PDA

View Full Version : Feed back coming from tuner ?

N8GAV
10-02-2018, 03:08 PM
I'm trying to figure this one out, on 10, 15, 17, meters and not on the whole band I talk and then all at once my voice comes over my tuner to where I can hear clear ? It doesn't do it all the time just every so often. New one on me, anyone know ?

kb2vxa
10-03-2018, 05:59 AM
How does voice come over a tuner when it has no transducer? Sorry, without an accurate description of the problem we can't come up with an accurate solution. I would think something with a speaker in it, but what?

PA5COR
10-03-2018, 04:13 PM
It happens.
Once i was near our strongest Am station with a few 100 KW, a few miles away a few grass leaves were contacting a electric fence wire and the sound of the AM station could be heard.
So something inside the tuner can rectify the modulation and swing some part in it to make it audible.
Must say i never had any of my tuners do that to me in the 41 years i'm active.....running 10 to 1000 watts AM/SSB...
Homebrew, Kenwood nor MFJ....:mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lVGUHH9SlY
See here some Russian idiots...

N8GAV
10-03-2018, 04:26 PM
I wonder if it's a CB'er that lives on the next block ? He's got a tower, beam, and may running some power I'll have to keep an eye on that

PA5COR
10-04-2018, 05:19 AM
If you hear your own modulation it must be from your end, though if the Cb'er uses high power, some mixing might ensue.
Certainly if you use the bands near the 11 meter band...as you stated.
still wondering about what would rectify the modulation and what part could cause the audio to be heard, it needs a mechanical swinging an part.
But if a grass reed can do that, all bets are off...

HUGH
10-04-2018, 05:55 AM
Working in a BBC HF and MW station with a total input power of over 1.8MW threw up some interesting effects with anything large and metal on the station. You could listen to individual programs quite selectively but the best was a chain-link fence around the site (of several acres with sheep grazing) which put up quite a cacophony of audio. Incidentally a pair of headphones with a diode across the plug worked well too.

Elimination of RF could be done by filtering without modifying anything and it's possible multiple (or non-existent) grounding may be responsible. Good luck with that one.

KD8TUT
10-04-2018, 06:11 AM
I'm trying to figure this one out, on 10, 15, 17, meters and not on the whole band I talk and then all at once my voice comes over my tuner to where I can hear clear ? It doesn't do it all the time just every so often. New one on me, anyone know ?

I've seen this when coils vibrate at a resonant harmonic of a frequency. Usually dropping some wax onto the coil will stop the coil from vibrating and creating the sound.

kb2vxa
10-06-2018, 06:01 AM
Back in the day I worked in a TV shop, we used a "green stick", actually a fiberglass rod as a n insulated stethoscope to pinpoint noises in the HV cage. Garage mechanics used metal rods to pinpoint noisy lifters and such in engines. Since active tuners have high RF voltages present and are detuned by metal where it's not supposed to be I would use a fiberglass rod with one end pressed against the bone just in front of the ear canal, fiberglass and bone conduct sound much better than air. For that reason I would have someone else speak into the mic, or better yet use a test tone, or best yet give your transmitter a two tone test, a two birds with one stone approach. Do I have to tell you a dummy load is better than crapping up the band with on air tests? They are the court of last resort, if your antenna presented a 50 ohm load you wouldn't need a tuner... read on.

One last thing, I have a bad feeling about this, the last time I heard a tuner "singing" it was internal arcing, the internal balun screaming in pain. This was surprising at first, an MFJ "3KW" tuner arcing with only 100W of AM, modulation struck the arc followed by the hiss of carrier arcing inside the balun. It was more the antenna system than the tuner, a 160M sloping open delta fed with open wire ladder line. It turned out the line was a half wave on the 75M AM Gangsta band sending the high RF voltage at the antenna feed point down to the tuner, baluns like current feed, voltage feed kills them. This is where the old Johnson Matchbox shines over today's tuners, it has a balanced output and one leg can be shorted to ground for unbalanced output, it laughs at high voltage.

N8GAV
10-06-2018, 02:13 PM
Well It's not my voice, it's a CBer ! My HF rig is off and I was sitting back in shack working on a HW 32 and I heard the guy through the tuner. Interesting

koØm
10-06-2018, 03:50 PM
Well It's not my voice, it's a CBer ! My HF rig is off and I was sitting back in shack working on a HW 32 and I heard the guy through the tuner. Interesting

Deja-Vu!

Early 80's I was QRO to the point of having higher AM output than some local AM broadcast stations.

I lived on a Cul-De-Sac and, respected my neighbors; when they had problems with my transmissions, they would stick their head out the door, call my name and let me know they were on the phone or watching T.V.

One day, my neighbor came across the street and ask me to stop transmitting because I was tearing up everything in his house; I invited him in, told him that my equipment wasn't even turned on and, was cold to the touch.

My neighbor then stated, "Yea, that didn't sound like your voice either and you don't call yourself 'CB-Handle'."

Come to find out, it was my radio neighbor 2 blocks on the other side of my cross-the-street neighbor. My radio neighbor was "QRO-er" than me and had turned his 6 element Yagi in a North-West direction in line with my neighbor's house.

I had to call him up and tell him to knock it off before James Bridgewater came knocking on both our doors wanting to know what, was going on.

kb2vxa
10-07-2018, 10:00 AM
Higher than SOME broadcast stations? I've seen a few bragging on CB forums with pictures showing 50+ KW that makes it more than ALL broadcast stations. The laughs come in when the scope displays such over-modulation it looks like a square wave splatter box destroying everything from 1 to 100MHz.

Then some neighbors are just dumber than dog shit. I had been operating my modified Heathkit Twins, the Mohawk RX and Apache TX for a couple of years without complaint until the hash, mash, and trash of the CB boom became too much and I sold everything from mic to antenna. About a month later I dug the mast out of the weeds where I had tossed it and put up a home brew nineteen inch VHF ground plane for my scanner, and then it happened. The lady next door came by complaining of TVI, I turned on the scanner that had been off all day and let her listen to police calls etc. while I explained it is a receiver only, see, no microphone, it cannot possibly cause interference. I brought her over to my TV, went around the channels, see, no interference. Out of curiosity I asked her to describe the interference, where the TV is and what does she use for an antenna since there is none on the house and there is no cable drop line. The picture goes in and out, the TV is a portable in the basement on rabbit ears. At this point I found it hard to contain myself while finally explaining to her my antenna radiates no signal, she interrupted me with "Well, it's an antenna isn't it?" I clenched my fists, stiffened my posture and shouted so loud they could hear me in Peoria "GET OUT OF NY HOUSE! OUT! OOOUUUT!!!"

Mama said there'd be days like this, mama said, mama said. (;->)

On edit: You had James Bridgewater, probably a likable enough guy like most FCC Field Engineers, we had Roger Nye The FCC Guy, a complete klutz and so dumb he makes dog shit look smart. He wondered why an N connector wouldn't mate up with an SO-239, when I handed him the right jumper for the Bird 43 he couldn't get a reading on it, I pointed out the 450MHz 50W slug he had in it and handed him the correct one. That was only the beginning of him goofing his way through an inspection and the beginning of my "Let's get rid of the bastard" campaign that ended with him flying a desk in Baltimore. It's like the military way, give him a promotion and a transfer to Pint Barrow, Alaska.

PA5COR
10-07-2018, 05:13 PM
I reckognize that first part all too well.....:hyper:

N8GAV
10-11-2018, 03:05 PM
What is a Yeticom and a Dave made 10 pill ? He said today that's what he is running, I was listening to him on 11 meters today, I was tuning around and he was all over the place

WZ7U
10-11-2018, 03:43 PM
You guys in 8 land have all the best CB lids! :clap:

koØm
10-12-2018, 10:14 PM
You guys in 8 land have all the best CB lids! :clap:

^
|
|

Nailed it!

koØm
10-12-2018, 10:52 PM
What is a Yeticom and a Dave made 10 pill ? He said today that's what he is running, I was listening to him on 11 meters today, I was tuning around and he was all over the place

I did the Google thing on "Yeticom (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=http%3A%2F%2Fyeticomnz.com%2F)" and this showed up.

"Dave-Made" is the top of the line, built in a garage, unfiltered 11 meter amplifier.

"10 pills" describes an amplifier with eight 2SC-2879 bi-polar transistors with a built-in 2 transistor driver.

Next time he's transmitting, jump up to 6 meters and see if he's up there; also listen for him around 108 MHz on your FM Radio.

ETA: More importantly, go to 10 meters and listen for him there. If he is there, he's trespassing.

N8GAV
10-22-2018, 03:52 PM
This joker is getting to be a real pain in the ass, I was told his neighbor turned him in for coming in over her phone. Mel I looked up Yeticom some kind of export radio for 12, 11,and 10 meters. So we will see if the FCC shows up.

koØm
10-24-2018, 11:09 AM
This joker is getting to be a real pain in the ass, I was told his neighbor turned him in for coming in over her phone. Mel I looked up Yeticom some kind of export radio for 12, 11,and 10 meters. So we will see if the FCC shows up.

If he's coming through Land-line telephones, he's probably interfering with emergency communications to 911; local LEO will be on his doorstep before the FCC. He is creating a public nuisance and, local laws and regulation have issues when others stop you from the enjoyment of "Peaceful living conditions" in your own place.

Higher than SOME broadcast stations?

ETA: Fortunately, the "Statue of Limitations" has expired.

kb2vxa
10-26-2018, 10:42 AM
Houston, we have a problem. The problem is how to nail an over powered CBer considering RFI complaints made by Joe A. Citizen are Joe A. Citizen's problem in the eyes of the FCC. I can guarantee from experience that 90% of the time all they do is send the complainant their little booklet based on the ARRL publication on how to filter out the offending RF. The telephone company can install a filter, but they install it in the "line test box" (for the lack of a proper term) on the side of the house where the drop line from the pole terminates. This is the last part of the system owned by them, the subscriber owns the inside wiring, so it doesn't get installed where it needs to be, at the affected telephone itself isolating it RF wise from the wiring that's acting as an antenna.

I remember K-COM had manufactured a set of highly effective band specific filters, hams swore by them. I watched as Phil K2PG installed and tested one on a neighbor's phone, it completely eliminated it receiving a 1KW AM broadcast transmitter re-tuned for 160M. Fast forward 18 years and it looks like K-COM is no more, when I went shopping all I came up with that may be suitable is this: http://www.ky-filters.com/ The RF-1 may do the trick and probably will provided it's placed in line at the affected telco unit. Unplug the cord from the phone, plug the filter into the phone and plug the cord into the filter. N2HGY Larry's air name was K. C. Filter... long story. (;->)

Whatever happened to the old reliable Western Electric 500 series phones built like a brick dunny and totally immune to RF?

n2ize
02-24-2019, 11:43 AM
It's like the military way, give him a promotion and a transfer to Pint Barrow, Alaska.

I might be insane enough to like that.

n2ize
02-24-2019, 11:48 AM

I don;t know about a "Yeticom" . "Dave Made" is a brand of illegal (export only) 11 meter linear amp. Known for being overdriven, causing intense wideband splatter, and having no harmonic nor spur suppression. "Pills" = "the number of transistors in the final".

n2ize
02-24-2019, 11:57 AM
Out of curiosity I asked her to describe the interference, where the TV is and what does she use for an antenna since there is none on the house and there is no cable drop line. The picture goes in and out, the TV is a portable in the basement on rabbit ears. At this point I found it hard to contain myself while finally explaining to her my antenna radiates no signal, she interrupted me with "Well, it's an antenna isn't it?" I clenched my fists, stiffened my posture and shouted so loud they could hear me in Peoria "GET OUT OF NY HOUSE! OUT! OOOUUUT!!!"

Unfortunately this radio stuff is way over the heads of the average person. Most people never learned anything about it for the simple reason that most people have no real need to learn it. The result is your former neighbor. They are totally clueless and confused when it comes to transmitting and receiving. To her an antenna is an antenna, they are all the same and they all produce interference, thus your antenna must be the cause of her interference problems despite the fact that you had just demonstrated that its not.

KG4CGC
02-24-2019, 06:42 PM
The scuttlebutt in the 11 meter world is that with everything being digital, those items are more immune to CB splatter.
This assessment is somewhat correct. I live less than 100 yards from a 5KW AM "Nation Station." None of my appliances or TV's suffer.

koØm
02-24-2019, 11:32 PM
The scuttlebutt in the 11 meter world is that with everything being digital, those items are more immune to CB splatter.
This assessment is somewhat correct. I live less than 100 yards from a 5KW AM "Nation Station." None of my appliances or TV's suffer.

YMMV

I cannot operate 10 meters qrp on my dipole because it will come through my sound system and, my other computers via the USB bus, I drop down to 40 meters and 600 watts output from my SB-200 doesn't bother a thing.

Go figure.

K4PIH
02-25-2019, 08:32 AM
So going back to your original post, is it YOUR voice or SOME CB'ER voice?

AA1OH
02-25-2019, 01:57 PM
So going back to your original post, is it YOUR voice or SOME CB'ER voice?

Or both?

K4PIH
02-26-2019, 10:30 AM
Might help diagnosing the problem.

kb2vxa
03-02-2019, 10:50 AM
You missed the whole conversation about an abominable snow radio, a Dave made in his garage pillbox transmitting splatter, harmonics and spurs exacerbated by a 6el beam selectively destroying neighbors' peace of mind.

Back in the day the Boys From Brooklyn had midnight antenna parties with a truck, heavy rope, and a grappling hook. I didn't need to go that far working for a business machine refurbishing house and having access to large bottles of black copy toner. Tracking down a joker with a high tower playing Gospel music all night long on CB with a DF loop is a story in itself, but this is about how I put a swift end to it. You're catching on already, late one night when the neighborhood slept I covered his car with black copy toner. I wasn't out to cause damage with paint, toner looks like black paint but washes off with soap and water, it's only a carbon black pigment in water suspension. I guarantee when he saw his car he FREAKED, the shock worked as intended, no more music jamming up the radio all night.

This story just may inspire "affirmative action" since where CB is concerned the FCC is as useless as tits on a bull.