PDA

View Full Version : The perfect vacation thread..

KB3LAZ
04-24-2009, 03:34 PM
What is your idea of "The perfect vacation"? Or have you already experienced it?

I have come close, Tennessee. I have on several different occasions traveled to the middle of nowhere Tennessee(outside of Chattanooga). Location, a little place called toe string cottages. It was a little nook hidden in the woods on the edge off an inlet. The surroundings were quite serene, to say the least.

It is amazing that such a feeling of tranquility can be brought about just by leaving the world behind. When I was there I was truly happy, no worries or cares. Just fishing, swimming, bait collecting, bird watching, and so on. There was no tv, no radio, no cellphone, and few people. I think the best part is that I got to spend so much time with my father.

The place was run by an older couple and while there they truly made you feel like family. It seemed as if each summer things grew older and more complicated. Things changed and for the worse at that. Trees disappeared and business came in. One summer my father tried to book us a stay but we were informed that the older gentleman(Otis) had passed and that his wife went to live with her children. He also learned that the place had been sold and split up, commercialized. Sad...

Well those times have passed and it is time for me to find a new hideaway from reality. Those were the summers of my youth and the were quite memorable. I doubt that I will ever find such a place again. It is not that other similar places dont exist, its just that they hold no memories. I guess one day I will have children of my own and a similar place to share the same experiences.

So does anyone else wanna share their slice of utopia?

kf0rt
04-24-2009, 05:00 PM
I don't know how old you are, Travis, but kind of suspect that you're young and wise well beyond your years.

For me, the utopic vacation was always a little place just outside Custer, SD. Bunch of little cabins run by the state park there under the name Legion Lake Resort. I was five or six when we first went there and this was the vacation spot of my youth. This would have been 1961 or so; 48 years ago. We went every year for three weeks in August, just before the start of school. My Dad was a schoolteacher, so the timing worked for all of us.

Many, many memories of the place and we (my wife and I) still go for a week every summer, though there were many years where we didn't make it up there. The drive from Denver is about 6 hours through the most boring part of Wyoming. Torrington, Lusk... I rode it many times as a kid with my Dad at the wheel of the family station wagon, and have driven it many times now myself, but never more than once a year. About 350 miles and I don't need a map or directions to get there or any advice on the best places to eat.

The amazing thing is that it hasn't changed that much in 50 years. Yeah, the rates on the cabins have gone up and they now have TV's (but still no telephones). As a kid, our family would walk around the lake each evening and Dad would buy everyone a soda at the gas station towards the end of the walk. 90 cents would buy one each for him, my mom, me and my three siblings. 15 cents each. The roads have changed around a little and the gas station was torn down in the late 70's as I recall, but I still take that same walk every day for one week out of the year. By myself, I prefer it in the early morning.

As a teenager in the mid 70's, I took my old Galaxy V up there and threw a longwire in the trees and made contacts on 20 meters. Last year, I took my IC-7000 up there, but forgot the power cable, so it was never turned on.

It's not the same, but I'm not sure it was ever really the way I remember it, either. In my youth, those were the carefree days of summer. Hiking, swimming, fresh air. The only care in the world was the subtle reminder that the future loomed ahead; spoken in the words of "Back to school" sales, broadcast on the AM radio. Sometimes, we'd go into Rapid City to the Pennington County Fair where we could get sick on cotton candy and take rides at the carnival. Dad always made sure we were legal to go fishing at any time, and we did a lot of that. Most days were pretty much unsupervised -- make sure you're around at meal time if you want to eat.

Alas and forsooth, adulthood spoils all that with it's endless responsibilities. Mom died a couple years back and at 53, I take care of Dad more than he takes care of me (all in all, that's only fair!). What we had then was simply the innocence of youth. And once that's gone, you can never get it back. Guess what I'm saying is that the changes happen even if the bulldozers don't come in and ruin the place.

Y'know, my wife and I went to Cancun for a week a couple months ago. First time. Pretty much spent a week on the beach getting drunk and watching babes in bikinis (me, not her!). That was fun, too, but a completely different kind of fun. No real history and no real future there, but sunny beaches and bikinis in February doesn't suck when you live in Denver.

Those summers in the Black Hills meant the world to me as a kid and mean the world to me today. When you have kids of your own, you can start new traditions. Actually, the odds are you've started them already and just don't know it.

KB3LAZ
04-24-2009, 05:16 PM
0rt:

You are correct on your assumption, I am younger(21).

Very well said. I do believe that the "innocence of youth" had a lot to do with it. And I imagine you are right, things will change no matter what. It would seem that, that is just how things are. The inevitability of change is not necessarily a bad thing, just different. Even though I am still young I can feel the memories and spirit of my youth slowly fading. I spent my entire life wanting to grow up but now I just want it to slow down.

In the end the memories of simplicity will echo within my thoughts and heart.

"Those summers in the Black Hills meant the world to me as a kid and mean the world to me today."

My sentiments exactly.

Thank you for sharing...

N7RJD
04-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Best vacation we have taken was a 5 day cruise through the Eastern Caribbean. While we enjoyed spending a little time at various ports the ship itself provided relaxation like we hadn't enjoyed in years.

Of course just being out of cell range was a major plus. The phone would have worked but at nearly $5 per minute roaming we considered it out of service.

Probably the best part of the whole trip was that it was paid by the company. We still managed to find ways to spend a few hundred dollars but still came in at a fraction of what it would have cost us to finance the whole trip.

KB3LAZ
04-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Best vacation we have taken was a 5 day cruise through the Eastern Caribbean. While we enjoyed spending a little time at various ports the ship itself provided relaxation like we hadn't enjoyed in years.

Of course just being out of cell range was a major plus. The phone would have worked but at nearly $5 per minute roaming we considered it out of service.

Probably the best part of the whole trip was that it was paid by the company. We still managed to find ways to spend a few hundred dollars but still came in at a fraction of what it would have cost us to finance the whole trip.

I went on a cruise with my parents when I was in the 10th grade. I have to say that it was my least favorite vacation. Sure it was technically a vacation but only physically. If I cant find a spot that is mentally utopic then it will not be peaceful.

Why I didnt like the trip. To many self absorbed individuals aboard making asses of themselves. It was fun but not what I am looking for when I vacation.

Im glad you had a good time. I know that many people would love that opportunity but for people like me, well lets just say its not our thing.

PA5COR
04-24-2009, 05:25 PM
A very nice house on an mountain slope in Southern France.
Next neighbour 2 miles away on the other side of the mountain.

OCF antenna at 40 feet high, noise level 0 S points on 80 meters :shock: ( took me checking out the whole antenna system to believe it)

Nice 2000+ year old towns and cities within 20 miles.
Friendly peeps if you speak the lingo.
Beautifull weather, sipping an cool drink in an busy old town, after an day of wandering in and out old Cathedrals, and other old buildings.making lots of video/pictures.
Have a chat with locals.

In the evening drive back to our rented house, make a nice BBQ, sit outside till 02.00 in the night, enjoying the bands.
In the morning get fresh french bread, some orange juice, fresh coffee, butter and cheese and munch away looking over the valley.
Have a nice swim in the local rivers, climb the mountains, enjoy the views.
Staying away from other tourists as far we could be.
Buying fresh vegetables and products on local markets, bartering along the way since that is mandatory and fun.
Have a laugh beeing 7 feet tall walking along little French people 5 feet tall and have a chat about that with some.( wife is tall, son is 6' 8".....

Yep, hollidays are fun

Might have to relocate after the wife and me will have our pension ;)

kf0rt
04-24-2009, 05:39 PM
0rt:

Very well said. I do believe that the "innocence of youth" had a lot to do with it. And I imagine you are right, things will change no matter what. It would seem that, that is just how things are. The inevitability of change is not necessarily a bad thing, just different. Even though I am still young I can feel the memories and spirit of my youth slowly fading. I spent my entire life wanting to grow up but now I just want it to slow down.

"Those summers in the Black Hills meant the world to me as a kid and mean the world to me today."

My sentiments exactly.

Thank you for sharing...

This is exactly what I mean by "wise beyond your years," Travis. VERY few people "get this" at your age. I know a lot of people my age who still don't get it.

I wish things would slow down, too. Wish I had an answer, but I think it's possible to choose a more simple life. The key is to probably ignore about 95% of what you're told and just follow your "inner compass" more. You would not believe how many people at my age "wish they knew then what they know now." And an awful lot of it involves getting trapped in what we call the American Dream.

Anyway, don't want to get too deep in the philosophy of it all. This could turn into a barnburner of a thread, though. ;)

KB3LAZ
04-24-2009, 06:14 PM

I went on a cruise with my parents when I was in the 10th grade. I have to say that it was my least favorite vacation. Sure it was technically a vacation but only physically. If I cant find a spot that is mentally utopic then it will not be peaceful.

Why I didnt like the trip. To many self absorbed individuals aboard making asses of themselves. It was fun but not what I am looking for when I vacation.

Im glad you had a good time. I know that many people would love that opportunity but for people like me, well lets just say its not our thing.

That does however remind me of a trip I took with my grandfather(KE3CK) the following year. It was not really a vacation but a way to easy our minds. You see, My grandmother had just passed and we were overcome with grief. I know that everyone thinks that their grandma(formerly AA3MW, since reissued) was the best but I truly believe that mine was special. It kills me when I get to thinking about all the things that she has missed. But thats neither here nor now.

Fade......Its a cold snowy day in December, the year 2004: Im sitting in school when an announcement comes across the loud speaker for me to report to the office. (I can still remember the class and the teacher, Mrs Kelly's marine bio class.) Little did I know that I would not return to class for two weeks(13 day actually). I arrived at the office only to find my grandfather standing there. Surprised and somewhat scared I ask what was going on and my grandfather told me, "We are going on a read trip". I shook my head and we were on our way.

Turns out that my grandfather radio buddies had suggested that we take a road trip to ease our minds. The plan was to stop at all of their houses for a couple of days. Which is exactly what we did. I cant remember every detail but what I can recall is that it was a life changing event.

Finally on the road (map in hand), we started our journey. Our first stop, Arkansas to visit with lee(W5RLB). What a great pair of people Lee and his wife are. They brought us in, made us feel like family, and made us forget about the sorrow we held in our hearts. What a great feeling even if only temporary. Two days went by so fast and it was time to continue on down the road.

Continuing on our trip we end up in Madisonville, KY, the home of Jim(K9KXQ). Wouldnt you know it, a warm welcome even in a time of confusion. It turns out that Jims mother was in the hospital. Yet still we were welcomed in and treated like family. Our time with Jim and his wife was short but meaningful. For, in this short time we had made a lifetime friends as we did with everyone on this trip.

Our next stop was Kings mountain NC, Richard's(N2KP) house. Yet another warm welcome upon arrival. (It was here that I started listening to the radio once again.) Most of the time spent there was spent in the basement(Richards shack) listening to the radio and chatting about the rest of the guys. After a few days of compare and contrast about life we were on our way once again.

Back on the road, destination Stanley, NC to meet Carol(W4CLM). This is where the trip changes for me. I step into the shack of W4CLM and am instantly blown away with disbelief. I had never seen so many radios in my life(I had no clue what they were at the time). It seemed as if immediately there was a connection between her and I, there was it was amateur radio. That was it, I had been bitten and thus the journey to KB3LAZ arose. Carol stayed up with me all night and halfway through the next day explaining the fundamentals of radio to me and demonstrating how all of the equipment worked. I learned more in that one night then I have collectively over the last five years in the hobby. Well a feeling of frailty overcame my tired and overwhelmed mind, so it was off to bed.

I woke up with the day half behind me and the sun setting but I was eager to discover what knowledge Carol had to bestow upon me. Sadly I was informed that we had little time left on our journey and that we would be voyaging home shortly. After making a meal fit for a king Carol gave me a box containing many magazines (such as QST) and a "Look who's talking now tech manual". And just like that we were on our way and our journey was nearing completion.

Grandpa and I made a few short stops on our way home but those mentioned above were the most memorable. Not a vacation but a fruitful journey none the less. I think that is why I hold my license so dear, the fond memories. Even though I have told this story hundreds of times (Ok dozens) and it varies somewhat, it sticks with me and I never grow tired of telling it.

Sorry I wrote a book but I like to share memorable times with my "extended family".

KB3LAZ
04-24-2009, 06:17 PM
0rt:

My sentiments exactly.

Thank you for sharing...

This is exactly what I mean by "wise beyond your years," Travis. VERY few people "get this" at your age. I know a lot of people my age who still don't get it.

I wish things would slow down, too. Wish I had an answer, but I think it's possible to choose a more simple life. The key is to probably ignore about 95% of what you're told and just follow your "inner compass" more. You would not believe how many people at my age "wish they knew then what they know now." And an awful lot of it involves getting trapped in what we call the American Dream.

Anyway, don't want to get too deep in the philosophy of it all. This could turn into a barnburner of a thread, though. ;)

Even knowing what I do and what I have been told I fear that there will be things in my life that I later will wish I could undo or relive. But that is life, take it as it come and if you dont like the direction it is headed then change it.

Thank you for the kind words and your thoughts.

PA5COR
04-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Sorry I wrote a book but I like to share memorable times with my "extended family".Don't appologise.

Loved reading it :D

KB3LAZ
04-24-2009, 06:24 PM
Cor:

That sound truly fabulous. Maybe someday I can venture that way and experience such an exhilarating adventure. Its times like those that we wish life were a still frame.

KB3LAZ
04-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Sorry I wrote a book but I like to share memorable times with my "extended family".Don't appologise.

Thank you.

N7RJD
04-24-2009, 06:31 PM

There were other people there? I really didn't pay much attention.

Seriously there were some self absorbed idiots but we just didn't pay them any attention.

The astronomy was very nice. I spent a lot of time checking out heavenly bodies. :lol:

I grew up in the bay area in Calif and spent a lot of time on the water. I have really missed that so being on the ship on the open water was almost like homecoming. It is something I would do again and again given the opportunity.

This year they are flying to Cancun and spending a week there. I have no desire to sit at a beach resort for a week and have already turned them down. I told them to make it another cruise and I would be there.

kf0rt
04-24-2009, 06:36 PM

Ditto here. This is really the stuff that makes life worth living. We should think more about this and less about people who desire wars and huge paychecks.

Your ham trip story is amazing, Travis. My grandfather was interested in radio and had a couple of shortwave receivers. He was a preacher; born in 1893 and died in 1965. Dad was interested, but never had the time. I was the first in the family to get a ham license (1970).

KB3LAZ
04-24-2009, 06:38 PM
There were other people there? I really didn't pay much attention.

Seriously there were some self absorbed idiots but we just didn't pay them any attention.

The astronomy was very nice. I spent a lot of time checking out heavenly bodies. :lol:

I grew up in the bay area in Calif and spent a lot of time on the water. I have really missed that so being on the ship on the open water was almost like homecoming. It is something I would do again and again given the opportunity.

This year they are flying to Cancun and spending a week there. I have no desire to sit at a beach resort for a week and have already turned them down. I told them to make it another cruise and I would be there.

Ya, that was an upside. I already live in the country be even still I dont have a view of the sky like the one I got on the ship. I rather enjoy getting lost in the night sky while I gave at the stars.

I see how it pleased you so, now. The connection between your childhood and times past. I sometimes wonder if that is how we judge an enjoyable time. If it is merely a foundation built off distant memories that refuse to let go.

rot
04-24-2009, 06:39 PM
It's funny. My best times were in Moncks Corner,SC on the Santee. Swimming, fishing, walking the white sand roads for miles out in the middle of nowhere and of course eating Mom's famous pineapple sammiches. Not a care in the world.
My wife, originally from Queens, talks with passion mind you, of the great summer days of her youth donning the water wings, beach pails and heading for Jones beach on the subway. Cracks me up. :D
I really like her brothers and sisters alot and we have a blast every other year somewheres just sitting around bullshitting for a week or so. Some days we actually do stuff.
rot

p.s. Good stuff peoples

KB3LAZ
04-24-2009, 06:44 PM

Ditto here. This is really the stuff that makes life worth living. We should think more about this and less about people who desire wars and huge paychecks.

Your ham trip story is amazing, Travis. My grandfather was interested in radio and had a couple of shortwave receivers. He was a preacher; born in 1893 and died in 1965. Dad was interested, but never had the time. I was the first in the family to get a ham license (1970).

It is interesting how our connections to the hobby can spark from such a similar place or event. Many times involving a close friend or member of the family. I am glad that I get to share this hobby with my grandfather. Someday when he is gone I will be able to look at my radio and smile rather than cry. Hopefully something I can pass down through the ages.

As far as having discussions on topics such as this rather than war, and pain, I am all for it. I know that I can be a depressant at times but for the most part these are the things I think of.

KB3LAZ
04-24-2009, 06:46 PM
It's funny. My best times were in Moncks Corner,SC on the Santee. Swimming, fishing, walking the white sand roads for miles out in the middle of nowhere and of course eating Mom's famous pineapple sammiches. Not a care in the world.
My wife, originally from Queens, talks with passion mind you, of the great summer days of her youth donning the water wings, beach pails and heading for Jones beach on the subway. Cracks me up. :D
I really like her brothers and sisters alot and we have a blast every other year somewheres just sitting around bullshitting for a week or so. Some days we actually do stuff.
rot

p.s. Good stuff peoples

That's what it is all about, life that is. It is amazing how wonderful the simple things that we take for granted can be.

KB3LAZ
04-24-2009, 06:49 PM
Wow, I have enjoyed the lighter conversation. It is a nice change to talk about life in a positive way and to disregard politics. This is exactly what I mean when I say that I live in a realm of fantasy. Its not really fantasy but it is beings it is not the present. It is more of a dream world, like living within your memories.

I thank all that have participated so far and hope to hear more stories.

rot
04-24-2009, 06:52 PM
Back on the road, destination Stanley, NC to meet Carol(W4CLM).

Cool. You guys are typing faster than I can read... :D
My dad was born in Stanley.
Small world
rot

N7YA
04-24-2009, 07:02 PM
I wont lie, i am at peace no matter my surroundings...i can find beauty and interest anywhere i find myself. Places, such as the one you described, are the icing on the big cake! No matter what, you can always find your sanctuary in your surroundings. Be it a noisy city street, a dramatic mountain range or an air-conditioned bookstore on a blazing hot day, whatever brings you peace and an deeper understanding of things.

But ill happily share a couple of the little Utopias that stood out to me from my past...and some present. Redoubt, Alaska...yes, the volcano that is blowing its wad all over the place up there. When i lived on that mountain, nothing could possibly describe the beauty...several eagles in the area, a great snowy owl, the beach was absolutely covered in agate stones of all colors, huge groupings of pilot whales combing the shoreline for food...this would last for up to 2 hours as they calmly swam by me not 10 feet away in the shallow water. Amazing place! If you drive anywhere outside of Vegas, then head out into the desert at night...the smell of juniper and sage blowing across the plain is very nice, especially when its a full moon and all the mountain ranges and cactii come into the glow, couple that with a gentle warm breeze coming off the desert with the occasional howl of a coyote. That kind of things just takes you away.

I camped out on the north rim of the Grand Canyon once at a place called Toroweep, out in the middle of nowhere, quite the rough drive. But wow!! Out there its mountain lion country, not to mention rattlers and coyotes, but i can handle those things in exchange for the experience...the Milky Way star band is really bright out there and the canyon is startling. Get there if you can. It was made more special by the fact that my trip out there was to spread a friends ashes so it held a deeper connection.

Monterey area, CA...specifically Pacific Grove and Carmel. I lived there as a kid, and all the images keep coming back to me that i appreciate more these days. But even as a kid, i was amazed at the place. The trees were HUGE, the wind rustling through the pines, the scent of sea air and pine together is astounding. Once a year, Monarch Butterflies migrate through the area and nest on the sides of these big trees. if you stand with your back to the tree and look up, you see thousands of Monarchs coming and going. The place i lived in was 1/2 mile from the beach so i could hear the waves crashing on the rocks nightly with the ocean breeze in the pines...yeah, its better than you are picturing it.

As im writing this, hundreds of other places and experiences are coming into my view but ill cut it off there. I will be flying to PA next tuesday for a week. The green rolling hills, trees, small historic towns, i love it. I will fly back home, have one day off, then its up to Seattle...dont get me started on THAT place. I LOVE the pacific northwest. I even lived there for a year and loved every rainy day of it! :D

Like i said, there is beauty everywhere around you...it just depends on the eyes that are seeing it. Despite all the troubles were in as a nation, im truly happy to be alive....nice thread, thanks Kev. :)

kf0rt
04-24-2009, 07:06 PM

It is interesting how our connections to the hobby can spark from such a similar place or event. Many times involving a close friend or member of the family. I am glad that I get to share this hobby with my grandfather. Someday when he is gone I will be able to look at my radio and smile rather than cry. Hopefully something I can pass down through the ages.

As far as having discussions on topics such as this rather than war, and pain, I am all for it. I know that I can be a depressant at times but for the most part these are the things I think of.

You wouldn't believe the conversations I have with my boss on this subject. We're old pals; started working with the company about the same time 24 years ago and we spend a lot of lunch hours together. There really is a strong interest in simplifying life. We're both "high salary" engineers and after decades of hard work, there's not a lot of personal satisfaction.

"Well, that was sure another depressing conversation" is a common statement.

M0GLO
04-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Don't know, haven't really had one in about 9 years.

KI4MRM
04-24-2009, 07:19 PM
Has anyone been to Biloxi, MS (post Katrina et.al) If so how is it?

KB3LAZ
04-24-2009, 07:21 PM
N7YA:

"I wont lie, i am at peace no matter my surroundings...i can find beauty and interest anywhere i find myself."

That is truly an amazing trait.

Wow, it sounds like you have been to some really nice and relaxing places. Volcanoes, owls, canyons and alike, awesome.

Pa, you say. What part of pa? Your a musician, right? Is the trip gonna be business or pleasure?

KB3LAZ
04-24-2009, 07:24 PM
Don't know, haven't really had one in about 9 years.

Sorry to hear that, Todd.

KB3LAZ
04-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Has anyone been to Biloxi, MS (post Katrina et.al) If so how is it?Nope, never been there or near that area.

KB3LAZ
04-24-2009, 07:27 PM
You wouldn't believe the conversations I have with my boss on this subject. We're old pals; started working with the company about the same time 24 years ago and we spend a lot of lunch hours together. There really is a strong interest in simplifying life. We're both "high salary" engineers and after decades of hard work, there's not a lot of personal satisfaction.

"Well, that was sure another depressing conversation" is a common statement.

That's one thing that I hope to avoid in life, a career that plagues me. The dean always tells me what she thinks I would be good at, thing is that it does not interest me. Sure it pays more money wise, but what will I get from it? I prefer sociology and that is where I am going to say.

N7YA
04-24-2009, 07:29 PM

Lived there as a small child in the mid 60's. My dad was stationed near there. My mom recounted a story of her and i at the laundromat, i was playing with some other little kid and having fun running around, yada, yada...these 2 fat rednecks came in and started giving my mom hell for letting her white child play with a ni**er, they started getting aggressive with her, the other kid bolted out of there and i guess i was getting scared...my dad showed up just in time. Im glad that kind of thing is becoming outdated. Racism is just plain ignorant.

Havent been back since, but i would still like to visit the deep south...most northern folks have images of plantations, lynchings and redneck slobs, swilling moonshine from a jug with 3 X's on it...im almost certain that couldnt be further from the truth. That describes some northern towns i HAVE visited.

N7YA
04-24-2009, 07:34 PM
N7YA:

"I wont lie, i am at peace no matter my surroundings...i can find beauty and interest anywhere i find myself."

Wow, it sounds like you have been to some really nice and relaxing places. Volcanoes, owls, canyons and alike, awesome.

Pa, you say. What part of pa? Your a musician, right? Is the trip gonna be business or pleasure?

Thank you. I had to work to find that trait, trust me. Im glad i did. :D

I will be in PA...Carlisle to be exact...to visit family and take some time and decompress, definately a bonafide vacation. I will be flying into Seattle for business and renting a van, so one van, 6 band members...not much opportunity to explore. But i am one of the vans drivers since i dont drink, so i can usually take the van out in the morning for the day while everyone else sleeps off their hangovers...those are the peaceful times.

KB3LAZ
04-24-2009, 07:40 PM
N7YA:

Thank you. I had to work to find that trait, trust me. Im glad i did. :D

I will be in PA...Carlisle to be exact...to visit family and take some time and decompress, definately a bonafide vacation. I will be flying into Seattle for business and renting a van, so one van, 6 band members...not much opportunity to explore. But i am one of the vans drivers since i dont drink, so i can usually take the van out in the morning for the day while everyone else sleeps off their hangovers...those are the peaceful times.

That's good, have a good and relaxing time. I would suggest some scenery but I am not familiar with that area.

N7RJD
04-24-2009, 07:43 PM

I know one person that has but she can't say anything about it. Their hospital OD'd her on morphine and killed her.

KB3LAZ
04-24-2009, 07:47 PM

I know one person that has but she can't say anything about it. Their hospital OD'd her on morphine and killed her.

Oh..sorry to hear that.

N7YA
04-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Thats awful!

But, she was probably feeling no pain whatsoever and was on a MUCH better vacation than any of us....aside from the "getting killed" part. :-?

KI4MRM
04-24-2009, 09:41 PM
I was checking out places to stay and saw Harrahs is $59 per night. I can't stay at my place for that price. :shhh

N7YA
04-24-2009, 09:49 PM
I actually have a standing gig at Harrahs...heading there in a few.

Hey, i remember a thread where someone linked Omegle, the random chat engine, chat with a stranger, etc...i just tried it.

My convo went a little like this...

Me: Hi

Them: Hi

Me: ever done this site before?

Them: ye (they forgot the s)

Me: I never have, i was linked here...how are you?

Them: good, m or f?

Me: im a m, in Vegas

[The stranger has terminated the chat]

It looks a lot like a creepfest to me...the kind of place where guys who kidnap teenaged girls hang out. Just my gut feeling. Have any of you tried that place?

N7RJD
04-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Thats awful!

But, she was probably feeling no pain whatsoever and was on a MUCH better vacation than any of us....aside from the "getting killed" part. :-?

Actually she was feeling more pain as a result of the morphine. Funny how that works but it gave her some pretty hefty chest pains shortly before.

Either way 27 is too young to go. Of the numbers of people I have known to die I have been able to justify all others as their being in a better place or them no longer suffering but not this one. This girl had been through months of pure hell and overcame every bit of it with a lovin' life attitude. It took a drunk driver and some incompetent doctors to do her in.

She is the one person that no matter what happens, even if I end up sitting in my own drool in front of a TV watching ants in a snow storm and seeing distant memories as they fade in and out, I will never forget.

N7RJD
04-24-2009, 11:49 PM
I was checking out places to stay and saw Harrahs is $59 per night. I can't stay at my place for that price. :shhh

I can hook you up. I have a spot in the shed. I'm sure I can get you in for $40 per night. :lol: :lol:

KB3LAZ
04-24-2009, 11:51 PM

I can hook you up. I have a spot in the shed. I'm sure I can get you in for $40 per night. :lol: :lol:

Oh no, this thread went from intelligent conversations about utopic like surroundings to, deliverance. :shock:

ad4mg
04-25-2009, 05:17 PM
This is a shameless bump for this thread. Like the "What are you listening to" thread, and similar threads here and there, these stories, and those songs, along with the humor around this place make it more than worth my time invested in the site!

kf0rt
04-25-2009, 06:37 PM
This is a shameless bump for this thread. Like the "What are you listening to" thread, and similar threads here and there, these stories, and those songs, along with the humor around this place make it more than worth my time invested in the site!

Yup... In fact, lemme see if I can dredge up my pics from "utopia" last summer.

Ah, yes....

http://home.comcast.net/~kf0rt/ll08/

Apologies for the "Banana Album" stuff. That was an experiment. And it's rare that I'd ever put a shot of "moi" on the net, but in the spirit of brotherhood.... My smarta$$ comments are at the bottom of the pics.

This was a very interesting trip because we met up with my bro and sis-in-law while we were there (wife's sis and her husband). They had never been to the Black Hills and wanted to see Mt. Rushmore. They drove a bigass camper in and parked it. We showed 'em around for about 3 days before heading back to Denver. They're still talking about how much fun it was. We enjoyed it, too.

This is a highly redacted set of photos. With no pets this time, we really got around. My bro-in-law is a 'Nam vet - Marines. He's disabled with a long list of medical issues, but still has fun. We took him to the night show at Mt. Rushmore -- if you've never been, it's very patriotic, and slanted toward the military.

We also toured a Minuteman missile site, but the in-laws weren't along for that. Unfortunately, this doesn't really show the beauty of where we stay. And there's really no way to capture the innocence of youth, even with a Nikon.

ad4mg
04-25-2009, 07:40 PM

Ah, yes....

Apologies for the "Banana Album" stuff. That was an experiment. And it's rare that I'd ever put a shot of "moi" on the net, but in the spirit of brotherhood.... My smarta$$ comments are at the bottom of the pics.

This was a very interesting trip because we met up with my bro and sis-in-law while we were there (wife's sis and her husband). They had never been to the Black Hills and wanted to see Mt. Rushmore. They drove a bigass camper in and parked it. We showed 'em around for about 3 days before heading back to Denver. They're still talking about how much fun it was. We enjoyed it, too.

This is a highly redacted set of photos. With no pets this time, we really got around. My bro-in-law is a 'Nam vet - Marines. He's disabled with a long list of medical issues, but still has fun. We took him to the night show at Mt. Rushmore -- if you've never been, it's very patriotic, and slanted toward the military.

We also toured a Minuteman missile site, but the in-laws weren't along for that. Unfortunately, this doesn't really show the beauty of where we stay. And there's really no way to capture the innocence of youth, even with a Nikon.
Awesome pics, Rob! Hope to make it west of the Mississippi before I die! Been all up & down the east coast, and flew briefly into Houston for a 3 day, 2 night business trip, but never had a chance to travel the western half of our country. Never even been to California!

KB3LAZ
04-25-2009, 07:45 PM

Ah, yes....

Nice pics....

kc7jty
04-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Perfect Vacation?
16 Vestal Virgins and a bag of good dope.

kf0rt
04-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Perfect Vacation?
16 Vestal virgins and a bag of good dope.
That does it. I'm headed to Rathdrum.

KB3LAZ
04-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Perfect Vacation?

Well I guess that would do it if you were only looking for a mental vacation.

kc7jty
04-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Perfect Vacation?

Well I guess that would do it if you were only looking for a mental vacation.
I'm sure at least one of them would demand more than your mind.

N7YA
04-25-2009, 08:25 PM
Hey, a vacation is a vacation....and that one sounds great to me! :D

kc7jty
04-25-2009, 08:27 PM
I hope to someday visit Barcelona, and the south of France.

ki4itv
04-25-2009, 08:31 PM
...and the south of France.
Why doesn't anyone just go ahead and say Spain? :whistle

kc7jty
04-25-2009, 08:32 PM
...and the south of France.
Why doesn't anyone just go ahead and say Spain? :whistle
HAAH!

N7YA
04-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Im a hopeless DXer...i would LOVE to visit SV, I and IS0, and i have always wanted to visit JA, havent done that yet. Hell, ive never even been to KH6. And i hope that politics will one day allow me to travel across zones 20, 21, 34 and 37...but its not advised right now. But yes, i would really like to at least go to F and EA as well, maybe even hang out on EA8 with all the DL's. That would be FB!

kc7jty
04-25-2009, 08:52 PM
Im a hopeless DXer...i would LOVE to visit SV, I and IS0, and i have always wanted to visit JA, havent done that yet. Hell, ive never even been to KH6. And i hope that politics will one day allow me to travel across zones 20, 21, 34 and 37...but its not advised right now. But yes, i would really like to at least go to F and EA as well, maybe even hang out on EA8 with all the DL's. That would be FB!
I'd like to visit JA too. On a few occasions I found myself among some young nationals visiting here and was totally fascinated by everything about them, especially the innocent antics and big smiles.

al2n
04-26-2009, 06:52 PM
I would love to have a boat. A larger boat that could sleep 4 or 5 comfortably and travel through the inside passage of Alaska down along the coast of Washington and Oregon, fishing all the way.

Another fun trip would be hunting feral hogs in the lower 48.

WØTKX
04-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Experiencing Zero G, and looking down on the lovely marble we live on. And the stars... :mrgreen:

N7YA
04-27-2009, 04:56 AM
I would love to have a boat. A larger boat that could sleep 4 or 5 comfortably and travel through the inside passage of Alaska down along the coast of Washington and Oregon, fishing all the way.

Another fun trip would be hunting feral hogs in the lower 48.

Now you're diggin' where there taters! :D When the words 'fishing' and 'Alaska' come together, it only means good things.

KI4MRM
04-29-2009, 09:59 PM
The Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Biloxi, MS is top notch. :dance

W4RLR
01-23-2012, 07:39 PM
Has anyone been to Biloxi, MS (post Katrina et.al) If so how is it?Mostly cleaned up and all of the casinos and hotels are operating. Even Keesler Air Force Base has a new commissary and base exchange. Sadly, the A&W root beer stand on base was not rebuilt.