PDA

View Full Version : Recycling?

KG4CGC
08-09-2021, 01:07 AM
I've been looking at ALL the plastic I go through.

WZ7U
08-09-2021, 03:11 AM
Out here you get the privilege of paying a dime per bottle deposit, then doing mortal combat with the tweakers at the redemption machine sites. Across the river, plastic is treated as garbage.

No rhyme.
No reason.

n6hcm
08-10-2021, 04:04 AM
We don't have to do thst with the caps and the rings. It's still a pita here. Their idea of reuse means getting into your car and jsckassing all over the county to drop off this or thst...

KG4CGC
08-10-2021, 08:17 AM
The thing with the caps and rings is that we were supposed to be separating them all along since they are two different kinds of plastics and if you read on the bottle it says to do just that. We sell plastic recycling to other countries and now they are sending back our plastic because it is too hard to separate out the caps from the bottles.
We don't do any actual recycling here. We just send it off.

kb2vxa
08-10-2021, 02:59 PM
We live in a plastic world, plastic bottles, plastic cars, plastic islands, plastic people you're such a drag. 46% of the total mass is discarded fishing gear. 99% of everything is plastic. Garbage Island covers 994 million square miles.It is made of 1.8 trillion pieces of plastic, 80,000 tons of garbage. Who wants to on a DXpedition and open Garbage Island as a DXCC entity and give it a callsign?

KG4CGC
08-10-2021, 03:12 PM
Warren, I can only imagine (imagining that it's true) that there is a good bit of yours and mine in that pile in the ocean.
Shitty species.
Shitty species man you're such a drag.

KG4CGC
08-13-2021, 05:19 PM
Plastic gas station fountain drink cups: Polypropylene. (PP)
The lids: Low density polyethylene. (LDPE)

Separate and recycle accordingly.

Styrofoam in my state goes in regular trash. Anyone else live in a Styrofoam state?

n6hcm
08-16-2021, 03:37 AM
Styrofoam goes in the trash here. This freaks me out. After 30 years of sf recycling (where you are only billed for trash pickup, but not for compost or recyclables) recycling here is just weird.

HUGH
08-16-2021, 06:14 AM
Plastics are here to stay from when you get out of bed to "lights out", it's impossible to inhabit a plastic-free world which is what some campaigners would have us do. On my dog-walks I see many who just put out their plastics and metals without rinsing, de-labelling or removing tops so this has to be sorted by the recycling organisation (which we pay for). I imagine some of the items after 2 weeks must stink like nothing on earth.

It's important to educate people about different types of plastic, where they are use and why so they're not all classed as "the same". It has been a scam in the past from companies being set up as "Patricks Polymers" for example, they charged for collection and then bundled up the mixed lot to be "recycled" but in practice they went nowher, simply increased in quantity until dozens of warehouses were filled to the roof and then abandoned, sometimes being sat on fire.

kb2vxa
08-17-2021, 11:53 AM
"Warren, I can only imagine (imagining that it's true) that there is a good bit of yours and mine in that pile in the ocean."
No Charles, that's the trash caught in the Pacific Gyre, if any of ours is in the Atlantic I'm sure we didn't put it there. https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/podcast/mar18/nop14-ocean-garbage-patches.html The only solid waste I'm responsible for are a few lumps of rust that once were steel beer cans I'm sure sank because of the extra holes my church key put in them. The rest was the biodegradable kind when heads on sport fishers aka party boats flushed into the ocean. Waste tanks spoiled all the fun watching kids pointing over the rail shouting DADDY, LOOK AT THE TOILET FISH!

"Anyone else live in a Styrofoam state?"
I live in a state of confusion.