PDA

View Full Version : Fun Project for the next couple days

kb2crk
06-28-2020, 07:06 AM

Pulled the trans out of my truck. Time for a rebuild. The old A833 OD has seen better days. Was hoping to get it done today but with some parts not in the kit it will be waiting. It only has 489,000 miles on it.

KG4CGC
06-28-2020, 11:52 AM
I take it you've done this before.

N8YX
06-28-2020, 03:04 PM
That's no fun if you don't have a lift.

kb2crk
06-28-2020, 05:56 PM
I take it you've done this before.

I Have done it with Automatics. This will be my first Manual rebuild. Can't be to much different from Industrial gearboxes of which I have rebuilt a few.

kb2crk
06-28-2020, 05:59 PM
That's no fun if you don't have a lift.
Truck is on a set of ramps and I pulled it on a floor jack. I would love to have a lift.

KG4CGC
06-28-2020, 06:03 PM
Manual should be a breeze. Not that I've done one. I have not. I can only rely on what the locals say.

N8YX
06-29-2020, 08:36 AM
Manual should be a breeze. Not that I've done one. I have not. I can only rely on what the locals say.
Speaking in terms of motorcycle transmissions, they're a lot easier to work on than automatics. In some cases (HD, for example) you need some special disassembly/assembly tools but an enterprising individual can make these in a machine shop if need be.

AA1OH
06-30-2020, 10:16 AM
I had the same transmission in my 70 Challenger. Nothing odd in it other than the oil pump (front two gears in constant mesh have 3 holes drilled into the counter shaft gear) and the fact that for the cars you use only ATF. Even on my 440 sixpack. Truck might be different. And check your shift forks, I had one break off on me.

kb2crk
06-30-2020, 03:15 PM
I had the same transmission in my 70 Challenger. Nothing odd in it other than the oil pump (front two gears in constant mesh have 3 holes drilled into the counter shaft gear) and the fact that for the cars you use only ATF. Even on my 440 sixpack. Truck might be different. And check your shift forks, I had one break off on me.
Truck calls for 80w90 and unlike your 70 Challenger has an Aluminum case and an Overdrive 4th. I will be pulling the case apart in the morning. Had to order a plug for the countershaft which is only needed on the OD.

AA1OH
07-01-2020, 11:14 AM
I also had a aluminum OD and bell housing in my 64 Valiant slant 6 conv. Put it in my self. Never had to pull it apart. The cast iron one I did rebuild. I did think long and hard about putting OD gears in the Challenger (4:10 Dana 60) but it is a numbers matching. Not so much the 64.

kb2crk
07-01-2020, 02:48 PM
Well off to get a used trans tomorrow. I found one two hours away from me. Got the old one torn down and found a couple issues. Major issue 1 was the input shaft had significant wear where it meets the main shaft. The main shaft was just badly worn where it mated with the input shaft rollers. The 3/4 slider had wear and brass build up from the grenaded syncro. Also found that the trans was not original. It was a rebuilt unit from Man-trans in Florida. That was not in the receipts that came with the truck so I would assume it was done by one of the used car dealers that had it in its life. Shame is an used input shaft is amost as much as a used trans. I will put the rebuild kit on the shelf for when the the next trans gives issues.

PA5COR
07-02-2020, 02:29 AM
That sucks....

kb2crk
07-02-2020, 05:46 AM
That sucks....

Yes it does. 4 hour round trip this morning to get a used transmission. Good part is that one was available. Replacement shafts are as much as the used trans and either used or reconditioned. Well time to get going.

kb2crk
07-02-2020, 02:08 PM
Back home with the used transmission. Anybody need a 318/340/360 v8 bell housing. at 95 degrees is is a bit warm to stick it in today. I will swap the bell housing and put it in tomorrow. Nice low mileage trans that has been sitting i their warehouse for a while.

VK1EA
07-04-2020, 09:02 AM
You have all the bits ready?

When I moved to VK my employer offered to pay "a door to door 40 ft container". So I ended bringing the Defender, the camping trailer and a pile of tools instead of furniture.

I thought it would take me like three months to convert it from LHD to RHD... but it ended being four years and three months...

kb2crk
07-04-2020, 03:23 PM
The truck lives. The Used transmission is in great shape. The shifting is smooth and easy. I did discover that the trans that came out was a crappy rebuild. The old transmission had the wrong first gear for the 6 cylinder where this newer one has the right first even though it came out of a V8 truck. No more 35 mph in first, 25 is the new limit. The truck had the wrong U-joint at the rear of the driveshaft. replacing that with the right one made the 65 mph vibration go away. Man-trans (the rebuilder of the old trans) had the wrong shifter arms on the side of the trans. I have only had the truck for the last 94000 miles of its life. The rest of the miles were well documented except for a couple years. I am guessing in the couple of years is where the wrong rebuilt trans, U-joint and the computer removal took place. It sure is nice to pull off the line without having to feather the clutch. The 3.09 first makes a difference when compared to the 2.47 that crappy rebuild had in it. The wife is extra happy as I don't need to use her car to get to work.

kb2crk
07-04-2020, 03:32 PM
You have all the bits ready?

When I moved to VK my employer offered to pay "a door to door 40 ft container". So I ended bringing the Defender, the camping trailer and a pile of tools instead of furniture.

I thought it would take me like three months to convert it from LHD to RHD... but it ended being four years and three months...

I have a project like that.... This year will be spent working on her.. The truck ate into my project time. The truck is the daily driver..... Nessie on the other hand is my 76 Travco Mahal Motorhome. It is time to put the EFI in her and do some remodeling to get a queen bed in her. New AC seals and clearance lights on the roof with many other improvements. I am planning on replacing the roof rack with solar panels. That will start next weekend again.

VK1EA
07-04-2020, 09:12 PM
A queen bed? now I'm really envious.

WØTKX
07-05-2020, 11:24 AM
A queen bed? now I'm really envious.

Don't you go falling in love, Clark.

kb2crk
07-06-2020, 10:49 AM
Don't you go falling in love, Clark.
Cousin Eddie had a Ford Condor....

kb2crk
07-11-2020, 03:24 PM
Well it has been a week and the old girl is shifting great. I should be set for a few more miles. People think I am nuts for driving a 34 year old truck with almost 500,000 miles on it as a daily driver. The 80 miles a day just adds up even more. The old girl has never left me stranded. It is easy to fix or even rig something up to get it home. I am afraid to check the compression on the old 225ci (3.7l) inline six as has probably dropped off over the miles. The 1 barrel carburetor needs some new gaskets and there are a few other issues but she keeps chugging along. I have begun a search for a decent used engine that can be mildly worked up as the old one leaks and burns a bit of oil. But she just keep rolling.