PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarianism

HUGH
07-06-2020, 03:50 PM
British citizens in the Victorian era often suffered from gastric aliments including constipation. Just as today, consumption of excess meat was blamed for much of this and, of course, the suggestion was lampooned by the cartoonists of the day.

The wealthy resorted to their pharmacists to cure constipation, most of the pills and potions contained a high proportion of soap, the lesser folk drank a great deal of beer which is a fine cure. The upper echelons would often retreat to Spa towns to drink the mineral waters, these having some content of hydrogen sulphide, smelling and tasting foul but a splendid purge.

That's my contribution to divert attention away from the current putrid politics in the US for 5 minutes.

KC2KFC
07-06-2020, 05:31 PM
I eat very little red meat these days, mostly chicken and turkey for protein. We have a woman at work who is vegan. She is 62, but looks about 40. There is definitely something to be said for increasing fruit and veg and reducing meat.

kb2vxa
07-07-2020, 04:34 AM
The food here sucks so eating little of something that looks like meat is easy. Red meat I haven't seen in a long time, the kitchen monkeys turn it into something a shoemaker (Remember those?) could use for soles. Restaurants have chefs, diners have cooks,we have kitchen monkeys. Chicken legs are OK, I don't know what they do with the rest of the chicken, and turkey breast is debatable, sometimes OK, other times you can tie it to a stick and use it as a hammer. Veggies are slightly undercooked making them cripsy except for the sweet potato purée.

That having been said, the cartoon somehow made me think of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNqSpuN2GFE

PA5COR
07-07-2020, 09:28 AM
Eating less meat as well, though I'll never give up, cooking most meals myself here for us from absolute fresh products from my plot of land or a local butcher i know for decades, cost a bit more but quality is what i want.
Dropped my BMI under 25 the last year, and aiming at a BMI of 20 or so, gave up on snacks and cookie stuff, just portioned my meals better and get more exercise.
Took off 45 pounds the last 2 years, 12 pounds in the last 6 months.

KG4CGC
07-07-2020, 12:44 PM
Oatmeal deserves a mention.

PA5COR
07-07-2020, 03:48 PM
^ Stuff that.....:yuck::mrgreen:

KG4CGC
07-07-2020, 05:22 PM
Sometimes I eat it dry, raw with just a club soda to wash it down.

WZ7U
07-07-2020, 08:28 PM
Shit, I do the same thing except without the club soda. Usually a coke and a smile.

WØTKX
07-07-2020, 11:29 PM
I make giant 1" thick 12" oatmeal pancakes with berries bananas, and extra egg.

Really fun to pan flip 'em. Cut in quarter slices like pizza, top with butter.
I put them in Tupperware to save for tomorrow's breakfast.

kb2vxa
07-13-2020, 04:55 AM
You guys are worse than the kitchen monkeys in this place. DRY oatmeal? BLECH!!! I get oatmeal occasionally and like it, gluten is good for you when you're not using it for wallpaper paste. Mostly I get cream of something that once was wheat, lump city, PATOO go the lumps. I miss growing up in Rahway, NJ when the noise floor was so low I could hear a fly fart in Moscow, the Wheatena plant (1907-1967) was 4 blocks away, and when the wind was right the smell was heavenly. Merck was 5 blocks away and occasionally fought back with rotten onions.

KG4CGC
07-13-2020, 07:01 AM
I make giant 1" thick 12" oatmeal pancakes with berries bananas, and extra egg.

Really fun to pan flip 'em. Cut in quarter slices like pizza, top with butter.
I put them in Tupperware to save for tomorrow's breakfast.

Hey Dave, ya ever take a raw clove of garlic and bit into it followed by an anchovy after a 2 or 3 chews of the garlic?
Ya ever chase that down with an IPA so cold it was just on the brink of freezing had you not just picked up the tankard?

WØTKX
07-13-2020, 07:54 AM
Hey Dave, ya ever take a raw clove of garlic and bit into it followed by an anchovy after a 2 or 3 chews of the garlic?
Ya ever chase that down with an IPA so cold it was just on the brink of freezing had you not just picked up the tankard?

Not quite, but a garlic pizza with anchovies, olives and mushrooms? Yummy. Not a fan of IPA, but a good Dunkelweiss, and thenkewveddymuch.

KG4CGC
07-13-2020, 01:31 PM
Well the IPA flavor hits hard against the anchovy and garlic in a most interesting way. Batsquatch by Rogue served within a micro fine hair of freezing. Also a good beer to pair with cheese.

WØTKX
07-13-2020, 03:14 PM
Hops are good, I don't mind the taste. But I discovered hoppy beers give me a headache, quickly.

Probable allergy. I prefer crisp Weißbier and always have. Not sweet, dammit. Like dry wine.

Secret shame? Coors "Banquet" in the screw top cans.

Yes, ®ight wing beer. And Koch TP too. It's cheap!

Remember:

I thusly do pee
Coors with glee
Wipe my ass
With Koch and extra smelly!

KG4CGC
07-13-2020, 05:25 PM
But back to chew dry oats ....