10-16-2021, 12:20 AM

WZ7U
10-16-2021, 01:35 AM
Far out brother!

KG4CGC
10-16-2021, 10:44 PM

n6hcm
10-18-2021, 01:37 AM
Does that last one actually go anywhere?

WZ7U
10-18-2021, 04:40 AM
I bet it does, as the "patina" is a current trend in restoring things vehicular.

Motorcycles make a great subject.

kb2vxa
10-18-2021, 08:20 AM
Dayum, I haven't seen a Beesa in ages! The old Rahway NJ PD bikes were Harleys, then they were sold to the Pagans and were ever so nicely chopped. Mouse got the Meter Patrol trike, the box made a nice travel trunk, and couldn't tip over, the little guy couldn't right a 1500cc Electraglide by himself. How I got befriended by them is a story too long for here, but it was a sad day in Mudville when they went One Toke Over The Line and got run out of town by the very PD that sold them the bikes. Anyone who's seen that corny Adam 12 ripoff CHiPs knows the CHP rode (and maybe still does ride) Cows... Kawasaki bikes with Motorola low band radios. KMA365 is the real and forever callsign of the LAPD. That being said, let's see what you Charles can do with this CHiP chop.

Then there are the classics, rather expensive collector's items owned by my friend Jack WA2V (SK) I was proud to be seen in. The one that rattled my teeth was the Robin's Egg Blue 1963 Corvette split window coupe with a removable hard top. Under the hood was a 350 high compression mill coupled with a Hurst 4 speed transmission, the fabled LT-10 package. I rather hated the teeth rattling stiff suspension, and the one embarrassment, the main electrical connection to the engine using a big Molex connector that vibrated apart and killed the whole electrical system and the engine with it. Funny it was the only car I'd seen that didn't have a hard wired harness. Saving the best for last, the other classic was a Lime Green old school 1963 Harley Sportster semi chopped with a not too raked Springer (not Jerry Springer) fork. It had an interesting no mufflers mufflers, tuned pipes that sounded great, not loud but great. Sisters often don't know the value of things, I can only hope they're restored and well taken care of like Neil Young's first car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRSyW-qs2mc

KG4CGC
10-31-2021, 01:46 PM
I'm not going to do anything with the CHiP chop. It's not even my image to do anything to.

kb2vxa
11-01-2021, 06:28 AM
But you plastered stickers on the windscreen of a police bike...............

N8YX
11-01-2021, 08:59 AM
I have the radio box, rear crash guards, fender support, seat and master cylinder switches from one of these (former DPS 2nd-gen Concours 14):

A few companies made police-motor stuff for the Concours 14 before a big brouhaha with Kawasaki over the auxiliary battery setup (which powered the lights, radio and siren) effectively squashed their OEM C14P program. I have a wiring harness from one of the bikes (with original Kawi P/N) that they refuse to acknowledge as even existing - yet you can still order the thing from parts distributors.

The OEM accessory configuration would result in the bike's 30A main fuse blowing if the auxiliary battery was allowed to discharge to a point where its charging draw plus the normal ("hotel") loading of the bike's electrical system exceeded the rated fuse current. This was easy to do if the engine was shut off during an extended stop and the lights, radio and other police-specific accessories were kept on. For this reason, Kawasaki shelved the program.

I believe I've solved the two-battery problem. My conversion project will be to put all the LE-specific stuff (including red running lights, red auxiliary brake lights and yellow auxiliary turn signals) back on the trunk, with a switch up front to control the running lights (which are steady-burn). An IC-703+, FTM-10R and a diplexer go in the trunk. Headset audio integration is handled by a MotoChello MC-200 and a Sena SR10 (for Bluetooth). The two radios are 10w and 20w out (respectively) and will be powered by the auxiliary battery - which charges via the main circuit via a smart relay. A fuse inline with the charge line will open at 10A and this should protect the main fuse, though I doubt in normal use the auxiliary battery (a 12v, 16A lithium unit) will ever become discharged to the point it's a concern. I also plan to carry a charger for the auxiliary battery if going portable and operating HF from a camp ground.

Pics of the setup as I build it. Lots of custom cabling to be constructed and tested - that's where I am at the moment, with much of the bodywork removed from the bike.

KG4CGC
11-01-2021, 12:25 PM
Warren. If you have concerns about stickers on the windshield then talk to the owner of the bike.
This post was edited. It was edited BECAUSE FUCK!
I'm posting this shot from a different angle of the windshield.

KG4CGC
11-01-2021, 12:50 PM
I have the radio box, rear crash guards, fender support, seat and master cylinder switches from one of these (former DPS 2nd-gen Concours 14):

A few companies made police-motor stuff for the Concours 14 before a big brouhaha with Kawasaki over the auxiliary battery setup (which powered the lights, radio and siren) effectively squashed their OEM C14P program. I have a wiring harness from one of the bikes (with original Kawi P/N) that they refuse to acknowledge as even existing - yet you can still order the thing from parts distributors.

The OEM accessory configuration would result in the bike's 30A main fuse blowing if the auxiliary battery was allowed to discharge to a point where its charging draw plus the normal ("hotel") loading of the bike's electrical system exceeded the rated fuse current. This was easy to do if the engine was shut off during an extended stop and the lights, radio and other police-specific accessories were kept on. For this reason, Kawasaki shelved the program.

I believe I've solved the two-battery problem. My conversion project will be to put all the LE-specific stuff (including red running lights, red auxiliary brake lights and yellow auxiliary turn signals) back on the trunk, with a switch up front to control the running lights (which are steady-burn). An IC-703+, FTM-10R and a diplexer go in the trunk. Headset audio integration is handled by a MotoChello MC-200 and a Sena SR10 (for Bluetooth). The two radios are 10w and 20w out (respectively) and will be powered by the auxiliary battery - which charges via the main circuit via a smart relay. A fuse inline with the charge line will open at 10A and this should protect the main fuse, though I doubt in normal use the auxiliary battery (a 12v, 16A lithium unit) will ever become discharged to the point it's a concern. I also plan to carry a charger for the auxiliary battery if going portable and operating HF from a camp ground.

Pics of the setup as I build it. Lots of custom cabling to be constructed and tested - that's where I am at the moment, with much of the bodywork removed from the bike.
Those 1400 Connies are some very nice bikes. I literally never hear a bad thing about them except from short people. That's me. I'm a short people but I have nothing bad to say about them except I wish I could ride one of those beasts confidently. Rolling wouldn't be the problem.

N8YX
11-01-2021, 02:15 PM
But you plastered stickers on the windscreen of a police bike...............

The late husband of a ham buddy of mine - I met both of them through packet radio many years ago - used to get a lot of flak from various car-meet attendees over what he did with their GTOs. "But MY name's on the titles, see?"

As far as motorcycles go - in the words of the late Rutger Hauer:

While wandering the various area swap meets and ride-ins, I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. And I'm NOT talking about a pair of flap-jack tits on some topless old hatchet-faced Harley babe.

WZ7U
11-01-2021, 02:18 PM

Nary a ham op badge to be seen.

N8YX
11-01-2021, 02:24 PM
Time to save this one:

All three bikes are/were owned by hams. From left to right, Steve's (AC6EA/W6VM) '97 Valkyrie Standard, KD8DSG's '99 Valkyrie Tourer and my first Valkyrie Interstate, an '00:

Only the Tourer remains. Steve can't ride much due to a double hip replacement (although he and KE6FIL ride Burgman scooters), I sold the I/S to finance another bike project and modified the Tourer to be my main cruiser for traveling.

I miss my motorcycle buddies. If anyone has their Journey album 'Escape' handy, please queue up "Still They Ride". I'm that guy.

kb2crk
11-01-2021, 03:59 PM
Time to save this one:

All three bikes are/were owned by hams. From left to right, Steve's (AC6EA/W6VM) '97 Valkyrie Standard, KD8DSG's '99 Valkyrie Tourer and my first Valkyrie Interstate, an '00:

Only the Tourer remains. Steve can't ride much due to a double hip replacement (although he and KE6FIL ride Burgman scooters), I sold the I/S to finance another bike project and modified the Tourer to be my main cruiser for traveling.

I miss my motorcycle buddies. If anyone has their Journey album 'Escape' handy, please queue up "Still They Ride". I'm that guy.

I have that LP somewhere. Have to adjust the speed a little on the turntable first. It is running a little fast.

KG4CGC
11-01-2021, 06:42 PM
I have that LP somewhere. Have to adjust the speed a little on the turntable first. It is running a little fast.

The older you get, the faster the record plays.

W3WN
11-01-2021, 08:37 PM
Time to save this one:

You will NEVER catch me on one of those... too much of a chicken... but you don’t have to ride to appreciate those machines, even tho a rider will appreciate them more.

KG4CGC
11-01-2021, 11:05 PM
You will NEVER catch me on one of those... too much of a chicken... but you don’t have to ride to appreciate those machines, even tho a rider will appreciate them more.

I appreciate that they're "Harlified Goldwings." Nothing wrong with that. Good looking. Dependable.
Just change the oil and put gas in it. Until you have to take it for dealer service, then you'll appreciate what you just paid to have your Honda car or van dealer serviced. Again, don't get me wrong. If you're getting your Harley dealer serviced, you're paying for the gold plated wrenches the mechanic owns and uses.

A lot of Youtubers went to a Harley factory event out West to test ride and review the new Sportster. They all agreed that it's a great bike. Handles well, has more power and uses modern parts and more modern manufacturing resulting in a more dependable, better riding, better feeling bike as well as modernized retro classic looks. Not bad pricing either considering I'd expect a new Harley, with all new factory assemble to run into the upper teens in thousands of dollars but the most basic base model starts out at around $9500. The Sportster S will be available in fall 2021 with a starting price of $15,000 and includes the 1250T engine.

Better than I could do, read more here: https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2021/07/15/2021-harley-davidson-sportster-s-first-look-14-fast-facts/

KG4CGC
11-01-2021, 11:56 PM

N8YX
11-02-2021, 08:34 AM
The Chopper Gang often puts the lever down by the transmission/oil tank. Jockey shift.

N8YX
11-02-2021, 08:59 AM
A lot of Youtubers went to a Harley factory event out West to test ride and review the new Sportster. They all agreed that it's a great bike. Handles well, has more power and uses modern parts and more modern manufacturing resulting in a more dependable, better riding, better feeling bike as well as modernized retro classic looks. Not bad pricing either considering I'd expect a new Harley, with all new factory assemble to run into the upper teens in thousands of dollars but the most basic base model starts out at around $9500. The Sportster S will be available in fall 2021 with a starting price of $15,000 and includes the 1250T engine.

Better than I could do, read more here: https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2021/07/15/2021-harley-davidson-sportster-s-first-look-14-fast-facts/

Harley has a very bad habit of killing off product lines that actually get out of their own way and can stop and handle competently.

The first (but certainly not the last) example was the FXRS line - specifically, the FXRS-SP.

Then this:

I've ridden the VRSCA in twisties, at speed...and they're leagues above ANYTHING the Motor Company produced in that niche. The new Sportster apparently borrows a lot from the V-Rod ancestry but seriously needs to lose the forward controls. If they're marketing this model to the younger hooligan crowd, they went wide of the mark by a country mile.

KG4CGC
11-02-2021, 10:31 AM
Harley has a very bad habit of killing off product lines that actually get out of their own way and can stop and handle competently.
<snip>
The new Sportster apparently borrows a lot from the V-Rod ancestry but seriously needs to lose the forward controls. If they're marketing this model to the younger hooligan crowd, they went wide of the mark by a country mile.

Mid controls on the new Sportster is a $700 option.

KG4CGC
11-02-2021, 09:21 PM
Nary a ham op badge to be seen.

I know, right? And we're smack dab (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uLrbodN-9A) in ham country!

KG4CGC
11-05-2021, 02:33 PM

KG4CGC
11-08-2021, 12:46 AM

<snip>

That's because their so called loyal customers (some anyway) complain that those are not real Harleys. They cry so loud that the company backs out of production.
The bike you have pictured, I know a few guys that love them. They say, and I quote, "Harley finally built a real bike."

KG4CGC
11-12-2021, 11:37 PM

KG4CGC
12-09-2021, 12:51 PM
In case anyone hasn't been able to identify the pic above from a single shot, that's a 70's Yamaha RD 350, from Canada!

WZ7U
12-09-2021, 05:26 PM
A 70's watercooled Yamaha? Didn't know such a thing existed.

kop
12-15-2021, 10:55 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_TZ_350
The TZ and LC 350 engines are a nut for bolt mounting location swap
I could bore you to tears with details :- )

Eric , I still lurk here

kop
12-15-2021, 11:13 PM
Okay , I'll jump in Chuck

It's a xs650 limited by it's combustion chamber and center crank pin .
The best thing about the over bore was gaining room for quench area and even at that some careful welding to fill in some obvious voids in the chamber .
Some facts .
Alcohol has approximately half the BTU's by volume than that of good gas (not pump)
Alcohol has a greater latent heat of evaporation
Alcohol has a stoichiometric mix 6.5:1 as opposed to 14.7 for gasoline .
Most CV diaphragms and rubber parts as well as the carb bodies won't put up with straight alcohol.Even intake port erosion can be a problem .
The combustion chamber is steel on top and sides while the piston top is aluminum .
Alcohol burns much slower and it's behavior near relatively cool combustion surfaces is way different than gasoline .
So ...
toss the BS36-38's
Drop a significant sum on carbs and jets from Sudco (real good people)
Use an old Axtel mag or equivalent
Be prepared to get it wrong a bunch of times possibly torching a piston or two and get used to tearing into it on a weekly basis .
Fixed advance as much as 40 degrees
Jets you can see big screen TV through
Pistons running so close to the deck that at temperatures below 40 degrees the engine has to be heated just to provide enough deck clearance so it will turn over .
Over advancing the timing without enough fuel and "banging" the tune up and having the rod bearings "peen" the crank .
Having to carefully start the bike on gasoline then switch to alcohol .
Freezing the carbs in high humidity .
Having to nearly redesign the clutch or just spend the bucks at Heiden tuning . Might as well change the primary ratio while you're at it .
Adapt XV 700-750 valves , Buy Manley stainless valves or keep an eye out for the titanium valve guy on fleabay .
Hoos racing for the exhaust . They just get it .
Fishead brakes .
A stack of rear tires ,
And on ...
About 75 miles on a tank which drops drastically if you wrist it .
About 78 hp and nearly as much torque in one of the most sensitive to state of tune compilations I've ever owned .
I couldn't keep the thing together as a 360 degree crank . I had to twist the crank and cam . Crank is 277 degrees , You do the math for the cam I'm tired .
This was an outgrowth of the 70's Yamaha ,Shell Thuet , race program with the same caveat as then . Even with the odd crank (the object was to have one piston at or near max acceleration while the other was at minimum ) The center crank pin and it's fit to the counter weights becomes a loose pin in a hand grenade waiting for a place to happen at power levels over 80 hp . Shock load it a lower levels and see the same result .

Was it smart ? No,
Was it fun ? Not really the engine development was a drain on my time and resources .
Was it difficult ? Not really , it's just nutz and boltz .
How close was I at first get ? Left field ( more like Landsdown Street . If you savvy baseball if not nevermind )
Was it worth it ? heh heh heh . Well ok some days yes . Other days it's wtf was I thinking
So here we go again ....

more here https://xs650temp.proboards.com/thread/17134/red-bike

If it gets any attention I'll keep going

AF7XT

WZ7U
12-15-2021, 11:14 PM
There he is! :clap:

KG4CGC
01-23-2022, 03:17 PM

N8YX
01-24-2022, 09:37 AM
I'd have to dig around for it, Charles...but there's a similar photo from Mid Ohio Vintage Motorcycle Days somewhere on my phone.

KG4CGC
01-24-2022, 10:45 AM
I'd have to dig around for it, Charles...but there's a similar photo from Mid Ohio Vintage Motorcycle Days somewhere on my phone.

Very cool. I'd like to see it. Those old BMW's were a work of art.

N8YX
03-21-2022, 08:44 AM
Not an artwork post per se, but I put my CAD skills to work over the last couple months and designed a few things for the ongoing Concours 14 project. This is the bike which is getting an IC-703+ and an FTM-10R in a re-purposed Police Motor top box. I've also re-used a number of police-bike-specific parts on this project, including clutch/brake master cylinder clamps which incorporate brackets for the various push button switches that the two radios will use for things like tuning and PTT.

The art comes into play when you design things that are aesthetically pleasing - a term I use often is "making a part look like it grew there". This becomes challenging when you're designing a multi-function piece. Long hours of skull work are involved.

Several sets of bracket cutouts are at the laser cutters, along with a license plate frame that incorporates a pair of Whelen running lights and a helmet lock. Pics of this stuff when it's back from the powder coaters.

N8YX
05-17-2022, 09:06 AM
Follow-up to the above. This is what's currently going on in my drive/garage:

N8YX
05-17-2022, 09:53 AM
The other side of the bars. There be a lot of switches here.

KG4CGC
05-17-2022, 10:49 AM
(swoon)

N8YX
05-17-2022, 12:47 PM
Buttons closest to the grip are for FTM-10R and IC-703+ PTT, respectively. To the right of the silver Otto P3-series switch are two push buttons, used to select frequency or memory channel Up/Down for the FTM-10R. The three remaining push buttons (from top) are IC-703+ Function Lock (red), FTM-10R VFO/Mem (black) and FTM-10R Band/Input/Function selection (red).

The two switches on the right side bar are IC-703+ Frequency/Mem Up/Down. Their mode is determined by the "Lock" button on the Icom's control head, which is itself a separate function from the bar-mounted "Lock" button.

I had to to a lot of design and development work on the control interface circuits to make this work. Schematics and details will be published on the IC-703, FTM-10 Groups.io groups and with the various parts/hardware vendors for those wishing to use the concepts on their own bikes.

K4PIH
05-17-2022, 05:20 PM
Modern motorcycle instruments are looking more and more like fighter jet cockpits. Way nice!

I quit riding some years ago, but owned almost every brand of motorcycle known to man. Last one I rode was a KZ1000.

NQ6U
05-18-2022, 08:57 AM
I sold my old Beemer over 30 years ago after too many close encounters with clueless cage drivers. I still miss it sometimes, though.

N8YX
05-18-2022, 08:58 AM
Modern motorcycle instruments are looking more and more like fighter jet cockpits. Way nice!

I quit riding some years ago, but owned almost every brand of motorcycle known to man. Last one I rode was a KZ1000.
Interesting observation regarding bikes and jets. I've taught a lot of beginning riders over the years, and my counsel has always been "Ride the bike like you're flying a jet". This is particularly true with sport bikes, sport tourers and the like:

Speed is Life, as maneuverability options decrease along with velocity
Everything near your space is an existential threat. Prepare and pro-act/react accordingly
Get in the habit of scanning your road (air) space automatically. Sweep your eyes to the gauges, your horizon, the mirrors and back to the horizon.
For those with onboard electronics: Ride (aviate), position (navigate) and play with the radios (communicate) in that order.

Many of the ham crowd are flummoxed at the idea of a motorcyclist being able to safely operate two-way gear while underway, yet (as you inferred) a fighter pilot has a far more complex environment in which to operate yet manages to successfully complete missions. The secret? TRAINING and PRACTICE.

With regards to the bolded: I've had KZ- series motorcycles to wet-noodle speeds a number of times. That is, the chassis feels like a collection of wet noodles if the bikes are hammered hard into turns. From 1978-1980, an outfit was retrofitting a Rajay turbocharger to the Z1R series and selling it as a "Z1R-TC". A couple magazine articles reviewed the conversions and remarked on the acceleration.

Fast forward to 2008. On its introduction, the Concours 14 put more horsepower and torque to the rear tire across the entire power band than the 'TC did...and it actually handles and stops well. I've never been able to make either of mine feel "squishy", no matter the speed or lean angles at which I've ridden them.

N8YX
05-18-2022, 09:02 AM
I sold my old Beemer over 30 years ago after too many close encounters with clueless cage drivers. I still miss it sometimes, though.

Which model, Carl?

K4PIH
05-18-2022, 11:26 AM
Interesting observation regarding bikes and jets. I've taught a lot of beginning riders over the years, and my counsel has always been "Ride the bike like you're flying a jet". This is particularly true with sport bikes, sport tourers and the like:

Speed is Life, as maneuverability options decrease along with velocity
Everything near your space is an existential threat. Prepare and pro-act/react accordingly
Get in the habit of scanning your road (air) space automatically. Sweep your eyes to the gauges, your horizon, the mirrors and back to the horizon.
For those with onboard electronics: Ride (aviate), position (navigate) and play with the radios (communicate) in that order.

Many of the ham crowd are flummoxed at the idea of a motorcyclist being able to safely operate two-way gear while underway, yet (as you inferred) a fighter pilot has a far more complex environment in which to operate yet manages to successfully complete missions. The secret? TRAINING and PRACTICE.

With regards to the bolded: I've had KZ- series motorcycles to wet-noodle speeds a number of times. That is, the chassis feels like a collection of wet noodles if the bikes are hammered hard into turns. From 1978-1980, an outfit was retrofitting a Rajay turbocharger to the Z1R series and selling it as a "Z1R-TC". A couple magazine articles reviewed the conversions and remarked on the acceleration.

Fast forward to 2008. On its introduction, the Concours 14 put more horsepower and torque to the rear tire across the entire power band than the 'TC did...and it actually handles and stops well. I've never been able to make either of mine feel "squishy", no matter the speed or lean angles at which I've ridden them.

4 excellent points on motorcycle riding! the KZ I had was gifted to me by a coworker who's father had owned it and then passed due to cancer. It sat for a long time in a storage facility. Rode it for a while after getting it running again but too much real work and $$ to make it a dependable ride. Donated it to a shop that teaches kids how to fix things.

NQ6U
05-18-2022, 12:52 PM
Which model, Carl?

1968 R-60. Don’t have any photos of it but it looked pretty much like (a less clean verson of) this one:

https://www.yesterdays.nl/site/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/BMW-1968-R60-1810263-2.jpg

WZ7U
05-18-2022, 04:58 PM
I gave up on being in the wind from idiot cagers sharing the road. Saw my long time bud get turned into and nearly ran over right in front of me (full stop) and that's the final straw for me. Although I did get a bucket list item checked off last year, same friend let me ride his Harley down the long drive and back. Couldn't bring myself to get out on the road with it. Last bike I owned was an 83 Kaw 750.

While it's a bummer not being in the wind, I know my skillset is weak in that regard these days. I have wound down on my aggressive driving much the last couple years because I can tell my shit isn't the tight coil it used to be. Uh oh, am I getting all responsible and shit?

N8YX
05-19-2022, 08:44 AM
Last bike I owned was an 83 Kaw 750.

750 Spectre, I presume?

WZ7U
05-19-2022, 01:04 PM
Close. Very close.
750 LTD. It was purple and had chrome in place of the spectres black and the seat was different. Shaft drive was a new experience for me. Im pretty sure it was an '83, but I bought it in 88 or 89 IIRC. I enjoyed the shit outta that bike, right up until I didn't.

Holy crap its been a while. Found a picture on the web. Mine was the same except for the combination back rest/luggage rack. Added saddle bags and I was in high cotton with that ride.

N8YX
05-20-2022, 11:46 AM
I loved the Spectres when they were introduced. Saw my first one "live" - the 1100- in the spring of '83 while out with a friend and his family (we both rode).

Fast-forward to the late 90s: I lived in a township near Canton, and one of the routes in and out of the place featured a house with a forlorn 1100 parked in its front yard. The bike sat there for years, wasting away.

I've also attended a lot of vintage rallies and cruise-ins since then. The number of Spectres of both displacements I've seen at all events combined could be counted on one hand. Likewise, Yamaha's competitive offering - 1100 Midnight Special. A local dealer frequently sold Specials off their floor, but where they ended up is anyone's guess.

KG4CGC
08-07-2022, 04:50 PM

N8YX
08-24-2022, 02:33 PM
The son of a late friend of mine (son being my age) owns a really nice blue 75/5. I may have a pic of it somewhere.