PDA

View Full Version : New antenna on the way

kb2crk
11-23-2022, 06:47 PM
Well I finally broke down and brought a new antenna. My old wire was down and mowed over. I just ordered a 5BTV that I plan on mounting on the chain link fence. I am temporarily unable to get on the roof due to a knee issue that requires some work so a ground mount will have to do. Some new coax to go along with it. Time to clear the desk in the shack and get ready.

kb2crk
12-11-2022, 11:01 AM
Well the Antenna is here and waiting to go up. Hopefully it will like the fence mount but busy right n with Christmas things. I am hoping this thing works well once I get it in place.

KG4CGC
12-11-2022, 02:53 PM
What guided you towards the 5BTV?

kb2crk
12-12-2022, 06:36 PM
A ground mount vertical with good reviews helped. $200 in gift cards from a workplace wellness program participation and a $50 coupon with some cash back on capital one shopping put the 5BTV in my price range. I think after the gift cards and coupon the antenna came in under $50 out of pocket. After my knee gets fixed I may get a new wire or two up but until then I will try this. Now to find the time to get it mounted.

N8YX
12-12-2022, 10:31 PM
Do yourself a favor: Get the 30M trap (off eBay if you can), convert the thing to a 6BTV and lose both the 40 and 20M spiders.

You'll thank me later.

kb2crk
12-13-2022, 06:10 PM
Do yourself a favor: Get the 30M trap (off eBay if you can), convert the thing to a 6BTV and lose both the 40 and 20M spiders.

You'll thank me later.

Is there an issue with the spiders? I have always used wires of different layouts and my vertical experience is limited to hamstcicks. I have never used 30 meters so was not really worried about it when I got the 5BTV. now for an interesting question, will a couple hundred hundred feet of chain link fence be enough of a ground plane for it? I can always add radials but was hoping to go without until I got a few dying pines removed.

WZ7U
12-13-2022, 06:32 PM
Elevated radials will let you get away with four. The fence will work IMO, but I wonder how it will skew the pattern. Ground mounted takes the most radials.

Can you mount the btv 10' up on a fence post and string just 4 radials?

kb2crk
12-13-2022, 06:43 PM
Elevated radials will let you get away with four. The fence will work IMO, but I wonder how it will skew the pattern. Ground mounted takes the most radials.

Can you mount the btv 10' up on a fence post and string just 4 radials?

I was looking at the top of a 4' fence post for the initial mount. After I get rid of a couple of the dying pines I may move and raise it some but still on the fence

WZ7U
12-13-2022, 11:37 PM
Any way you can pivot a 10' section of mast up against a stout fence post with the antenna attached?

Maybe plant a.4x4.into concrete and attach a pivot of sorts to it

kb2crk
12-14-2022, 06:41 AM
Any way you can pivot a 10' section of mast up against a stout fence post with the antenna attached?

Maybe plant a.4x4.into concrete and attach a pivot of sorts to it

Probably in the future but not right now. I am still trying to convince the better half we need a tower....

N8YX
12-15-2022, 11:40 AM
The main issue with the spiders is dynamic physical force loading.

I've had both versions (5 and 6) in the air at my old QTH. The 6BTV is more survivable in harsh weather conditions - high winds and/or ice accumulation.

NQ6U
12-15-2022, 07:51 PM
I wonder if radial wires would be required over my perfect saltwater ground plane.

N8YX
12-16-2022, 08:30 AM
I wonder if radial wires would be required over my perfect saltwater ground plane.
If near dockside, drive a 12ft corrosion-resistant metal pole into the seabed and mount the antenna a foot or two above the dock boards.

I'd counsel polishing the entire antenna with Collinite Metal Wax or similar on a yearly basis.

There are a bunch of people who use those antennas on freshwater bodies, mounted the same way (w/ no radials). They work well.

NQ6U
12-16-2022, 11:30 AM
If near dockside, drive a 12ft corrosion-resistant metal pole into the seabed and mount the antenna a foot or two above the dock boards.

Alas, the dockmaster here would probably have a coronary if I did that. Also, there is the issue of tidal swing, which can be more than 8' between high and low tides here. A pole that places the antenna just above the surface at an average high tide might put the antenna ten feet above the surface or mostly under water during an extreme king tide event.

There are a bunch of people who use those antennas on freshwater bodies, mounted the same way (w/ no radials). They work well.

I thought that it might be doable — you can't beat salt water for a ground plane. I’d have to come up with some other mounting arrangement, though.

KG4CGC
12-16-2022, 12:45 PM
Keel GP?

kb2crk
12-16-2022, 04:47 PM
The main issue with the spiders is dynamic physical force loading.

I've had both versions (5 and 6) in the air at my old QTH. The 6BTV is more survivable in harsh weather conditions - high winds and/or ice accumulation.

Thanks for the information. I will definitely look into that. Ice is rarely an issue although the wind sometimes can be.

N8YX
12-16-2022, 07:03 PM
I thought that it might be doable — you can't beat salt water for a ground plane. I’d have to come up with some other mounting arrangement, though.

Moored bouy, like Charles hinted at? If I had the permission of the dock owner (or owned the dock) I'd set it atop the highest piling which doesn't get covered by water at high tide then run a couple big straps of corrosion-resistant metal to an anode plate made of same, resting on the sea bed.

NQ6U
12-21-2022, 09:37 PM
Speaking of king tides, we’ve got one coming on Friday. A 9.8 foot (2.98m) swing between high and low tides.

NQ6U
12-23-2022, 11:52 AM
Just to give you an idea of what a king tide swing is like. This is the same ramp at high tide this morning and at low tide a while back.

https://i.imgur.com/BP4qijv.png

https://i.imgur.com/uLCXKkX.png

KG4CGC
12-23-2022, 12:11 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I can see Mexico from the first pic. If I didn't know it was Mexico, I'd think it was Africa, out on the Namibian Range. I can almost see the lions, swatting flies with their tails in the shade, waiting on the cover of darkness to seek out their prey.

NQ6U
12-23-2022, 12:20 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I can see Mexico from the first pic.

You are not mistaken. It’s pretty hazy today but those hills you can just make out in the background are in Mexico, about 6 miles (9.6 km) away.