PDA

View Full Version : Just Pulled the Trigger…

NQ6U
06-05-2023, 09:26 PM
…on an IC-7300. The little digital QRP rig is cool but I want to get back into real ham radio. Now all I have to do is figure out how to put up a decent antenna on a 37' boat.

On Edit: This will be the first brand new HF rig I ever purchased. The only other radio I ever bought new was an IC-2200H 2 meter mobile rig.

Edited by ad4mg: Spelling in title corrected.

KG4CGC
06-06-2023, 03:03 AM
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

N8YX
06-06-2023, 01:56 PM
AT-180 or AH-4 working against a backstay wire.

A ton of my friends own that rig. At least one, multiples.

My eventual plan is to put one of those or its successor, along with an IC-9700 and an optioned-out R-8600 in my main shack and connect them to my LAN. The other end of the equation is a tablet PC and Jabra Bluetooth headset. Can hang out on the patio and play radio while visiting with whom or whatever stops by. Twice it's been horses. The other night it was a pair of fox kits.

NQ6U
06-06-2023, 02:35 PM
AT-180 or AH-4 working against a backstay wire.

That's a lot more complicated—not to mention expensive—than it seems because although I do already have an AH-4, using the backstay means I'd have to cut it and install two insulators and that requires a crane to hold up the mast during the process and that requires that my boat be hauled out of the water on a travel lift and that requires at least $1000. Besides, I'll be installing this on Ella's boat, which is a 37' trawler, which is a power boat, which means no backstay.

A ton of my friends own that rig. At least one, multiples.

I talked to two people who own them and they had nothing but praise for it. That, along with the reasonable price ($999 at GigaParts), is why I decided to go for that particular model.

KG4CGC
06-06-2023, 06:00 PM
102" whip and a proper loading coil and that set up (+AH-4) should tune up on any band 80-10.
160 isn't my forte. While I did once build a dipole that loaded up perfectly on it, height was an issue and it basically kept the worms warm.
Bay boiled mackerel anyone?

NQ6U
06-06-2023, 07:45 PM
102" whip and a proper loading coil and that set up (+AH-4) should tune up on any band 80-10.

I was figuring an ~35' end-fed random wire run up over the radar mast.

160 isn't my forte. While I did once build a dipole that loaded up perfectly on it, height was an issue and it basically kept the worms warm.
Bay boiled mackerel anyone?

Yeah, it's hard to get the recommended quarter wave over the ground on 160m. Erecting two 131' towers is a lot more than I'd want to deal with.

Once, on the advice of a long-time ham I knew, I made a 160m vertical out of a 4' section of that green fiberglass camo netting support tubing close wound with #22 magnet wire over the entire length. It wasn’t usable (SWR was way up there) until I added a capacitance cap made out of 1/4" copper tubing, then it sort of worked, but only for use on a local 160m net.

N8YX
06-07-2023, 10:25 AM
That's a lot more complicated—not to mention expensive—than it seems because although I do already have an AH-4, using the backstay means I'd have to cut it and install two insulators and that requires a crane to hold up the mast during the process and that requires that my boat be hauled out of the water on a travel lift and that requires at least $1000. Besides, I'll be installing this on Ella's boat, which is a 37' trawler, which is a power boat, which means no backstay.

Does her boat have a vertical mast? Yardarm w/ insulated wires (I'd use one on each side of the mast to lower the Q) or if the mast is metallic, look into a shunt feed arrangement.

NQ6U
06-07-2023, 02:51 PM
Does her boat have a vertical mast? Yardarm w/ insulated wires (I'd use one on each side of the mast to lower the Q) or if the mast is metallic, look into a shunt feed arrangement.

It does have a ~10 foot radar mast with a fiberglass dome on it, although it's up on the bridge deck which puts the top up at least 20 feet above the waterline. I've decided that I'm going to try running an end-fed wire from the Ah-4 over the top of the dome. Not the best of all possible solutions, but it should work. Here's a picture of it:

https://i.imgur.com/XvmXfSm.png

Just to clear things up: although the boat is in good mechanical shape and it is capable of going places, Ella prefers to think of it as her home and only moves it every few years when it's due for a maintenance haul-out. That's why I'm able to use the radar mast as an antenna support. When we want to have fun out on the water, we use my sailboat. Less disruption of our life and, with its sails and little 14hp diesel, it's almost free to operate.

N8YX
06-08-2023, 08:14 AM
Can you put one of these on the mast?

https://www.tarheelantennas.com/model_100a_hp

NQ6U
06-08-2023, 11:12 AM
Can you put one of these on the mast?

https://www.tarheelantennas.com/model_100a_hp

Not easily.

NQ6U
06-11-2023, 03:50 PM
Ella and I got coax, a counterpoise wire and some control cable for the AH-4 run today. Coax ended up being about a foot short, of course, but that's easy enough to fix. I’ve exceeded my Doctor-ordered Maximum Allowable Time On Foot (DMATOF) so now I've got it propped up and am having a beer. The the antenna itself will have to wait a couple of more days.

Funny thing: While we were routing the counterpoise, Ella discovered an unopened package of black fishnet stockings (with sequins) down in a hard-to-get to compartment where the bow thruster motor lives. And because I’d never expect you to believe such a thing without proof:

https://i.imgur.com/8RiHFk5.png

ad4mg
06-11-2023, 07:43 PM
Is that a Coors Banquet beer I see in the coolie?

I've always liked Coors Banquet beer.

NQ6U
06-12-2023, 10:44 AM
Is that a Coors Banquet beer I see in the coolie?

Yes, it is. Ella’s favorite — she’s a beer drinking woman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0GrmmlCJu4

N8YX
06-12-2023, 12:06 PM
Mine likes Miller Lite.

In terms of beer, I veer towards the way heavier stuff. Drinking around a campfire, though, I love Leinenkugel Orange Shandy (if it can be found).

NQ6U
06-12-2023, 03:56 PM
Mine likes Miller Lite.

In terms of beer, I veer towards the way heavier stuff. Drinking around a campfire, though, I love Leinenkugel Orange Shandy (if it can be found).

Yeah, I prefer something with a little more body myself, my current favorite being Lagunitas IPA. But I’m no beer snob — I'll drink a Budweiser if that’s what’s around.

NQ6U
06-14-2023, 10:16 AM
Ella and I put up a 41' end fed longwire antenna up yesterday. Still need to wire up the AH-4 and add a few refinements but I can see the non-ionizing radiation at the end of the tunnel now.

The main (aft) support is a 20' telescoping aluminum flagpole that I got at Harbor Freight for $50. I added stainless steel hose clamps at the base of each section since the reliability of the twist locks on these things is known to be, uh, less than ideal. The forward support is the hollow fiberglass handle of a fishing gaff with the nasty sharp steel hook cut off.

https://i.imgur.com/uq8lgo8.png

W3WN
06-14-2023, 06:20 PM
Mine likes Miller Lite.

I miss beer. And wine, and anything with alcohol.

NQ6U
06-18-2023, 06:39 PM
Just made my first QSO with the new station: PY5BH in Brazil on 15m FT8. AH-4 tuned my end-fed wire antenna in about two seconds flat, SWR 1.5:1. I can live with that.

WZ7U
06-18-2023, 07:25 PM
Put a mic or a key on it and tell me where to listen...

OK, not practical for me to keep pinging the thread, so I'll put this out there instead. I listen on 21.051 to do my rbn torture. I can try a call but I'm only good to 13wpm.

KG4CGC
06-19-2023, 06:11 AM
"only good to 13wpm."

There are others who are envious of your only, sir.

WZ7U
06-19-2023, 11:07 AM
Well now, true as that might be, it's only 13 on a good day.

I am being optimistic about my ability and should have said 8-10. I stumble quite a bit still.

Some day I will hear fast. I insist

NQ6U
06-19-2023, 12:02 PM
A screenshot of my PSK Reporter page from yesterday:

https://i.imgur.com/DQOPayB.png

KG4CGC
02-10-2024, 05:46 PM
I am approaching the time when I too will pull the trigger on a 7300. I will pair it with my old OCFD after I inspect and rework some of the wire.
Any recommended accessories?
Does it come with a cable to pair it with your computer?

I spend 99% of my time on amateur radio just listening. I will not be using using it on 10m. I have a dedicated 10m rig and a dedicated 10m dipole that covers the planet.

I am also a MW (AMBCB) DX'er. Just one of those things I've been doing since 2nd grade. Has anyone tuned in on MW with a 7300?

N8YX
02-10-2024, 06:47 PM
I am also a MW (AMBCB) DX'er. Just one of those things I've been doing since 2nd grade. Has anyone tuned in on MW with a 7300?

We have a large 10M group in the area.

95% of its members have a 7300; one has two. They occasionally show up with other rigs but it's a favorite. Next time I'm on frequency I'll pop the question and see the responses.

My current weapons of choice for MW are a Drake R-7, JRC NRD-515 or Mackay Marine 3031A. The FT-980 doesn't do bad there either.

KG4CGC
02-11-2024, 11:12 AM
My current weapons of choice for MW are a Drake R-7, JRC NRD-515 or Mackay Marine 3031A. The FT-980 doesn't do bad there either.

I was looking at a Kenwood 570D like I had back in the day. Did the jumper attenuator "mod" to open up reception for everything below 1.8 Mhz. I actually received 2 longwave broadcasts one night. One out of Germany and one out of Saudi Arabia. So, we're talking 20 years ago. The 7300 has a simple attenuator in the menu that is defaulted to on below 1.8Mhz and only requires a couple of touches on the touchscreen.

I was looking at some of this era of Kenwood radios on Ebay. Still selling for the same price I paid 20 years ago on the used market. The thing to consider is that it is now a 30 year old radio. Getting long in the tooth as we like to say. The new stuff is just amazing and for the price range of the 7300, the receive quality can't be beat.

As I was looking into getting more information on the 7300, one of the places I checked out is HRO. Yaesu is offering rigs in the price range we're talking about but I know zero about them ... even after reading all the sales hype. I had an FT-100 25 years ago. Amazing receive for a rig of any size and this was a compact mobile. Problem was the SWR mod that had to be done after you ran into the issue and while it helped, it was only a band-aid to a design flaw they should have fixed early on, not let the buyer/user be their beta testers.

I have heard the 7300 on the air. Clean, clear audio, not too sharp, not dulled out. Perfect range and tonal quality.

(Of note with regard to MW DX) I bought a Ray Jefferson DF 640 a number of years ago. It is made for use on your sea faring, small pleasure vessel, fishing boats, what have you as long as it is indoors in the bridge or cabin. It has the rotatable double ferrite bar antenna on top. One night while sitting in the front yard I picked up a low power, Vietnamese language station at 1600 or 1610 out of Texas. I don't speak Vietnamese but I listened for a good 40 minutes until I could come to this conclusion just by listening. Later I looked it up online. Pretty impressive for something without a longwire strung up in the trees!

NQ6U
02-11-2024, 03:49 PM
The 7300 does not come with a computer interface cable but all you need is a USB A-B printer cable. One caveat, though: cheap USB cables are poorly shielded. I had a lot of trouble at first until I purchased a Triplite cable (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MQ29B2?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder_k2_1_12&amp=&crid=2LUHSDB8NO7ES&sprefix=triplite%2Busb&th=1) with ferrite chokes at both ends. At a whopping twelve bucks on Amazon it was a little more expensive than most but it was worth it.

KG4CGC
02-11-2024, 08:10 PM
I guess the next question is, where is the best place to order from?

N8YX
02-12-2024, 09:58 AM
I have heard the 7300 on the air. Clean, clear audio, not too sharp, not dulled out. Perfect range and tonal quality.

One of the locals owns every high-end transceiver made in the last 20 years. Flex, Electraft, YaeComWood...name it.

He did an A/B comparo one night with an IC-7851 and the 7300; these used the same equalization settings and mic.

Vast majority in the group told him to keep the 7300 and lose the 7851.

NQ6U
02-12-2024, 01:09 PM
I guess the next question is, where is the best place to order from?

I got mine from Amazon. There’s a link in my previous post.

KG4CGC
02-12-2024, 03:21 PM
I got mine from Amazon. There’s a link in my previous post.

No sir. I mean the 7300. I see the link to the cable.

NQ6U
02-13-2024, 04:23 PM
No sir. I mean the 7300. I see the link to the cable.

Oh, sorry. I got mine from Gigaparts but the price is pretty much the same everywhere. Except HRO, of course. They were a few bucks higher.

KG4CGC
02-13-2024, 05:41 PM
Oh, sorry. I got mine from Gigaparts but the price is pretty much the same everywhere. Except HRO, of course. They were a few bucks higher.

That's what I see. I'm wondering about Gigaparts rep as a retailer etc. HRO and Amazon are selling for about the same price except HRO offers to remove a diode for $45.

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=71-002065

Diode disposal service: https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=71-002337

KG4CGC
02-13-2024, 05:48 PM
I could also drive down to HRO in Atlanta or stop by next time I'm in the area. Last time I was there it was literally half the size of a Radio Shack™ and I had to present ID to make a purchase.
The Amazon linkus: https://www.amazon.com/7300-02-Direct-Sampling-Shortwave/dp/B01C95F56M/ (https://www.amazon.com/7300-02-Direct-Sampling-Shortwave/dp/B01C95F56M/ref=sr_1_2?crid=27JC5QBENSGT9&keywords=ICOM+IC-7300&qid=1707864178&sprefix=icom+ic-7300%2Caps%2C368&sr=8-2&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.765d4786-5719-48b9-b588-eab9385652d5)

WZ7U
02-13-2024, 05:52 PM
ID to purchase? Huh.....
Selling guns at HRO now?
Was there a waiting period to pick up the radio?

NQ6U
02-13-2024, 06:07 PM
I would never buy anything like a ham radio transceiver from Amazon; they seem to have problems with fragile, big ticket items like that, plus there’s always the possibility of getting a used or counterfeit item from them. They’ve gotten really bad in that respect. You should see some of the crap people bring into the store that they bought on Amazon. My “favorite” was a fake Racor fuel filter/water separator. The hard plastic sediment bowl had become a more or less melted into a soft, rubbery thing from contact with gasoline. It almost certainly would have failed catastrophically before much longer and probably caused an engine room fire.

I’ve bought a few items from Gigaparts and it’s been fine — reasonable shipping cost, the 7300 came double boxed, maybe not the quickest order turn around out there but fast enough.

I probably would have paid HRO’s premium and bought it from our local store, except I couldn’t because they closed it last year. Closest HRO is now in Anaheim, about two and a half hours away.

KG4CGC
02-13-2024, 06:08 PM
ID to purchase? Huh.....
Selling guns at HRO now?

It was 1999. No waiting period. I don't have any jokes for it. It was like, back in time, even for back then.
Ah, they still had the brown wood paneling for the walls.

NQ6U
02-13-2024, 06:12 PM
ID to purchase? Huh.....
[…]

“When radios are outlawed only outlaws will have radios”

“You can take my radio when you pry it from my cold, dead hands”

KG4CGC
02-13-2024, 06:16 PM
I would never buy anything like a ham radio transceiver from Amazon; they seem to have problems with fragile, big ticket items like that, plus there’s always the possibility of getting a used or counterfeit item from them. They’ve gotten really bad in that respect. You should see some of the crap people bring into the store that they bought on Amazon. My “favorite” was a fake Racor fuel filter/water separator. The hard plastic sediment bowl had become a more or less melted into a soft, rubbery thing from contact with gasoline. It almost certainly would have failed catastrophically before much longer and probably caused an engine room fire.

I’ve bought a few items from Gigaparts and it’s been fine — reasonable shipping cost, the 7300 came double boxed, maybe not the quickest order turn around out there but fast enough.

I probably would have paid HRO’s premium and bought it from our local store, except I couldn’t because they closed it last year. Closest HRO is now in Anaheim, about two and a half hours away.

ATL is roughly 2.5 hours. I go to Atlanta all the time it seems. Often to the other side of it in Union City.

NQ6U
02-13-2024, 06:26 PM
ATL is roughly 2.5 hours. I go to Atlanta all the time it seems. Often to the other side of it in Union City.

I never go to Anaheim if can help it unless I have to pass through on my way to somewhere farther north. Although it’s become more purple than red over the last few years, I still tend to think of all of Orange County as enemy territory.

W3WN
02-13-2024, 09:14 PM
FWIW, I’ve been dealing with Gigaparts for over 20 years, never had an issue.

Although it was first as a computer vendor. Didn’t find out ie was owned by hams until I placed my first order over the phone and talked with one of them.

KG4CGC
02-14-2024, 08:32 PM
And as things would have it, I went right by the exit HRO is on by one exit but traffic was so bad I said, "some other time."
I also wanted to get back at a reasonable time and I'm not pulling the trigger until next week but wander around the store like an Olde Phart might have been neat.
Gigaparts if offering exactly the same deal and dates as HRO.

n6hcm
02-14-2024, 10:27 PM
I guess it's odd that I've never been in a bricks and mortar ham radio retailer.

KG4CGC
02-15-2024, 01:10 AM
I guess it's odd that I've never been in a bricks and mortar ham radio retailer.

I'm just lucky I live two and a half hours away from one.
When I was 13 I got to go into the Heathkit store in Miami. I was visiting my aunt/uncle and cousin. That was nifty keen.

WZ7U
02-15-2024, 02:35 AM
There's the one over yonder Portland way, they moved a few miles up the road a few years ago. Made it that much farther to go ;(

I haven't been in HRO for at least a decade, which is sad. I enjoyed twiddling the knobs and listening to the radio amateurs tell stories to one another. I wonder if it's still anything like that anymore?

N8YX
02-15-2024, 11:09 AM
When I was 13 I got to go into the Heathkit store in Miami. I was visiting my aunt/uncle and cousin. That was nifty keen.

In my stash of goodies is a demo SB-104. That is, one whose top cover has been cut away and a sheet of Plexiglass installed over the opening. Was meant to showcase the insides of a fully assembled transceiver.

Most of the boards were missing when it came to me, but I have enough spares of various cards that I could populate the insides and put the setup on display somewhere. As near as I can figure it came out of one of those stores. Who knows how many others - if any - are in existence.

NQ6U
02-15-2024, 11:57 AM
When I was in middle school, my friend Bill and I would ride our bicycles out to the original Ham Radio Outlet store in Burlingame, California. It was located in an old Southern Pacific freight shed adjacent to the Burlingame station. I bought my first piece of real ham gear there, a used Heathkit SB-300 receiver.

n6hcm
02-16-2024, 09:59 PM
see, that's the thing. I commuted right past the Burlingame location for the better part of two decades... but that was before I revisited radio.

NQ6U
02-17-2024, 03:24 PM
see, that's the thing. I commuted right past the Burlingame location for the better part of two decades... but that was before I revisited radio.

I just looked at Google Maps. The Burlingame station is still there but it looks like they tore the old freight shed down.

n6hcm
02-20-2024, 12:46 AM
oh, yeah. I haven't gone past Burlingame in the better part of a decade now (six plus years in new york, then nine years before at the VA in SF)

KG4CGC
02-21-2024, 06:10 PM
As things would have it, I was in Atlanta again and 3.2 miles from HRO.

I went in. Walked over to the long desk with all new radios and had a seat. Started tuning around on the 7300 and it wasn't connected to an antenna.
Nothing was connected to an antenna. There's an antenna on the roof. Two of them. A SteppIR and a vertical.
I went through the some of the basic functions on the 7300 like how to quickly move from band to band. Looked at a couple of menu functions and used the touchscreen. It's a nice radio. Well, it feels nice. Very smooth knobs and securely seated buttons. The touchscreen was beautifully responsive.
Spent about 10 minutes seated and no one said a word to me. I got up. Looked at the MFJ stuff hanging all over the walls. They're about twice as big as a Radio Shack now BTW. Looked at coax. Their LMR400 is about 2.50 a foot in prepared ready to use rolls at 100'. I looked at power supplies, microphones and some little nicnaks and paddy wacks.
No one approached me. No one talked to me. My work attire is usually basic slacks, a polo or golf shirt, a nice gray windbreaker, my signature hat and combat boots and today I had a fresh shave too. There were 3 guys at the counter and one in the back. The counter guys were on their computers. Don't know how important their computer work was or what they could have been doing on them.
I pulled up to the parking space right in front of the entrance in a brand new Volvo S60. Nothing.
So, there would be no trigger pulling at their brick and mortar location.
Gigaparts it is!

WZ7U
02-21-2024, 06:54 PM
1. No antenna available to sample between products despite having 2 on site in apparent state of readiness... dumb

2. No employee interaction to help in any of that... double down dumb

3. Whatever is on their computers must be what they get paid to do, because selling radio equipment doesn't seem too interesting to them.

It was nice they provided you a dry hump to help you get an idea of what you wanted, now giga parts gets the invoice. Sound retail strategy there. 4 guys, say 1000/day just to cover that, on lost sales? Ya know, I'm dumb but even I know that kind of burn is unsustainable.

W3WN
02-21-2024, 08:09 PM
Cue the Julia Roberts “Pretty Woman” meme.

”Big mistake! Huge!”

NQ6U
02-21-2024, 10:04 PM
I work in retail now. First thing I do when someone walks in the store — usually when they’re still only a few feet from the front door — is say “Hi, can I help you find something?”

WZ7U
02-22-2024, 12:05 AM
That's how successful retailers do it. Not sure where HRO Atlanta is having the disconnect.

I do remember the Portland store had an attitude with freshly minted techs before y2k. That made me think that maybe my buds on 11m were right that hams were a bunch of condescending jerks. I only made two major radio purchases with them in my 27 years so far, for just this reason. Like they can't be bothered to help a lowly customer. But it's not just HRO in my experience lately. All retailers seem to be having a real difficulty finding people to work for them that give an actual shit about what they're doing. This is new to me, like post covid. Did the germ destroy basic service attitude?

KG4CGC
02-22-2024, 12:26 AM
These guys were Boomers. My age or older. So, maybe you're right. The damn germ destroyed something.

WZ7U
02-22-2024, 12:56 AM
It got me, because I'm not going to deal well with people in the retail context like I could before.

My stupid fuse got burnt out all the way, and the patience I used to have, is, well, used to, ya know? It's clearly my problem, I'm not ready to retire but not ready to deal with idiots and ne'er-do-wells any more. I'm liable to get myself into trouble dealing with the general public these days.

WZ7U
02-22-2024, 07:19 PM
So, when does gigaparts deliver?

NQ6U
02-22-2024, 07:33 PM
But it's not just HRO in my experience lately. All retailers seem to be having a real difficulty finding people to work for them that give an actual shit about what they're doing

This has been a real problem where I work, and it ain’t just the youngsters. I wouldn’t really care all that much because it’s not like I bleed West Marine blue or anything but as the one guy in the store who cares about doing a good job just out of general principles, I’m always the one who gets stuck cleaning up after some lazy fuck leaves a job half done.

KG4CGC
02-25-2024, 06:42 PM
Now I'm viewing this ... https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-018101

WZ7U
02-25-2024, 06:55 PM
No good if they won't talk to you. ;)

KG4CGC
02-25-2024, 07:31 PM
No good if they won't talk to you. ;)

https://www.gigaparts.com/yaesu-ft-710-aess-hf-50mhz-100w-sdr-transceiver.html

NQ6U
02-25-2024, 08:54 PM
The FT-710 is a very good rig; the receiver is even better than the IC-7300. I settled on the latter because I'm not a contester, my limiting factor is my antenna and I liked the user interface better. YMMV.

On edit: Also, at the time I bought it the Icom was less expensive.

WZ7U
02-25-2024, 08:54 PM
Well damn. Less money than Mrs U paid for a new 706 2g back then.

I hope you get the rig at the new price

KG4CGC
02-26-2024, 12:59 AM
And it connects directly to a monitor.

[edit]: Something kept telling me to hold off. Maybe, this is the rig. I don't care about contesting. Biggest thing is receiver for this OF.
The direct connect to a monitor is a huge plus though :)

n6hcm
02-27-2024, 02:18 AM
I'm kinda surprised that monitor connections haven't become commonplace sooner... ("they don't support VGA!")

KG4CGC
02-27-2024, 07:52 AM
And you can plug a mouse right into it. I could literally lay in bed and control the rig.

WZ7U
02-27-2024, 05:22 PM
So, it's a computer that just happens to identify as a radio.

KG4CGC
02-27-2024, 06:32 PM
ESS
DEE
ARE

W3WN
02-27-2024, 06:33 PM
These days, when it comes to new rigs... don’t they all?

KG4CGC
02-28-2024, 03:28 PM
These days, when it comes to new rigs... don’t they all?

It's just nice to see SDR more and more in the mainstream of AR.

NQ6U
02-28-2024, 07:31 PM

Not that there’s anything wrong with that…

WZ7U
02-28-2024, 08:33 PM
True true

KG4CGC
03-01-2024, 08:51 PM
The Yaesu FT-710 ranks right up with the big rigs and outperforms (on receive) some pretty awesome and expensive pieces of kit.

http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

WZ7U
03-02-2024, 01:05 AM
The radios now are like comparing an ls swap to a big block. More power from a smaller package.

NQ6U
03-02-2024, 11:28 AM
The radios now are like comparing an ls swap to a big block. More power from a smaller package.

Yeah. A factory 16-valve DOHC 4-banger with fuel injection and a turbo is putting out as much HP as the normally aspirated small block Chevy V-8s we used to build back in the day. Still can’t compare in low-end torque, though.

KG4CGC
03-02-2024, 12:22 PM
Yeah. A factory 16-valve DOHC 4-banger with fuel injection and a turbo is putting out as much HP as the normally aspirated small block Chevy V-8s we used to build back in the day. Still can’t compare in low-end torque, though.

Years ago there was a compilation of drag cars coming off the line showing torque twisting not only the bodies but the frames. Some of those cars looked like they were about to flip themselves sideways and roll off the track although I have never actually witnessed that.
The classic wheelie flip was much more common.

[edit]: Want to get into some ridiculous numbers for a small motor straight from the factory? Ford Bronco. I drove one back from ATL with the manual transmission, 4 cylinder version, had torque for days!
Of course the new 2024's have updated a little.

https://brandonford.com/blog/what-are-the-2024-ford-bronco-engine-options-and-specs-phc

KG4CGC
03-12-2024, 02:10 PM
The Gigaparts site isn't working.
I place my order and it said I didn't complete the reCAPTCHA (rC) so it wasn't working. Bottom righthand corner there is an rC symbol partially covered up by a Google self promotion ad extolling the virtues of Google 5 star security.
I can't pull up the rC to click on it properly nor can I get anything to move forward.

I turned off my ad-blocker and reloaded the page. No change. That's where we stand.

KG4CGC
03-12-2024, 02:22 PM
Update: my Firefox browser wasn't good enough. Chrome worked and properly.

Received my confirmation email.

Now if you're wondering why I waited until now, two things.
1) I waited until the unit was in stock at GP.
2) I also waited until I was in a buying mood. It doesn't matter when it comes to luxury, hobby items etc, if I'm not in a buyer's mood, it ain't happening.
About 15 years ago my aunt told me that I should be a stand up comedian. I told her that I was too moody for that shit.

NQ6U
03-13-2024, 10:29 AM
Which radio did you decide on, Charles?

KG4CGC
03-13-2024, 10:31 AM
The Yaesu.

NQ6U
03-13-2024, 10:36 AM
The Yaesu.

Gesundheit.

KG4CGC
03-13-2024, 11:29 AM
I saw a lot of really nice 30 year old radios on ebay. But that's just it. They're 30 years old. I even saw a lot of 20 year old radios on ebay. Again, they're 20 years old. I mean, if they were selling for a couple of hundred bucks, that would be one thing but they're not.
Would I love a Yaesu FT-920? Yes, but it will need another however many hundred $ to do a full cap replacement and then alignment.

I am not of that frame of mind.

Why not buy a brand new radio? For the price of the Icom 7300 or the Yaesu 710 plus the performance of newer technology, the only reason for an old rig has to be nostalgia.

NQ6U
03-13-2024, 07:10 PM
I saw a lot of really nice 30 year old radios on ebay. But that's just it. They're 30 years old. I even saw a lot of 20 year old radios on ebay. Again, they're 20 years old. I mean, if they were selling for a couple of hundred bucks, that would be one thing but they're not.
Would I love a Yaesu FT-920? Yes, but it will need another however many hundred $ to do a full cap replacement and then alignment.

I am not of that frame of mind.

Why not buy a brand new radio? For the price of the Icom 7300 or the Yaesu 710 plus the performance of newer technology, the only reason for an old rig has to be nostalgia.

I agree with you completely, which is why I sprung for the 7300. With the rebate, it didn’t cost that much more than I paid for a used 746PRO about ten years ago and the receiver is worlds ahead.

KG4CGC
03-14-2024, 11:57 AM
Some things to know before connecting a new Yaesu FT-DX10 or 710 to a monitor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBhtdbI0eY4

K8PG
03-15-2024, 04:25 PM
To PRESUME IS the MOTHER OF ALL Fxxx Uxx,

ad4mg
03-15-2024, 05:27 PM
To PRESUME IS the MOTHER OF ALL Fxxx Uxx,

Please don't troll the technical forums. Thanks.

N8YX
03-16-2024, 08:37 AM
There's a good reason for buying vintage gear of certain time frames:

One can usually get parts. If the rig in question doesn't use a lot of custom/bespoke components, or if the aftermarket offers suitable replacements (e.g., Drake 7-line digital displays)...or if a model was so popular that the required spare can be sourced from the various eBay parts sellers and the like, you're probably okay to purchase.

I'm set up to do high-pin-density QFP and BGA rework, so performing brain surgery on a late-model SDR-based rig isn't that big of a challenge. If Icom won't sell me the parts, I'm SOL just like everyone else.

That said, I'm still going to get an IC-7300, IC-9700 and R-8600 at some point; these for remote control (for when I'm not physically in the main shack). I also realize that purchase may be considered disposable if Icom stops service support of them at a future point.

KG4CGC
03-16-2024, 10:05 AM
I did not mention that. Yes, there is that. Parts and restoration.

KG4CGC
03-18-2024, 10:51 AM
First notes on receive audio.
The Yaesu FT-710 AESS (Acoustic Enhanced Speaker System) is simply the best audio coming from a dedicated ham radio I have ever heard. I have in the past experimented with many speaker configurations with my Ten-Tec Corsair, Kenwood 570D, Ten-Tec Argonaut V and various receivers and it just literally blows everything away.

The external speaker is 2.5 by 3 inches in diameter and 12 inches long. It works in conjunction with the radio's built in speaker and can be adjusted so the user can decide how much sound comes out of each speaker as well as listener frequency range. You can go from beautiful full range audio to narrow voice range and balance how much audio each speaker gets. It makes the guys on SSB sound like AM broadcasters during a ragchew and contesters sound like they're sitting right there next to you speaking in a normal voice.

If you're a fan of good listening audio then I think the FT-710 AESS is something you will want to add to your list when shopping for a rig in this class.

Next up: Getting the OCFD back up in the air and doing a real receiver signal test. Right now I'm using one of the 10m dipoles I have up and so far receiver performance is above par across the bands. Thus far, it beats both the Ten-Tecs on the same antenna. I no longer have the 570D but I think it would have come in 2nd place but that's based on old memory.

KG4CGC
04-27-2024, 11:55 AM
Last week I rebuilt the OCFD. My old 100 watt balun was not in the greatest shape. I did my best to tighten everything down inside the balun but it was a bit iffy. It is the kind that is built into a PVC pipe and PVC ends. I don't know what caused the mechanical issue other than strain relief may have failed the first time I had it up. I am expecting a new, aluminum cased, 1000 watt 4:1 current balun today.
My current SWR on the ham bands rests around 2.5 to 3.3. Not good even though the 710 comes with a state of the art high speed auto tuner.

However, that didn't stop me from testing it on receive and needless to say I was impressed. The low noise floor really helps bring out signals. I compared it on receive with the ArgoV and the Radio Shack DX-394 (my nostalgia radio) and even though the ArgoV has great receive and audio, the 710 pretty much blew it out of the park. The DX-394, not a great rig if one were to be totally honest, benefited greatly from a modern wide band preamp in line with the coax. On a small antenna, 30' and the preamp in line, it really woke it up. On the OCFD there were times when I would turn the preamp off or turn down the receive gain to about 20%.

Other testing included trying the OCFD on the dedicated 10 meter set up. I was able to load up the antenna using an MFJ tuner and get an SWR reading of 1.25. Receive-wise I had to run a preamp to hear like I normally do on the dedicated 10 meter dipoles. I tried about 50 watts through it and no more. Peak reading meter showed an excess of 120 watts USB on 28.406 (a local ragchew frequency) PEP and while I was able to make contacts I shut everything down because even at the lowest setting (about 18 watts) I was still getting up to 90 watts PEP on USB. I don't know if that's good or bad.

I will install the new balun tomorrow and do all the tests over. If the SWR is still high on the ham bands I will take the next step and adjust wire lengths. If that fails I will go to the local Tractor Supply and get a quarter mile roll of steel electric fence wire. Yep, that's the smallest roll they have and it's really cheap! A tiny fraction of the cost of a roll of 12 gauge copper wire from the hardware store. The only drawback is dealing with uninsulated steel wire where it passes over black walnut tree branches. This tree is about 100' tall, has 3 trunks and a lot of top branches to use as support. Based on my lot logistics a good bit of the antenna has to go through branches. About half the antenna has to go through branches.

I use a 9 foot heavy duty fishing rod with 65 lb braid to get the initial small rope up in the tree, then attach that to the heavier main rope (UV Dacron about double the diameter of 550 paracord). The weight on the end of the 65 lb braid is 4.5 ounces attached to 2 heavy duty steel leaders in parallel. Ask me why I use 2 like that. My aim is pretty good but some days it take a couple of tries! If you don't get your target then remove the weight before reeling your line back in. Pro tip: Wrap your weight in bright orange or yellow tape. When the neighbors ask, I just tell them I'm squirrel fishing! :lol: