PDA

View Full Version : What option would you exercise?

koØm
12-18-2022, 05:35 PM
In a a new-to-me house that was formally wired for satellite dishes; I have one room in the basement that might be capable of housing a radio setup.

At one time, there was a Satellite hook-up but the 75 ohm coax has been cut at the feed point of the antenna on the roof.

Would you pull the old coax out and replace it with RG-313 or RG8X and go with a vertical multiband?

How's about ladder line out to a random length dipole type antenna?

Use the center lead of the 75 ohm coax to connect to a single long wire antenna?

Back yard is only fenced on three sides, open side being the driveway.

WWYD?

WZ7U
12-18-2022, 06:32 PM
I'm not afraid of 75 ohm coax at my power levels, in fact I've been on it for 5 years now.

What do you have on hand? If I had to buy, I can't think what I would want... I have 213 and 9913 sections I can go to but I've been on the flooded rg6 stuff and can't see a reason to change. 1.5-1 is OK with me. I would probably go with rg8x for ease of pull, mainly because I don't have any over patch cord length.

N8YX
12-19-2022, 07:55 AM
Snake some RG-8X up to it and install a vertical. The type is going to be determined by the sturdiness of the bracket and how much space you have available for radials.

K4PIH
12-19-2022, 08:21 AM
Ditto on the RG8X

W3WN
12-19-2022, 10:22 PM
Snake some RG-8X up to it and install a vertical. The type is going to be determined by the sturdiness of the bracket and how much space you have available for radials.
Agreed!

NQ6U
12-21-2022, 11:32 AM
Having some experience with running coax both for CATV and, the the pre-cable TV days, MDU distributed networks with one or more antennas and what amounts to a sort of mini-headend stuck in a closet somewhere, I’d say that unless the RG59 coax is run though a conduit you’ll be unlikely to be able to use it to pull a new coax because it’s almost always fastened somewhere where you can’t get to it. But, who knows, it’s worth a try. If it doesn’t work, Eric is right about using 75Ω coax. The impedance mismatch is tolerable unless you’re running high power levels.