PDA

View Full Version : How often do you replace RG-213 coax?

K2GSP
02-21-2023, 08:06 PM
I have a Hexbeam up and I feed it with RG-213. It's been up for ten years. It doesn't seem to have the punch it used to have and SWR has been climbing. My thinking is the coax is breaking down or it's gotten wet inside from the years of Florida rain. I have it lowered and I'm going to take it down and give it a go over. Should I change the coax too?

KG4CGC
02-21-2023, 08:47 PM
Check your PL-259's. Weak point. Lets in weather.
Coax is rarely an issue unless you overheat it with power. Wet spots near the ends will result in heat.

PA5COR
02-22-2023, 02:21 AM
Wet counttry here as well, i always use selfamalgamating tape to water tight all connections, even N connectors outside...

K2GSP
02-22-2023, 04:13 AM
Thank You gentlemen.

NQ6U
02-22-2023, 09:46 AM
Check your PL-259's. Weak point. Lets in weather.
Coax is rarely an issue unless you overheat it with power. Wet spots near the ends will result in heat.

I switched to using N-type connectors for this very reason.

KG4CGC
02-22-2023, 10:26 AM
I switched to using N-type connectors for this very reason.

After connecting antenna and coax, I spray liquid rubber on the area or more recently, Flex Seal.
I have used the self adhering silicone tape. Spray on stuff is better. Covers the whole connector and bottom of antenna where the SO-239 is.
And yes I agree that N connectors are better.

K4PIH
02-24-2023, 10:27 AM
Since you have the antenna down, just replace the COAX. I have a remote radio in Florida and the sun, heat, rain, the general climate, I replace the coax every 2 years. Before I got hold of the radio, a previous individual had put 213 on it and 5 years later the SWR was sky high. Had to make a trip to the site and when I touched the COAX the jacket literally crumbled in my hands. In spots the jacket had completely eroded and the braid was exposed. I'd say your10 year old COAX is at least 5-6 years past its prime.

KG4CGC
02-24-2023, 11:23 AM
Since you have the antenna down, just replace the COAX. I have a remote radio in Florida and the sun, heat, rain, the general climate, I replace the coax every 2 years. Before I got hold of the radio, a previous individual had put 213 on it and 5 years later the SWR was sky high. Had to make a trip to the site and when I touched the COAX the jacket literally crumbled in my hands. In spots the jacket had completely eroded and the braid was exposed. I'd say your10 year old COAX is at least 5-6 years past its prime.

This is a good point. See if your coax has a UV rating.