PDA

View Full Version : 3 second boot

N8YX
09-05-2023, 08:57 AM
PC related:

Had a Shuttle SH170R6 chassis which was slated to be one of two primary shack VM hosts. One Win10, Win7/32 and XP guests running concurrently on each. These support various scanner and receiver control programs; none of which likes to run on anything later than Win7. The Win10 VMs will host copies of ProScan (for the Bearcat P.25-capable radios in the scanner lineup).

Since the chassis provides support for an NVMe 2280 drive, I decided to go that route for a boot device. The VM host drive is a 2TB SSD and the warm backup device will be a pair of Iron Wolf or similar datacenter-spec HDDs of 8-16TB capacity. An all-in-one reader with hot-pluggable SATA accommodates another 1TB SSD for use with timeshift or as a general/portable storage area.

CPU is an i7-7700K and RAM is maxed at 64GB.

For whatever reason, the Mint 21 "Vera" installer USB was corrupt on creation so I had to go the route of 20.2 -> 20.3 (upgrade) -> 21.1 (upgrade) -> 21.2 (upgrade). Serial I/O will be handled by a 4-port StarTech PCIe card with the onboard COM Port making up Port #5 - this for use with a KAM Plus. I also got ahold of a Hauppauge HVR-1800 and am going to put that in the other PCIe slot for multimedia usage via the host O/S. If it doesn't work there's another serial adapter or video card waiting to take its place...

The system boots to console, from which I can start the X session if desired. From end of BIOS splash to login prompt is 3 whole (count 'em) seconds. Quite a jump from my early professional days in the PC world, where a 386/16MB system running OS/2 Warp 4 took 5 minutes to boot and stabilize the desktop. It even makes the current shack system (i7-3770K w/32GB RAM) look like a dog, and this thing's no slouch either.

W3WN
09-05-2023, 07:08 PM
You mean, you DON’T miss days like... entering the computer lab, turning on 20 PS/2 workstations in the rotunda, entering three classrooms, turning on another 25 PC XTs in each, making sure the Netware 68 server was still on, getting that first cup of coffee, getting a sip or two... and THEN seeing the first rotunda workstation complete booting to a PC-DOS 3.3 Command Prompt?

Me neither.

NQ6U
09-06-2023, 10:27 AM
Feh, my Timex-Sinclair boots instantly under CP/M.

N8YX
09-06-2023, 11:04 AM
Feh, my Timex-Sinclair boots instantly under CP/M.

As do my Tandy 102/200s but I can't browse IoMH with them...