PDA

View Full Version : Field Day 2019

KC9ECI
06-18-2019, 09:41 PM
Who's in? This is the first time in 6 years that I've had this weekend available and can play. Will be on the air from Goose Island, south of La Crosse as W9IDX.

KG4CGC
06-18-2019, 10:49 PM
Every year I say I want to do something in the back yard. This year I've been wanting to restring some antennas. The OCF dipole is still good but the dedicated 10m dipole needs to be redone. I've got some old cable TV coax to make elements with. I just need some extra 50 ohm coax to complete the job. Maybe I'll take down my 2m/70cm set up and use that coax. Maybe I'll purchase some mini 8 locally.

N2SR
06-19-2019, 04:37 AM
I'll be at K2AA, 6A SNJ again this year, 20m CW. Refurbished 4 element monobander going up on the AB-577 tower. Last year we had a bit over 1000 Q's. First hour last year, I had a 99/hour.

A friend I invited a few years ago is on 40 CW, since he's a night owl. I used to do 40 with another contester, but I moved over to 20 since we were sorely lacking on that band. 40 has also netted over 1000 Q's each year.

We have a blast.

N8YX
06-19-2019, 09:59 AM
I may get a couple of friends over and introduce them to amateur radio by playing in the shack...or I might take a rig, PSU and peripherals to a lady friend's house and put her place on the air for the evening.

Maybe I'll do the bicycle mobile thing again...

KC9ECI
06-19-2019, 10:13 PM
My prediction is that I will drink more beers than the total number of QSO's I make, but fun will be had by most.

N8YX
06-20-2019, 11:12 AM
My prediction is that I will drink more beers than the total number of QSO's I make, but fun will be had by most.
I have 5 cases of the high-power stuff here, and the QRO position is set up for max fault tolerance in case of operator stupididity. Last time we did this, two beers apiece were consumed and maybe 20 contacts were made before we moved the fun outside to my fire pit...

W3WN
06-21-2019, 07:02 PM
Who's in? This is the first time in 6 years that I've had this weekend available and can play. Will be on the air from Goose Island, south of La Crosse as W9IDX.
I’ll be doing the late evening shift from W3C (N3SH) again this year. Maybe a little at the start, since I’ll be there to help setup as well.

Late afternoon & early evening? We’re taking the grandkids to a church carnival. Which will be a very nice surprise to them, they have no idea.

I may also be on a little from home early afternoon or Sunday morning as 1E. Need 9 more states on 10, and 9 on 15, to complete WAS on each of those bands. Propagation willing, might be able to whittle those numbers down a little.

W3WN
06-21-2019, 07:10 PM
I may get a couple of friends over and introduce them to amateur radio by playing in the shack...or I might take a rig, PSU and peripherals to a lady friend's house and put her place on the air for the evening.

Maybe I'll do the bicycle mobile thing again...
If that’s the lady you introduced to me a few years back at Breezeshooters... you’re going over to her place to play radio? What are you, meshugah?

WZ7U
06-21-2019, 09:50 PM
I’ll be doing the late evening shift from W3C (N3SH) again this year. Maybe a little at the start, since I’ll be there to help setup as well.

Late afternoon & early evening? We’re taking the grandkids to a church carnival. Which will be a very nice surprise to them, they have no idea.

I may also be on a little from home early afternoon or Sunday morning as 1E. Need 9 more states on 10, and 9 on 15, to complete WAS on each of those bands. Propagation willing, might be able to whittle those numbers down a little.

Would OR be one of those states Ron?

W3WN
06-22-2019, 11:44 AM
Would OR be one of those states Ron?
No, but I’ll work you anyway!

KC9ECI
06-23-2019, 09:52 PM
My prediction was correct. More adult beverages than QSO's made. Probably spent more time hanging the antenna than operating.

KD8TUT
06-24-2019, 07:21 AM
Field day for me was supposed to be running the VHF/UHF weak signal station for W8MAI.

Sadly, I ended up sitting in the hospital with my wife (who was bitten by a dog). This went on until Sunday afternoon due to possible blood poisoning.Left just in time to pick up my equipment from the site.

Being creative, I opened my phone hotspot in the hospital and named my hotpot network CQ_FD_KD8TUT.

Logged two connections. One confirmed. Any port in a storm.

KG4CGC
06-24-2019, 02:08 PM
Oh, it isn't next weekend? Well fuck.

WZ7U
06-24-2019, 03:22 PM
Don't know about any of you, but the QSB here was truly epic. Something about the take off angle of the ground plane plays into that a little I figure. Exactly 28 contacts for 24 hours on with 10 off for snooze, so I'm not breaking any records personal or otherwise. Discovered the feed line to the other antenna took a shit, so there is that. It was nice to just get on and putt around doing S&P. Was surprised and a bit elated to finally get E51JD in the log on 15 no less. I've heard that guy for years and could never get through; he's getting up there in years and won't be on forever. Now I gotta trade cards with him so I can confirm E51. Funny he was my fifth contact on FD, as a non FD contact. I should've seen my overall rate coming from that one!

Michael, sorry to hear of your adventure with the missus. Glad to hear it turned out as well as could be expected, even the wifi thing was great! Too bad you couldn't work all wifi's and get the award. Better luck next year. Hope all works out for the best.

Charles, I don't know what to tell ya man. I was looking forward to hearing some island call signs this year but as fate has it I can't hear shit from NNW through SE unless it comes in from a very steep angle. I guess we picked a shitty HF property with this one. Maybe if you don't hit snooze next year I can put you in the log. :-D

That's all I have really. 1E was OK this time around. Beats picking scabs.

Gotta get around to altering the sig pic....

KG4CGC
06-24-2019, 04:34 PM
Granted I haven't kept up in a long time but I thought it was the last full weekend of June.
If you want to try a contact, let's plan a sched. The OCF dipole is just fine.

N2SR
06-25-2019, 04:53 AM
Granted I haven't kept up in a long time but I thought it was the last full weekend of June.
If you want to try a contact, let's plan a sched. The OCF dipole is just fine.

It's always the FOURTH full weekend in June. June typically only has 4 weekends, but every 6-7 years, there is a 5th weekend. Same thing happens in November for CQWW CW contest. CQ CW is always the FOURTH full weekend in November which typically corresponds to Thanksgiving weekend - except for this year, which also happens every 6-7 years.