PDA

View Full Version : Vcc Killed Amateur Radio!

koØm
03-20-2019, 02:00 PM
I looked at the curriculum at the local Vocational High School and, they don't even offer a basic electricity or electronics courses. Asked a kid from the local Technical / Community college if he knew anything about "Impedance", he asked , "Is that anything like Latency on a network?"

Surface mounted devices make it impossible for the average Tek to repair so, it comes down to board level or whole device swap-out.

How many folks are there around who can work with B+ voltages now days, who is building with tubes?

The hobby is being redefined if not, choked to death by technology.

PA5COR
03-22-2019, 06:50 AM
It is called "progress" :squint:

N8YX
03-22-2019, 09:08 AM
Too much Vcc applied to the DC input of your solid-state ham rig will in fact kill it, but I digress ...

KD8TUT
03-22-2019, 03:52 PM
One time a thing occurred to me
What's real and what's for sale
Blew a kiss and tried to take it home
It isn't you, isn't me
Search for things that you can't see
Going blind out of reach
Somewhere in the VCC

Two times and it has rendered me
Punch drunk and without bail
Think I'd be safer all alone
Flies in the vasoline we are
Sometimes it blows my mind
Keep getting stuck here all the time
It isn't you, isn't me
Going blind out of reach
Somewhere in the VCC

You'll see the look
And you'll see the lies
You'll eat the lies
And you will
Flies in the vasoline we are
Sometimes it blows my mind
Keep getting stuck here all the time
It isn't you, isn't me
Going blind out of reach
Somewhere in the VCC

WZ7U
03-23-2019, 10:50 PM
Oh shit! :rock:

Took me two readings to place where I had heard that before. :rotflol:

VK1EA
03-24-2019, 02:20 AM
Oh shit! :rock:

here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht672-wYelc

kb2vxa
03-24-2019, 06:24 AM
One day I found myself a tube man in a transistor world, and everything went downhill from there. I've heard the AM Gangstas say real radios glow in the dark, then they went Class E. Well let me tell you surface mount monkeys something. 12 volts is for wimps, real radios can KILL you. If it doesn't have big tubes with handles and a Jesus stick it's punkie QRP! That facia bruto isn't the only one shooting arcs from his fingertips.

Something noticed by one familiar with a 7025 first audio stage, he used an Astatic D-104 crystal mic dating from the 1930s before the G stand for PTT. You OTs may think it has a nice presence rise for the voice range that makes it excellent for use on your boat anchor, but it has a secret. That frequency response is with a 50K load, into a 12M load it flattens out and becomes equivalent to the classic RCA 44BK ribbon mic. Oh, that's a very young Art Carney.