PDA

View Full Version : 5 watts!!!!

KD8TUT
01-30-2018, 09:28 PM
Was watching the State of the Union while running WSPR....

Guess who showed up? 5 watts....

KG4CGC
01-30-2018, 10:37 PM
DOG! No way!

K7SGJ
01-30-2018, 10:55 PM
See. When you grease the antenna, those low power electrons can slide off at super-speed, covering great distances. It all about overcoming resistance, and having the capacity to put aside your reluctance.

Who gnu?

KG4CGC
01-30-2018, 11:11 PM
See. When you grease the antenna, those low power electrons can slide off at super-speed, covering great distances. It all about overcoming resistance, and having the capacity to put aside your reluctance.

Who gnu?

I greased my antenna last Sunday.
To make it slide over the tree branches.

KD8TUT
01-31-2018, 06:30 AM
DOG! No way!

Me too.

N8YX
01-31-2018, 07:26 AM
Nice!

I had good luck with an HW-8 back in the day...though its control suite was lacking.

If I get the urge to play low-power HF, a TS-130V, TS-660 and FT-726R w/ HF module fitted are my choices. None does true break-in CW, though.

WZ7U
01-31-2018, 03:52 PM
Wow Mike! 5 watts! Now that's going the distance. Kinda how I felt as a lowly CBer in the 70's being heard in Australia. Cool.

suddenseer
02-01-2018, 03:27 PM
Way too cool :clap:

koØm
02-05-2018, 01:34 PM
I greased my antenna last Sunday.
To make it slide over the tree branches.

Antenna Grease also increases "Skin Effect", makes it easier for your radio signals to skin off yo' antenna into space, be blessed by the "Skip-Gods" and, be reflected back down into "DX-Land".

Wow Mike! 5 watts! Now that's going the distance. Kinda how I felt as a lowly CBer in the 70's being heard in Australia. Cool.

For me, it was Alaska and Russia (with 5 minutes of each other) and, "The Mini-Grass" (Hawaii). Back in the 70's, I could hear the Aussies but, they never heard me.

Wonder whatever became of "The Arrostock County Whipsters", a CB Club in the state of Maine; received dozens of Q-Cards from their members; betcha most of them moved on to Amateur Radio.

KG4CGC
02-05-2018, 03:14 PM
I used wheel bearing grease.

WZ7U
02-05-2018, 04:10 PM
Aw man, now all you will get are hairy legged truck drivers

KG4CGC
02-05-2018, 09:08 PM
Antenna Grease also increases "Skin Effect", makes it easier for your radio signals to skin off yo' antenna into space, be blessed by the "Skip-Gods" and, be reflected back down into "DX-Land".

<snip>

Sig line material right there I tell ya what. Mind if I use it?

koØm
02-05-2018, 11:18 PM
Sig line material right there I tell ya what. Mind if I use it?

My gift to you from the 70's.

"Seventy-threes, Eighty-eights and, Forty-fours from me and mine to you and yours."

WZ7U
02-06-2018, 07:27 AM
:clap: :rock: :lol:

w2amr
02-07-2018, 04:11 AM

15634Good job!

WZ7U
02-07-2018, 05:28 AM
Sometimes I feel like I'm getting 5 watts out with a hundred in!

I'm not familiar with WSPR, so I'm going to have to figure that one out. Digital is a bucket list item for me, and since I almost kicked the bucket around Christmas, I better get on it right now!

Cool Michael, have you been able to duplicate it yet?

KD8TUT
02-08-2018, 06:44 PM
Sometimes I feel like I'm getting 5 watts out with a hundred in!

I'm not familiar with WSPR, so I'm going to have to figure that one out. Digital is a bucket list item for me, and since I almost kicked the bucket around Christmas, I better get on it right now!

Cool Michael, have you been able to duplicate it yet?

Yup... the following night it was two way... I was heard in Antarctica and was hearing Antarctica.

Nothing from down there since. But was thrilled to make the trip.

koØm
02-08-2018, 07:14 PM
Yup... the following night it was two way... I was heard in Antarctica and was hearing Antarctica.

Nothing from down there since. But was thrilled to make the trip.

Which band?

KD8TUT
02-08-2018, 07:19 PM
Which band?

Was 40 meters...

WZ7U
02-08-2018, 07:46 PM
Awesome!
OK I missed time of day when you did it. I'm good on 40, voice and morse only. My morse sucks but if you're patient it works :lol: Antarctica Here I come! :spin:

KD8TUT
02-08-2018, 08:32 PM
Awesome!
OK I missed time of day when you did it. I'm good on 40, voice and morse only. My morse sucks but if you're patient it works :lol: Antarctica Here I come! :spin:

It was during the Fate of the Orangutan address....

WZ7U
02-08-2018, 10:28 PM
Fate of the Orangutan address....

:rotflol:

So, our evening then. Thanks, I guess if I had payed more attention, since you did say something about Cheeto Mussolini.
I will have to steal yet more time away from school, since the computer and the rig are in two different locations currently. I'm wasting too much time here and over yonder as it is anyway. I hope to have that location thing fixed eventually, it will only take 1 hole in the wall right there...

koØm
04-12-2018, 08:13 PM

I'm gonna WSPR tonight.

suddenseer
04-13-2018, 02:55 PM

Who gnu?I love the wisdom of the old timers.

suddenseer
04-13-2018, 03:06 PM

Nothing from down there since. But was thrilled to make the trip.Very good catch. I got lucky once. I had a 2 min QSO fm simplex 2M 146.55 I think. I was signing off with a friend on local briar simplex channel. Boom! N8TB this is R0MIR in a choppy picket fence signal that jumped to full quieting. He did not say much but, wowsers what a footprint. I did not know that they had licensed hams on the crew. I sent a QSL card to their manager, and about 19 months later, after I had moved, I received the card.

suddenseer
04-13-2018, 03:12 PM

Nothing from down there since. But was thrilled to make the trip.Very good catch. I got lucky once. I had a 2 min QSO fm simplex 2M 146.55 I think. I was signing off with a friend on local briar simplex channel. Boom! N8TB this is R0MIR in a choppy picket fence signal that jumped to full quieting. He did not say much but, wowsers what a footprint. I did not know that they had licensed hams on the crew. I sent a QSL card to their manager, and about 19 months later, after I had moved, I received the card. It was not a computer ticket punch out, it was filled in by hand, and signed. My name, and address was the only English on the card. Wish I could find it.