PDA

View Full Version : AVG Antivirus Ripping Us Off

KG4CGC
12-03-2018, 02:43 PM
I had AVG Free installed on my wife's computer for a while during 2018 but it hasn't been on there for months.
This morning they went through her PP account to her bank account to take out 89.99 and 119.99. Uh, we never bought their software, never made any transactions so that they would have that information in the first place.
Let me say that again, we never used PP or her bank account to make any transactions when we used the free version for about 6 or 7 months before I removed the software. Clearly, there appears to be hacking of her computer going on by AVG because none of these transactions were ever authorized by her and again, she never GAVE them information to link her PP and bank account to AVG.

She's talking to the bank right now. This is ridiculous.

koØm
12-03-2018, 05:39 PM
Once you clear this up, remove your banking information from PayPal, attach a credit card to the account; change your middle name to "Charge Back" and let the credit card companies fight with the PayPal web bank.

In fact, I don't recommend PayPal for ANY transaction online.....go straight to credit card with no middle (PayPal) man.

kb2vxa
12-03-2018, 06:09 PM
This is something new, I used AVG for a couple of months and thankfully didn't get robbed, but I had so much trouble with it I removed every trace (that ain't easy with AV software that insinuates itself into everything) and installed ESET. Installation and setup is a breeze, I haven't had one problem with it, I'm entirely satisfied. Oh it blocks dangerous web pages (IP addresses) that install adware so common these days.

That's an antivirus, you still need anti-malware, that's where Malwarebytes comes in. I also use AdwCleaner and Hitman Pro for that one-two punch. When Lou Reed sang "you're so vicious" he was singing about me.

On edit: "In fact, I don't recommend PayPal for ANY transaction online.....go straight to credit card with no middle (PayPal) man."
I second that motion, can I get an aye?

KG4CGC
12-03-2018, 11:19 PM
Update: Avast charged my account as well. I stopped using all that software back in July. I made sure to cancel it all as well as unchecking the auto payments box. When I check on it today through my log in with their website, it was checked. I had to go to the bank to protest the charges and also had to cancel my bank card.

My xyl never had any dealings with Avast and AVG was only on her machine for a few short months, the FREE version. They managed to get all her account information and dealt with her as if she had the full suite of all their products to the tune of $210 in 2 payments. Never even had the trial version. Anyway, she also went up to the bank and found out those charges were still pending so they were able to put a stop on it. That was purely criminal on their part, AVG. Now she's going to have to deal with paypal and tell them exactly what happened, after I've spent the day figuring it out.

Tell your friends to avoid these companies whether it's free or subscription. Apparently this is a common practice on their part.

KG4CGC
12-04-2018, 12:04 AM
Forgot to add, after removing AVG from the xyl's computer, Avast tried to install itself.
I have never had Avast or AVG on this computer that I'm using. Avast tried to install itself after it tried to nail the xyl's machine.
Now, that's the whole story ... so far.

kb2vxa
12-05-2018, 01:33 PM
Avast ye hearties! ARRR ARRR ARRR! PULEASE don't remind me of that disaster Avast! It gave me more fits than AVG with all those infernal pop ups trying to coerce me into buying the paid version that only adds useless bells and whistles, the free version is the core AV software and is all that's needed. Did I mention how careful you have to be when installing it as it tries to trick you into the paid version? No? Well, now I have. It's a very effective AV but more annoying than a live in mother in law. Avast sucks, avoid it like the plague!

Poor Charles, you seem to have such bad luck with computers I strongly suspect they're badly infected. Frankly things trying to install themselves without you installing them is the red flag. I suggest you run scans with the software I have presently, (read my previous posts) they are the best out of many I have tried and are high rated by users. If you use Windblows it's advisable you start it in safe mode, better yet load the software on a bootable USB data stick and dust your broom outside the OS. Oh, I hope I don't have to tell you never make your implements of destruction on an infected computer, infections migrate across drives. If push comes to shove there is the good old HDD douche, format and reinstall everything.

HUGH
12-05-2018, 03:09 PM
This is something new, I used AVG for a couple of months and thankfully didn't get robbed, but I had so much trouble with it I removed every trace (that ain't easy with AV software that insinuates itself into everything) and installed ESET. Installation and setup is a breeze, I haven't had one problem with it, I'm entirely satisfied. Oh it blocks dangerous web pages (IP addresses) that install adware so common these days.

I've used Eset for some years and had no problems. When I asked to add extra equipment after the first three computers (there are only 2 users but stuff all over the place) I was given special discounts. They send out an early warning when your subscription is due to expire.

KG4CGC
12-05-2018, 03:42 PM
Today I realized that both AVG and Avast made holes in my wireless router while I had them installed. They are trying to install themselves on any machine that comes online on my network.

kb2vxa
12-07-2018, 05:39 PM
When are you going to disinfect the system?

WZ7U
12-07-2018, 07:43 PM
Mmmm, disinfectant..

KG4CGC
12-08-2018, 01:01 AM
Have to replace the router but so far nothing else has tried to reinstall itself.
Both the xyl and I were forced to cancel our cards.

WZ7U
12-08-2018, 04:42 AM
Is this something you take to the state attorney general?

PA5COR
12-09-2018, 09:43 AM
I used AVG in the far distant past, now the internet supplier provides F Secure for free.
Good warning, though i wasn't planning to use AVG since it was a system hogger anyway and a pain in the *ss to remove, even ages ago.

NM5TF
12-10-2018, 10:03 AM
the very best reason to ditch WinBlowz & install Linux.....never have ANY problems like you.....YMMV of course....

K4PIH
12-10-2018, 10:07 AM
the very best reason to ditch WinBlowz & install Linux.....never have ANY problems like you.....YMMV of course....

Yes, go with a Linux build and F Microsoft!

KJ3N
12-10-2018, 09:23 PM

My Mileage Does Vary.

I've used AVG Free for over a decade. I've never seen what Charles has described. Ever.

WZ7U
12-10-2018, 09:42 PM
I've seen nothing like it either, but I don't have any banking info on here either.

KG4CGC
12-10-2018, 11:02 PM
Those are the facts as they happened to us.
A year ago last Spring I was having a new machine built. Everyone, including the machine builder said that Windows Defender was good now and they really stepped up their game. By this time last year I was dealing with an infection that forced me to reset the OS (WinX) and install Avast. It worked well but by late Spring, Avast was getting very intrusive. Kept throwing up pop ups and relentlessly kept trying to get me to buy more of their software. It got so bad that I removed it and logged into my account on their website and I jumped through all the hoops to completely cut ties with them. This included making sure all the right boxes were unchecked, ie; recurring annual payments. This was a paid version so they had my banking info.

The wife's machine was the free version of AVG. I ran it on her machine until the same time in late Spring, at which time I removed it and explained in the uninstall reply box, where they asked why I was uninstalling, that it was causing issues with performance. It too was throwing up pop up ads which was understandable on the free version. Anyway, she never gave them any banking or financial info. Never. They somehow got her banking information and PayPal info and used it to steal money out of her account.
Just recently now, in an email exchange, they were trying to say that she was running a paid version on multiple machines while only being approved for one paid version. BULLSHIT! Like I said above she had a free version. I made sure. They tried scamming her. That is criminal.

I started looking online for complaints about AVG and Avast. In many places it was repeated that they are one company now still operating under their individual names and that as an antivirus software have gone to complete shit. Well, I believe that. While at the bank, the service manager said he's had many people come in complaining about the same thing I was dealing with. He also said that in the last year and a half it has become very common for many companies to do this practice and that basically they are just throwing "stuff" against the wall to see what would stick. In my own mind, I was saying to myself, "this is the outcome of mass deregulation of all industries." That, however, is a political issue even though it is also a law issue. The politicians changed the law and as such made it more difficult to seek redress in the way of siccing a state's attorney general on them if there is recurring problem. Thing is that now, they can say it was clerical or data entry error or blame the code or whatever. Now they can just say it was an accident without much grilling from the law.

So, what happened at my house, oh it was just some misdirected code, disgruntled employee, phfffffft. Whatever. The money has been returned but the software tried installing itself on at least one machine that never had it, ever and reinstall itself, first in its original name and then as the other name. It was after I rejected the install(s) that they contacted my wife's email and tried to cover their asses by saying that they contacted her before under a different email. Again, BULLSHIT!

That's my story. Jim, consider yourself lucky or ask yourself what they actually have access to inside your machine. I used to trust them and used them in the past from time to time along with Malwarebytes and CCleaner and whatever else Windows administrative tools are available. I'll still use Malwarebytes and CCleaner and Windows administrative tools. I hope Windows Defender really has stepped up their game like so many people have told me before because I don't know what my other option are. I won't Norton and I won't use McAfee. Both of those suck up every last bit of system resource no matter how weak or powerful the machine they are installed on are and make the machine pretty much useless at critical times when you're trying to get something done. I've run into some type of computer issue when under a deadline enough times that it pisses me off greatly. I have a couple of back up options now but there were times when I didn't. The only thing with the back ups is that they don't have quite the tune this machine has but they work as I have used them. This time around there were no deadlines but FFS, they could start who knows what manner hooliganry considering what has happened at my household.

Thanks for reading. I appreciate everyone's input and constructive criticism.

WZ7U
12-11-2018, 12:59 AM
Geez, what a fucked up mess. I believe ya Charles, just don't know what to do about it.

K4PIH
12-11-2018, 10:24 AM
Pretty much the same experience with me and Semantic. The antiviruse software is actually a virus in itself. Nag wear, constant pop-ups, nasty stuff.

I use Linux builds/android. I do have a windows 10 machine that's get turned on maybe 2 times a month to update emails. Contains no personal information.

kb2vxa
12-11-2018, 07:40 PM
"I hope Windows Defender really has stepped up their game like so many people have told me before because I don't know what my other option are."

I have my doubts about Windblows Defender, I heard negative reports including the latest one from my guru who built this wee beastie. When I told him I went through AVG and Avast and was using Windows Defender in the interim and asked his advice on what to use. WD goes for wont, it has few extra features, gives many false positives, and is not easy to manage. Also it lacks deep customization options, and scores lower in lab tests as compared to its competitors. He told me about ESET, I installed and set it up and it disabled WD as does any third party AV. It works well with Malwarebytes and both are set to scan on schedule, they're not bloatware or resource hogs, they work quietly in the background with no noticeable effect on any work I'm doing.

So there you have it, a sure fire tried and true, highly rated and approved (also by your friendly neighborhood grumpy old bastid) protection, real time and scheduled scan against every bit of crap known to Man. Since nothing is 100% guaranteed foolproof it pays to have a good backup system to restore the drive(s) in the event of nothing else works or drive failure. That's where Active@ Disk Image Professional, a removable backup drive, and a boot stick for working outside the OS come in handy.

KG4CGC
12-12-2018, 12:29 AM
That was very positive. Thank you Grumpy Old Bastid.

kb2vxa
12-13-2018, 12:12 PM
Speaking of positive, I forgot to mention Hitman Pro is overly aggressive and lacks an ignore list. It scans everything with no control, it wrecked my scanner programming and control software I need because using the keyboard is damn impossible. So much for the memory file, I have to reinstall from the saved installer and hope I can reinstall the last saved memory file or I have to start over from scratch. Thanks Hitman Pro, you go bye bye!

KD8TUT
12-19-2018, 01:12 PM
Well- I'm an IT guy.

Back in the day I would have recommended Bitdefender.

These days the anti-malware industry is a little too "black box" for me. I don't need some kind of herculean anti-malware behemoth slowing my machines down and beating up the drives.

These days, I use Microsoft's built in anti-malware, along with Malwarebytes (if needed). I also have the system scripted to run an sfc scan (System File Checker) weekly to detect changes in core binary files.

WØTKX
12-19-2018, 01:28 PM
I went from G-Data to BitDefender two years ago...

kb2vxa
12-21-2018, 01:00 PM
"These days, I use Microsoft's built in anti-malware, along with Malwarebytes (if needed)."
Just to make sure of my knowledge of Micro$haft "protection" built into W10 and available as downloads for earlier systems I checked here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/products and it verified what I know. Simply put, every one is anti-virus, not anti-malware. That's what Malwarebytes is for, not IF needed, ALWAYS needed providing real time protection in addition to scheduled scans, Micro$haft provides no protection against malware and never has. Protection against rootkits is essential, and with ransomware on the rise companies are working on it but have not yet perfected it because of its many variants. Meanwhile a good backup system is advised and in addition to weekly AV scans, daily if you're paranoid, a weekly scan with Malwarebytes is strongly advised.

"These days the anti-malware industry is a little too "black box" for me."
And you're an IT guy?
"I don't need some kind of herculean anti-malware behemoth slowing my machines down and beating up the drives."
Come up to date then, those days are long gone. I hate repeating myself, so if you're interested back up a bit and read what I use "post AVG/Avast/Hitman Pro Apocalypse" scanning weekly quietly in the background with no noticeable change in machine performance and drives gently purring away.

KD8TUT
12-22-2018, 09:32 PM
"These days, I use Microsoft's built in anti-malware, along with Malwarebytes (if needed)."
Just to make sure of my knowledge of Micro$haft "protection" built into W10 and available as downloads for earlier systems I checked here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/products and it verified what I know. Simply put, every one is anti-virus, not anti-malware. That's what Malwarebytes is for, not IF needed, ALWAYS needed providing real time protection in addition to scheduled scans, Micro$haft provides no protection against malware and never has. Protection against rootkits is essential, and with ransomware on the rise companies are working on it but have not yet perfected it because of its many variants. Meanwhile a good backup system is advised and in addition to weekly AV scans, daily if you're paranoid, a weekly scan with Malwarebytes is strongly advised.

And you're an IT guy?
"I don't need some kind of herculean anti-malware behemoth slowing my machines down and beating up the drives."
Come up to date then, those days are long gone. I hate repeating myself, so if you're interested back up a bit and read what I use "post AVG/Avast/Hitman Pro Apocalypse" scanning weekly quietly in the background with no noticeable change in machine performance and drives gently purring away.

I love it when lay people argue with me... it's kind of cute.

KD8TUT
12-22-2018, 09:57 PM

And you're an IT guy?

Let's look at the link you provided:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/products

Quote:

Windows Defender Antivirus (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/products#wdav)
Homes,
Small businesses,
Enterprises

Real-time detection, prevention, and removal of malware with cloud-delivered protection
Built into Windows 10 and Windows 8.1; for earlier versions of Windows, get Microsoft Security Essentials (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/products#downlevel-antimalware).
Enterprises can manage Windows Defender AV (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/threat-protection/windows-defender-antivirus/deploy-manage-report-windows-defender-antivirus) with System Center Configuration Manager, Microsoft Intune, or Windows Defender ATP.

Maybe you're a better IT guy than me... who knows. But I certainly can read better.

kb2vxa
12-24-2018, 11:14 AM
I love it when some people think they know it all and anybody with a differing opinion is "kind of cute", it's entertaining in a perverse sort of way.

You certainly do read better, I'm blind in one eye and need reading glasses. There is still one thing I find upsetting, and that is playing on the Micro$haft cloud. I, reflecting on the $haft aspect of Micro$haft with spyware disguised as and promoted as security updates that I and others had to remove and stop updates from bouncing them back, I avoid any and all direct exposure to the mother ship. W10 can be cloud based or stand alone, so why go back to the cloud with another one of their products and hope they don't deliver something else besides "protection"? It's called "the cloud" and not "the server" which it really is for a reason, things hide in clouds. That's why I and everybody I know who uses Windblows uses Malwarebytes and the AV of their choice, then the totally fed up are migrating to Linux.

So what did you do with the rubber hose and stuffed animal?

KD8TUT
12-24-2018, 01:46 PM
I love it when some people think they know it all and anybody with a differing opinion is "kind of cute", it's entertaining in a perverse sort of way.

Well, I wrote my first computer program in 1979, did my first IT work in 1984, and my skills are still current.

And you are cute. Because you never asked me what my opinion is based on. Maybe I know a whole lot more than you do? Or know more about my particular environment or attack vectors? I certainly do not base my decisions about my data on "What everyone I know is doing".

Although, all I was doing is stating what I was doing, with a partial answer "why".

These days- everybody thinks they are an expert. Well... I am an expert. For real. My opinions while debatable actually carry weight.

You can dislike me, disagree with me, or think I'm a moron. You will however not insult me and certainly not from a standpoint of ignorance.

You certainly do read better, I'm blind in one eye and need reading glasses. There is still one thing I find upsetting, and that is playing on the Micro$haft cloud. I, reflecting on the $haft aspect of Micro$haft with spyware disguised as and promoted as security updates that I and others had to remove and stop updates from bouncing them back, I avoid any and all direct exposure to the mother ship. W10 can be cloud based or stand alone, so why go back to the cloud with another one of their products and hope they don't deliver something else besides "protection"? It's called "the cloud" and not "the server" which it really is for a reason, things hide in clouds. That's why I and everybody I know who uses Windblows uses Malwarebytes and the AV of their choice, then the totally fed up are migrating to Linux.

Sorry about your eyes. If you want to have a discussion about security ask intelligent polite questions.

So what did you do with the rubber hose and stuffed animal

I just inserted them into your bum :)

WZ7U
12-24-2018, 05:01 PM
D'oh!

KG4CGC
12-24-2018, 07:23 PM
In 1979 I looked like John Belushi and for me it was the latter part of the 9th grade. SNL was in full swing and we often repeated whole skits the following Monday in school from phonographic memory.

N1LAF
12-29-2018, 10:04 PM
I wrote my first computer program back in 1977 ;P (HS Grade 10, I may still have my computer programs, stored on rolls of paper tape....)
1981 - VIC-20, then Commodore 64
1984 - the 'thing' was 300 baud modems and dialup BBS, with the Commodore SX-64
Somewhere in here was the first network connection - between two computers over serial ports, for Duke Nukem
First Non-commodore PC, an 8086 Compuadd computer with a huge 40MB hard drive. Windows 286 (I still have the 5.25 inch floppies) soon after.
1990 something, the search program called "Archie" - Anyone remember Archie?
First VESA Local Bus 486 from Gateway

How's that for walking back into the past?

PA5COR
12-30-2018, 05:42 AM
Sinclair ZX 81 with whopping 16K module, cassette deck to save programs you wrote.
CoCo ( tandy colour computer) 64 K mem, which we expanded with 3 more banks.
286 at 10 MHz with 20 Mb dive and VGA colour monitor
From there the usual, 386, 486 pentium dual core, now lappy with I7 quad core and SSD dive.
FFS i'm getting old...

KD8TUT
12-30-2018, 04:11 PM
I wrote my first computer program back in 1977 ;P (HS Grade 10, I may still have my computer programs, stored on rolls of paper tape....)
1981 - VIC-20, then Commodore 64
1984 - the 'thing' was 300 baud modems and dialup BBS, with the Commodore SX-64
Somewhere in here was the first network connection - between two computers over serial ports, for Duke Nukem
First Non-commodore PC, an 8086 Compuadd computer with a huge 40MB hard drive. Windows 286 (I still have the 5.25 inch floppies) soon after.
1990 something, the search program called "Archie" - Anyone remember Archie?
First VESA Local Bus 486 from Gateway

How's that for walking back into the past?

Oh yea.. Archie, Gopher, and Veronica....

The force was strong with those!!

KG4CGC
12-30-2018, 05:54 PM
*Jughead