PDA

View Full Version : Find me a signal generator!

N8YX
03-13-2019, 10:24 AM
I need one which can cover VLF (100KHz or lower) through low microwaves (1-2GHz).

Here's the gotcha: It must also sweep. Most sweep generators have a lower frequency cutoff of 10MHz, and most standard signal generators don't sweep.

An exception to this is the Rohde and Schwarz SMG/SMH series, and that's the way I'm currently leaning. Does anyone know of another synthesized model from HP, Anritsu or similar which offers these features?

AA1OH
03-13-2019, 10:40 AM
I had a hell of a time finding one that would cover my NC-300s 50 Khz IF years ago. One that sweeps as well? never did find one.

N8YX
03-13-2019, 11:36 AM
I had a hell of a time finding one that would cover my NC-300s 50 Khz IF years ago. One that sweeps as well? never did find one.
That's an easy one. Either an HP3325B or a Tektronics FG-5010 will do exactly what you need. The upper frequency cutoff on these generators is around 20MHz, and that renders them useless to me for filter designs into the VHF and UHF spectrum. I own a '5010 and it's a neat piece of gear for what it is.

Thus, my search for an instrument which outputs a stable signal to 1GHz or beyond.