PDA

View Full Version : "You're Going To Need A Bigger Boat (Anchor)!"... so I got one...

W3WN
03-20-2024, 06:43 PM
Like I need another project. [ I may have to retire just to work on all of these... nah... ]

Was contacted a few weeks ago by a local ham about my age. He's retiring from his job at local municipality, and it just so happens that he has a couple of old rigs that were his father's (who I knew many, many years ago from one of the local clubs). One of them was a Hallicrafters SX-117, and he'd heard that I liked and sometimes collected Hallicrafters...

We met up tonight... and the municipal building, seems he has a trailer parked in the back. Got the SX-117... and an HT-37 transmitter, a couple of DowKey relays (including one in a "wiring harness" for the equipment), mike and manuals. He figured I might want the whole package. Couldn't pass it up...

I'd forgotten how heavy an HT-37 is.

Gear looks to be in decent shape, though the transmitter case could use some rust removal and a fresh coat of paint. Glenn told me the equipment was last on the air about 8-9 years ago, before his father passed; Seth used them on a regular basis until his passing. Not to worry. I have a variac.

Well, now I've got to find some bench space, and then we'll see.

I always liked the HT-37. I traded a troublesome HW-100 for one, also got an SX-101 in the deal, back in the late 1970's. That was the equipment that composed my first real working HF station. My last one was paired with an SX-111... plus a modified HT-41 linear, 6 and 2 meter transverters, TO keyer, and I had to sell all of it off after I got laid off and needed the shekels. So I'm glad to have one back.

But what do I do with the Swan 350, currently sitting in the garage, waiting for restoration?

KG4CGC
03-20-2024, 07:01 PM
CongratS!
Sometimes there are days that I miss my old SP-600.

NQ6U
03-20-2024, 08:30 PM
I like boat anchors too. Here’s one of mine:

https://i.imgur.com/M5uT5rF.png

WZ7U
03-21-2024, 12:44 AM
Helluva air brake there.

K4PIH
03-21-2024, 08:01 PM
Like I need another project. [ I may have to retire just to work on all of these... nah... ]

Was contacted a few weeks ago by a local ham about my age. He's retiring from his job at local municipality, and it just so happens that he has a couple of old rigs that were his father's (who I knew many, many years ago from one of the local clubs). One of them was a Hallicrafters SX-117, and he'd heard that I liked and sometimes collected Hallicrafters...

We met up tonight... and the municipal building, seems he has a trailer parked in the back. Got the SX-117... and an HT-37 transmitter, a couple of DowKey relays (including one in a "wiring harness" for the equipment), mike and manuals. He figured I might want the whole package. Couldn't pass it up...

I'd forgotten how heavy an HT-37 is.

Gear looks to be in decent shape, though the transmitter case could use some rust removal and a fresh coat of paint. Glenn told me the equipment was last on the air about 8-9 years ago, before his father passed; Seth used them on a regular basis until his passing. Not to worry. I have a variac.

Well, now I've got to find some bench space, and then we'll see.

I always liked the HT-37. I traded a troublesome HW-100 for one, also got an SX-101 in the deal, back in the late 1970's. That was the equipment that composed my first real working HF station. My last one was paired with an SX-111... plus a modified HT-41 linear, 6 and 2 meter transverters, TO keyer, and I had to sell all of it off after I got laid off and needed the shekels. So I'm glad to have one back.

But what do I do with the Swan 350, currently sitting in the garage, waiting for restoration?

Ron, I smell the bait! Right now I'm picking up a complete Swan 500 so I'm kind of Swan'd out! Hang on to it and when I get the other stuff settled I'll contact you.

W3WN
03-21-2024, 09:23 PM
Ron, I smell the bait! Right now I'm picking up a complete Swan 500 so I'm kind of Swan'd out! Hang on to it and when I get the other stuff settled I'll contact you.

73”Smelled” the bait? That hint wasn’t exactly subtle!

i had a shot at a Swan 700, belongs to a member of my club. Still thinking about it...