PDA

View Full Version : I am losing it!

koØm
12-02-2019, 02:48 PM
Super Glue that is.

I buy a tube of Super Glue, use some, put the cap back on and then, promptly proceed to misplace it; by the time I find it, it is dried up in the tube so, I have to get more.

*Smart me* sees a pack with 4 tubes of Super Glue, buys it, cracks one tube, uses some then I put on "used" container with the unopened three and........wait for it...

I mislay the pack containing all 4 containers of Super Glue.

The only upside will be, when I find them, at least three containers will still be good.

KG4CGC
12-02-2019, 11:57 PM
In an ideal world, labeled glass containers and shelves.
In a perfect world, same as above with apothecary drawers.

kb2vxa
12-03-2019, 07:40 AM
You have a memory like my memory, no memory. I used to write notes, then I'd forget where I put them. That was fixed when I bought a whole slew of small, strong, "doughnut" magnets to stick notes to the refrigerator, problem solved. Well, one problem solved, but another cropped up, a refrigerator covered with paper and magnets.

That having been said, forget the Super Glue. It's best used for what ethyl cyanoacrylate was developed for, sticking your fingers together. (surgical glue) There's no point in trying to save a partially used tube, it's hard as a rock in a week. It's only good on porous materials, liquid hide glue (one common brand is Gorilla Glue) serves that purpose, is cheaper, and the opened bottle lasts longer, much longer. Same for casein glue (Elmer's) and both are great for woodworking and require clamps like most strong glues. Thank the cows, hides, hooves, and milk for glue, milk and meat for food and bone for meal filler in McDonald's hamburgers. Gorilla Glue now comes in several formulas for different applications, I suggest you forget Super Glue and check the Internet for what the guy in the furry suit has to offer. Then leave the bottle in a prominent location you look at frequently.

At first Krazy Glue (same as Super Glue) was advertised by a "construction worker" hanging by his hard hat from an I beam and the package claimed it could be used for metal to metal. BUNK! I glued a small transformer that had no mounting tabs to the inside panel of a transmitter. All went well until it fell on the mains power/function switch and started a fire. Having taken yet another course in The School of Hard Knocks I mounted it with the frame from another transformer and two short self tapping screws like I should have done in the first place.

Lastly I suggest you make America grape again starting with your own house and habits. Develop coping skills like I have, one is a strong belief in there's a place for everything and everything in its place. Never EVER just set something down and walk away, not only does that lead to clutter, also you'll never find it again. Lay out those places logically, and when you're done with something put it back where you got it from. If you can't remember where you got it from you have Alzheimer's... (;->) make a list of places with a floor plan of your house and number them. Then when using #5 put it back in location #5, simple enough? Remember Mr. Douglas and his ditsy wife in Green Acres with the electric cords numbered? Yeah, like that. (;->) If you're not THAT scatterbrained and can count to 10 you'll remember where those places are as I do having learned to cope with forgetfulness.

koØm
12-05-2019, 02:47 PM
It's "Freudian" dang it, I swear it is.

I had two touch-up tasks, I required Super Glue and one required Silicone gasket sealant. I purchased both adhesives at the same time. When I got home, it took more time opening and closing the packages than it took to do the jobs. One dab of Silicone for insulation and one dab of Super Glue on a glass do-hickie. All of this takes place in the radio room where, I put everything back into it's place.

(Rhetorical question) How come, I can find the Silicone but not the Super Glue?

What makes it Freudian? I'm glad you asked, in my career of field service of onsite office equipment, I had this one team member (I followed him around fixing his fuck ups) who, would not properly do mechanical adjustments and, who had a bad habit of using Lock-tite and Super Glue instead for doing the proper repairs.

One good thing, while I haven't found the Super Glue, I did find the Ni-Cad battery charger!

W3WN
12-05-2019, 03:36 PM
< snip >
(Rhetorical question) How come, I can find the Silicone but not the Super Glue?
< snip >
Murphy’s Law

kb2vxa
12-06-2019, 09:54 AM
"What makes it Freudian?"
That's the question of the ages, the answer only fits a very narrow range of circumcisions... circumstances. Siggy was obsessed with his mother, a closet mother farker. If you want to call someone a dirty name that will keep them guessing call them a Freud. You're losing it, I lost it.

Murphy can be held in check by his arch nemesis Justin Case. Since I slammed Super Glue for being a rotter it goes into hiding whenever I'm around. Here goes round two, <ding> since it didn't bond with metal I have severe doubt it will with glass. Leave the glue alone, the charger is far more valuable. Completely changing the subject for no good reason... Speaking of chargers, Panasonic has a strange way of marketing AA, AAA Eneloop Ni MH cells and a smart charger that works with both that comes separately or loaded with 4 Eneloop AA cells "charged with solar power". Hmmm, sunlight shipped from Japan. The stocked charger is far less expensive than either bought separately.

Since my digital camera eats AA cells, and alkalines have no shelf life to speak of, I bought the smart charger stocked with 4 AA cells, so far so good. The charger is smart alright, it's a genius that rejects all but Ni MH cells and charges AA and AAA cells singly or in any combination and shuts each off when fully charged. As my need grew I bought a 4 pack of AAA cells and an 8 pack of AA cells, still so far so good. Since this Panasonic Eneloop commercial isn't on air I won't get in trouble with the FCC. (;->) For once I found a battery I swear by, not swear at!

One last commercial, this one for American Scientific & Surplus. This is an outfit you may like to keep your eyes on, the e-mail spam is actually useful. (;->) Aside from the silly junk I used to see advertised in the back pages of comic books they sell some pretty useful stuff at prices that can't be beat. I have a lighted magnifier and a very powerful adjustable metal body flashlight that puts Maglite to shame at a tenth of the price. Yeah, they're why the Eneloop AA 8 pack is sitting and waiting for the batteries that came with them to die. BTW white COB (chips on board) LEDs are the latest and greatest, that flashlight is like a hand arc light!

koØm
12-06-2019, 10:49 PM
Slightly of topic:

"....no shelf life......"

I have resided in my present commode abode for over 25 years, there is a 60 watt incandescent bulb installed in the hall light fixture which, doesn't get powered on for more than 5 or 10 minutes total per year. The light bulb was here when I moved in and, I predict, the filament with less than 250 hours on it right now, will still be intact and glowing when I move.

ETA:

Edited to bring this back closer to home, too bad the opened container of Super glue doesn't last more than a few applications (or have the life span of my 60 watt bulb) after the first time you use it if, like me, you hide it from yourself.

KG4CGC
12-07-2019, 12:47 AM
Mel, try the Loctite™ brand in a small but wide plastic bottle with squeezers on the sides. They're just black tabs and work like buttons. I've been carrying some in my riding backpack for over a year and it is still in like new condition and ready to be used right now. Of note, it is the gel form of super glue.

kb2vxa
12-07-2019, 07:41 AM
Starting with the lost Super Glue, it would have met a bitter end with the transformer fiasco if fate had not intervened and pissed me off again. A small plastic part cried out for a suitable adhesive that should have been modeling cement but for unavailability locally. The job fell to one drop of Stupid Glue that came in 4 packs only. All that for ONE LOUSY DROP? RRROOOWWWRRR!!! It just WOULD have to be the only readily available adhesive that bonds well with acetate. <sigh>

Remember Testor's airplane glue that came with Revell kits? Remember Lloyd Bridges in Airplane "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue."? Yeah, it was like that with a model airplane kit some relative gave me. Between the tedious job of breaking parts off a "tree", sticking them together, and doing it up close to see what I was doing, getting stoned in the process, halfway through it went into the trash basket. I tried the glue with the same brand that replaced it for other plastic purposes, it didn't work well at all.

Now off on another tangent, light bulb life. In 1901 the tungsten, or for COR our European, wolfram coiled coil filament in a rarified argon atmosphere hadn't been invented yet, bulbs were carbon filaments in a vacuum. As an aside I found one and kept it as a conversation piece only lighting it for display. That was before "planned obsolescence" entered the vocabulary, things were built to last, like the Centennial Bulb hanging in Station 6 of the Livermore-Pleasenton, CA Fire Department. How about a bulb with over a million hours on it? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_Light Sorry Erick, that beats your almost never on bulb that has an exceptionally long... shelf life. (;->)

PA5COR
12-07-2019, 10:54 AM
Planned obsolescence took care of the lifespan of the light bulb life.
Normal over the counter ( if you still can get them) tungsten lightbulbs last 1000 hours, though i still have a Phillips "armour" version of a 15 watt light bulb for the army that last 5000 hours+ and already has that much burn hours and still goes strong.
Same for LED bulbs, you can get el cheapo's with 15.000 hours and limited on/off switching, or good brand ones guaranteing 50.000 hours and unlimited on/off cycles.
The last ones are more expensive, quality of the light is better as well, i use the last ones, pay a bit more for quality.
35 years back Phillips came with the first energy saving lamp, fluorescent with a large glass housing around it, still works after approximately 25.000 hours running.
TL lights here all replaced with LED, from 40 watts TL lamps to 18 watts LED same strength in light.
Rest is all replaced with LED, just the light in the oven and microwave is tungsten 15 watt, heat resistent.
Even light in the frezer/fridge is LED.
Outside light, as well permanent hall light, strips of LEDs fed by or solar panel and old car battery or the old unused doorbell transformer.
Use of electricity for 2 persons is 2700 KW/H a year.

No central heating, just 2 gas heaters, 700 cubic meters gas use a year, washing up, showers, and heating.
Compared to the same houses with central heating they use 1400 cubic meters gas a year.
Good insulated house, double glass down and upstairs, floor insulating, double wall insulating.
Normal temperature in the house is kept at 18 to 19 C, which is warm enough for both of us.
Which takes our energy bill to 130 euro's a month, mostly getting 300 euro's back end of year.

WØTKX
12-07-2019, 03:21 PM
American Science and Surplus, item ad copy by Warren?

https://www.sciplus.com/productImages/Regular/50553.jpg

I kid, I kid. :neener:

kb2vxa
12-08-2019, 11:35 AM
Now you don't have to worry about losing it now that you found American Science and Surplus. Jarvis, the weirdo with the fan on his back sells some mighty strange things, I'm not surprised by the disposable paper underwear. In true weirdo style he calls things by weird names like hinting they're used for (diarrhea) emergencies. Maybe he doesn't know that Depends don't leak. (;->) I've been trying to wean you off Super Glue and direct you to better adhesives, now you'll find them at ASAS while they last. I mentioned wood glue, I found paint-able wood glue/filler there, but for filler I have always used Plastic Wood, a putty made from sawdust. I also found something any ham contemplating a tower, a 500ft spool of PVC coated galvanized steel cable for $34.50 https://www.sciplus.com/pvc-coated-aircraft-cable-500-foot-spool--54983-p or for one also used as a radiator such as a grounded vertical folded monopole, 50ft lengths of 2650lb test "battle cord" for $10 each. Using non-conductive guys saves the expense of ceramic egg insulators breaking up steel rope into non-resonant lengths. Last but least, it's about time somebody started selling comfortable men's underwear! Jockey shorts; Por favor no rompas mis huevos! Boxer shorts; It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing... doo wa doo wa doo wa? Duluth Trading Company has come up with briefs that take good care of the family jewels.

Back to the off topic light bulbs... COR, you're a typical European keeping your house at 19C, that's fine for anybody dressed properly. I've heard it said Americans keep their houses too warm, and they're right. I remember the complaints my ex landlord got when he lowered the zone heating thermostats from 24C to 20C, he told them "just put on some clothes". No more running around in their underwear! That was during the government's subsidy called "seal up and save", but the house was already sealed up as well as any could be excepting floor insulation. That would make the basement as cold as outside, those using the laundry room wouldn't like icy temperatures one bit.

Light bulbs, incandescent comes in three flavors, home, industrial and traffic light, the latter being phased out by LEDs. Traffic light bulbs are squat, flattened, strange looking ones with a thick envelope made to fit into the cramped socket area behind the colored lens. I would imagine railway signal bulbs are the same, but they too are being phased out. It's been a long time since I bought for stock industrial bulbs used for factory and warehouse security and safety lighting mounted high and on 24/7/365, I never replaced one. Like mechanic's shock resistant drop light bulbs they have heavy filaments with extra support wires. I don't have to tell you why in my backup career as an industrial electrician I never replaced one.

LED bulbs, some funny looking, are the coming thing, and there's a lot that can be done with COB LEDs. One annoying thing, finding computer fans and hardware without colored LEDs is becoming more and more difficult. Unlike the geeky freaky crowd that stuffed everything with neon, now colored LEDs, I'm old school preferring my computer lovingly named Minya, the one before Godzilla having fathered Minya, to be a plain old dark inside magic box. Godzilla's case came with blue LED fans, I cut the wires. When I replaced Minya's sleeve bearing fans with ball bearing fans I shopped carefully avoiding "glow fans". That gripe out of the way, you get a long distance pat on the back for replacing them all with LEDs. I'm sure you know they not only save you unneeded expense, they also save the environment by greatly reducing the load on the power grid. Now we're migrating to energy that falls from the sky I have only one wish, move faster toward greater efficiency without interference from oil and coal interests. Being a sci-fi buff I read a story some years back about every home and factory having a Shipstone, a smallish sealed box named for its inventor and company that makes them. They don't last forever, nearing end of life a call to Shipstone brings a crew to replace it. Based on that premise I see the future of solar power, smaller and more efficient systems that will eliminate power stations and all those ugly wires, and especially those ugly, prone to catastrophic failure wind farms.

WØTKX
12-08-2019, 07:31 PM
https://youtu.be/pBJk3XICfaU

WØTKX
12-08-2019, 07:49 PM
This site has interesting tools and glues.

For repairing and building guitars, but certainly useful for other things.
https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Glues_and_Adhesives/

A simple trick I have used for applying cyanoacrylate (superglue) is a "sewing needle mod".

Cut the point off, deburr and round it off. Then cut the eye end so you have two prongs, like a fondue fork.
Deburr and smooth it out with strips of at least 400 grit sandpaper, including the inside of the now opened "eye".

Fit the now blunted point end into a pin vise, such as one of those tiny screwdriver kit handles, you may already have one.
Or, use a hemostat clamp to hold it in a "pinch". This will give great control for applying a tiny amount for a thin layer.

Put a tiny drop in the fork shape, and use it to transfer glue from the bottle tip to one side of the surface being glued.

I'm a big fan of these cyanoacrylate glues. The gel types are pretty cool for more porous and "need for flexing" repairs.

kb2vxa
12-09-2019, 03:35 PM
That lumberjack manages to get himself into some predicaments, he needs to leave the angry giant beaver alone. If on one of those rare occasions I put the TV on, if he's the first commercial I get a few giggles, if that Liberty crap or worse, the company that buys and sells structured settlements playing that infuriating jingle comes on I can't grab the remote fast enough. Bringing that Dire Straits song into the digital TV age, 357 Channels And Nothing On, Elvis would have used a bazooka!

I bookmarked that guitar glue site for future reference, one day I may need some adhesive or soldering brushes. That copper tape may come in handy for something electrical. What do they call "Super Glue"? I've never seen bottles or replacement bottles*, only small one time tubes because once opened it's all hard right quick, and never heard of accelerator, that stuff dries too fast as it is. They have all sorts of fine applicators making the modified sewing needle really not worth the effort to make. Fish glue??? I sure wouldn't want that stink when I played my bizarre repertoire on my Japanese guitar! (Thanks Robert Palmer, thanks Elkie Brooks) Well waddya know, I haven't seen hide glue powder, just add warm water, since high school wood shop. Not that I'll ever need any, I didn't pull a Who on my Japanese electric finger buster even with Gibson Light strings.
"I'm a big fan of these cyanoacrylate glues."
After the bias supply transformer misadventure that set my Johnson Ranger on fire I don't know what to say besides in the end it became a Ranger 2 with 807 modulators.

* Replacement bottles, American Science & Surplus has more bottles than you can shake a stick at... if you like shaking sticks at bottles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3zXXKqn1Qc

KG4CGC
12-09-2019, 11:10 PM

K4PIH
12-10-2019, 09:03 AM
I gave up on Super Glue and spinoffs years ago. Gorilla Glue is far superior so what if it takes hours to harden. I also use good old Duco Contact Cement, the stuff in the glass bottle with the applicator brush on the cap.

WØTKX
12-10-2019, 11:06 AM
Oh, absolutely. I use epoxies and other types of glue depending what I'm doing. JB Weld is magic, and machineable.

I have a more positive attitude to cyanoacrylates because I learned how to use them in a "pro" environment.
Made by Eastman Kodak, and had been in use since the '50s. Different formulas for smooth surfaces, etc.

Including activators that speed up cure time. Stuff is weird. Many problems come from using too much.

KG4CGC
12-10-2019, 02:32 PM
Oh, absolutely. I use epoxies and other types of glue depending what I'm doing. JB Weld is magic, and machineable.

I have a more positive attitude to cyanoacrylates because I learned how to use them in a "pro" environment.
Made by Eastman Kodak, and had been in use since the '50s. Different formulas for smooth surfaces, etc.

Including activators that speed up cure time. Stuff is weird. Many problems come from using too much.

Easy to use too much. Have you seen the fingerprint trick. The fumes off regular super glue can reveal fingerprints.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/msp5018/blogs/english_202c/the-development-of-fingerprints-with-cyanoacrylate-super-glue-fuming.html

WØTKX
12-10-2019, 06:37 PM
Yes I have, never tried it. Looks interesting.

KG4CGC
12-11-2019, 01:42 AM
Discovered it, by accident of course, years ago.

kb2vxa
12-11-2019, 06:21 AM
I'm reminded of the "family glue" we used exclusively, Duco Cement. It was a sort of shield against others because it worked well on everything. Out on my own I discovered other adhesives actually exist. At this stage in life I have no need for them except one, whatever that reusable substance is on Postit note papers. Magnets don't stick to a wooden cabinet and I sure as hell won't stick them on my beloved Minya, son of Godzilla, my beast of a computer.

What the world needs now more than ever is the glue that sticks people together and smooths over rough feelings, love. There are countless love songs in every language , so why don't people listen? (:-<)

koØm
01-15-2020, 04:29 PM
I found the Superglue!

kb2vxa
01-16-2020, 06:41 AM
Grape! Now you can make America glue again.