PDA

View Full Version : Silly

koØm
02-06-2022, 07:49 PM
I just saw a video of an Analog an S-Meter the; the nostalgia almost brought me to tears.

WZ7U
02-07-2022, 01:17 AM
I still have a few of those radios that have analog S-meters. The mono-banded variety. I'm going to set up a dedicated 11m spot in the new shack, that's how bad I have the nostalgia. I think I've had more fun pound for pound on 11 than any other hand except perhaps 15.

kb2vxa
02-07-2022, 11:43 AM
First I cut my teeth on a metal 6SK7, glass tubes don't taste good, then I strung a wire in the trees I was climbing and became an SWL. Listening wasn't satisfying, I wanted to TALK into the ether. Ether, not air, I was a student of Tesla by way of the Rahway library, and ironically Nikola had a lab only 2 blocks from the library, and I took to high voltage like a fish to water. Soon 11M Chicken Band became a learning experience, studying radio theory, building and experimenting prepared me and several friends to take a step up to Amateur Radio, the rest is as they say... history.

From K2PG in West Creek, NJ I worked the world on 20 making friends everywhere, 15 is a good DX band when the sun has freckles. 10 is a dual band, DX and local 10M CBer groups, one guy being a longtime friend from the 11M daze. 6 was my favorite, it's not called the magic band for nothing, and I worked every propagation mode except EME, pure magic. Speaking of EME, you know that brute force is needed because a pock marked sphere doesn't make a good reflector. I may miss being radio active but I don't cry in my beer because I don't have beer to cry in. Digital modes moved me into another satisfying hobby, computing, and here I am for better or worse.