an automatic ... until I actually drove one regularly.
During the mid 70's, Honda made a full size automatic with a sidecar. Don't remember the model. These days their automatic models are the ones that sell best in Japan so, by your standards George, you would rather walk.
For the record, I'm the scooter guy who rides a liquid cooled automatic. I like most bikes though, even those faux choppers with the pull start engines.

Hondamatic......I think. My aunt has one. It is a 73.

KG4CGC
06-05-2009, 05:52 AM
Is your aunt hot?

KB3LAZ
06-05-2009, 06:10 AM
Is your aunt hot?

God no. And I am not saying that because she is my aunt either! Think of a warthog in tights and the bearded lady mixed. She is really mean as well. She got fired from the old folks home for picking on the tenets, so to speak. Evil! Ever watch the the new misadventures of ichabod crane(the cartoon version), if so do you remember the witch? It was an unpopular version but I loved it as a child. If you have not seen it, enjoy. I read the book and dont make the connection between this cartoon and the story but I did not realize that as a kid. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWTyiwspv0c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgG3Vfxg ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgG3Vfxg6Uw&feature=related)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chdRPPJE ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chdRPPJEMfQ&feature=related)

N8YX
06-05-2009, 07:10 AM
I find it interesting that the drag-racing crowd used to shun the 750 'Matic...nowadays, the trend (at least in the car side of the sport) is to run a 2-speed tranny w/ lockup clutch. The 750's setup could be adapted to make a neat little bracket racer; the thing would be consistent as heck.

On the street, it's a different story. The automatics are slower and a bit higher revving as compared to their manually-shifted siblings, and I'm offering this observation after having ridden multiple examples of each model.

WØTKX
06-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Many interesting problems go away when the "gear" ratios are infinitely variable. For instance the motor stays at peak HP, and can be optimized for that. The inner workings of the various CVT designs are pretty cool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuously_variable_transmission

Scooters are cool. I would own a Burgman, and still might.

http://www.scooter-center.com/blog_e/wp-content/myfotos/msf/worb_1.jpg

http://themotorreport.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/scooters.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qS7lWW64y2s/RzxBTTKNJuI/AAAAAAAAA4M/jlChNy_xQvc/s400/anarchist.jpg

N8YX
06-05-2009, 10:53 AM

Picture contains giant amounts of fail.

kd6nig
06-05-2009, 12:35 PM

How the heck does the one on the right not scrape? If that girl gains 10 pounds she'll be cutting a groove in the pavement...err...grinding down that fiberglass skirting on the bottom.

WØTKX
06-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Yes the clearance is an obvious factor. Maybe they are made of summithing rubbery and flexible. Finding that picture amused me, perfect for the "hot bike crowd"... Absurd, ridiculous, and fun. Me Likey. :lol:

Do you miss the fun and snarky writing of Car and Driver in the 70's like I do? This website is a blast, excellent and amusing content...

Scoot-Touring the Honda Silverwing and Suzuki Burgman (http://onewheeldrive.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=588&Itemid=126&limit=1&limitstart=0)

Part of this in-traffic alacrity is the simplicity of engaging “warp” both bikes offer. Free of clutches, gear selection and shifting, you simply crank the throttle and are gone, leaving hot hatchback owners agape, owners of Italian super-cars stymied, and sport-bike riders frustrated. I don’t think the novelty of hiking my trousers up to the nipples, pretending to gum food in my helmet, and then taking the race boys off the line will ever wear thin - welcome to the joys of a CVT transmission.

kd6nig
06-05-2009, 12:54 PM
The big old fart pipe on the other one too. Seems like people like those annoying things on cars too.

N8YX
06-05-2009, 01:07 PM
The addition of an air shifter and engine-kill circuit to a manual-shift bike will effectively negate the CVT's advantage in a drag race.

w2amr
06-05-2009, 01:13 PM

How the heck does the one on the right not scrape? If that girl gains 10 pounds she'll be cutting a groove in the pavement...err...grinding down that fiberglass skirting on the bottom.
Little wheels under it , in the middle, keep it from tipping. Kind of like trainer wheels on a bicycle.

kd6nig
06-05-2009, 01:17 PM

Little wheels under it , in the middle, keep it from tipping. Kind of like trainer wheels on a bicycle.

Still has to be fun to go to the mall and encounter speed bumps with the thing :)

w2amr
06-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Still has to be fun to go to the mall and encounter speed bumps with the thing :)

Whatever floats yer boat dude. :sick

kd6nig
06-05-2009, 01:33 PM

Whatever floats yer boat dude. :sick

LOL not me, the girls in the pic :)

I wouldn't be caught dead on one of those things, I don't care how much you'd pay me.

But I always crack up how people drive around with lowered stuff and then have to gingerly cross over 2" high speed bumps lest they scrape the skirting right off the thing.

Not that I fly over speedbumps, but being stock I don't have to get all sideways and take up 3 lanes to cross a small lump of pavement.

WØTKX
06-05-2009, 01:49 PM
My stock Integra has issues over a lot of speed bumps... it's low enough.

...If I had a million daaahllerrs... Does it make Jetson Noises? Very cool... :drool:

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200808/victory-vision-10th--1_460x0w.jpg

N8YX
06-05-2009, 01:57 PM
http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200808/victory-vision-10th--1_460x0w.jpg
I've been on one of those. Interesting. Can Victory pull it off? Perhaps if they changed the looks or the price. They'll conspire to inhibit sales.