PDA

View Full Version : Pox on the creator of Windows 10

koØm
04-09-2020, 02:23 PM
Damn Bill Gates and Microsoft to Hell and back again!

I knew back when, that Windows 10 did not have drivers to support some of the hardware installed in my PC and the peripherals dangling off of them. By choice, I continued to use Windows 7 which, allowed me to run dual monitors on my PC. I only used that PC in the radio room digital modes.

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 on what is now considered a "Legacy" piece of equipment which, is undeserving of support because of some bullshit Vertical Marketing strategy based on "Design Obsolescent".

Now, my sound card and display adapter are stuck in some default driver mode that doesn't allow me to manipulate the inputs; Windows 10 (appears) has turned my inputs into output ports on my sound card and, I cannot extend my desktop, only mirror it on the other monitor. That has messed my amateur radio enjoyment.

Damn you Microsoft!

KC2KFC
04-09-2020, 03:31 PM
Hence the reason it is called Winblows.

W3WN
04-09-2020, 04:55 PM
Can you revert to Win 7?
Damn Bill Gates and Microsoft to Hell and back again!

I knew back when, that Windows 10 did not have drivers to support some of the hardware installed in my PC and the peripherals dangling off of them. By choice, I continued to use Windows 7 which, allowed me to run dual monitors on my PC. I only used that PC in the radio room digital modes.

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 on what is now considered a "Legacy" piece of equipment which, is undeserving of support because of some bullshit Vertical Marketing strategy based on "Design Obsolescent".

Now, my sound card and display adapter are stuck in some default driver mode that doesn't allow me to manipulate the inputs; Windows 10 (appears) has turned my inputs into output ports on my sound card and, I cannot extend my desktop, only mirror it on the other monitor. That has messed my amateur radio enjoyment.

Damn you Microsoft!

koØm
04-09-2020, 10:12 PM
Can you revert to Win 7?

That's my next to last option; I'm gonna drink a few cups of coffee over the next couple of days and make a decision, gonna investigate:

Buying a sound card that is Win-10 compatible.
Upgrading the Display Adapter.
Figuring out why my Digital mode are not working
Reverting to Win 7
Deciding that it has reached, 'The point of diminishing returns' and donate it to someone.

Oh, not necessarily in that order!

kb2vxa
04-10-2020, 04:48 AM
Ah yes, good old Windblows and planned obsolescence, I can't afford ~$2G to build a new machine so when Minya became the new Godzilla I stopped with W7 and I'm STILL happy with it. There's a new line of Intel CPUs that if you like Windblows you'll find it only supports the latest edition of W10 that makes an install a bit tricky, but there is an easy solution, they support Linux and Mac. Yes friends, Micro$haft has a new bed mate, Silicon Valley.

N8YX
04-11-2020, 10:00 AM
Get yourself enough CPU, RAM and disk space to run a host OS plus virtual machines. Then put Win7 in a VM.

My original thread "First post from Windows 10 System" in here didn't age so well. What I ended up doing is to set this system up with dual SSDs then configured it to dual-boot and installed Mint 19.3 Tricia (64 bit) as the host OS, selectable via BIOS as the UEFI boot device. Windows 10 now runs on the 'legacy' (MBR-partitioned) drive/file system and as a guest inside VirtualBox. The VB setup also features installations of Windows 7 (both 32 and 64 bit), Windows XP (32 bit), Windows 98SE and FreeDOS. I'm eventually going to create VMs for OS/2 Warp 4 Server, EcommStation and Windows 8.1. With every OS that supports multiple monitors, VirtualBox handles this just fine. And it's got pretty decent network/multimedia peripheral support too.

W3WN
04-11-2020, 08:19 PM
That's my next to last option; I'm gonna drink a few cups of coffee over the next couple of days and make a decision, gonna investigate:

Buying a sound card that is Win-10 compatible.
Upgrading the Display Adapter.
Figuring out why my Digital mode are not working
Reverting to Win 7
Deciding that it has reached, 'The point of dimin returns' and donate it to someone.

Oh, not necessarily in that order!i accept donations. Just sayin’...

Does the card manufacturer make a Win X driver available? If so, did you download and try it?

KJ3N
04-12-2020, 10:43 AM
Your hardware must be ancient.

I've installed W10 on 2 motherboards that are nearly 11 years old. Specifically, this MB: https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/archive/Core/G45/C2SEA.cfm

All the built-in hardware, which includes 5 channel sound and dual display capabilities, works just fine.

There comes a point where you have to move on. Both of the above MBs are headed for electronic recycling, once this lockdown is over. Several old PC cases, old HDs (that still work) and old plug-in cards are also in the pile.

If you have a usable PC case, new hardware is reasonably affordable. Gut the inside and move up to something made in the last 2-3 years.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." - Dennis Miller

NM5TF
04-21-2020, 04:10 PM
there is always Linux....look at MX-Linux....

https://mxlinux.org/

koØm
04-22-2020, 11:21 AM
Your hardware must be ancient.

I've installed W10 on 2 motherboards that are nearly 11 years old. Specifically, this MB: https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/archive/Core/G45/C2SEA.cfm

All the built-in hardware, which includes 5 channel sound and dual display capabilities, works just fine.

There comes a point where you have to move on. Both of the above MBs are headed for electronic recycling, once this lockdown is over. Several old PC cases, old HDs (that still work) and old plug-in cards are also in the pile.

If you have a usable PC case, new hardware is reasonably affordable. Gut the inside and move up to something made in the last 2-3 years.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." - Dennis Miller

Yup, it's time to move on............

koØm
04-22-2020, 11:26 AM
i accept donations. Just sayin’...

Does the card manufacturer make a Win X driver available? If so, did you download and try it?

GeForce 6600 is considered a legacy product, not compatible with Windows so, generic drivers make it work but does not unlock all of the features.

Rent a U-haul and let me know when you will be arriving.

koØm
04-23-2020, 08:01 PM
Yup, it's time to move on............

........To another cup of Coffee.

In the immortal words of Scarlet O'Hara, "Tomorrow is another day."

I pulled and re-installed the auxiliary sound card; at no time did my hands leave my body but, PRESTO -- inputs and outputs ported in correct directions and now, FT-8 is being decoded -- "FM"! (Fuggin' Magic!)

The issue with the Video card is still there but, I really don't NEED two screens to work radio, the second was parked on QRZ so that I could look up the name behind the call and insert it in my RRR-73's message.

Never say "Die" until there is no more Coffee to mull my problems over.

WØTKX
04-23-2020, 08:52 PM
That's good. Got my old dual Core AMD with an AGP GeForce 6200 running with Bodhi Linux.
About a week ago. Still needs tweaking and a few more apps, but it's good.
Using the Brave Browser.

Sooooo, this pox is the fault of Bill Gates or Obama?

Or both? Asking for a friend. :mrgreen:

n2ize
05-15-2020, 08:33 AM
Run Windows 7 on a Virtual Machine. Or run Linux on a virtual machine.

kb2vxa
05-16-2020, 05:28 AM
My main OS is W7 Ultimate because I like it, I used W10 on another machine for a time, don't like it. I have XP on the Virtual Box to run some legacy Amateur Radio apps that served well. I'm not one to keep up with the Kardashians, I stay with what works well for me until the bitter end. That's me, but there are two ways to mix and match systems, main / virtual and dual boot, you can do so much with so little.

I ran my NVIDIA GeForce GT610 video card into the ground, the fan died, so I replaced it with the 710 fanless card, bye bye weak link. I don't know why the drivers refused to install, no matter, it works just fine with the 610 drivers. Both support a dual monitor system, I had one I found extremely useful before I landed in these cramped quarters. The main monitor runs off the DVI port, the auxiliary off the VGA port, and in the middle is an HDMI port for connection to your TV with a screen as big as Texas.

koØm
05-19-2020, 08:47 PM
My DVR (Pentium 4 in living room) is running Win7, my laptop with my terminal programs and Putty is running Vista; the Win-10 machine (Duo-Core) with my LoTW / Radio life; I have a 2012 15 inch MBP running Ubuntu 14.05 and decoding Trunked Radio Scanner traffic, My DVR Client (Quad -core) machine which delivers TV and content to my bedroom is Win-10.

My traveling computers are either a 2015 MBP or a Touch screen Dell (Quad-Core) running Win-10.