PDA

View Full Version : Things That Make You Go "Hmmmmmmmmm", July 2020 Edition

W3WN
07-20-2020, 09:46 PM
So, the other day, I was searching around various sites for a particular item. (Don't worry about what, not important right now)

Among the places I looked was Gigaparts. Nice price on the item, but it's listed as Out of Stock, and they're not taking back orders. OK.

So today, I get an email from Gigaparts automation, asking me if I've thought about it, and how about a special offer to induce me to buy?

A whole, whopping 3% off. (That will save me about $3.30). If I buy today. On an item that's not in stock and that they're not taking back orders on.

An incentive to buy an item, today, that they've already told me they won't sell me, today.

Way to go, Gigaparts! :clap:

WZ7U
07-20-2020, 11:22 PM
Oops. Sounds like right hand is grabbing ass while left hand is running off a batch.

Is there a way to talk to an actual person there? Maybe drop an email to let them know how it went. Or try Terraparts, they have a factor more parts.

KG4CGC
07-21-2020, 01:08 AM
Oops. Sounds like right hand is grabbing ass while left hand is running off a batch.

Is there a way to talk to an actual person there? Maybe drop an email to let them know how it went. Or try Terraparts, they have a factor more parts.

I had to see if it was real.

It's real.

https://www.terraparts.com/

WZ7U
07-21-2020, 01:19 AM
:-D :lol:
I was making a funny about going from giga to terra and look what I get. LOL

What a weird event Ron. It really shows how fragile our systems are. Or can get.

W3WN
07-21-2020, 06:37 AM
Well, I'm more amused than anything.

Coding issue, you see. Someone didn't allow for the possibility that the widget in question was currently unavailable.

But it is a touch disturbing to realize how you are being monitored online. Clearly the system "remembered" me doing the daily drawing entry. Another sign that what little personal privacy you (and your data) were thought to have are crumbling away, little by little.

WZ7U
07-21-2020, 10:21 AM
I have two friends who won't have anything to do with the internet for that very reason. Knda smart in retrospect.

N8YX
07-21-2020, 12:37 PM
Clearly the system "remembered" me doing the daily drawing entry.
Cookies and browser history are a thing, and so is the data analysis engine which warehouses and processes such.

The answer you seek is termed separation of function. Multiple systems for multiple things, and throwaway IP addresses - proxied if possible - for general surfing and 'Net interaction. Ditto throwaway email accounts.

One which is never used for anything else if you play on the Book of Faces. Likewise Twitter.

W3WN
07-21-2020, 04:29 PM
I have never trusted Faceplant. No desire to ever have an account with those data-suckers.

kb2vxa
07-22-2020, 06:01 AM
Faceplant, that's a good one! I don't mingle with the twits either, it only got worse since it became contaminated by Agent Orange. I'm not so sure the corporate data miners that remember my on line purchases actually mine my data, Firefox cleans out cookies and history when each session closes so there's nothing to mine. It's more like they remember what I entered (I hold no accounts) at checkout. For that reason throwaway e-mail, proxies, and even a VPN are useless. Privacy isn't being eroded, it vanishes about a decade ago, and it isn't just the Internet, (e-mail too unless you use encryption) when you step out the door Big Brother is watching you. Things that go bump in the night are the real men in black.

KG4CGC
07-22-2020, 12:17 PM
Does anyone have a cellphone?

WZ7U
07-22-2020, 01:48 PM
Unfortunately

KG4CGC
07-22-2020, 02:15 PM
Because if you do, everything you say is picked up by the mic. Every place you go is tracked. Timed. Noted and stored.
Anytime you use a device, whether it is a tablet, laptop, desktop, etc, the proximity of your phone can link you to that device, and also, based on what sites you visit on that device. It's a game of 1+1=3.
That means while there could be dozens of people in your proximity using FB, IG and Twitter, once you're at a site like say, Hamis Land for example, that's considered a match towards the profile linked to you and your habits.
While most of the time it really doesn't matter, each of us is considered a potential criminal in the search for enemies against the state. The real problems for us start when we have a POTUS that could use this information to punish people who are against his reelection.
Back in the 90's there was much talk of overzealous law enforcers using technology to circumvent the Constitution to make arrests and convictions and have the ability to manipulate the data they obtain. Today it is a very real threat.
It sounds crazy. Right? Look where we are today. We have an outlaw POTUS and his party won't do a thing to reign him in.

WZ7U
07-22-2020, 03:39 PM
Minority Report anyone? :irked:

kb2vxa
07-26-2020, 05:44 AM
These days paranoia is protection, when you stop for a minute and think there are ways to preserve your personal freedom. Of course there is no way to avoid cameras, just be thankful they're not linked to The Central Scrutinizer (to borrow from Frank Zappa) like London where New Scotland Yard can track an individual anywhere in the city above and below ground. That having been said there are other parts of your asses that can be covered like the Internet. Cutting to the quick, a VPN gives an encrypted tunnel end to end, Big Brother can only know the server on the far end, never you if you have a good one that keeps no logs, and even the VPN won't know anything about you if you pay in cryptocurrency. Then there is encrypted e-mail, if you generate your own certs you're completely anymouse (spelling intentional) to all but those you correspond with. Lastly if you don't want your face in the book don't be a twit, avoid social media, social distancing far far away. I really didn't have to tell you all this, now did I?

PA5COR
07-26-2020, 07:38 AM
I don't use social media, phone has bluetooth out permanently, Using anonymous browsers filled with extra gadgets to stay anonymous, tv off the internet, phone used to make calls if needed and as travel companion connected to car system running music or stuff on the nav system.
Even being care full the outside world has enough knowledge about you.
I try to limit that as far i can including having killed off the phone home W 10 gadgets and stuff .
No need to give it for free is it?

HUGH
07-27-2020, 08:45 AM
Google seems to be everywhere on Android cellphones so I remove any maps or tracking pertaining to Google, I know where I've been and don't need a reminder. I found a locator map application that's handy (in case I'm lost in the fog on a Welsh hillside?, not likely) and has no connection with the Big Boys.

It seems very hard to whittle down all the unwanted apps on a cellphone without closing it down completely.

WØTKX
07-27-2020, 10:53 AM
My new (used) SmartyPhone asked me how I liked Burger King. Hey man, I had a coopin! :dunno:
Found the Nav App settings to turn off. It's a Pixel 3 Google Monster Phone.

https://nuegreen.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/google-monster.png

KG4CGC
07-27-2020, 03:53 PM
The Pixel 3XL is a good phone. I'm waiting for the 5XL. No "a" models. I've been eligible for an upgrade since mid this month.

n6hcm
07-27-2020, 09:52 PM
I'm waiting for the 5XL.

so am i, but the rumor is that there won't be a 5xl ... just a 5. :(

my original 3xl suffered from battery expansion, so google replaced it (just a few days after the warranty had expired).

KG4CGC
07-28-2020, 01:28 AM
so am i, but the rumor is that there won't be a 5xl ... just a 5. :(

my original 3xl suffered from battery expansion, so google replaced it (just a few days after the warranty had expired).

Well, let's hope it's big enough for old people. XLplus anyone?