PDA

View Full Version : Feeling disheartened and ham radio culture shocked

KB2SFH
02-09-2021, 07:40 PM
I broke out my yaesu vx-6 tribander ht this weekend and gave it a good charge after too many years in storage and amazingly it charged up and held the charge, but my yaesu ft-530 dual bander batteries were doa even after forever on the charger so I have to order new fnb-27's but the bigger issue is finding all these new operating modes that snuck in while I was gone and limits my repeater use now and renders my gear semi obsolete since many that I was a reg on went dstar, fusion, dmr, wires x with new pl jargon cc1, cc2.cc3. cc6, nac 293. I mean I never heard of any of this new stuff and I am not going to go out and buy new radios with all these new things, I don't have the money and my 2 ht's and mobile dual band are still good. I am not going to play keep up with the Jones's of ham radio trying to come back to the hobby a little after all these years away from it because my entire life was turned upside down and inside out and I had to give up everything except for my job to deal with everything that was dropped on my head and thrown at me on top of it all:dunno:

kb2vxa
02-10-2021, 05:57 AM
Don't feel bad, remember what Arlo Guthrie walking in his humorist/musician father Woody's footsteps said, there's always somebody (like me the paper ham) who has it worse than you. But think of the LAST guy, ain't nobody has it worse than THAT guy. You're suffering from Planned Obsolescence Syndrome and the only cure is money neither of us have enough of... maybe.

Did you receive the only thing Trumpy Bear as our Canukian friend calls him did good, the $1,200 gift? How about Uncle Joe's $600 down payment on the gift they're still squabbling over? Don't answer those rhetorical questions, your finances are a private matter, they're just something to think about.

Speaking of an obsolete HT, my Azden developed a nasty squeal when on 5W, 1W sounded fine, then both battery packs died. I was friends with the NY dealer/service center ham from LIMARC, (from the Jersey shore Long Island is a direct over water path) unfortunately they dropped the Amateur Radio line dealing in TV broadcast exclusively. To make matters worse nobody rebuilt those battery packs, I couldn't rebuild them either, NiCd cells of that size were unavailable.

N8YX
02-10-2021, 01:53 PM
Get on one of the FM simplex channels. Much more ingratiating than the average repeater group QSO.

W3WN
02-11-2021, 07:07 AM
I broke out my yaesu vx-6 tribander ht this weekend and gave it a good charge after too many years in storage and amazingly it charged up and held the charge, but my yaesu ft-530 dual bander batteries were doa even after forever on the charger so I have to order new fnb-27's but the bigger issue is finding all these new operating modes that snuck in while I was gone and limits my repeater use now and renders my gear semi obsolete since many that I was a reg on went dstar, fusion, dmr, wires x with new pl jargon cc1, cc2.cc3. cc6, nac 293. I mean I never heard of any of this new stuff and I am not going to go out and buy new radios with all these new things, I don't have the money and my 2 ht's and mobile dual band are still good. I am not going to play keep up with the Jones's of ham radio trying to come back to the hobby a little after all these years away from it because my entire life was turned upside down and inside out and I had to give up everything except for my job to deal with everything that was dropped on my head and thrown at me on top of it all:dunno:
CC1? NAC23? Don't feel so bad, I never heard of them either.

Of course, the Pittsburgh area is still somewhat in the dark ages. D*Star never really caught on, there's some interest in Fusion and DMR repeaters, but the vast majority of FM activity is on 2 meter simplex and some good old analog FM repeaters... quite a few of which are, amazingly, still in use, though nothing like the good old days.

So no, don't give up. I'm sure there's still some activity around. Just have to find it. Drop a note to N2RJ, even though she doesn't hang out around here anymore (outside of lurking), I'm sure she can make some suggestions. And I don't know if you know Steve KF2TI, he's one of the good guys (even if he does let me hang around at the Three Steves flea market spaces at Hamvention, which just goes to prove that nobody's perfect), but he might be able to give you some advice as well.

kb2vxa
02-11-2021, 10:42 AM
There's always a fly in the ointment, my once favorite band 6M is out because the only life it sees is during band openings, nobody wanted to move off the 2M repeaters that out of the few left are seeing little use these days so I've been told. I could go 300 miles in the VXAmobile on 52 and hear nothing. 1.25M was a flash in the pan, and without a repeater 70cM range is quite short. Sue can't put antennas on her building so she's limited to sitting by a window with an HT, and you read about her mobile predicament. For several reasons Amateurs are a dying breed unfortunately. Oh, I may be a paper ham these days, but I still transmit... ultra QRP on 2.4 and 5GHz with my teeny weeny digital radio. ('->)

W3WN
02-11-2021, 03:40 PM
There's always a way, Warren.

For example: Do you have a window you can access from the outside (even if by opening another window)? Consider an on-the-glass mobile antenna. May not be the greatest, but it will get you more than an HT rubber duck will... and when you're ready to leave, there's solvents to remove the glue. No muss, no fuss.

Got a balcony? Mag mount. (V/UHF, 10 meters, maybe 12 & 15)

Balcony decent sized, and you want HF? Put a big potted plant on it, a plant that requires a trellis. The center of the trellis? A hamstick. You can even build a trellis out of two or three. Feed the coax through the bottom. Use a plastic pot, makes it easy enough drill a hole for coax... or an SO-239.

Access to the roof? Ventenna.

Way to sneak the coax in? Do you have a dryer vent? At worst, the internal dryer duct can be removed and replaced with one you can buy at Home De$pot or Lowe$ or even Wally World. Punch a hole in YOUR vent for the coax... seal it after you're done. When the time comes to move, just remove your duct and put the original one back.

Got a sliding glass door on that balcony? Get a small piece of plywood, height of the door, width not much. Leave a notch in it for coax. When you want to operate, open the door, put the plywood in, put the coax in the notch, close the door. (Cold weather, or AC? Get some rubber foam meant for windows or doors...

Just a few suggestions. Hope it helps, or at least inspires. Good luck.

KG4CGC
02-11-2021, 05:49 PM
Mag loop. Small and powerful.

kb2vxa
02-13-2021, 11:45 AM
I know about the mag loop, and Ron, unfortunately none of your suggestions are possible or I would be active. The window is plastic and screwed shut, the entire complex is ground level, there is simply no place for anything besides my tiny 5GHz transceiver pictured above. Now hopefully Sue is reading this, there's more to life than above 30MHz and more modes than FM. Girl, you have unlimited privileges, so why not look into HF and a mag loop? There's always a large potted plant with RF burns by a window.

KB2SFH
02-13-2021, 06:13 PM
Don't feel bad, remember what Arlo Guthrie walking in his humorist/musician father Woody's footsteps said, there's always somebody (like me the paper ham) who has it worse than you. But think of the LAST guy, ain't nobody has it worse than THAT guy. You're suffering from Planned Obsolescence Syndrome and the only cure is money neither of us have enough of... maybe.

Did you receive the only thing Trumpy Bear as our Canukian friend calls him did good, the $1,200 gift? How about Uncle Joe's $600 down payment on the gift they're still squabbling over? Don't answer those rhetorical questions, your finances are a private matter, they're just something to think about.

Speaking of an obsolete HT, my Azden developed a nasty squeal when on 5W, 1W sounded fine, then both battery packs died. I was friends with the NY dealer/service center ham from LIMARC, (from the Jersey shore Long Island is a direct over water path) unfortunately they dropped the Amateur Radio line dealing in TV broadcast exclusively. To make matters worse nobody rebuilt those battery packs, I couldn't rebuild them either, NiCd cells of that size were unavailable.

Sorry about your Azden, I know you always loved that radio. As far as stimulus payments they are going into my savings. I need to do serious replenishing of bank accounts after taking unfortunate major hits over the past 5 years..

kb2vxa
02-14-2021, 01:06 PM
I loved that girlfriend pictured, the one Mike hit on, the Azden not so much. I see your point, if you shave your har everybody can see it. (ducking) Getting your finances in order is FAR more important than giving some poor house plant RF burns. While I'm thinking of RF burns, I came up with a twist on an old T shirt slogan, "real radios glow in the dark". How about "12 volts is for wimps, real radios can KILL you."? A stupid design error could have killed me, I forgot a safety interlock relay in a transmitter I built and it nearly burned my left arm off............

KB2SFH
02-14-2021, 05:57 PM
I loved that girlfriend pictured, the one Mike hit on, the Azden not so much. I see your point, if you shave your har everybody can see it. (ducking) Getting your finances in order is FAR more important than giving some poor house plant RF burns. While I'm thinking of RF burns, I came up with a twist on an old T shirt slogan, "real radios glow in the dark". How about "12 volts is for wimps, real radios can KILL you."? A stupid design error could have killed me, I forgot a safety interlock relay in a transmitter I built and it nearly burned my left arm off............

I don't keep houseplants because I don't have a green thumb and can't even keep an air fern alive. Well I guess I am a wimp because I am a 12 volter which leads me to my next question. What size spade crimp connectors do I need that will fit the poles to the tripplite PR-25? to get a portable setup back together in the apartment so I can get onto repeaters that haven't gone to these new modes yet. here is a sample pic of the connector type I want, I just don't know what size to order. http://media.rs-online.com/t_large/F1611819-01.jpg
p.s. sorry about you almost burning your arm off, but if you had you could have saved face telling people I whacked your arm off in an Italian rage.

N8YX
02-14-2021, 08:39 PM
Have an AutoZone, Advance Auto or similar auto-parts supply near you?

Walk in and buy a crimp connector assortment pack. The type shown above is good for 22-18GA wire, and most of these assortments have a few different sizes of those that cover all the way from 22 up to 10 (and even 8) gauge wire. Widths are pretty much standard across the series, so they'll fit almost any barrier strip you'll encounter.

ad4mg
02-14-2021, 08:55 PM
What size spade crimp connectors do I need that will fit the poles to the tripplite PR-25? to get a portable setup back together in the apartment so I can get onto repeaters that haven't gone to these new modes yet. here is a sample pic of the connector type I want, I just don't know what size to order.
Susan,
That's a spade connector, and you need to size it for the studded connections on the back of the power supply. A photo I'm looking at leads me to believe the studs are either 1/4" or 5/16" in diameter.

Equally important is the proper size crimp-on connector for the gauge of wire you will use. This is a 25 amp supply, and is quite capable of frying wire that is too small. The connectors in your pic are color coded for 22-18 ga wire, WAY too small for this amount of current. Here is a color code chart for the connectors:

Wire gauge is determined by considering how long the length of the wire run is and the amount of current (amps) it can safely handle. For a modest load, say 8-10 amps, and a 12' run of wire, 10 ga is suggested, but you could probably use 12 ga, or even 14 ga, but certainly no smaller.

A thermal wire gauge chart can be found here: https://dcthermal.com/wire-guidecharts/

It is very conservative on current capacity... it will point you to very large wire for the application.

I ran a 5 watt HT, TNC, and cooling fan on 14ga wire (15' long) for years without an issue. I used the Blue color coded connectors... the Yellow ones were a bit large for 14ga wire.

Hope that helps!

KB2SFH
02-15-2021, 10:16 AM
Have an AutoZone, Advance Auto or similar auto-parts supply near you?

Walk in and buy a crimp connector assortment pack. The type shown above is good for 22-18GA wire, and most of these assortments have a few different sizes of those that cover all the way from 22 up to 10 (and even 8) gauge wire. Widths are pretty much standard across the series, so they'll fit almost any barrier strip you'll encounter.

I have one of those kits with the crimper but am out of the connectors I need as those were used and fell off my wires and got lost and stuck with other connectors of no use to me

KB2SFH
02-15-2021, 10:18 AM
Susan,
That's a spade connector, and you need to size it for the studded connections on the back of the power supply. A photo I'm looking at leads me to believe the studs are either 1/4" or 5/16" in diameter.

Equally important is the proper size crimp-on connector for the gauge of wire you will use. This is a 25 amp supply, and is quite capable of frying wire that is too small. The connectors in your pic are color coded for 22-18 ga wire, WAY too small for this amount of current. Here is a color code chart for the connectors:

Wire gauge is determined by considering how long the length of the wire run is and the amount of current (amps) it can safely handle. For a modest load, say 8-10 amps, and a 12' run of wire, 10 ga is suggested, but you could probably use 12 ga, or even 14 ga, but certainly no smaller.

A thermal wire gauge chart can be found here: https://dcthermal.com/wire-guidecharts/

It is very conservative on current capacity... it will point you to very large wire for the application.

I ran a 5 watt HT, TNC, and cooling fan on 14ga wire (15' long) for years without an issue. I used the Blue color coded connectors... the Yellow ones were a bit large for 14ga wire.

Hope that helps!

The blue ones sound familiar and they were good for the ht but I also want to run my mobile on it as well so I guess it would be safe to order both blues and reds?

kb2vxa
02-16-2021, 08:45 AM
See how helpful these people are? That's why this is my favorite web site. Unless you have gorilla grip you need a double action crimp tool so they're on tight. I soldered mine to seal the deal, a tight electrical connection is insurance against resistance heating and melted insulation. ASSuming you have neither my many years of experience and specialized tools that double action tool may be a bit pricey, but such is the price of insurance. I just took a quick look at the web, it tells us Home Despot is your best bet, take an on line peek and order what you need saving the risk of going there under present conditions.

Plastic plants are for people with brown thumbs and plastic being a good insulator it won't suffer RF burns. I'd rather suffer the slings and arrows of fellow hams wagging "you should know better" fingers than involve you in my misery. That's akin to those phonetics Jim and I used, you know the ones I keep secret. All of you will roll with laughter at my RF burn adventure at a pirate AM radio station.

I got the idea from the chief engineer of a 500W local AM station drawing a "singing arc" off the antenna tuning unit with needle nose pliers. The pirate transmitter was a Johnson Valiant with the cover off and a fan blowing on it, an AM transmitter made for ICAS (Intermittent Commercial & Amateur Service) doesn't like CCS (Continuous Commercial Service). Wax had previously melted and ran out of the modulation transformer, the 866 mercury vapor HV rectifier tubes look cool, but with blobs of liwuid mercury condensed on the windy side I'm surprised they didn't flash over and destroy themselves. BTW the arm roaster I built was designed for CCS if you get my drift. Now to the point, I drew an arc off the tank coil with needle nose pliers too, but hadn't noticed a pinhole in the insulation on the handle, YYYOOOWWWWWWW!!!!! Now where did the pliers go? We searched the room, no pliers, 100W couldn't have vaporized them, a mystery. I came back for another guest DJ spot a couple of weeks later and <clink> there they were at my feet. Looking up we saw a small hole in the ceiling, mystery solved. Now ho ahead and laugh!

KB2SFH
02-21-2021, 05:02 PM
See how helpful these people are? That's why this is my favorite web site. Unless you have gorilla grip you need a double action crimp tool so they're on tight. I soldered mine to seal the deal, a tight electrical connection is insurance against resistance heating and melted insulation. ASSuming you have neither my many years of experience and specialized tools that double action tool may be a bit pricey, but such is the price of insurance. I just took a quick look at the web, it tells us Home Despot is your best bet, take an on line peek and order what you need saving the risk of going there under present conditions.

Plastic plants are for people with brown thumbs and plastic being a good insulator it won't suffer RF burns. I'd rather suffer the slings and arrows of fellow hams wagging "you should know better" fingers than involve you in my misery. That's akin to those phonetics Jim and I used, you know the ones I keep secret. All of you will roll with laughter at my RF burn adventure at a pirate AM radio station.

I got the idea from the chief engineer of a 500W local AM station drawing a "singing arc" off the antenna tuning unit with needle nose pliers. The pirate transmitter was a Johnson Valiant with the cover off and a fan blowing on it, an AM transmitter made for ICAS (Intermittent Commercial & Amateur Service) doesn't like CCS (Continuous Commercial Service). Wax had previously melted and ran out of the modulation transformer, the 866 mercury vapor HV rectifier tubes look cool, but with blobs of liwuid mercury condensed on the windy side I'm surprised they didn't flash over and destroy themselves. BTW the arm roaster I built was designed for CCS if you get my drift. Now to the point, I drew an arc off the tank coil with needle nose pliers too, but hadn't noticed a pinhole in the insulation on the handle, YYYOOOWWWWWWW!!!!! Now where did the pliers go? We searched the room, no pliers, 100W couldn't have vaporized them, a mystery. I came back for another guest DJ spot a couple of weeks later and <clink> there they were at my feet. Looking up we saw a small hole in the ceiling, mystery solved. Now ho ahead and laugh!

I think I'm not going to be needing the connectors as I have my eye on a newer power supply by Yaesu which will go hand in hand with the equipment I am planning on. This was a gift from the biscuithead in my early days so I am going to put it up for sale for pickup only, I am not about to pay all that money to ship it, it is too heavy.

KB2SFH
02-25-2021, 10:22 AM
I think I'm not going to be needing the connectors as I have my eye on a newer power supply by Yaesu which will go hand in hand with the equipment I am planning on. This was a gift from the biscuithead in my early days so I am going to put it up for sale for pickup only, I am not about to pay all that money to ship it, it is too heavy.

So anyhoo, I just ordered the new power supply from Yaesu that is much more updated with ways to connect and also has the connector terminals. Last night I wired up my mobile to my old one, one wire had the connector to the one terminal and the other wire I wrapped around the bare copper to the other terminal that I noticed was very loose and wobbly and tightened it because I wanted to test it to make sure it was ok before I listed it for sale or as a trade in. I was about to plug in and turn on the power supply when I had this really bad feeling of warning in my head come over me not to because I felt it would blow out my entire electrical in my apartment or catch on fire. I listened to that warning in my head and didn't take the chance. I am tossing the old supply out today.

kb2vxa
02-26-2021, 07:45 AM
Twisting some song lyrics:
The night the lights went out in Rahway.
That's the night Sue smoked an innocent supply..........

Scardy cat, it should have a primary fuse, or at least you have a breaker panel in tour apartment. Pickup only ties you down, I'd weigh it and get a shipping price. Then price the unit accordingly for "free shipping" or scare the customer off by making it X + shipping. Oh, instead of putting heavy metal in with household garbage I'd take a trip down Leesville Ave. to the back end of Avenel and if the junk yards are still there toss it over a fence.

On edit after Google Maps Street View gave me a virtual tour of another of my old stomping grounds I found that very fence. You can take the same tour without ever leaving your apartment. Heading down Leesville toward Avenel look for Leesville Auto (wreckers) on the left, stop. Look across the street and you'll see a fence with a big NO TRESPASSING sign that those looking to steal a wreck (;->) had better heed or get ripped to shreds by the meanest junk yard dogs one would NEVER want to meet. That's where I got a practically new carburetor for my '73 Chevy Impala for a whopping $10 as long as I took it off the 350CID engine taken from a late wreck. I swapped it out for the one that failed two rebuilds, the car started right up, and after a quick tweak I tossed the old one over the fence and drove away.

Ah, just me musing some stuff nobody really cares about, and BTW Muse is one fabulous English rock band!

KB2SFH
02-26-2021, 01:01 PM
Twisting some song lyrics:
The night the lights went out in Rahway.
That's the night Sue smoked an innocent supply..........

Scardy cat, it should have a primary fuse, or at least you have a breaker panel in tour apartment. Pickup only ties you down, I'd weigh it and get a shipping price. Then price the unit accordingly for "free shipping" or scare the customer off by making it X + shipping. Oh, instead of putting heavy metal in with household garbage I'd take a trip down Leesville Ave. to the back end of Avenel and if the junk yards are still there toss it over a fence.

On edit after Google Maps Street View gave me a virtual tour of another of my old stomping grounds I found that very fence. You can take the same tour without ever leaving your apartment. Heading down Leesville toward Avenel look for Leesville Auto (wreckers) on the left, stop. Look across the street and you'll see a fence with a big NO TRESPASSING sign that those looking to steal a wreck (;->) had better heed or get ripped to shreds by the meanest junk yard dogs one would NEVER want to meet. That's where I got a practically new carburetor for my '73 Chevy Impala for a whopping $10 as long as I took it off the 350CID engine taken from a late wreck. I swapped it out for the one that failed two rebuilds, the car started right up, and after a quick tweak I tossed the old one over the fence and drove away.

Ah, just me musing some stuff nobody really cares about, and BTW Muse is one fabulous English rock band!

I already dumped it in the trash and recycle room last night, it was still there this morning. It's no loss to me as I never paid for it, biscuithead gave it to me for a gift and the one terminal pole was really loose. The new supply I ordered is much nicer with more features, I ordered it yesterday from HRO and it was shipped less than 30 minutes later and I think it will arrive by Sunday latest.https://www.gigaparts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/dfaec006bd6782dbad92b9435baa8bcf/z/y/zys-fp-1030a.jpg

W3WN
02-26-2021, 02:40 PM
Considering the circumstances, better (for you) to use the new supply and dispose of the old one.

Under normal circumstances, I'd suggest bringing the old one to a club meeting or equivalent, give it away to someone, with full disclosure: the understanding that as far as you know, it is not working correctly and needs repair. But these are not normal times that we live in, so if you feel better just recycling it, then that's the right thing to do.

kb2vxa
02-27-2021, 06:46 AM
Well, once again I witnessed another battle in The War of the Sexes. (;->) It's a rare woman who will tighten a bolt, the love of my life was a rare woman who dove right in getting down and dirty with her car and home. Now because of a loose terminal bolt the county recycling center will get scrap steel price for a perfectly good PSU.

Sue, that's a pretty PSU, but unfortunately only able to run one 50W 2M rig. My Icom IC706Mk2G 100W HF+6M, 50W 2M, 25W 70cM rig required quite a few more amps and that sort of rig would suit your license perfectly. A mag loop is a small but powerful HF antenna for the home QTH, mobile operation unfortunately suffers with today's plastic cars and computer systems that don't like RF. Once upon a time Biscuit installed his rig in his truck, when he keyed the mic the electronic dash went nuts and the engine died. Considering his mental state it was a match made in...

Speaking of Biscuit, he gave me a 60A 12V regulated Tripp Lite supply that became the centerpiece of my station when I had one, Scott has my station and test equipment now.

HRO in Newark, DE didn't go downhill, it fell off a cliff when the ham holding the franchise sold out and two ham salesmen left. Now it's like old Rat Shack where you have questions, we have blank stares. It used to be worth the trip to shop the store, now you're better off knowing what to buy and ordering on line. Shopping the store was fun, they had a "try to buy" table with rigs switched to rooftop antennas and in the center was an HF triband beam and rotor on a tripod. I got a laugh out of one of the 2M mobile rigs that had a "potato mic". It was the clumsiest thing I'd seen, the size and shape of a sweet potato covered with buttons. OK, now where's the hole you talk into?

Last but not least, here in NJ we can tell the skin color and where a person is from by how they pronounce Nerk, Noke, Newerk, Newark. In that Delaware college town they pronounce it correctly, New ark! As near as anyone can tell Oldark is buried in ice atop Mt. Ararat.

KB2SFH
02-27-2021, 01:51 PM
Well, once again I witnessed another battle in The War of the Sexes. (;->) It's a rare woman who will tighten a bolt, the love of my life was a rare woman who dove right in getting down and dirty with her car and home. Now because of a loose terminal bolt the county recycling center will get scrap steel price for a perfectly good PSU.

Sue, that's a pretty PSU, but unfortunately only able to run one 50W 2M rig. My Icom IC706Mk2G 100W HF+6M, 50W 2M, 25W 70cM rig required quite a few more amps and that sort of rig would suit your license perfectly. A mag loop is a small but powerful HF antenna for the home QTH, mobile operation unfortunately suffers with today's plastic cars and computer systems that don't like RF. Once upon a time Biscuit installed his rig in his truck, when he keyed the mic the electronic dash went nuts and the engine died. Considering his mental state it was a match made in...

Speaking of Biscuit, he gave me a 60A 12V regulated Tripp Lite supply that became the centerpiece of my station when I had one, Scott has my station and test equipment now.

HRO in Newark, DE didn't go downhill, it fell off a cliff when the ham holding the franchise sold out and two ham salesmen left. Now it's like old Rat Shack where you have questions, we have blank stares. It used to be worth the trip to shop the store, now you're better off knowing what to buy and ordering on line. Shopping the store was fun, they had a "try to buy" table with rigs switched to rooftop antennas and in the center was an HF triband beam and rotor on a tripod. I got a laugh out of one of the 2M mobile rigs that had a "potato mic". It was the clumsiest thing I'd seen, the size and shape of a sweet potato covered with buttons. OK, now where's the hole you talk into?

Last but not least, here in NJ we can tell the skin color and where a person is from by how they pronounce Nerk, Noke, Newerk, Newark. In that Delaware college town they pronounce it correctly, New ark! As near as anyone can tell Oldark is buried in ice atop Mt. Ararat.

OK. I really didn't want to be bothered with fixing the tripplite or having someone fix it, it doesn't suit my needs anymore and it was a constant reminder of the biscuithead and a toxic relationship. I'm most likely just going to run the ht on cig lighter plug with mag mount antenna on roof as my mobile set up for now and a mobile rig, power supply and magmount on window sill as a base for now. Not much different than what I had back in Cranford. As for the newer cars I'm not too concerned and what happened to biscuithead in the truck I think he overloaded or wired something wrong to have that happen, he was rather cocky in his knowledge of how to wire and connect things. This new power supply I ordered from HRO because it had a better price than Gigaparts where I saw it and was in the accessories section of the Yaesu rigs I have my eye on and they wouldn't recommend it if it couldn't support the rigs. I copied and pasted the specs here which are suitable for me, I won't be running multiple radios at the same time on it and I am not power hungry in getting my signal out, as long as it is a decent signal i leave well enough alone.

Yaesu FP-1030A Linear 25A Power Supply w/Meters
The Yaesu FP-1030A is a high-quality, Regulated DC Power Supply specifically designed for use with DC powered radio equipment. The FP-1030A provides 13.8 Volts DC at up to 25 Amps (continuous duty).
Overload Protection
A current foldback circuit is utilized to prevent damage to the unit from excessive current drain. An "Overload" indicator becomes illuminated when an overload condition exists.
High RFI lmmunity
The FP-1030A is specifically designed for use with radio communication equipment. It therefore includes extensive filtering to provide high immunity from erratic operation which might be caused by Radio Frequency interference (RFl).
Multiple DC Output connections
Besides the two pairs of (6A) snap-in DC connections and the (25A) screw-on DC outputerminal, the FP-1030A features a cigar-lighter type DC output jack for radio equipment equipped with a hatching cigarlighter plug.

ad4mg
02-27-2021, 04:54 PM
Sue... that PS will run a 50 watt VHF mobile rig just fine. They usually draw about 12 amps @ 13.5 volts. It will also easily power most 100 watt HF rigs, as they draw about 20 amps @ 13.5 volts. The HT will offer a very light load.

Being a linear power supply, the unit will likely be fairly heavy, but you don't have to worry about RF hash from a switching power supply. Most well made switchers are pretty quiet RF wise, but a cheap unit will pitch a bitch on HF frequencies especially.

I had a 50 watt 2 meter rig and my IC-751 on an Astron RS-35M-AP power supply. Since both rigs were dedicated to voice and/or CW, I could only transmit on one at a time. Never saw the amp meter go above 19 amps.

That Astron was a beast. I have several, but the I bought 35 amp unit when I first got my license in 1992. It still works perfectly!

KB2SFH
02-27-2021, 05:08 PM
Sue... that PS will run a 50 watt VHF mobile rig just fine. They usually draw about 12 amps @ 13.5 volts. It will also easily power most 100 watt HF rigs, as they draw about 20 amps @ 13.5 volts. The HT will offer a very light load.

Being a linear power supply, the unit will likely be fairly heavy, but you don't have to worry about RF hash from a switching power supply. Most well made switchers are pretty quiet RF wise, but a cheap unit will pitch a bitch on HF frequencies especially.

I had a 50 watt 2 meter rig and my IC-751 on an Astron RS-35M-AP power supply. Since both rigs were dedicated to voice and/or CW, I could only transmit on one at a time. Never saw the amp meter go above 19 amps.

That Astron was a beast. I have several, but the I bought 35 amp unit when I first got my license in 1992. It still works perfectly!

The tripplite was really heavy too and the weight of the new one I ordered is 20 lbs so I can manage it. It is due to be delivered this weekend, so I will go check the mailroom downstairs tomorrow and pick up my packages on a rolling cart all in one trip as I have other things (radio and non radio items) I am expecting this weekend.

kb2vxa
03-01-2021, 06:02 PM
Tripp Lite PSUs are heavy because they are linear type, the transformer steps down the 60Hz mains voltage to about 24VAC, then it's rectified and goes through pass transistors in a 12VDC regulator circuit. Your new one is a switching supply that operates at a much higher frequency so the transformer needs less iron and is lighter. Right, a well designed supply is quiet even at HF. My Biscuit supply weighed a ton, you would pop a gasket trying to lift it being mostly Heavy Metal, a Lead Zeppelin, not L.E.D. Zeppelin.

Cookie Cranium had every right to be cocky about mobile installations, he had years of experience under his belt with CB, HF, and VHF rigs. The reason why the truck system went nuts was because electronic dash instruments and engine computers were very RF sensitive when they first came out. It soon became moot when companies forbade connecting anything to the wiring thanks to illegal CB installations getting companies heavy fines from the FCC. Thanks to Field Engineers inspecting and busting at weigh stations, and busting truck stop sales of illegal CB gear and golden screwdrivers illegally monkeying with frequency determining elements and power output circuits hearing truckers at the bottom of 10M complaining about the "beepers" became a thing of the past.

I'm not too keen on cig lighter plugs, they don't make good contact and anything more than an HT causes them to overheat and often melt. A mag mount on the car roof is fine as long as there's a 5/8 wave antenna on it, but you'll soon find out that 5W doesn't cut the muster unless you're pretty close in or you're on a WW (wide wide) repeater. Things get worse using that sort of setup at home, don't forget you'll be highly directional favoring the direction the window faces. Also a metal sill or railing severely distorts the pattern with major lobes following the direction of the metal and they're blocked by the building wall. You'll need some power and/or pretty fair altitude to help overcome such shortcomings, I had a rather lengthy conversation with Gordon West about it when he visited New York and put on his blazing pickle demonstration at a Metropuke meeting. I wish I could remember the window antenna he was using at his Manhattan hotel room, a gamma match fed folding aluminium square that put out one hell of a signal fed by his HT. Your building isn't nearly as high, but you'd likely do pretty good feeding one with 50W. Maybe somebody reading this can help me with this one? Maybe get those Disraeli Gears turning...........

KB2SFH
03-01-2021, 07:02 PM
Tripp Lite PSUs are heavy because they are linear type, the transformer steps down the 60Hz mains voltage to about 24VAC, then it's rectified and goes through pass transistors in a 12VDC regulator circuit. Your new one is a switching supply that operates at a much higher frequency so the transformer needs less iron and is lighter. Right, a well designed supply is quiet even at HF. My Biscuit supply weighed a ton, you would pop a gasket trying to lift it being mostly Heavy Metal, a Lead Zeppelin, not L.E.D. Zeppelin.

Cookie Cranium had every right to be cocky about mobile installations, he had years of experience under his belt with CB, HF, and VHF rigs. The reason why the truck system went nuts was because electronic dash instruments and engine computers were very RF sensitive when they first came out. It soon became moot when companies forbade connecting anything to the wiring thanks to illegal CB installations getting companies heavy fines from the FCC. Thanks to Field Engineers inspecting and busting at weigh stations, and busting truck stop sales of illegal CB gear and golden screwdrivers illegally monkeying with frequency determining elements and power output circuits hearing truckers at the bottom of 10M complaining about the "beepers" became a thing of the past.

I'm not too keen on cig lighter plugs, they don't make good contact and anything more than an HT causes them to overheat and often melt. A mag mount on the car roof is fine as long as there's a 5/8 wave antenna on it, but you'll soon find out that 5W doesn't cut the muster unless you're pretty close in or you're on a WW (wide wide) repeater. Things get worse using that sort of setup at home, don't forget you'll be highly directional favoring the direction the window faces. Also a metal sill or railing severely distorts the pattern with major lobes following the direction of the metal and they're blocked by the building wall. You'll need some power and/or pretty fair altitude to help overcome such shortcomings, I had a rather lengthy conversation with Gordon West about it when he visited New York and put on his blazing pickle demonstration at a Metropuke meeting. I wish I could remember the window antenna he was using at his Manhattan hotel room, a gamma match fed folding aluminium square that put out one hell of a signal fed by his HT. Your building isn't nearly as high, but you'd likely do pretty good feeding one with 50W. Maybe somebody reading this can help me with this one? Maybe get those Disraeli Gears turning...........

I'm trying the best I can with my limitations here and you just keep putting everything I am buying or doing down every time you post to me. I'm sorry I started investing in new equipment. I should have stayed a paper ham and stayed out of the hobby and off the air.

WZ7U
03-01-2021, 07:34 PM
Something is off with Warren.....

kb2vxa
03-02-2021, 06:53 AM
Nothing is off with me nor am I putting anything down, only pointing out lower expected results and showing how an expert, Gordon West did it better. Sue knows all about Gordo, his radio school, and study manuals. IIRC she was present during his presentation. What is off is Sue's taking it all wrong. Now if you read over the thread about getting a Johnson Thunderbolt on the air you'll see how my constructive criticism of a few points were taken THE RIGHT WAY as intended. As a result the amp is purring right along and the owner is right pleased with it and pleased with ME, the only one who helped him.

WZ7U
03-02-2021, 02:08 PM
Ok man, whatever. Instead of reflection, you sound like an addict defending your choices.

KG4CGC
03-02-2021, 02:29 PM
Ok man, whatever. Instead of reflection, you sound like an addict defending your choices.

Nailed it.

WØTKX
03-02-2021, 06:52 PM
The modulation needs more positive peaks.

KG4CGC
03-02-2021, 10:34 PM
The modulation needs more positive peaks.

WZ7U
03-03-2021, 01:49 AM
Twist the knob on three... 1, 2,17496

W3WN
03-03-2021, 04:01 PM
I'm trying the best I can with my limitations here and you just keep putting everything I am buying or doing down every time you post to me. I'm sorry I started investing in new equipment. I should have stayed a paper ham and stayed out of the hobby and off the air.
NO, you shouldn't have. Stayed a paper ham and QRT, that is. Where's the fun in that?

You're doing good. And we've all had limitations at one time or another. Stay the course.

W3WN
03-03-2021, 04:03 PM
Nothing is off with me nor am I putting anything down, only pointing out lower expected results and showing how an expert, Gordon West did it better. Sue knows all about Gordo, his radio school, and study manuals. IIRC she was present during his presentation. What is off is Sue's taking it all wrong. Now if you read over the thread about getting a Johnson Thunderbolt on the air you'll see how my constructive criticism of a few points were taken THE RIGHT WAY as intended. As a result the amp is purring right along and the owner is right pleased with it and pleased with ME, the only one who helped him.
Your intentions may be noble. Your delivery, in this case at least, leaves a lot to be desired.

kb2vxa
03-05-2021, 04:53 AM
I see where you're coming from, now for where I'M coming from. My physical problems, now with coughing up blood on top of them has me feeling like I'm being run over by a bus. Then on the other side of the coin is Sue, all I shall say so not to be offensive, I've known her for many years, long before either of us came here, so I know things about her both + and - that you'll never know. She hasn't read anything since the paper ham comment, nor has she answered my PM and likely hasn't been here to have read it. Make of this what you will, I'm in no mood for further discourse.

KB2SFH
03-05-2021, 08:23 AM
I see where you're coming from, now for where I'M coming from. My physical problems, now with coughing up blood on top of them has me feeling like I'm being run over by a bus. Then on the other side of the coin is Sue, all I shall say so not to be offensive, I've known her for many years, long before either of us came here, so I know things about her both + and - that you'll never know. She hasn't read anything since the paper ham comment, nor has she answered my PM and likely hasn't been here to have read it. Make of this what you will, I'm in no mood for further discourse.

I have seen every post but I just don't feel like responding to them. I'm a tired person from constant life drama and don't have the emotional strength anymore after all these years of trying to defend myself and explain myself to family, coworkers, bosses for every single single thing

WZ7U
03-05-2021, 06:55 PM
It's ok with me, you don't need to explain anything. You just do what you need to do for you and don't worry one bit about anyone else. Explain nothing. You earned it. It's just nice to have you back.

N8YX
03-06-2021, 09:43 AM
It's ok with me, you don't need to explain anything. You just do what you need to do for you and don't worry one bit about anyone else. Explain nothing. You earned it. It's just nice to have you back.

Pretty much this. :bbh:

W3WN
03-08-2021, 06:51 AM
Ditto.