PDA

View Full Version : All this newfangled gadgetry anyway, wtf

WZ7U
06-16-2018, 07:04 PM
So, who wants to explain the why and wtf for's around VPN. :irked: :squint: Is this something I really should be considering/concerned with? Is it just an electronic prophylactic? :wtf:

n6hcm
06-17-2018, 03:06 AM
i use a vpn when i'm using a network i don't know or control. free wifi in the coffeehouse? vpn on. laptop at home? vpn optional ... if you're accessing controversial resources then vpn on.

ad4mg
06-17-2018, 04:47 AM
Henry is correct, in my opinion. I seldom use a VPN here at home, but always when accessing free WIFI that operates "in the clear". Eric, here is a PC Magazine article that may clear things up a bit:

https://www.pcmag.com/article/359499/how-to-set-up-and-use-a-vpn

i use a vpn when i'm using a network i don't know or control. free wifi in the coffeehouse? vpn on. laptop at home? vpn optional ... if you're accessing controversial resources then vpn on.

WZ7U
06-17-2018, 05:09 AM
Thanks for the link Luke, that was very helpful indeed. I figured Henry was giving me the straight skinny on it but that article really spelled it out for me. I'm going to re-read that article a few times I'm certain. Again, I appreciate the info, thank you.

n6hcm
06-23-2018, 12:42 AM
yeah. we have a "guest" wifi at work for visitors and staff who are using personal equipment. when i use that (even though it's secured) i turn vpn on ...

WØTKX
06-23-2018, 09:53 PM
Work issued laptops run Palo Alto VPN to "phone home".

For when we are not on the physical network.