PDA

View Full Version : Guilty Pleasure

koØm
07-01-2018, 11:06 AM
I got these for a birthday present, almost like a "Gag gift" (no pun intended!) so, I took a picture to see what kind of reaction would I would get from the crew at work.

The younger crowd (millennial born and younger) could not imagine eating these things.

My crowd and older remember's going to the butcher's store and begging their parents to buy them one.

Like raw oysters on the half-shell, it's an acquired taste; they bring back memories of childhood and, neighborhood bars (along with the Bar-maids in them).

Ever ate one?

suddenseer
07-03-2018, 11:47 AM
No, and No, and No.

KC9ECI
07-03-2018, 04:50 PM
Worked with a guy that ate those things. Right down to the gel that forms in the jar.

k9kxq
07-05-2018, 10:44 AM
They do have a texture and taste of their own, use to love them but not so appealing now...

n6hcm
07-05-2018, 03:05 PM
my father ate them. i knew there was a reason i didn't like him ... (well, *another* reason ...)

K4PIH
07-09-2018, 10:17 AM
Mmmmm. Used to get those at the little country store near my childhood home. Right next to the pickled eggs and sausages (not that Slim Jim crap).

WZ7U
07-09-2018, 11:58 AM
:yuck: :puke:

KG4CGC
07-09-2018, 12:09 PM
I like to take a couple of cloves of raw garlic and bite into them and chew them up just bit before I drink a little anchovie juice. That's the olive oil and slight brine in the anchovie container. Chew that up and let it all mix together before washing it down with a citrusy, piney IPA.
I tell ya hwhat ...

n2ize
07-14-2018, 03:26 PM
I'll take a cup of good coffee or a hot chocolate on a winter day along with a nice brier bowlful of Latakia.

WØTKX
07-14-2018, 10:13 PM
I like to take a couple of cloves of raw garlic and bite into them and chew them up just bit before I drink a little anchovie juice. That's the olive oil and slight brine in the anchovie container. Chew that up and let it all mix together before washing it down with a citrusy, piney IPA.
I tell ya hwhat ...

Sounds yummy with the flavours of artistic fraternity
And experimentation, Sorry, I had to

I've had pickled pigs feet, bet never in that lurid red
Quite a bit with family when I was young, homemade

Oh, I put small schmeers of anchovy paste on crackers, beats cheese whiz...
When was the last time you noodeled a fish :lol:

suddenseer
07-16-2018, 12:26 PM
15833Here is my culinary weakness. I would actually consider murder for morels, I would only think about it, not do it.

HUGH
08-12-2018, 11:43 AM

Cow heel stew, the gelatine in pig's trotters and cow's feet is the best part. I did wonder why the Chinese have chicken's feet as a delicacy and it must be for the same reason.

koØm
08-12-2018, 12:44 PM

Cow heel stew, the gelatine in pig's trotters and cow's feet is the best part. I did wonder why the Chinese have chicken's feet as a delicacy and it must be for the same reason.

That looks like an improved version of Ox Tail Stew.

BTW: the jar pictured in my OP is empty (and my Blood Pressure is normal LOL); time for another safari to http://junglejims.com/ to pick up another jar.

HUGH
08-14-2018, 11:10 AM

BTW: the jar pictured in my OP is empty (and my Blood Pressure is normal LOL); time for another safari to http://junglejims.com/ to pick up another jar.

Ox tail is now hard to obtain, it often contained tissue from the spinal cord which, it was said, might just carry BSE but other parts are still available. I hope you've purchased another jar.

suddenseer
08-15-2018, 08:32 AM

.I have a safari all the way from Springfield. I carry ice chests for refrig/frozen items to make the return trip.Side note: When we had that hunk of a hurricane come up here in Sept. 2008, and wreck our trees, power lines, and towers. A few days later. I was enjoying all kinds of frozen delicacies like South African Rock Lobster, et.al. I go camping with folks who worked there, when they lost power, and had to throw away all of the frozen/refrigerated foods! Let's just say, not all of it got thrown away!

koØm
08-15-2018, 09:20 AM
I have a safari all the way from Springfield. I carry ice chests for refrig/frozen items to make the return trip.Side note: When we had that hunk of a hurricane come up here in Sept. 2008, and wreck our trees, power lines, and towers. A few days later. I was enjoying all kinds of frozen delicacies like South African Rock Lobster, et.al. I go camping with folks who worked there, when they lost power, and had to throw away all of the frozen/refrigerated foods! Let's just say, not all of it got thrown away!

*If* I were to hit the Lotto, my first stop would be http://junglejims.com/ and then, I would hire a professional Chef.

My second stop would be at the RV Showroom next door to http://junglejims.com/ . All my King Crab, Lobster, Choice Beef and, Pickled Pigs Feet would be consumed while camping in my Motor-Home.

I'm only 20 minutes away, and I don't buy Ice Cream :icon_smile: