PDA

View Full Version : In The Slow Lane On The Information Highway

koØm
01-18-2018, 12:16 PM
I remember when the Internet was "Fun", I've been on the net since 1995 (http://www.network54.com/Forum/122739/message/992015565/%26quot%3BPssssssst%26quot%3B%2C+The+Sound+Of+The+ %26quot%3BRock%26quot%3B+Opening+A+Can+of+%26quot% 3BWHUP-A%2A%2A%26quot%3B+%21) used, a i486 DX-2 CPU based computer, 8 Megs of RAM with, my first Operating System being Window 3.1 and, America Online Dial-up (14.4Kb) modem was my access portal to the Web.

Good times were had in Yahoo Chat rooms using "Boot Codes" (buffer overflows) via PMs to knock people out of the chat rooms or, to execute a code string in the chat room and kick everybody out who wasn't protected; it was a game then, everybody in the chat room played. There were other things like "Password Stealers" that could be used to Hi-jack someone's Yahoo account (they got mine). Yahoo kept updating Messenger but, as soon a new version came out, the Visual Basic writers would put together string to defeat the new code.

Being a Troll and a hell raiser was even better when I hosted images on my own server; I would often post something with a picture attached and then, when someone "Quoted me", my posted image showed up in their message but, what I did was to switch the file names on the server so that the image displayed in the quoted message was a "Goatse" while, the image in my message was not. Funny shiz back then.

But, I have retired from all of that but recently, a reminder of it popped up; what if, you made a "Non-PG" video 20 years ago and it "Appeared", would you destroy it out of embarrassment or, would you keep it for prosperity sake?

WZ7U
01-18-2018, 12:49 PM
Great memories Mel. I never got really into it till about '98 and never to the level you describe, but I remember having "family chat" rooms where I had to boot out uninvited weirdos so my mom wouldn't blush. Great fun.

The video; If it made me filthy rich like it did for Kim K, well, I'd have to consider it. I could use it to pay the hospital for starters. :spin: Otherwise, delete, delete, delete

Mel, I only now discovered the portal to your blog. I am most impressed by that and how you smart guys manage to embed the coolest shit. Also, your signature line itself provokes me to do better mentally, which is no small task being raised by right wing believers in a hallucinatory world.

N8YX
01-18-2018, 12:57 PM
Hams ops making amateur pr0n.

Something about "What has been seen..." comes to mind here.

WZ7U
01-18-2018, 12:59 PM
Do you mean fat guys with wheels poking out their butts? Yeah, now I need the eye bleach. Here, you missed a spot...

kb2crk
01-18-2018, 06:52 PM
Hams ops making amateur pr0n.

Something about "What has been seen..." comes to mind here.

I will plead the fifth........

koØm
01-18-2018, 08:55 PM
I will plead the fifth........

I will not plead the filth........

suddenseer
01-18-2018, 09:18 PM
I'll drink the fifth.

WZ7U
01-18-2018, 10:22 PM
Is this really the fifth filth?

WØTKX
01-19-2018, 12:20 AM
IRC chat channel shennanigans FTW. :rock:

KB3LAZ
01-19-2018, 01:20 PM
In 1995 I was learning how to write in cursive. :icon_wink: I don't think we had computer lab until 98/99 and those were mac. You know, I don't even remember what we actually did in computer lab or at least not what we were supposed to do. I remember playing silly games but that is about it. That is about the time I got my first PC at home, a Dell laptop with win 98, I still have it and it still works. I can not say that about any of my other older computers...they all died, lol.

n2ize
01-21-2018, 02:41 PM
Ooowagga !