PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts?

KD8TUT
06-05-2018, 01:03 PM
Hi all,

Ok so I've got an Apache Labs ANAN 100D which I'm keeping long term. Love the radio. Going to skip the current new-generation then upgrade next round.

However, I've got a second operating position in my shack which used to have a Flex 5000a which I sold. It's time to get another rig for the second position. It should not be a "high end radio" or it should not be "new".

Any suggestions about a cheapish/used radio which might be fun for the second position? I'm not sure I'm interested in a second SDR- so it needs to be knobbed... reliable... and relatively clean on transmit.

First person to suggest an Icom 7300 will be slapped.

Ideas?

N8YX
06-05-2018, 02:01 PM
TS-530/820S/830S, FT-102, FT-901/902 or a Drake 7 line.

Paragon II.

An Omni VI+ if you're into CW.

KD8TUT
06-05-2018, 02:18 PM
TS-530/820S/830S, FT-102, FT-901/902 or a Drake 7 line.

Paragon II.

An Omni VI+ if you're into CW.

I thought about tracking down an Omni.. the local ham radio shop had one but it's gone now.

Another one is the Icom 756 pro III??

N8YX
06-06-2018, 08:21 AM
I thought about tracking down an Omni.. the local ham radio shop had one but it's gone now.

Another one is the Icom 756 pro III??
A good rig if it doesn't develop display faults.

Dave and Charles love the Corsair/Corsair II line. As do l, though you're limited to SSB/CW with one. An Omni D is another decent choice - classic looks.

There's also something to be said about a Cubic Astro 103. When mine is in the lineup I run it with a Shure 444. The audio reports are many and are unsolicited; everyone I've worked loves the way that radio sounds on the air.

My all-time favorite "vintage" set has a few faults I'd consider correcting before placing it in 24x7 operation. That is, the Yaesu FT-980. Its main Achilles Heel is the internal 24v PSU which runs warm. I've designed an accessory cooling system as a supplement to the PA fan which should eliminate heat as a failure point. Another gotcha is its ALC circuit: There's a runaway point at which the power cannot be reduced smoothly. A partial re-design may be necessary.

QST remarked on a noisy synthesizer in their review of the rig. In practice, this has never been noticeable.

If you're into SWLing or BCB monitoring, the rig is very enjoyable to listen to - especially with its companion SP-980 speaker. All of mine have the AM filter installed (it's the one used in the FT-90x series) and work great on that mode. Yaesu provided transverter functionality in the form of a modification kit for the FTV-901R; it'll cover all of 6 and 2 plus the SSB/Sat portions of 70cm. You can also use the FC-757AT automatic antenna tuner with the rig. Both applications require a special cable with an Unobtanium 28-pin connector at the radio end.

The only other drawback I can see is lack of a wideband IF output for use with a panadapter, such as the YO-901 station scope. I'm going to address that as well and will post something to the "Mods and Repairs" area when done.

N8YX
06-06-2018, 10:59 AM
For the Really Old Skool Cool shack, though, I'd look at an SB-104 lineup. Or an HW-104 plus HR-1680/HX-1681 for QSK CW work on the traditional HF bands.

KG4CGC
06-06-2018, 01:47 PM
You need an original Corsair manufactured in 1983.

WØTKX
06-08-2018, 08:27 PM
Yup, mine is pretty great. Perhaps a Pegasus or a Jupiter?

The Peg is a Jupiter without knobs.

Kicks ass with N4PY software.

W1EAT
06-09-2018, 09:14 PM
I have an OMNI-A, OMNI-V, Argo 509 and I have had a Corsair II, Paragon and a TS-850 that snuck in there somehow. I also have an Eagle now and it is clearly the best receiver of the lot and what I would get for my second operating position if I wanted great performance without a computer involved. With T-T having a questionable future, they sell for really low prices.

Tom W1EAT