PDA

View Full Version : ARRL WTF

NQ6U
02-19-2019, 02:43 PM
Today the ARRL announced that they are shipping a new book, HF Dipole Antennas For Amateur Radio (http://www.arrl.org/news/view/new-book-hf-dipole-antennas-for-amateur-radio-now-shipping) and I have to wonder how they stretched “cut a wire to length using this simple equation”—an equation which we all had to know to get our tickets in the first place—into book length.

PA5COR
02-19-2019, 03:26 PM
:shifty::shocked: ..........

WZ7U
02-19-2019, 03:28 PM
Let alone 20 'different' dipoles in three distinct categories highlighted in QST since 2000. I'm wondering many things right about now....

N2SR
02-19-2019, 08:42 PM
And most times, I shake my head at the articles in QST. I suppose that most of them have to go through some sort of technical review, but....wow. "This is how I built my new fangled doohickey. I just do happened to have this one of a kind unique item in my junk box. You can also build one for yourself if you can find that same one of a kind doohickey."

But the one that really got me was the guy who wrote into Hinks and Kinks about lowering the filament voltage in his Ameritron amplifier by adding 20 feet of wire inside the amp. :wtf::shocked::cry::scared::nono::ugh::nuts::fail:

PA5COR
02-20-2019, 06:11 AM
I rather use the low band dxing book for low band antenna's from ON4UN, RSGB handbook antenna's old ARRL yearbooks, and Karl Rothammel antennabook.
I have more, but these span all you need to know.

N8YX
02-20-2019, 10:04 AM
I rather use the low band dxing book for low band antenna's from ON4UN, RSGB handbook antenna's old ARRL yearbooks, and Karl Rothammel antennabook.
I have more, but these span all you need to know.
The one thing these really don't get into (IMHO) is sleeve trap construction - such as is used with commercial multiband Yagis - but I agree with your choices. Everything but the RSGB volumes are sitting in my library and I've a number of commercially focused antenna and feedline books as well.

NQ6U
02-20-2019, 10:08 AM
And most times, I shake my head at the articles in QST. I suppose that most of them have to go through some sort of technical review, but....wow. "This is how I built my new fangled doohickey. I just do happened to have this one of a kind unique item in my junk box. You can also build one for yourself if you can find that same one of a kind doohickey."

But the one that really got me was the guy who wrote into Hinks and Kinks about lowering the filament voltage in his Ameritron amplifier by adding 20 feet of wire inside the amp. :wtf::shocked::cry::scared::nono::ugh::nuts::fail:

“How to Build A Compact 160m Dipole For Your Apartment Using a U.S. Spaceforce-surplus Flux Capacitor.”

PA5COR
02-20-2019, 02:46 PM
Dang, i'm just out of U.S. Spaceforce-surplus Flux Capacitors, i guess my 77 feet vertical has to do the job with 3000 feet of radial wires in/on the ground...

N8YX
02-20-2019, 03:48 PM
My old coworker Roger (W8VE) worked HI on 160M CW using a 10-watt K2; antenna was a largish inverted L with lots of radials.

You aren't going to do this on an Isotron or some other compact design.

WØTKX
02-21-2019, 01:34 AM
“How to Build A Compact 160m Dipole For Your Apartment Using a U.S. Spaceforce-surplus Flux Capacitor.”

Sez the current presidential dynasty... :nuts: