PDA

View Full Version : Clearly I have a setting funkified somewhere

WZ7U
08-04-2019, 07:16 PM
OK, so I'm checking in a lot more from the phone over wifi here at the webfoot ranch and lately (last couple weeks) when I click in for new posts, instead of the site delivering the first newest post, it directs to the very last newest post. Which has caught me a few times wondering just wtf happened to the continuity of the thread.

I know all of you are way smarter than mwah, so what did I funkefy?

KD8TUT
08-05-2019, 05:48 PM
OK, so I'm checking in a lot more from the phone over wifi here at the webfoot ranch and lately (last couple weeks) when I click in for new posts, instead of the site delivering the first newest post, it directs to the very last newest post. Which has caught me a few times wondering just wtf happened to the continuity of the thread.

I know all of you are way smarter than mwah, so what did I funkefy?

Check the defaults at the foot of the page and select "newest first"

ad4mg
08-06-2019, 05:33 AM
Under <Forum Actions> near the top of most pages, select "General Settings". Thread display options are down that page a bit. Here is a screenshot of my settings:

Here is the help file on those settings:

Can I change the order of posts?
You have a choice over how you view threads. When you're in a thread, look at the top bar. On the right hand side you'll see 'Display Mode'. Click on this and it lets you change how posts are ordered.
You have three choices:
Linear Mode - posts are displayed chronologically, usually from oldest to newest. Posts are shown in a flat mode so that many posts can be viewed simultaneously. It is possible to change the ordering by changing your preferences in the User CP (https://forums.hamisland.net/usercp.php)
Threaded Mode - a tree is shown along with every post. This shows you the relationship each post has to the others. It's easy to see who responded to whom. Only one post is shown at a time. By clicking on a single post in the post tree, the page will show that post and all posts made in response to it.
Hybrid Mode - This is a mixture of the linear and threaded modes. The post tree is displayed as in the threaded mode, but many posts are shown at the same time as in the linear modes.

The mobile style has always had it's quirks. I personally hate it, but haven't invested the time in trying to learn how to fix it. It may just be that mobile style if that's where you're running into issues.

NOTE: If you do make changes on the general settings page, don't forget to scroll to the bottom of the page to hit the Save button.

WZ7U
08-06-2019, 02:08 PM
Yup, thats how mine looks too. I'm thinking it could be the mobile version of things doing all the funkefying here. I'm not going to let it bug me because if I go into a thread by clicking the title, then clicking view first unread vs clicking the blue ball icon for the same operation on the new thread list, the problem disappears. At least on my end.

Thanks for going to all the time and effort to show me in a visual sense. Visual learning is the term. I believe. I'm also a kinesthetic learner. Much appreciated Luke, thanks!

VE7DCW
08-06-2019, 10:51 PM
I like the mobile version of the Island and use it all the time ......works extremely well on my Android phone.....but that's me and I could be wrong :mrgreen:

K4PIH
08-07-2019, 07:33 AM
Did you say Funkified?

KD8TUT
08-07-2019, 02:21 PM
Did you say Funkified?

Rick James will never have root on this server!

N8YX
08-08-2019, 12:15 PM
Rick James will never have root on this server!

How about George Clinton? :dance:

KD8TUT
08-08-2019, 12:50 PM
How about George Clinton? :dance:

Of course... he already runs the place!