PDA

View Full Version : Xenia this year?

n6hcm
03-03-2019, 03:09 AM
i bit the bullet and made a hotel reservation, and will organize the flight in the morning ... since i don't know how long i'm going to be in new york i figured i should go while it's convenient.

anyone else going?

KD8TUT
03-03-2019, 03:48 AM
Yup... I've got reservations and a plan. Though every year something comes up,

Keeping fingers crossed.

N2SR
03-03-2019, 12:50 PM
Missed the first year at the new venue. Went last year. Not going this year. Just not an interest. Think I'm going to start looking into Hamcation. Then I can visit my brother.

n6hcm
03-03-2019, 10:06 PM
i went to hamcation once a long time ago and almost certainly will go again. it's much easier to get to (getting to dayton from here is annoying ...)

WZ7U
03-03-2019, 11:50 PM
Not I, lucky to make Seapac apparently...

Hope all enjoy it though. I feel I'm missing something.

N8YX
03-04-2019, 10:08 AM
The only thing I'd really like to score there is a couple more pieces of the Stoner "Pro" line to round out my Pro-40 station. I did manage to snag a really nice CPI CP-2500 a couple of years ago.

KG4CGC
03-05-2019, 12:06 AM
Not I, lucky to make Seapac apparently...

Hope all enjoy it though. I feel I'm missing something.

I heard it was a religious experience. Kind of like the gathering at Mecca.

WZ7U
03-05-2019, 12:44 AM
I heard it was a religious experience. Kind of like the gathering at Mecca.

Oh, smelly, crabby zealots jamming me with their elbows and the chatter! All the nutzo chatter! People with short fuses and thinking their shit don't stink. The joy of it all.... maybe I'm not missing anything? :lol:

n6hcm
03-06-2019, 05:51 PM
so i've met all the requirements: entirely too expensive air fare, a room that costs more than it should, and my ticket. all i need now is hand sanitizer and air freshener ...

N2SR
03-07-2019, 04:32 AM
so i've met all the requirements: entirely too expensive air fare, a room that costs more than it should, and my ticket. all i need now is hand sanitizer and air freshener ...

rental car ?

KG4CGC
03-07-2019, 03:28 PM

Van. Sleep in it at the venue.

NQ6U
03-07-2019, 09:28 PM
No way I'd ever go. I'm Xeniaphobic.

KD8TUT
03-08-2019, 09:31 AM
No way I'd ever go. I'm Xeniaphobic.

I see what you did there.

NQ6U
03-08-2019, 11:40 AM
I see what you did there.

I’m glad someone did, my friend.

WZ7U
03-08-2019, 06:44 PM
Somebody has to do it.....

n6hcm
03-09-2019, 12:33 AM
rental car ?

i don't drive. no license. they're kinda funny about rental cars when you don't have a driver's license.

N2SR
03-09-2019, 09:09 AM
i don't drive. no license. they're kinda funny about rental cars when you don't have a driver's license.

So you're going to fly to Dayton, and then hitch hike to your hotel. Got it.

WZ7U
03-09-2019, 01:08 PM
Uber & Lyft is the new thing nowadays to get around without having to ride around in the back of a smelly cab.

At least that's how it's presented to me.

kb2crk
03-15-2019, 11:17 AM
Uber & Lyft is the new thing nowadays to get around without having to ride around in the back of a smelly cab.

At least that's how it's presented to me.

It's true, You get to ride in the back of someones smelly Skanky personal vehicle.....

n6hcm
03-15-2019, 05:58 PM
i've been in no rideshare that's been even remotely as skanky as the best taxi i've been in. surprised to be able to say this, but true.

NQ6U
03-16-2019, 08:02 PM
i've been in no rideshare that's been even remotely as skanky as the best taxi i've been in. surprised to be able to say this, but true.

I agree. Had to park the Ranger for a while and used Lyft and Uber a fair amount for short trips. Every one of those cars was as clean as a whistle.

WZ7U
03-17-2019, 01:39 AM
Probably for two reasons.
1. Pride of ownership, since it's really a personal ride.
2. Have to have nice accommodations to keep the high ratings up.

IMO it's more than a job to the amateur professional taxi driver.

N2SR
03-17-2019, 09:22 AM
Probably for two reasons.
1. Pride of ownership, since it's really a personal ride.
2. Have to have nice accommodations to keep the high ratings up.

IMO it's more than a job to the amateur professional taxi driver.

I had heard that the vehicles must be no more than 3 years old. So you won't be picked up in an old jalopy.

n6hcm
03-23-2019, 12:59 AM
I'm not sure that three years old is the right figure, but it's pretty close. And, of course, many people get a separate car just for their rideshare work (which I think is a bit bonkers, but whatever) ...

N2SR
03-23-2019, 08:47 AM
I'm not sure that three years old is the right figure, but it's pretty close. And, of course, many people get a separate car just for their rideshare work (which I think is a bit bonkers, but whatever) ...

I wonder if that so that they can deduct expenses for their taxes? Not sure.

Our local FB page has a guy who is more of a "low-key" limo service. Rides to the airport(s), etc. He's not connected with Uber, etc, but lots of locals have used him with no issues.

N8YX
03-23-2019, 09:37 AM
Our local FB page has a guy who is more of a "low-key" limo service. Rides to the airport(s), etc. He's not connected with Uber, etc, but lots of locals have used him with no issues.

We have one in my neighborhood whose owner(s) lost the lease on a commercial building in a nearby city and then tried to move four of them plus support operations into a smallish residential property. The congestion got so bad that one of their fleet was towed, all the while a co-owner (the elderly mother of one of the principals) was crying a plethora of crocodile tears to both the hook driver and local law enforcement.

Several things can be learned from this exercise: The city always wants - and gets - its cut; running a business in a residential-zoned area is a sure-fire way to draw unwanted attention to yourself; continually blocking a fire hydrant with your illegal operation is an even better way to pi$$ off the locals...and lastly, your limos might beat the rap but they ain't beating the ride. Or the impound fees.

If one knows where and when to look, it's funny watching the business play Wack-a-Mole vis parking and storage. They might grab anyone's lot as a temporary overnight thing...or advertise one of their limos for sale at a business that's for sale itself.

N2SR
03-23-2019, 02:31 PM
We have one in my neighborhood whose owner(s) lost the lease on a commercial building in a nearby city and then tried to move four of them plus support operations into a smallish residential property. The congestion got so bad that one of their fleet was towed, all the while a co-owner (the elderly mother of one of the principals) was crying a plethora of crocodile tears to both the hook driver and local law enforcement.

Several things can be learned from this exercise: The city always wants - and gets - its cut; running a business in a residential-zoned area is a sure-fire way to draw unwanted attention to yourself; continually blocking a fire hydrant with your illegal operation is an even better way to pi$$ off the locals...and lastly, your limos might beat the rap but they ain't beating the ride. Or the impound fees.

If one knows where and when to look, it's funny watching the business play Wack-a-Mole vis parking and storage. They might grab anyone's lot as a temporary overnight thing...or advertise one of their limos for sale at a business that's for sale itself.

Oh, I agree!

But I live in a very rural area, and the local guy only advertises on Facebook. It's also not his full time line of work. Just something extra that he does in his spare time. His rates are half of what the typical airport shuttles charge for a direct trip are.