PDA

View Full Version : Some lighthouses on the outer banks

kb2crk
10-18-2021, 04:44 PM
A fun but rainy trip to the outer banks of NC and of course I had to take pictures of all kinds of things. here are some lighthouses.

KG4CGC
10-18-2021, 10:40 PM
:clap:

WZ7U
10-19-2021, 01:03 AM
All phallic innuendo aside, light houses are cool. We have a few out here on frontier too. But, you don't have one of these -

(https://astoriacolumn.org/)Affectionately known as the Astorboner, er, the Astor Column, it has quite an interesting story. Here (https://astoriacolumn.org/)

kb2vxa
10-19-2021, 10:08 AM
While on the subject of lighthouses, have any of you had the pleasure of operating from one on Lighthouse Day? When I lived in West Creek as a member of Old Barney ARC I had the great pleasure of operating the 40M station from our namesake, Barnegat Light affectionately known as Old Barney. We operated from the gazebo using AC mains power from a shed at the base of the light, the 40M dipole was only 10ft up on a couple of poles in the sand, the perfect daytime NVIS antenna. We separated families for the day as kids clamored to watch, set up on a table with benches the kids were eager to operate under my supervision and thrilled at talking on a RADIO instead of just listening to one. Naturally I HAD to be the promo man, maybe, just maybe one or more followed through and Amateur Radio has some new blood. Of course I steered them away from starting with an HT that is receive only unless it's in the shadow of a repeater, and away from repeaters because they quickly get bored and that ends that.

While not a lighthouse, it is a light buoy, a novel approach would be take a radio ship out and activate Null Island at 0-0 on Lighthouse Day. I would LOVE for a club to take it all the way with QSL cards from "The Middle of Nowhere" quite literally.

kb2crk
10-19-2021, 04:29 PM
Odd, it looks like the gale force winds laid the lighthouses all over.... They all were the right way up on the computer before sharing them.