PDA

View Full Version : 20% Annual Dues Increase... But Wait, There's More!

W3WN
07-24-2023, 06:41 AM
So I guess most of you have heard by now that the ARRL is imposing a 20% dues increase, from $49 to $59 per year, effective January 1st.

I can actually live with that, if that's all it was. Not pleasant, but it is the first increase in something like 22 years.

What I don't like is that there will ALSO be a $25 fee added for anyone who wants QST still printed and mailed to them. (And that's domestic -- word is that international mailings will be at least another $10)

This additional fee will be also be effective January 1st, and will ALSO apply to EXISTING members. So your current membership doesn't get "grandfathered" until it expires.

[ And yes, that includes current Life Members, although they apparently haven't figured out how or how much additional to charge existing LM's... and new LM applications are on "hold" until they figure this all out. ]

So if you still want the printed magazine, be it QST or one of the other options, this is effectively a 70% dues increase.

This is not sitting well with me.

Thoughts?

NQ6U
07-24-2023, 01:55 PM
The extra ten bucks a year is no big deal and probably long overdue. Since I’ve mostly been reading the digital version of QST anyhow (although I will miss the dead tree edition) that’s not a huge issue either. What bothers me is that they’ve unilaterally changed the terms of the membership agreement between the organization and the member within the agreement's term — I signed up fully expecting to get the print edition of QST for a year but now I’m not going to get that. I’m not sure that that isn’t tantamount to a breach of contract. If they’d changed the terms when it became time to re-up, that would have been different.

KG4CGC
07-24-2023, 07:40 PM
They're not what they used to be. Political infighting, not even good training for aspiring politicians.
Do they promote radio amateurs or do they promote their positions?
What is their record over the last 20 years? Do they go to bat against possible FCC actions or do they capitulate as long as certain office holders get something?
Those are my questions.

W3WN
07-25-2023, 07:44 PM
The extra ten bucks a year is no big deal and probably long overdue. Since I’ve mostly been reading the digital version of QST anyhow (although I will miss the dead tree edition) that’s not a huge issue either. What bothers me is that they’ve unilaterally changed the terms of the membership agreement between the organization and the member within the agreement's term — I signed up fully expecting to get the print edition of QST for a year but now I’m not going to get that. I’m not sure that that isn’t tantamount to a breach of contract. If they’d change the terms when it became time to re-up, that would have been different.
I'd betcha apples to oranges that by the end of the month, someone will have filed suit against the League alleging Breach of Contract.

K4PIH
07-26-2023, 06:33 AM
ARRL = Self-Licking Ice Cream Cone

NQ6U
07-29-2023, 12:45 PM
https://i.imgur.com/limqc0L.jpg

W3WN
07-30-2023, 05:44 PM
Apropos.

KG4CGC
07-30-2023, 07:52 PM
Have a raffle for people that buy ARRL merchandise. For each dollar you spend you get a chance to win a radio. Have a drawing once a month or every 2 months, whatever. Youtubers are giving away cars and motorcycles this way. It makes a lot of money.

But don't listen to me, just kick me out the window like the poor shlub in the illustration.

N8YX
07-31-2023, 10:34 AM
https://i.imgur.com/limqc0L.jpg

Forum seriously needs a "Like" button.

W3WN
08-01-2023, 09:04 PM
Well, I wrote a little editorial in the newsletter. (And ran the gist of it past N2RJ, to make sure I had my facts right)

I’d post the newsletter here if I could... is there a place to upload a 3MB pdf file? (I will email it to anyone interested, just get me an address)

n6hcm
08-02-2023, 12:13 AM
I don't think their track record with the FCC is that good.

The increase (by itself) isn't a problem for me. I do think there will be a change wrt QST (because people will make trouble about this). the increase plus the savings from not printing magazines should represent a huge revenue boost, and there hasn't really been any accounting for this.

I suppose this will all pay for personify...

W3WN
08-03-2023, 02:39 PM
Well,, here's what one Board member had to say.

I get the translation of the important gist of it as "you don't understand, so trust me, I know better."

He's up for re-election this year. I'm looking forward to see who runs against him... and NO, I am NOT going to run, I don't want that job!

----- Forwarded Message -----

From: ARRL Members Only Web site <memberlist@www.arrl.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 3, 2023 at 02:44:33 PM EDT
Subject: Happenings in Our Atlantic Division - The July 2023 ARRL Board Meeting

The second ARRL Board of Directors meeting, including standing committee meetings, was held for 3 days from July 20 through July 22, 2023 in the Hartford, CT area. I attended as your Atlantic Division representative.

I have received both email messages and phone calls inquiring about what was accomplished and what could members expect. No doubt most all of our League members are now aware of the increases to the dues structure as passed by the board. That has been the subject of much of the feedback I and others received almost immediately. I have a passion for answering mail and phone calls in my newly conferred position of Atlantic division director. But, many of you have sent messages to me I have not answered fully. So why the radio silence now, as one member asked of me.

The past July board meeting was contentious, and included spirited debate to put it in nice terms. I participated of course as your representative in Atlantic. Debate is not really unusual, but this last meeting had many motions passed, not just the dues increase. We on the board have been, well, directed to reserve comment on the meeting until the minutes are approved and published to the members. I do not agree with this approach, but it may be more useful to debate the decisions of the board when the minutes reporting the results are published, rather than expending energy on the procedural and confidentiality anomalies I am very concerned about. The minutes are typically released some two weeks or so after the close of the meetings. Perhaps they will be more delayed for this meeting. Let me know what you think when you read them. And yes, I understand that the minutes are only a brief summary of the results of what sometimes are long discussions.

As to the dues increase and related changes which ARRL headquarters published on July 23, you have those details sent out to you. I have received many comments, not so much about the ten extra dollars for annual dues, but the other related cost actions which seemed to surprise many of you. The votes of the board on all motions adapted will be detailed in the minutes. There were four divisions, including yours, that voted against the new dues structure. You have a right to know what happens and why. Read the minutes when published. Members need to subscribe to email delivery of the minutes which is available as a preference you can select from the ARRL website portal.

So, I will have much to say about the changes to the bylaws and other changes adapted. But I suggest we wait a few more days for the publication of the minutes to prevent the inevitable arguments about confidentiality requirements and what I am permitted to tell the members I represent. Those arguments would distract from the more serious issues I see. I prefer we focus the debate on the governance changes and direction of both our League’s management and the board. After all, it is your League. I think you ought to know.

To another matter, I have had success addressing some of our clubs using live Zoom video presentations in the past couple of months. If you have large format video projection capability at your live club meetings, or even if you do not, I can plan to address your club remotely which makes it much easier to plan a talk. Our Atlantic division is one of the largest geographically. But technology has closed that distance so let’s plan something with remote presentations if you like.

And lastly, live hamfests are still fun. I am planning to attend the Reading, PA hamfest this Saturday, August 5, so look me up if you are attending and have a question or just want to say hello. When possible, I will travel to other hamfests if I can schedule the trip. But in any event, I will see you on the radio.

Bob Famiglio, K3RF

610-369-7300

--------------------------------------------------------------------

ARRL Atlantic Division

Director: Robert B Famiglio, K3RF

k3rf@arrl.org

n6hcm
08-06-2023, 02:57 AM
yeah. I got that letter, too. I understand why they want directors to chill until the meeting minutes are produced, but it isn't clear how quickly this is supposed to happen.

I'm on the list to get the minutes but I've never considered how late they arrive (relative to the meeting date). hrm...

n6hcm
08-06-2023, 03:00 AM
I think that this may be more concerning: https://www.fcc.gov/document/spectrum-usage-noi

NQ6U
08-06-2023, 02:10 PM
I think that this may be more concerning: https://www.fcc.gov/document/spectrum-usage-noi

It’s hard to say for sure but I think that’s more aimed at commercial wireless spectrum use, as in mobile phones.

K4PIH
08-09-2023, 06:47 AM
Ron, I think you have mine, but again: jblewis0007@gmail.com

W3WN
08-09-2023, 06:13 PM
Ron, I think you have mine, but again: jblewis0007@gmail.com
On it's way