PDA

View Full Version : MFJ Antenna Analyzer

koØm
04-02-2018, 05:50 PM
I have one leg of the dipole going up to the roof and it runs in a North-South Direction, the other leg is at a 90 degree angle running East-West; it's fed with 75 ohm balanced line. The Dentron Super Tuner Plus allows me to work the convention amateur bands.

A couple of time a year, I would borrow my friend's MFJ 259 and I would jot down the different setting for each band needed for the antenna tuner to work.

My associate (via my Amazon Prime ) purchased a new MFJ-259C Antenna Analyzer and, because he was tired of loaning me his meter, he offered to sell me his old one; I told him that I would just keep on borrowing it if it was OK.

I took the old one home, did some trouble-shooting and I calibrated it.

A couple of days later, the owner called and asked me to bring the analyzer home and, I refused; I told him I would bring him his asking price (twice what I first offered before I repaired it) but not the meter, LOL at me.

This is not the MFJ-259C current model but, the original MFJ-259, it doesn't show reactance or have fancy digital readout but, it does the basic work.

KG4CGC
04-02-2018, 06:12 PM

koØm
04-02-2018, 06:19 PM
I have one leg of the dipole going up to the roof and it runs in a North-South Direction, the other leg is at a 90 degree angle running East-West; it's fed with 75 ohm balanced line. The Dentron Super Tuner Plus allows me to work the convention amateur bands.

A couple of time a year, I would borrow my friend's MFJ 259 and I would jot down the different setting for each band needed for the antenna tuner to work.

My associate (via my Amazon Prime ) purchased a new MFJ-259C Antenna Analyzer and, because he was tired of loaning me his meter, he offered to sell me his old one; I told him that I would just keep on borrowing it if it was OK.

I took the old one home, did some trouble-shooting and I calibrated it.

A couple of days later, the owner called and asked me to bring the analyzer home and, I refused; I told him I would bring him his asking price (twice what I first offered before I repaired it) but not the meter, LOL at me.

This is not the MFJ-259C current model but, the original MFJ-259, it doesn't show reactance or have fancy digital readout but, it does the basic work.

The best I can do is 2.0 : 1 SWR on the 15 meter Hustler center loaded vertical mounted on the balcony.

But, the same Hustler 15 meter antenna has a 1.2 : 1 SWR on 6 meters 50 MHz to 54 MHz!

Go figure.

WZ7U
04-02-2018, 08:49 PM
Did ya try it on 40 for shits and grins?

I only say that because I can get my 40m 1/4 wave to work on 6m; not so much on 15. Huh.

koØm
04-05-2018, 09:37 PM
Did ya try it on 40 for shits and grins?

I only say that because I can get my 40m 1/4 wave to work on 6m; not so much on 15. Huh.

I do pretty good on 40 meters with my "Flying-V" OCF Dipole; I'm all set up for voice on 40 meters, just hit the foot pedal.

I am looking to re-acquire a 20 and 40 meter load for my vertical Hustler MO-1 Mast.