PDA

View Full Version : Rant... FT8...

KD8TUT
03-27-2018, 04:37 PM
Ok... so I've been on an FT8 bender lately. Been enjoying the setup and computer integration side of it as well. Have made about 500 contacts in three weeks.

But....

When oh lord will hams learn that over modulating a digital mode is a no no? Can we grow up now? Please?

WZ7U
03-27-2018, 07:57 PM
Michael, these are the same types that believe in all knobs right at the 11 position is the best output possible. The ones on ssb with their mike gain so high you can hear their wives farts three rooms away with the rugrats screaming in the backgroound and the TV blaring over it all on Inside Edition or TMZ. Send them a macro how their signal is overdriven and they suck for it. I would.

Besides, I see a couple you didn't point out. I bet after three it gets kinda pointless, huh?

Pointless pointing. I made a funny.

KD8TUT
03-27-2018, 08:46 PM
Michael, these are the same types that believe in all knobs right at the 11 position is the best output possible. The ones on ssb with their mike gain so high you can hear their wives farts three rooms away with the rugrats screaming in the backgroound and the TV blaring over it all on Inside Edition or TMZ. Send them a macro how their signal is overdriven and they suck for it. I would.

Besides, I see a couple you didn't point out. I bet after three it gets kinda pointless, huh?

Pointless pointing. I made a funny.

You did...

KG4CGC
03-27-2018, 09:57 PM
Sorry. That was me. I looking for a quick and easy method to get on the air so I just held up the microphone to the computer speaker.

koØm
04-05-2018, 09:24 PM
Ok... so I've been on an FT8 bender lately. Been enjoying the setup and computer integration side of it as well. Have made about 500 contacts in three weeks.

But....

When oh lord will hams learn that over modulating a digital mode is a no no? Can we grow up now? Please?

A better question would be, "When Oh Lawd, when will Licensed Amateur Radio operators stop looking at waterfalls displays and cease to act like Chicken-Banders crying over "Bleed-over" on the channel?

Correct me if I am wrong but, a waterfall display isn't calibrated and is not a "Spectrum Analyzer"; is totally dependent upon the workings of your antenna system, the front end of your radio and the sound card / computer doing the decoding. Nor does not take into consideration that an operator may have a set of stacked Yagis 100 feet in the air, pointed directly down your "Throat".

Maybe "Mother-Nature" has raised her "skirt tails for you" or, "The Skip-Gods are shining down" on somebodies' station.

If his "Over-Modulation" is affecting my radio reception and enjoyment of the hobby, I would (figuratively) "spin the dial" or change bands.

Now, if I had a rant about FT-8, it would be with the "Free-for-all" nature of the FT-8 timing versus JT-65 or JT-9; there was enough time between transmit and receive to allow special people like me to look up the other half of the contact on QRZ and then, personalize my 73 message to him.

Can't do that on FT-8.

What's next, FT-16 where the Transmit-Receive cycle is every 15 seconds?

KD8TUT
04-06-2018, 12:49 AM
A better question would be, "When Oh Lawd, when will Licensed Amateur Radio operators stop looking at waterfalls displays and cease to act like Chicken-Banders crying over "Bleed-over" on the channel?

Correct me if I am wrong but, a waterfall display isn't calibrated and is not a "Spectrum Analyzer"; is totally dependent upon the workings of your antenna system, the front end of your radio and the sound card / computer doing the decoding. Nor does not take into consideration that an operator may have a set of stacked Yagis 100 feet in the air, pointed directly down your "Throat".

According to the FT8 Operating Tips guide available at www.physics.princeton.edu:

"If you get your transmit levels badly wrong (such as the FT8 station labelled 0 in pink below), you mayunknowingly be generating ‘ghostly barcodes’ (1-5): despite looking like some obscure new
digimode, these are audio harmonics caused by generating too much audio output from the PC
sound card which overloads the audio input circuits in the radio"

The operating guide is here: https://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/FT8_Operating_Tips.pdf

Secondarily, something that is not mentioned in the OTG:

The Windows Audio Subsystem, along with software like VAC/Voicemeeter/USB audio codecs, do resampling when an audio signal has too much gain. This is to reduce digital clipping. However, while the digital clipping is mitigated by the resampling, the effect is a compression of the audio which can create artifacts as shown in my waterfall picture (and is also observable on a spectrogram). In effect a widening and distortion of the signal.

This can also be seen in single sideband operation when mic inputs are over driven and ALC compression is applied- regardless of power output.

So the issue isn't the accuracy of the waterfall relative to gain but the evidence of the widening of the signal- especially in consideration of the low power levels used for weak signal modes.

This is often true on the JT modes as well as WSPR. The solution is to back the gain off at the *beginning* of the audio chain and running a DB or two below maximum gain so that your input is -1db into the radio. On more complex audio chains, PC audio might make transit through a few virtual devices before entering the radio so it is important to avoid over driving anything in the chain.

Back to the "Chicken Band"! :)

koØm
04-06-2018, 07:56 AM
According to the FT8 Operating Tips guide available at www.physics.princeton.edu: (http://www.physics.princeton.edu:)

"If you get your transmit levels badly wrong (such as the FT8 station labelled 0 in pink below), you mayunknowingly be generating ‘ghostly barcodes’ (1-5): despite looking like some obscure new
digimode, these are audio harmonics caused by generating too much audio output from the PC
sound card which overloads the audio input circuits in the radio"

The operating guide is here: https://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/FT8_Operating_Tips.pdf

Secondarily, something that is not mentioned in the OTG:

The Windows Audio Subsystem, along with software like VAC/Voicemeeter/USB audio codecs, do resampling when an audio signal has too much gain. This is to reduce digital clipping. However, while the digital clipping is mitigated by the resampling, the effect is a compression of the audio which can create artifacts as shown in my waterfall picture (and is also observable on a spectrogram). In effect a widening and distortion of the signal.

This can also be seen in single sideband operation when mic inputs are over driven and ALC compression is applied- regardless of power output.

So the issue isn't the accuracy of the waterfall relative to gain but the evidence of the widening of the signal- especially in consideration of the low power levels used for weak signal modes.

This is often true on the JT modes as well as WSPR. The solution is to back the gain off at the *beginning* of the audio chain and running a DB or two below maximum gain so that your input is -1db into the radio. On more complex audio chains, PC audio might make transit through a few virtual devices before entering the radio so it is important to avoid over driving anything in the chain.

Back to the "Chicken Band"! :)

Thank you for the edification.

Carry on station.

suddenseer
04-06-2018, 08:06 AM
You guys are so official on the publicly viewed pages. You ought to see the secret rooms!

KD8TUT
04-08-2018, 10:41 AM
You guys are so official on the publicly viewed pages. You ought to see the secret rooms!

What? I'm still not wearing pants.

WZ7U
04-08-2018, 05:28 PM

Funny, I don't feel official. I must've missed the memo.

According to some over yonder I'm the devil for hanging out here. So be it. I'm not going to detail what they are. Deep down they already know.

koØm
04-08-2018, 08:47 PM

What, where are these secret rooms that you speak of??

KG4CGC
04-08-2018, 11:09 PM

KD8TUT
04-30-2018, 03:08 PM
I think I'm mostly off FT8 for a while... been working some sideband and AM- actually talking to people. More enjoyable I think.

WZ7U
04-30-2018, 11:30 PM
Yeah, you can always do the computer thing when you're here on the island. I do hope to catch you and everyone else here on the air sooner than later. It's kinda fun that way.

N8YX
05-02-2018, 10:39 AM
I think I'm mostly off FT8 for a while... been working some sideband and AM- actually talking to people. More enjoyable I think.

And:

Yeah, you can always do the computer thing when you're here on the island. I do hope to catch you and everyone else here on the air sooner than later. It's kinda fun that way.

That yay-yem thing sounds fun, if the bands cooperate. I got the Malcolmized FT-102 back last week and set it up on the table for evaluation. Methinks I'll replace the current 20M rig (an Omni VI/Opt 3) with the FT-102 when I reconfigure the shack in a few weeks. It's been tested around 200w PEP output on 14MHz and I should be able to put a decent AM signal on the band with it.

suddenseer
05-05-2018, 04:46 PM
I had one of these with an excellent case, frame, dials, etc. Every electronic component needed replaced. I had over a room full of round tuits that I purchased over the tears with the full intention of restoration work.My ex was ashamed to show company my shack with all of the accoutrements. We reached a compromise and I sold off the old AM, and other tube equipment. 15716 We broke up shortly after.

My class restored a 1000W Collins commercial AM transmitter, fed into a 1200 ft longwire, and my big dentron in line LOL and tuned it from 1600 kc to 1900 something.The main super power transformer was as good as new. My teacher, and I being the only licensed hams made several daytime contacts with the local, "top banders". We started out making a few contacts on exciter power until we could convince the vocational education administrator to sign to PO for 2 Eimac commercial finals. Everything else, my teacher who worked at an electronics supply store at night, and weekends paid for out of his supply. 15717Neither one of us were able to get permission to operate that station at night, something about master alarms armed all buildings, and it never happened. That would have been cool. I have no idea what happened to it. I graduated, and moved away, my teacher became a silent key. Probably some "supervisor' with a masters in something educational scrapped it for the metal. On edit, I now realize how fortunate I was for others to hear my sexy voice fed with commercial audio feed, into a sweet sounding AM tx. I have wet dreams having that Valiant, or Collins operating ancient Mary on the top band. I am 58, and have only lived at one place that could accommodate a random longwire, or a real, broadcast quality vertical hot tower, fed with smoking hot copper fat diameter ladder line, and real copper grid buried in the ground. I do not see that happening again.

KD8TUT
05-06-2018, 07:15 PM
Had a recent AM contact where the op seemed surprised that a SDR op was interested in using AM.

Apparently my audio was good. Which was nice. Hoping to work some ESSB tonight.

KG4CGC
05-06-2018, 08:11 PM
What? I'm still not wearing pants.

Telefunken!

WØTKX
05-07-2018, 09:54 AM
Had a recent AM contact where the op seemed surprised that a SDR op was interested in using AM.

Apparently my audio was good. Which was nice. Hoping to work some ESSB tonight.

Get a kick out it when they ask what plate modulated rig I'm running on AM.

I let them try to guess for a while. Fun times.

WØTKX
05-07-2018, 09:55 AM
Telefunken!

In leather?

KG4CGC
05-07-2018, 07:08 PM
Get a kick out it when they ask what plate modulated rig I'm running on AM.

I let them try to guess for a while. Fun times.

Do you tell them, Telefunken?

suddenseer
05-07-2018, 08:03 PM
Do you tell them, Telefunken?You got them there fuzzy inserted carrier? Those old ducks were fun to follow around. The R4/T4 Liked to dance it's way into another radio service. I had an old Swan that had 13.9-30mhz. I think it weight 140 pounds. I want the REAL plate modulated AM signal. I will get there some day. A 'real' AM signal heard on a tube type receiver, The listener will receive the full blessin of my sexy AM voice.

KG4CGC
05-07-2018, 10:03 PM
https://telefunken-elektroakustik.com/

WØTKX
05-07-2018, 10:24 PM
Starting at 4:50, and that's Moon Unit, Zappa's Daughter :snicker:

Cause you're the crew slut
I'm into leather
That's good!
Crew slut
A lot of the boys in the crew love leather
And rubber?
Crew slut
Yeah, they like rubber too... shrink-tubing with a hair dryer
Trade your spot on the bench for a guy with a wrench
And be a crew slut
Ha ha ha
You like that, huh?
Crew slut
I told you you'd love it
It's a way of life!
The guys in the crew
Have got a present for you!
A present for me?
We got a present for you!
Whaddya got?
Whaddya gonna give me?
It looks just like a Telefunken U-47
You'll love it
With leather?

So NSFW it will Kill yer Mama... Don't make a fuss, just get on the bus!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wf6LyFjF88

WZ7U
05-08-2018, 01:06 AM

This is the Central Scrutinizer

N8YX
05-08-2018, 09:33 AM
Broken Threads Are For Assholes. :snicker:

N8YX
05-08-2018, 10:06 AM
Slightly back on track:

I wonder what kind of AM signal a properly set up FT-102 and amplifier with enough headroom (Henry 8K Ultra, Ulvin Tremendus IV, Alpha 77SX) is capable of? Obviously, you want to loaf both exciter and PA along in when running in AB1, continuous carrier service...and most amateur amps are rated legal limit with a duty cycle less than 100%. In some cases, a LOT less.

Now if I only had 440v 3ph power in here...

WØTKX
05-08-2018, 10:27 AM
Conventional wisdom states that I can get away with 100-150 watts (carrier) max with the HL-2200

When I try it, I'm gonna watch temps with my laser thermometer

N8YX
05-08-2018, 01:15 PM
Conventional wisdom states that I can get away with 100-150 watts (carrier) max with the HL-2200

When I try it, I'm gonna watch temps with my laser thermometer
Likewise with the FL-2100B or similar amps if proper cooling is provided. The modded FL-101 I have sounds so nice on AM I almost don't want to replace it in the lineup, but I need to redesign parts of the companion receiver (namely, the IF Assembly) in order for it to be really usable on today's bands.

So, the -102 gets the nod.

I really wish Kenwood would have included AM in their TS-820 suite; it's a shame to have a paired R-820 and not be able to take full advantage of that mode when running as twins.

KD8TUT
05-08-2018, 05:28 PM
You got them there fuzzy inserted carrier? Those old ducks were fun to follow around. The R4/T4 Liked to dance it's way into another radio service. I had an old Swan that had 13.9-30mhz. I think it weight 140 pounds. I want the REAL plate modulated AM signal. I will get there some day. A 'real' AM signal heard on a tube type receiver, The listener will receive the full blessin of my sexy AM voice.

You know what the frustrating thing is?

My rig is GPS stabilized to a 10Mhz reference. The biggest problem doing AM is following all these old AM rigs around while they drift.

On a separate non-related note: What is up with DX Engineering? Made a couple of orders with them over the last two weeks- the items arrived here *next day*.

I usually have bad experiences with vendors but these guys are downright impressive.

KD8TUT
05-08-2018, 05:36 PM
In leather?

Schwing!

N8YX
05-09-2018, 08:24 AM
On a separate non-related note: What is up with DX Engineering? Made a couple of orders with them over the last two weeks- the items arrived here *next day*.

I usually have bad experiences with vendors but these guys are downright impressive.

One of my "ham students" works at DX Engineering. That outfit (and the parent company, Summit Racing) are bad places to visit, as the trip usually ends up co$ting me plenty.

DX/Summit does tend to have its stuff together.

KD8TUT
05-09-2018, 10:59 AM
On the bright side: It looks like I'm going to Dayton. My wife just informed me she booked a room for us.

Surprise!

KG4CGC
05-09-2018, 04:20 PM
Broken Threads Are For Assholes. :snicker:

Yeah? But when it's time to do AM Gangsta shit, where's your Telefunken? Where's your rich, smooth sound?

N8YX
05-10-2018, 09:13 AM
Yeah? But when it's time to do AM Gangsta shit, where's your Telefunken? Where's your rich, smooth sound?

I'm Shure I have a solution to that. Fo-foty-fo? :snicker: :lol:

W2NAP
05-10-2018, 11:17 AM

advantage of living in a surrounding state, shit gets here quick mostly next day. if the happen to not ship till day after order then two days but still next day.. unless UPS or FedEx happen to crash.... then well who knows

suddenseer
05-10-2018, 10:27 PM
I'm Shure I have a solution to that. Fo-foty-fo? :snicker: :lol:Show up ugly at the ball.

KD8TUT
05-10-2018, 10:51 PM
advantage of living in a surrounding state, shit gets here quick mostly next day. if the happen to not ship till day after order then two days but still next day.. unless UPS or FedEx happen to crash.... then well who knows

Yea that is probably true. I've just had such problems with other vendors and those guys seem to always come through. I'm not a fanboi. Just appreciate the lack of hassle.

KD8TUT
05-11-2018, 12:01 AM
Crap... now I'm not going to Dayton.

Grrrr....

WZ7U
05-11-2018, 12:38 AM
Of course not. You were going to Xenia.

Unless.... :irked: :wtf:

N8YX
05-11-2018, 09:09 AM
I'm done $spending for a while, unless I can locate a few accessories for my Stoner Pro-40 setup.

WØTKX
05-11-2018, 11:28 PM
Speaking of Shure, they are dropping the cartridge and stylus turntable bidness.

Wow.

N8YX
05-12-2018, 10:16 AM
Probably not a lot of demand these days, but is anyone else in that industry segment still producing turntable supplies?

W2NAP
05-12-2018, 11:32 AM
Yea that is probably true. I've just had such problems with other vendors and those guys seem to always come through. I'm not a fanboi. Just appreciate the lack of hassle.

ive had good luck with dxeng and r+l both. I could easy drive to R+L but order online to avoid sales tax and normally here next day. other places i have ordered from seems to take a few days.

also seen you on ft8 the other day..... well at least someone was working you.

KD8TUT
05-12-2018, 07:43 PM
I love 30 meters!

W2NAP
05-12-2018, 09:47 PM
I love 30 meters!

me too

30 meter gang yo

KD8TUT
05-13-2018, 12:04 AM
me too

30 meter gang yo

Represent yo!

WZ7U
05-13-2018, 12:09 PM
You doing FT8 on 30 or cw?

KD8TUT
05-13-2018, 12:19 PM
You doing FT8 on 30 or cw?

FT8.

WZ7U
05-13-2018, 01:25 PM
Cool. I guess I need to get on the robot modes too. I feel so left behind.... :spin:

KD8TUT
05-14-2018, 01:45 PM
Cool. I guess I need to get on the robot modes too. I feel so left behind.... :spin:

With the bands as dead as they are- it's a way to stay active. Thought I still work my other modes.

KD8TUT
05-15-2018, 01:14 PM
Just made Greenland on 17 meters. Made my day!

WZ7U
05-15-2018, 03:04 PM
FT8 or other?

I made my first contact with this call to the Cook Islands on 17 ssb, about 13 months ago. Good work Mike!

KD8TUT
05-15-2018, 08:40 PM
FT8 or other?

I made my first contact with this call to the Cook Islands on 17 ssb, about 13 months ago. Good work Mike!

Yea it was cool. Been chasing countries I've not made contact with lately... Just for kicks.

WZ7U
05-15-2018, 08:58 PM
It would be kickier from Route 66.....

N8YX
05-16-2018, 09:25 AM
With the bands as dead as they are- it's a way to stay active. Thought I still work my other modes.
Is everyone experiencing lousy lower HF (< 25MHz) band conditions, or is it just me/my antennas?

Honestly, I cannot remember when 40M was this broken - though there's a nice Sporadic E opening helping out the upper HF spectrum at the moment.

WZ7U
05-16-2018, 08:36 PM
I most certainly am experiencing the same conditions in CN86jc :wtf:

KD8TUT
05-16-2018, 11:07 PM
Is everyone experiencing lousy lower HF (< 25MHz) band conditions, or is it just me/my antennas?

Honestly, I cannot remember when 40M was this broken - though there's a nice Sporadic E opening helping out the upper HF spectrum at the moment.

Well, things are worse than in 2013 when I became licensed. I've still made some good contacts. Still having fun.

Maybe in 5 years I'll really be having fun.

W7XF
05-17-2018, 08:52 AM
It would be kickier from Route 66.....

That could be arranged...:dance:

W2NAP
05-17-2018, 12:44 PM

seem dead here i keep thinking antenna is broken.

Just made Greenland on 17 meters. Made my day!

got VK9LI this morning on 30m

KD8TUT
05-17-2018, 01:51 PM
seem dead here i keep thinking antenna is broken.

got VK9LI this morning on 30m

I hope it made your day!!!

W2NAP
05-17-2018, 02:21 PM
I hope it made your day!!!

it made not being able to sleep at all last night somewhat worthwhile. was disappointed in lack of any other signals, they seemed to be the only thing on the band

N8YX
05-18-2018, 11:57 AM
Whatever was generating the 10/S9 noise on HF is now gone, and in its place signals have returned.

I wonder if something of a wideband, low level noise source just inside my skip zone was effectively propagating into the area. I also wonder if that noise source might have been solar in origin, and with enhanced ionospheric propagation that noise is now being reflected back into space. This would make sense, as the peak of the noise level occurred from roughly 11AM-3PM and the sun's position at that time coincides with the southern major lobe of two of my antennas.

WZ7U
05-18-2018, 12:57 PM
I heard there were some geomagnetic storms of late, some supposed to be strong. I haven't turned the radio on in days because HF has sucked that bad here and a lot of that has to do with being vertical only right now. Your post makes me want to see if things have improved yet. Edit: A quick check showed 20m with an S5 background noise and 40m with an S7. Better, but signals were weak too.

There is the post over yonder in the news about the last solar storm which sort of explains it, at least to this dummy.

Sometimes this helps - http://www.spaceweather.com/
(http://www.spaceweather.com/)

KD8TUT
05-18-2018, 04:04 PM
Whatever was generating the 10/S9 noise on HF is now gone, and in its place signals have returned.

I wonder if something of a wideband, low level noise source just inside my skip zone was effectively propagating into the area. I also wonder if that noise source might have been solar in origin, and with enhanced ionospheric propagation that noise is now being reflected back into space. This would make sense, as the peak of the noise level occurred from roughly 11AM-3PM and the sun's position at that time coincides with the southern major lobe of two of my antennas.

Seen that before...

Usually if the noise can't be cancelled out with phase cancellation- it's non local. Saw a lot of that over the last 7 days with the sun doing interesting things and a relatively high MUF at night.

KD8TUT
05-21-2018, 09:33 PM
Just made an FT8 contact with ER100 in Moldovia.

Had to actually look at a map...

N8YX
05-22-2018, 08:03 AM
I need to get this set up on the station computer right next to me and interface said PC to the Paragon-II right next to it. We're playing on 30M mostly, right?

KD8TUT
05-22-2018, 11:21 AM
I need to get this set up on the station computer right next to me and interface said PC to the Paragon-II right next to it. We're playing on 30M mostly, right?

That one was on 40. Yes I'm doing a lot of 30. But not just 30 :)

W2NAP
05-22-2018, 10:59 PM

im playing on 30m 99% of the time cause well, the vertical sucks on 20-10 and doorknob caps cracked on the 80/40 coils. but damn it works good on 30

n6hcm
05-22-2018, 11:47 PM
ive had good luck with dxeng and r+L... .

I just shopped on monday and tuesday...

Dxeng: shopped Monday mid-day (edt)... Shipped on Tuesday... Arrives here on weds.
Hro: shopped Monday mid-day... Shipped Monday after the close of business from their NH store. Arrives on weds.
Gigaparts: shopped this afternoon, shipped today by FedEx, scheduled to arrive a week from weds (!)

W2NAP
05-23-2018, 08:28 AM
I just shopped on monday and tuesday...

Dxeng: shopped Monday mid-day (edt)... Shipped on Tuesday... Arrives here on weds.
Hro: shopped Monday mid-day... Shipped Monday after the close of business from their NH store. Arrives on weds.
Gigaparts: shopped this afternoon, shipped today by FedEx, scheduled to arrive a week from weds (!)

over a week to get something from gigaparts? i for sure won't be going there

n6hcm
05-24-2018, 02:10 AM
Yeah. I'm kinda underwhelmed. They used ups sure post, which is lame.

W2NAP
05-24-2018, 11:11 AM
Yeah. I'm kinda underwhelmed. They used ups sure post, which is lame.

i try and use r+l as much as i can, since it is always next day. and if worst. i just drive the hr down and get it

suddenseer
05-25-2018, 11:23 AM
i try and use r+l as much as i can, since it is always next day. and if worst. i just drive the hr down and get itThat is my local candy store. I like to just go there, and look.

KD8TUT
05-25-2018, 12:24 PM
I think I bought 800ft of LMR400 from R+L. They took good care of me.

KD8TUT
05-25-2018, 12:25 PM
Was very happy to make a confirmed contact with Israel last night. Was shocked that it worked out!!

W2NAP
05-27-2018, 10:47 AM
Was very happy to make a confirmed contact with Israel last night. Was shocked that it worked out!!

that is one i been trying for a very long time. just never see them. s.e. asia is another.

KD8TUT
05-27-2018, 11:15 AM

KD8TUT
05-27-2018, 11:21 AM
that is one i been trying for a very long time. just never see them. s.e. asia is another.

Well it's become easier to spot some of these stations now that I've got JTAlert customized for certain audio alerts. So the computer starts making noise when a desirable call comes up. I've also got the JTAlert display color coded so at a glance I can focus in on the calls that might be more interesting.

It's a combination of luck and preparedness. Maybe mostly luck.

When I'm calling CQ I answer *anything*. When answering Calls I get a little more picky if there is interesting stuff on the band..

KD8TUT
05-27-2018, 11:30 AM
Here's what my JTAlert monitor looks like:

W2NAP
05-28-2018, 08:17 PM
mostly i just don't hear them. s.e. asia also just don't hear.. but can get them auzzie giving me -3 sig reports lol. JA another tough one for me. I have got a couple but very rough. Eastern Russia however, not a problem. if i hear them i can get them. usually very strong sig rpts as well.

N8YX
05-29-2018, 08:19 AM

Many, many years ago (late 70s, to be exact) while tuning around on my DX160 I ran across Kol Yisrael broadcasting on 29.750MHz. This was back in the day when the country had an SWBC service, and when the spots/planets/stars actually aligned in a budding SWL's favor.

Sent a report in. Got a QSL card back.

That card - along with many others I collected - are relics of history, the issuing stations obsoleted in part by the medium we're now using.

KD8TUT
06-06-2018, 01:12 PM
Was playing around on 6 and 10 meters... decided to hit the CB frequencies.... What a mess...

KD8TUT
06-06-2018, 01:15 PM
Egads......

KG4CGC
06-06-2018, 01:48 PM
Egads......

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator (https://forums.hamisland.net/sendmessage.php)

KD8TUT
06-06-2018, 01:52 PM
Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator (https://forums.hamisland.net/sendmessage.php)

Edited :)

W2NAP
06-10-2018, 11:42 AM
Egads......

dats how we roll on da bowl

N8YX
06-10-2018, 05:59 PM
dats how we roll on da bowl
"Don't blame me for your own (receiver's) inadequicies..." - Associate of P. Minista

W2NAP
06-10-2018, 07:48 PM
Arkansas QSO results in. this guy #1 in Indiana with a big 171 score...
worked it just for the hell of it too.

koØm
06-11-2018, 07:22 PM
"Don't blame me for your own (receiver's) inadequicies..." - Associate of P. Minista

Where's the "Like" button?

K7SGJ
06-11-2018, 09:45 PM
Many, many years ago (late 70s, to be exact) while tuning around on my DX160 I ran across Kol Yisrael broadcasting on 29.750MHz. This was back in the day when the country had an SWBC service, and when the spots/planets/stars actually aligned in a budding SWL's favor.

Sent a report in. Got a QSL card back.

That card - along with many others I collected - are relics of history, the issuing stations obsoleted in part by the medium we're now using.

Along those lines, here is an honest to God, no shit, it really happened situation that I found myself in, back in my early days of radio.(And no Gerry, it wasn't the spark gag era) It was a couple of years before I got my ticket. Christmas of '59 0r '60, found me asking Santa for a shortwave receiver. I was studying for the Novice exam and figured I could improve my code proficiency if i started copying real on air QSOs. I'm fairly well sure that Santa got a double hernia when deposited that used RME-84 under the tree. I strung a long wire from my room to the telephone pole in the alley, and hooked it up to the receiver. Although the radio had so-so sensitivity, and not so-so selectivity, I was able to find a lot of CW QSOs and it did help me get my speed and accuracy up to a respectable rate. I was also listening to "numbers" radio transmissions, and broadcast radio stations from all over the world. And, like you Luke, I would send signal reports to them and I would get either a QSL card, or a letter from the station thanking me for the signal report and they would tell me about the station and some even sent photos. It was a lot of fun for an 11 or 12 year old.

One night I was tuning around, which could be done by merely bumping the radio, when I heard radio Havana. They were really putting a big signal in to Arizona, and so I listened for awhile. I don't remember where I found their address, but I did, and I sent them one of my "home made" QSL cards. I made them out of 3x5 file cards, and I had my SWL call sign on the top in various colors that I used a template and colored pencils to make. Each one took quite awhile to make, but I had no money for a real store bought card from C Fritz or one of the other QSL print shops. But I digress.

About a month later I received a nice letter from them, and they sent a whole shit pot full of photos of their station. They were of the transmitters, antennas, control rooms, on and off air staff, and some others of places around the island. Pretty cool. About another month or so later, I received another letter from them explaining who the broadcasts were targeted to, and a bunch of commie propaganda. This continued for some time, and I couldn't get them to lay off. Somewhere around six or seven months later, I was in my room listening to the radio. I subconsciously heard the door bell ring and my Mom yelled "I'll get it". A few minutes later my Mom brought this guy who was wearing a black suit back to my room. I had no idea what was going on, but my Mom was visibly shook up, and her face had pretty much lost most of its color. She tells me that this guy wants to talk to me, alone. She leaves, and this guy shuts the door, slowly turns around, stares at me for what seemed like an eternity, and then whips out his badge and Id, making sure that I saw the rig under his jacket that held his pistol. Mr FBI it was. He tells me they have been monitoring Communist radio broadcasts and mail coming to me from Cuba. Now he wants me to explain, from the beginning, how it was that I was continuing to receive letters of propaganda from Radio Havana. I told him how it happened and that I was trying to get them to stop sending me all their bullshit letters, but that they wouldn't quit. He said that the FBI was keeping a close eye on letters of dubious origin from Communist countries. Needless to say, being "interviewed" by one of J. Edgar Hoovers' band of merry men scared the living shit out of me. It might have been different if the guy had a personality or sense of humor, but I guess the FBI doesn't issue those things out to their personnel. Anyway, he said to cease and desist any further correspondence with Cuba or any other Communist Country I might hear on the radio.

All I could think of as he was leaving was, what an asshole.

WZ7U
06-11-2018, 09:52 PM
Fucking communist sympathizer.

At least it wasn't K that interviewed you.

:rotflol:

that was a joke, son - Foghorn Leghorn

suddenseer
06-12-2018, 08:48 AM
I am seeing a half century old doctrine of not trusting 7 land stations. Wa that initiated by Barry Yellow stream?

WØTKX
06-12-2018, 11:18 AM
All I could think of as he was leaving was, what an asshole.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fe/ac/c2/feacc2fd3be7ed6d81e237daaeb41c5a.jpg

KD8TUT
06-14-2018, 07:41 PM
Back doing sideband. Made a sporadic contact on 10. And a couple on 17.

Had fun. Hoping to find an AM QSO later tonight.

WZ7U
06-14-2018, 09:02 PM
Have you been successful?

KD8TUT
06-15-2018, 06:42 AM
Have you been successful?

Nope... could not find any AM last night at all except for the 40 meter shortwave intruders.