PDA

View Full Version : GE Appliances & "Acts of Nature"

W3WN
08-18-2023, 01:48 PM
Last December, end of the month, we had to replace the kitchen Over The Range (OTR) microwave after 5 years. It happens. Bought a GE microwave for a pretty penny.

Yesterday afternoon, power blipped off at the house. Electric company said that the interruption was caused by an accident, probably someone hitting a pole. No big deal, it happens. Power back on circa 6 PM. Everything but the 'new' microwave came back on.

Called GE. 1 year warranty, shouldn't be a problem, right?

Now they're saying it's not covered. Seems a power surge... there was no power surge and I never said that... is considered an "act of nature" and they don't cover it. $550 plus installation costs down the tubes.

...well, we'll see. As I was typing this, I was on the phone with the Home Depot Customer Care line... on hold, because THEY were on hold with GE Appliances. That's where they "explained" that the "power surge" wasn't covered. I clarified that I never said "power surge", that was said by the GE person on the phone when I called this in. I didn't pick up on it at the time, but now it's obvious that they were inserting the 'buzz word' to have an excuse to deny the warranty. I clarified that with HD CC, they told GE, we're now back on for warranty service.

I will have to have a word with the Boss. I have a feeling this won't be the last time we are told about a "surge." We shall see.

Surge my gluteus maximus.

PA5COR
08-18-2023, 02:47 PM
Defective stuff through power surges are covered here with warranty and if not by the electricity company or even my house insurance, against new price even if it is 10 years old....
Have to say we only had one major power out in 36 years, benefit of most electricity lines under ground..., even high voltage lines...
Hope it all turns out well though.

WZ7U
08-18-2023, 02:58 PM
Why bother warranting anything if the response to your customers is GFYS?

W3WN
08-18-2023, 06:33 PM
A reputable company honors their promises and doesn’t attempt to trick people with weasel wording.

GE Appliances used to be a reputable company. Well, as much as GE itself was.

Now? Strike 1. Let’s see if they make it right.

N1LAF
08-18-2023, 08:32 PM
Sounds like they may have a run of this appliance failing on power loss and power return, and maybe taking steps to stem the losses (by inserting the phrase 'power surge' in customer conversation). In my opinion, sounds like either a single event or a design flaw.

W3WN
08-19-2023, 09:45 AM
One thing’s for damn sure... the next OTR we buy will NOT be a GE.

I hear a lot of good things about LG. Guess they may have fixed their QA & “cheap” issues from their early days as Goldstar?

KG4CGC
08-19-2023, 10:47 AM
Check out refurb appliance stores. We have a couple around here. That's where the defective stuff that's been fixed is sold at a discount.
But you knew that.
We also have a Lowe's scratch and dent outlet. Friend bought a $2200 refrigerator for $800. It had a small dent on the side and a big one on the left door until he took a plunger type device to it.
I'm not saying you should buy dented appliances. College students however ...

NQ6U
08-19-2023, 11:14 AM
I hear a lot of good things about LG. Guess they may have fixed their QA & “cheap” issues from their early days as Goldstar?

They have. In fact, that’s why they changed their name.

WZ7U
08-19-2023, 02:40 PM
Well yeah, you stop making crap and Life's Good

K4PIH
08-21-2023, 07:31 AM
Ron,

Just replaced the magnetron in my GE over the oven microwave. For informational purposes, GE microwaves are built by either Samsung or Goldstar, later years say from 2018/19 made by LG.

They slap a GE label on them.

N8YX
08-21-2023, 09:15 AM
LG is GTG these days.

Many other things are not. I'm looking for the so-called "smart" appliances to adopt the "-as a service" model. You pay a monthly or per-run fee for the privilege of using something you bought.

I'd rather cook over an open wood fire if it comes to that, and one still can in my current surroundings if need be.

kb2crk
08-26-2023, 06:51 PM
Ron,

Just replaced the magnetron in my GE over the oven microwave. For informational purposes, GE microwaves are built by either Samsung or Goldstar, later years say from 2018/19 made by LG.

They slap a GE label on them.

Had to have 3 magnetrons replaced in the Samsung Microwave we used to have. Luckily it was under warranty all 3 times. Sold it right after the last repair and bought a whirlpool gold. that was 11 years ago and its still going strong.

K4PIH
08-28-2023, 06:51 AM
I have a Panasonic that just turned 37. Had to put a new motor to spin the platter maybe 15 years ago? Have it in my office at work and it's used by many every day. Fingers crossed it'll make 40!

n6hcm
09-02-2023, 08:53 PM
didn't ge license their name out a while back?i don't think they make consumer goods anymore...

W3WN
09-05-2023, 12:03 PM
GE (the conglomoration, or what's left of it) sold off GE Appliances. Separate owner now. Explains a lot.

So, we never heard from the 3rd party. I called Service back. And waited on hold. For almost an hour. That hold music I think is DESIGNED to drive you away... did try the "call back" option, but they called the house, not my cell phone, since I was at work. (The ~hour hold was the 2nd attempt)

Actually spoke, finally, to a very nice lady. Explained that we'd never been contacted. Turned out that the 3rd party had logged that they tried to call us, and tried to visit on the scheduled day, but the door was locked and no one was home. Nice try. The Boss is now semi-retired (she's working part time again, but wasn't that day) and was home all day, with the front door open and the screen door with the screen open. You couldn't miss that someone was in the room watching TV, waiting for them.

Grrrrr.

So long story short, we're rescheduled for the 8th. THIS time, though, it won't be a 3rd party, it will be GE Techs themselves. Allegedly worth the wait. We shall see.

Meanwhile, our 6 year old GE washing machine just developed an issue with the tub. Something is catching and grinding. Long out of warranty, of course... the Boss went with a Whirlpool, it's being delivered on Thursday morning. We explained why we were tired of GE (washing machine makes 3/3 failures in a row) to the sales lady, she mentioned that NOBODY makes them to last like they used to anymore... except Speed Queen, which are still made of "all steel" and should last 25 years -- and are priced accordingly (exceeded our budget, sadly). She recommended the extended warranty, for $200 for 5 years, on the grounds that if the motherboard goes (and they all have motherboards these days), the replacement cost is at least $350 plus labor. Fair enough.

We shall see.

W3WN
09-08-2023, 10:56 AM
Received an email this morning at 0804. GE Technician arrived at the house.

Received an email this morning at 0836. Service Receipt from GE Technician "Roxy 785". 1 Diode & Cable Assembly, 1 High Voltage Capacitor, and a "TCO+MGT" screw kit. No charge.

What do you know? Once I finally got the right people involved, they honored the warranty after all! I'd say "yay!" but that really shouldn't be something to be celebrated, it should be expected.

(I'm still not inclined to buy another GE Appliance in the near future.)

PA5COR
09-08-2023, 12:22 PM
Old whirlpool washing machine 19 years young heavy use no repairs done or needed, doesn't want to die.
Candy tumble dryer 12 years old just keep clean remove lint works like new.
Magnetron cheap Aldi own brand Medion, thing 20 years old still goes like new...
Samsung fridge/freezer large one 10 years old, only problem Led numbers in blue for temperature going on the blink.
LG 4 K Telly used 12 hours daily 4 years old as new, that one was a bit more expensive, 50 Inch model with all fancy stuff from 4 years back.
Oldest in the house? Heathkit SB 1000 30+ years one rebuild and new 3-500ZG tube...

W3WN
09-08-2023, 06:59 PM
Well, the Boss gave me an earful when I got home.

The GEA Tech was rude, Curt, and totally ignored her. He did fix the thing in a half hour... and left a box full of parts in a box in the kitchen when he left, just told her to throw it out. ( Box has a brand new magnetron in it. Hmmmm... ). He clearly resented being there. Nice.