PDA

View Full Version : FL2100B

KC9ECI
03-01-2020, 08:57 AM
Several years ago, I embarked with my bride on the 100 Mile Yard Sale. It primarily runs up along the east coast of Minnesota and the west coast of Wisconsin. Our first stop was in Winona, MN. I'm wandering about a cluttered garage, not really seeing anything that interests me, when I accidentally hit a box under a table with my foot. It's labeled with a price tag of $40 and has a Shure microphone sitting in it along with a rats nest of wires and other knick knacks. I decide to take a closer look. There's a Yaesu FL2100B amp in the bottom. I didn't hesitate. I grabbed it, nearly herniated myself, and threw my money at the lady running the sale as I fled the scene with my loot. I got it home, took it to my shack, where it sat. And sat, and sat. I was a little afraid to plug it in. I didn't have a variac and didn't know how long it had been sitting. When we moved this summer, I lugged the thing to the new house, and down the steps to my basement shack. I probably should have had help. Cut to a few weeks ago, I was a few whiskeys in and threw caution to the wind. I plugged it in. No smoke. I let it sit for a day like that, keeping an eye on it. Seemed OK. Last week I ordered a keying interface, a resonant antenna and a few other things I probably didn't need. Friday after work I hooked it all up. Thing runs like a champ. I have to build a riser at work Monday to get the monitor off it and open up the ventilation.

N8YX
03-01-2020, 05:26 PM
Damn nice find.

I was after a 2100Z (which matches the FT-901/902/101Z series) for many years. This past December I found one (early model; no WARC bands) on eBay.

Next step is to get a WARC-band version and maybe a 2100B to round out my FL/FR-101 station.

koØm
03-02-2020, 01:25 PM
Got a resource for 572b's ? Seems that they are made of "Unobtainium".

KC9ECI
03-02-2020, 04:53 PM
https://www.rfparts.com/tubes/tubes-572b.html

WØTKX
03-02-2020, 09:29 PM
There was a shortage a few years ago. RF Parts (and others) worked to fix it.

A little more money now, but isn't everything? Except gasoline. For now.

Nice amp.

KC9ECI
03-03-2020, 05:59 AM
Thanks. Tubes are a bit soft, thinking I might order up a set next fall.

kb2vxa
03-03-2020, 07:19 AM
I found something interesting, the 572 line is a fork of the 811 line, the 572B and 811A have the same specs. I did a little preview shopping and found the "Taylor" brand sold by RF Parts are made by Shuguang that raises a big ? because my experience with Chinese parts is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. (Credit to Forest Gump) The Svetlana tubes that I swear by have been discontinued, I don't know why, I haven't bought tubes in a while. Then I came across DX Engineering in oHIo. Since they are house brand the manufacturer is unknown, they got rave reviews, but one "Obscene shipping charges. They shipped a part to me in a 9" x 12" x 4" box and charged me $12.95 when it could've been put in a padded envelop for $1.83. More on Yelp

So, the bottom line here is the same as with anything; Mama said, mama said, you better shop around.

N8YX
03-03-2020, 10:22 AM
Then I came across DX Engineering in oHIo. Since they are house brand the manufacturer is unknown, they got rave reviews, but one "Obscene shipping charges. They shipped a part to me in a 9" x 12" x 4" box and charged me $12.95 when it could've been put in a padded envelop for $1.83. More on Yelp.
Their HQ - co-located with Summit Racing - is about 20min from my QTH, and a good friend (I was his Elmer) works at DXE. I can drive there and pick things up but every trip I make turns expen$ive (I'm also a gearhead).

I now have 4 amps which use 572Bs. Probably ought to pick up another set or three before any more -2100s make their way to my door.

koØm
03-03-2020, 11:10 AM
There was a shortage a few years ago. RF Parts (and others) worked to fix it.

A little more money now, but isn't everything? Except gasoline. For now.

Nice amp.

Yeah, I know that there was a problem back when - when I order some and was shipped 811's branded as "572b's".

Did you notice that some of the 572b's offer by RF Parts were listed as "Vertical Mount Only" and that others are marketed as "Exact Copies" of Cetrons?

I have two Cetron 572b tubes in a Heath SB-200, in search of more.

KC9ECI
03-03-2020, 05:11 PM
I just ordered some stuff from DX E and got free shipping as it was over $100. A pair of tubes should get me that again if I go that route. I see there is a yaesu service bulletin about using the Taylors and a mod that needs to be made.

KG4CGC
03-03-2020, 06:35 PM
ECI, I was telling a 10m rt about your find last night. Congratulations came in from 4 counties.

WZ7U
03-03-2020, 10:05 PM
You guys have a 10m round table? :rock:

WØTKX
03-03-2020, 10:13 PM

I'm betting it's a rhombic.

KG4CGC
03-04-2020, 03:46 AM

Just a few guys, spread out across 4 counties (usually), jawjackin' and radioin'.

KG4CGC
03-04-2020, 03:49 AM
I'm betting it's a rhombic.

I use an inverted-V but clay-mation Sir Mix-Alot has this to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJtKZjDp2aE

N8YX
03-04-2020, 09:14 AM
Just a few guys, spread out across 4 counties (usually), jawjackin' and radioin'.

28.337 here. Stark, Summit, Portage, Wayne, Medina and Cuyahoga.

Listen for us when the band's up. My 10 through 12M position usually has a radio parked on that frequency, though the heater switch may not be turned on. I also listen to 28.400 and 28.405. (Wish there was a way to make the VFO-230 "scan", though I guess I could hook the DFC-230 to the rig instead.)

KC9ECI
03-05-2020, 05:21 PM
Tell them all thanks for the congrats. We do the occasional rt on 15M 21.320. It usually starts with someone keying up on the local 2M machine and migrates from there. You going in to Charlotte for the hamfest? I have a friend who lives about 20 minutes south of there in the Monroe area, so I'm kinda toying with the idea of flying down for a few days next year to visit and take in the hfest.

KG4CGC
03-06-2020, 05:13 PM
https://charlottehamfest.org/

I want to go. Old MFJ power supply is getting a bit long in the tooth. 10 years. 4035MV.
Need to talk ole WV6Z into going. It's quite a drive. Like driving to Charlotte ... but you keep going and and going it seems.

KC9ECI
03-08-2020, 01:22 PM
We are few and far between on swapmeets up here. The local club does on every August and it always lands on the Saturday that I'm tending bar at Irishfest and way too hungover to even attempt moving let along attending something like that so early in the day. The Eau Claire club always had an auction in March around my birthday but I can't find any indication that they're doing it this year. Anything wlse is typically hours and hours of driving away like Milwaukee or north of the Twin Cities. I do have plans to attend Hamvention this year assuming COVID-19 hasn't decimated the population by that time,