PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in the '70's

koØm
07-14-2018, 06:19 PM
https://www.facebook.com/radiooperatorsunited/videos/214008705921092/?t=190

WZ7U
07-14-2018, 07:05 PM
No RF induced maladies yet? Maybe 11 meters doesn't heat tissue up like higher freqs do. I think these contests are silly to the extreme. Now I've seen similar on You Tube and wondered how they move down the road with all those elements in place, unless they have to set up on site first. Oh boy.
It must be an Ohio thing? I've never seen anything remotely like that out in these parts. Not yet anyway...

koØm
07-14-2018, 08:15 PM
No RF induced maladies yet? Maybe 11 meters doesn't heat tissue up like higher freqs do.

Plenty, they are dropping (if High Voltage didn't get them early, Leukemia is catching them now) like flies around me. I bailed on them in '85, 'tho I still go to the summer get-together occasionally. It doesn't pay to be a close (and repeated) spectator. I wish I had pictures of when the bracket broke and launched an alternator into the air.

I think these contests are silly to the extreme. Now I've seen similar on You Tube and wondered how they move down the road with all those elements in place, unless they have to set up on site first. Oh boy.

In the '80's if you could not drive it (with antenna attached) into the event, you could not be in the event; I guess everything goes now.

It must be an Ohio thing? I've never seen anything remotely like that out in these parts. Not yet anyway...

It's mostly a 4-5-8 Land thing, there are a few up in Jersey and Up-state New York.

That event that is happening this weekend is in Chicago.

ETA: That's where fellow who is famous for the 50 Kw + mobiles is from.

N8YX
08-19-2018, 12:07 PM
No Excuses...

n0km
08-22-2018, 06:16 PM
So is that guy married?

koØm
08-24-2018, 01:22 PM
So is that guy married?

"Bluegill" from Chicago, dunno.