PDA

View Full Version : W6OBB SK

WØTKX
04-14-2018, 10:55 AM
Art Bell died on Friday the 13th...

AA1OH
04-14-2018, 01:42 PM
RIP Art Bell, no more coast to coast. I enjoyed his programs on late night AM out in the desert.

WZ7U
04-14-2018, 03:49 PM
At least he went on a day he could appreciate the humor of. RIP Art ... -.- :icon_sad:

N8YX
04-14-2018, 05:45 PM
Never got to work him on the air but I understand he was a good op.

RIP.

WØTKX
04-14-2018, 07:09 PM
He was a little odd, but in a nice way. I had a lot of fun on late night winter group ragchews with him and others,

We all goofed with live web cams during QSOs, and he got a big charge out of me wearing that same tee-shirt.

KG4CGC
04-14-2018, 07:46 PM
Listened to the show for years ... back in the day. Never took any of it seriously but it was a good exercise in thinking about possibilities. Sci-fi and mystery, legend and lore.
Listened in on one of his round table QSO's back in the ESSB daze and thought it was something neat to happen upon.
I like to think he was a pretty happy guy. You could just hear it in the relaxed manner of his voice, consistent, for years.

VE7DCW
04-14-2018, 08:47 PM
I never worked him either..... I have heard him a couple of times on 80 meters but his biography reads as bizarro in any case.RIP W6OBB :icon_sad:

KD8TUT
04-14-2018, 11:37 PM
Makes me sad. Listened to him since his old show in Vegas used to skip into Chicago when I was a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2o_IsNvpjQ

suddenseer
04-15-2018, 10:44 AM
I sent out a 'curiosity CQ' on my recently stretched E/W wire in the Advanced sub band on 75M, in fact my call was KG8HT. He answered my cq, and we chatted for about an hour. We hit it off when he found out about my BC engineering background. He sent a direct qsl which was weird because he did not even mention it. I felt obligated to return a direct. Being a tightwad, I learned the boro benefits years before. I did not need his state, or county. I heard his radio show a few years later when my local late nite picked it up in syndication. His voice is what I recognized. I went in the shack, and found his qsl card, it was him!! So I was a radio amateur, had worked him on the air, but did not know who he was (yet).

K7SGJ
04-15-2018, 11:27 AM
Makes me sad. Listened to him since his old show in Vegas used to skip into Chicago when I was a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2o_IsNvpjQ

I've heard all about those kids that skip in Chi-town

N7YA
04-15-2018, 01:24 PM
I used to listen to him when I lived in vegas, he was right on the other side of the hill from me and had a huge signal. He would sit and ragchew for hours with his friends. What I recall the most was his amazing audio. He had some serious gear on his mic!

KD8TUT
04-15-2018, 03:13 PM
I've heard all about those kids that skip in Chi-town

Sometimes we'd even sing showtunes.....

K4PIH
04-16-2018, 08:47 AM
Went to a local hamfest back when I lived in Vegas. Most of the locals seemed to be standoffish, then I met Art. I was talking with another ham about 51 (I actually worked there on occasion) and he joined the conversation. We had a cold drink and chatted for at least 20. Exchanged numbers but never worked him on the air.

A real nice guy and as others have said, he had the voice for radio. I was and still am a big fan.

RIP Art, maybe I'll see ya soon and you can give me all the latest that you've learned on a different plane.

WØTKX
04-16-2018, 11:18 AM
He's out there somewhere, swapping stories with Terrance McKenna again...

N7YA
04-16-2018, 05:32 PM
Most of the locals seemed to be standoffish....

Understatement right there. :yes: