PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of New HT's...

W3WN
01-29-2024, 04:50 PM
...and not wanting to derail or redirect the other thread...

Anyone know anything about the Hytera (HYT) brand? Are they any good?

Reason I ask... I walked into the British Air supervisor's office this afternoon (routine, I try to touch base with most of the airline supervisors on site everyday) and the GM for the office... well, the contractor for PIT BA, actually, but I digress... was in the process of setting up a dozen new Hytera HT's he'd just bought to replace damaged/lost units.

He said that he got a good deal... approx $700 each. And these are analog HT's.

??? $700 for an HT that looks like a step or two above a Baofeng? Really?

WTH am I missing here?

N8YX
01-30-2024, 10:21 AM
I'll throw this question out to the area crew and see. They're always buying and trying new stuff.

KG4CGC
01-30-2024, 03:43 PM
...and not wanting to derail or redirect the other thread...

Anyone know anything about the Hytera (HYT) brand? Are they any good?

Reason I ask... I walked into the British Air supervisor's office this afternoon (routine, I try to touch base with most of the airline supervisors on site everyday) and the GM for the office... well, the contractor for PIT BA, actually, but I digress... was in the process of setting up a dozen new Hytera HT's he'd just bought to replace damaged/lost units.

He said that he got a good deal... approx $700 each. And these are analog HT's.

??? $700 for an HT that looks like a step or two above a Baofeng? Really?

WTH am I missing here?

Off the top of my head? The end user is trying to avoid a liability issue that could occur should "something" happen at the workplace/airport that could be traced back to the radios.

???

Are the radios warranted for workplace duty?

W3WN
01-30-2024, 07:23 PM
I don't know what the radios are rated for. Maybe what they're buying is a "commercial" model, I didn't get a look at the model ID. And it wouldn't be the first time that a 'commercial model' radio that's otherwise pretty much identical to a 'consumer grade' (ie Amateur or GMRS/FRS) is priced higher, just because.

Can't be a liability thing. Oh, I know what you're getting at, but they'd have that liability issue (if any) regardless of the HT in use.

K4PIH
01-30-2024, 08:08 PM
Ron, I have a HYT dual band mobile, so far it's giving good service. Not an HT but so far all good.

N8YX
01-31-2024, 10:40 AM
Ron, I have a HYT dual band mobile, so far it's giving good service. Not an HT but so far all good.

I've been looking at their quad-band units. One was a replacement for the FT-8900. Another covers 6/2/222/440. The latter is the one I'd want.

n6hcm
01-31-2024, 04:58 PM
hyteras are, as far as low-end radios are concerned, perfectly cromulent.