PDA

View Full Version : Heard A CB QSO

n2ize
04-03-2009, 05:00 PM
I am hearing a CB QSO on 27.315 right now. It's the first time I have heard a QSO on 11 meters in probably well over a decade. The amount of brilliance is staggering. This one guy knows he was stepping on someone because he could hear himself heterodyning the other station for a couple seconds when he unkeyed his mic. That really takes some talent. He was also testing his leeneyer and his mic to see if it has that swing. And when he cranked it up... wow, what clean pure distortion. Now he's blowing smoke.

Wow. One can really learn a lot from listening to these cool CB'er dudes. It's real NYC CB at it's finest.

n0eq
04-03-2009, 06:33 PM
I am hearing a CB QSO on 27.315 right now. It's the first time I have heard a QSO on 11 meters in probably well over a decade. The amount of brilliance is staggering. This one guy knows he was stepping on someone because he could hear himself heterodyning the other station for a couple seconds when he unkeyed his mic...

How does one "hear himself hetrodying"?

Lumpy
-
You looked goofy back then too
http://digitalcartography.com/camp/CraigPromo-Early.jpg

kb2vxa
04-04-2009, 02:28 AM
Yeah, that's what I'd like to know too... LDEs?

n2ize
04-04-2009, 04:10 AM
I am hearing a CB QSO on 27.315 right now. It's the first time I have heard a QSO on 11 meters in probably well over a decade. The amount of brilliance is staggering. This one guy knows he was stepping on someone because he could hear himself heterodyning the other station for a couple seconds when he unkeyed his mic...

Lumpy
-

I guess its one of those things that only a CB'er can do.

N8YX
04-04-2009, 07:08 AM
No CB activity in NY?

Last time we had a decent short-range sporadic E even taking place I tuned up and down the 26-30MHz segment, checking things out...and found that a large majority of the stations I heard were from NYC or nearby areas.

27.600 and 27.620 seem to be popular with the cabbies in your area, John...

N2NH
04-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Like John, I can't hear much on CB here either. Not that I listen very often, I don't, but whenever I have, it's been mostly static with the occasional trucker coming into the city.

n2ize
04-04-2009, 09:28 PM
I don;t hear much except for static either, and an occaisional trucker here and there. I'm using a Kenwood R-1000 receiver and an 80 meter doublet through an multiband link coupled tuner so, maybe it's not as hot up on 11 meters as it is on the lower bands. Still, it does hear and if there were local CB activity I'd be hearing it blasting in.

W2NAP
04-05-2009, 03:36 AM
there is a crap ton of cb activity around me.

kc7jty
04-05-2009, 07:49 AM
Lumpy
He must have the talkback feature.

kd6nig
04-06-2009, 10:24 AM
He was dropping the Maul on someone :)

kb2vxa
04-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Is that the Darth Maul or M. C. Hammer on steroids? (Can't touch this.)

kd6nig
04-08-2009, 09:03 AM

Not sure. Either that or they were walking the dog or kicking the cat, or as one guy always said "he just got down."

W2NAP
04-08-2009, 01:33 PM

Not sure. Either that or they were walking the dog or kicking the cat, or as one guy always said "he just got down."

i remember few years ago i was scanning thu the cb band. skip was "rolling" well hit strong sigs on 27.025.0 channel 6. and then i heard it.

CLICK
CLICK
CLUNK
they call me scotty, they caaall me scotty, when i key up i put the whole world on hold. but if i tell them who i really am, the whole world will put the key down on me. but it dont matter. they call me scotty. and i just got down.

50 over S9.

N2RJ
04-08-2009, 02:39 PM
You guys who live in NYC probably can't hear CBers because the noise floor is too high.

It's so high that when I was living in NYC I had problem even receiving AM broadcast radio. HF? Hah! Challenge to say the least. With all of the plasma TV trash now I'm sure it's gotten 20000x worse.

Out where I live I can hear the truckers along route 80 or the NJTP. There are scores of them. Lots of them on the cross bronx and various NYC exp'ways as well.

kd6nig
04-08-2009, 03:39 PM
I've always wondered how much power and stuff is wasted in older cities because of old wiring and the like.

n2ize
04-08-2009, 08:18 PM

i remember few years ago i was scanning thu the cb band. skip was "rolling" well hit strong sigs on 27.025.0 channel 6. and then i heard it.

CLICK
CLICK
CLUNK
they call me scotty, they caaall me scotty, when i key up i put the whole world on hold. but if i tell them who i really am, the whole world will put the key down on me. but it dont matter. they call me scotty. and i just got down.

50 over S9.

KHCHAAA !! THEY CALL ME WHIRLEWIDE.... AN I'M BACK OUT...

N8YX
04-09-2009, 07:14 AM
KHCHAAA !! THEY CALL ME WHIRLEWIDE.... AN I'M BACK OUT...

When summer Es starts up in a few weeks...tune your HF receiver to the " 'Bowl" (27.025) and listen for "Clarence Carter" from Texas.

I'm hearing and/or working folks from that area on 10M during one such opening; a station with legal-limit power to a Yagi at 100ft is giving me S-9 to 10/S-9. "Clarence", on the other hand, d@mn near pins my rig's S-meter... :shock:

N2RJ
04-09-2009, 01:51 PM
I've always wondered how much power and stuff is wasted in older cities because of old wiring and the like.

Quite a lot!

There's even more being wasted by heat due to conductors that are carrying current that has long surpassed their carrying capacity.

W2NAP
04-09-2009, 08:20 PM
[youtube:10qxiius]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGPLz2nX0GM[/youtube:10qxiius]

kb2vxa
04-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Very much like Point, in the summer with air conditioner overload the voltage sags and the wires almost glow. Maybe living a block from the substation now is a good thing.

kd6nig
04-10-2009, 09:06 AM
I recently bought the "Harbor Freight" equal to the "kill a watt" (well, not really, all this one does is show voltage, watts and amps) and plugged it into the circuit that powers 2 of my computers as well as my home ham setup. I'm surprised at how much the voltage bounces around.

Glad I have a UPS on there for the computers :)

kb2vxa
04-10-2009, 06:03 PM
You must be new to this. (;->) I've had an RCA WV-120A expanded scale RMS voltmeter reading the mains for years and what surprises ME is the bearings haven't worn out. I don't worry about power conditioners and UPS, the mains are clean, power seldom goes out and the computer PSU handles 90-130V without complaint.

I don't have any CBers around here either......... cue the Munchkins.

n2ize
04-20-2009, 12:27 AM
Very much like Point, in the summer with air conditioner overload the voltage sags and the wires almost glow. Maybe living a block from the substation now is a good thing.

Your wires glow ??? I hope you're house is knob and tube wired and I hope the wires are on some solid insulators.

n2ize
04-20-2009, 12:39 AM

Recipe for Disaster

Old cloth covered extension cord running under an old rug, insulation worn off from 50 years of people walking over it and kids playing on it. End of the cord is attached a three way plug and attached is the christmas tree, the TV set and a heater and all three are running at the same time. It's plugged into a wall in a darkened corner at the far end of the room where it emerges from under the rug and if you look carefully at the old rubber plug you notice an wisp of smoke rising from the hot plug. But nobody see's it because 3 years worth of old newspapers and magazines are stacked up in front of it.

Hypothetical ? yes... but probably a reality in lots of places.

When I lived in my old Brooklyn apartment I remember plugging a heater into an extension cord on an extremely cold night. I was about 7 years old at the time and when I came back into the room I noticed the rubber plug was near melted and was smoking like mad. Few minutes more and it would have probably lit the place up, Never ran a heater into an extension cord again.

kd6nig
04-20-2009, 10:04 AM

Recipe for Disaster

Old cloth covered extension cord running under an old rug, insulation worn off from 50 years of people walking over it and kids playing on it. End of the cord is attached a three way plug and attached is the christmas tree, the TV set and a heater and all three are running at the same time. It's plugged into a wall in a darkened corner at the far end of the room where it emerges from under the rug and if you look carefully at the old rubber plug you notice an wisp of smoke rising from the hot plug. But nobody see's it because 3 years worth of old newspapers and magazines are stacked up in front of it.

Hypothetical ? yes... but probably a reality in lots of places.

When I lived in my old Brooklyn apartment I remember plugging a heater into an extension cord on an extremely cold night. I was about 7 years old at the time and when I came back into the room I noticed the rubber plug was near melted and was smoking like mad. Few minutes more and it would have probably lit the place up, Never ran a heater into an extension cord again.

I've seen a few of those "Generic" 100 foot 15a rated cords melt up when construction guys connect up about 20 things to them. The roofing crew that did our house about 2 years ago comes to mind. They had it running off a generator, powering a compressor for their nailing guns and some other stuff as well. Suddenly the compressor stops, the genset drops to idle, and guys are wondering whats going on. Melted right at the plug, luckily it didn't mess up the genset.

I had to put a (short) extension cord on an AC unit in my apartment, but I bought one that was rated for it. 6' cord cost $35. There is a reason those other ones are cheap-they say 15A but I wouldn't run more than 5 through one :)

I actually bought the thing out of sheer curiosity, they were on sale for $10. Its interesting to see how little amperage changes when fans kick on, etc. Course, I can see the same info on the UPS, but I don't have everything plugged into it, only the boxes and monitors. The laser printer when cold though will kick up to 700W for a few seconds to warm up the innards, though. Not something I'd want to have on a circuit with a bunch of other stuff, to be sure.

The Ham station power supply only uses about 52W when I have everything on. Receive only, of course :)

bigjohn
08-05-2009, 10:47 PM
i never go there anymore as i can feel the brain cells slipping away every moment i am there

N2CHX
08-05-2009, 11:00 PM
[quote="n0eq"How does one "hear himself hetrodying"?
[/quote]

Moonbounce? :snicker:

PA5COR
08-06-2009, 03:54 AM
Standard voltage of the mains here is 230V AC 50 Hz
In our home we have 4 groups each 16 amps, the wiring is checked every time the occupant chaanges house or when the house is sold.
If the occupant stays longer as 10 years the electricity company sends out their inspectors to check the wiring if it is up to code.

That old wiring was replaced here in the 60's ( cloth wiring) and replaced with pvc covered wiring in pvc pipes.

Might be a bit strickt, but fires or accidents related to electricity are very seldom in the Netherlands.
Standard is also the 30 mA trip switch 16 Amp "fuse" for every group.
As is the mandatory eart wiring for every room and outlet in wet area's like kitchen and bathroom.

My network for the vertical and safety earth of my station is connected to the house earth system, earth resistance measured less as 0.2 Ohm.

That was before i added a lot more earth points and radial field
Safety first :snicker: .

suddenseer
09-26-2009, 11:59 AM

Lumpy
-

You should already be aware of the things a person can hear with bananas in your ears.

cul de n8tb

n0eq
10-06-2009, 11:09 AM

You should already be aware of the things a person can hear with bananas in your ears.

Mine are wide band bananas. I hear white noise.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

www.n0eq.com (http://www.n0eq.com)

suddenseer
10-16-2009, 04:56 PM
If you love nanners like I think you do, you will NEVER be a bad person in my book. Nanners are magick.

K9FON
10-28-2009, 04:07 PM
CB here is pretty dead as well. Well except Ch 19 and the occasional locals on CH 38 LSB. Other than that its dead. Even 2 meters is pretty dead here. So thats pretty much why i im mostly on HF above 20 meters.

N8YX
10-28-2009, 04:52 PM
CB here is pretty dead as well. Well except Ch 19 and the occasional locals on CH 38 LSB. Other than that its dead. Even 2 meters is pretty dead here. So thats pretty much why i im mostly on HF above 20 meters.
Same here, and even the SSBers have moved on. There are a couple of what I'll term "comedy channels" but there seems to be little else.

Our VHF/UHF repeaters are dead of their own making. Too many "private" clubs, husband/wife command-and-control networks...most users got pi$$ed at the antics and went to simplex. That community is flourishing in our area, and the oddball "open" repeater system is doing quite well.