PDA

View Full Version : “Ghost Runners”

NQ6U
03-23-2022, 10:06 AM
MLB is doing it again this season. For those of you who know what that is, what’s your opinion?

Personally, while I’m pretty much a baseball traditionalist (the DH and inter-league play are both abominations IMHO), I have to admit that I don’t enjoy 15-inning games either.

KG4CGC
03-23-2022, 09:21 PM
Back in the day we'd go to the 2a games for the cheap beer and the tomfoolery heckling of the visiting teams. Buddy of mine had a way of really getting to the pitchers. When the pitcher looked up from the mound and stared at my friend, boom! He was done. Couldn't pitch for shit anymore.

15 innings? Sheeyut! By the 7th inning stretch we were like, NOPE! No more beer for me!

W3WN
03-24-2022, 03:30 PM
MLB is doing it again this season. For those of you who know what that is, what’s your opinion?

Personally, while I’m pretty much a baseball traditionalist (the DH and inter-league play are both abominations IMHO), I have to admit that I don’t enjoy 15-inning games either.
Ban the DH. That is an abomination, and is not real baseball.

Ban the Ghost runner. That is an abomination, and is not real baseball.

ad4mg
03-24-2022, 08:44 PM
Not a fan of the DH... never have been, but that "ghost runner" shit is just plain stupid. Without long, extra inning games (15+ innings), the shortstop will never get to pitch! That's part of the game... run out of pitchers and ya gotta use what ya got left on the bench!

WØTKX
03-25-2022, 07:03 PM
My cousins and I got flipped of by Rollie Fingers when he ran after a pop fly on the third base line.

We were screaming DROP IT, DROP IT! A hilarious memory. My grandpa was really pissed. :-D

W3WN
03-26-2022, 11:08 AM
My cousins and I got flipped of by Rollie Fingers when he ran after a pop fly on the third base line.

We were screaming DROP IT, DROP IT! A hilarious memory. My grandpa was really pissed. :-D
After Barry Bonds abandoned the Pirates, my son and a few of his friends would sit in the outfield (when the Giants were in town) and harangue Bonds. When they got under his skin, of course, they cheered and celebrated.

One night, we’re catching the game highlights on the news, and there’s BB missing a fly ball, dropped right in front of him... and there in the background is Bud and his buddies, jumping and cheering and laughing at BB. Who turned around, on camera, and pointed at them. Called the a-holes and worse. They took it as a compliment!

Almost as good as watching the sold-out crowd rattling Johnny Cueto in the playoffs, to the point he dropped the ball, causing a balk call, followed up by him serving up a 2 run homer. Almost.