PDA

View Full Version : New HT on the way

NQ6U
01-20-2024, 02:18 PM
One of the perks of working for a company that sells Standard Horizon marine VHF radios is a thing called Pro Deals. I can buy any Vertex Standard product for 50% off the MSRP. That includes Yaesu amateur radio gear. So, when my old HT died the other day, I decided I wanted something better than my crappy Baofeng. I went whole hog and and ordered a FT-5DR.

It hasn’t arrived yet but I downloaded a copy of the manual and, to be perfectly honest, the thing is a little intimidating. I mean, I didn’t even use half the the features on the VX-2, which hardly had any. The FT-5 does just about everything but wash the dishes and make the bed. I think it’s gonna take a while to figure it all out.

N8YX
01-22-2024, 10:18 AM
I looked at their marine and aviation offerings once upon a time. They used the same accessories as my VX-6/VX-7R.

If I owned a boat and/or a plane I'd jump on them. Very well built.

n6hcm
01-22-2024, 06:43 PM
Honestly, I love my vx-7 ... I have an ft-2, and it's ok, but one of the knobs is busted, and Yaesu won't answer their email or phone, so I can get a replacement. After belonging to their FB group and having their sales droid piss me off with a shitty attitude, I'm unsure I'll buy Yaesu anytime soon.

KG4CGC
01-22-2024, 08:39 PM
There are people printing knobs now. Do you know anyone who's heavy into that?

NQ6U
01-23-2024, 04:32 PM
Heh heh heh, you guys said knobs.

n6hcm
01-27-2024, 10:02 PM
there's a 3d printer at the library a few blocks away but I don't really know. how to use it.

There's a guy in the repeater club who. is a 3d printing dude but his wife has been I'll lately (in and out of the hospital) so I've felt like asking about this now is probably not the best move. I found a few different files that could be printed...

NQ6U
01-28-2024, 09:27 PM
I’ve had the thing for a week now and have been able to get it on the local repeaters. Even got C4FM working, I think. Still wouldn’t claim to understand it, though, even after downloading like a TB of extra manuals that should have come in the box with it.

N8YX
01-29-2024, 09:59 AM
Henry,

There's a couple FT-2 knobs on the auction site as I type this.

Carl,

Let me know how it works out long-term. I might spring for something hand-held that can do digital modes. There's an IP base station setup which all the gang in the area is using, but I'd want something I can take along.

NQ6U
01-29-2024, 12:31 PM
Let me know how it works out long-term. I might spring for something hand-held that can do digital modes. There's an IP base station setup which all the gang in the area is using, but I'd want something I can take along.

Roger, wilco.

Will say that the radio gives the impression of being quite well-built and I love the large, easy to read color LCD display. Touch screen, no less.

n6hcm
01-31-2024, 05:06 PM
*knobs ... for sale ... advertising young knobs for sale!*

that's not a horrible option. mostly, I'm just disappointed that yaesu couldn't manage to come through. it was a pricy bit of kit when i bought it and it hasn't been treated roughly ...