PDA

View Full Version : Often Imitated, Never Duplicated

W3WN
02-26-2024, 07:30 PM
Needless to say, I was a touch surprised yesterday morning, walking around the club hamfest, when I spotted THIS T-Shirt...

Complete with manifesto... and yes, he was recruiting...
Note the start date. I do believe that they're just a little late to the party...

And yes, K3PQ did acknowledge that there are "a few" groups using the IoMH name. But that they were first. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

...on edit... forgot to mention, if you go the website, they're the "Misfit Hams ARC. Hmmm. Wonder if someone said something to them...

WZ7U
02-26-2024, 07:43 PM
Hey, don't let these guys get away with this stuff. Not that there is anything wrong with imitation, but I'm not keen on someone compromising the idea behind this place. They can join up or fuck off in my never so humble opinion.

But I'm a zed reject. Lol. What do I know.

ad4mg
02-26-2024, 08:35 PM
The REAL 'Island of Misfit Hams' was started on January 19, 2007 by Mike Wood, AL2N, on a dare from a misguided QRZ moderator.

It's possible that this group wasn't even aware of us when they started their club. They seem totally focused on promoting good will with amateur radio.

It's obvious who coined the name "Island of Misfit Hams" first. They should recognize that at the very least...

WZ7U
02-26-2024, 09:25 PM
I think it's a rip off of Mike's work, posing as the IOMH. Probably not actionable, but it's something I will remember and if I got a chance, I'd be happy to remind them of this fact.

FFS, how hard was a web search prior to stealing the name.

KG4CGC
02-26-2024, 10:29 PM
Is this what is driving traffic here?

WZ7U
02-26-2024, 11:30 PM
I have no idea, but it would be nice if we had more traffic, no?

Not sure that is the right way to go, letting some name thiefs muddy the water.

KG4CGC
02-27-2024, 02:09 AM
No issues with traffic. Just a question.
Mambership has its pribble lidges.

WZ7U
02-27-2024, 03:40 AM
Well, I do wonder if something like that would increase traffic just from the curiosity effect. It can't hurt, right? I guess I'm just bent over the reason behind it and don't want to see the site hurt for it.

Other sites have advertising and I see where increasing traffic in that model would be beneficial to the sites bottom line. Does increased traffic harm us here or is it a net neutral sum game?

ad4mg
02-27-2024, 04:14 AM
I can't imagine any significant impact... they only have a dozen or so members. I'm guessing most of their exposure is at/from hamfests.

Well, I do wonder if something like that would increase traffic just from the curiosity effect. It can't hurt, right? I guess I'm just bent over the reason behind it and don't want to see the site hurt for it.

Other sites have advertising and I see where increasing traffic in that model would be beneficial to the sites bottom line. Does increased traffic harm us here or is it a net neutral sum game?

NQ6U
02-27-2024, 09:21 AM
By the way, Luke, I designed the radio dial logo years ago and still have all the original files if you ever need them.

W3WN
02-27-2024, 12:52 PM
You realize, of course, that if the Management or Ownership of this place raises a fuss with this... group... I'm going to hear about it. And probably blamed for the exposure, and all that jazz.

Spoiler alert: Don't let that stop you. Do what needs to be done. I can handle these copycats!

ad4mg
02-27-2024, 07:36 PM
Yes, I remember we held like a contest to create a logo for the site and you won! :-D

By the way, Luke, I designed the radio dial logo years ago and still have all the original files if you ever need them.