PDA

View Full Version : My Gripe: Lowering Ocean Levels

koØm
01-17-2018, 01:58 PM
Not that long ago, in a parallel dimension of the Ether, a website called the “Island of Misfit Hams” was established as an alternative to “Fred-co” by a group of Amateur Radio enthusiast whose intelligence's and sensitivities were being insulted by low-brow sycophantic appliance operators.

While, we had the radio hobby in common, our group had ideologies and lifestyles that were not consistent with the day-to-day Rag-chewer “Over Yonder.”

For the longest time, the situation was “Them-against-us” while, we sat back and derided the hypocrisy of the Moderation, the self aggrandizement of “The WIK”, “The Gym Teacher” and, the other Wizards of knowledge who stunk up the place.

As people aged, and the websites evolved, boats from the mainland bought more tourists to our happy little island, in fact, at one time, a land bridge seemed to form allowing all manner of stray dogs and cats and feral creatures to invade our paradise; we needed an “Invasive species act” to keep the riff-raff/floatsum and jettison at bay.

The IOMH has always offered a refuge to free thinkers and progressives. The Island has always open it’s beaches to all and made them welcome, websites thrive on new blood and ideas; but that doesn't mean that they (the newcomers) had a pass to stay when they became un-neighborly.

As good as things can seem from the outside, there can be problems behind the curtains; we on the Island found ourselves in that position after unexpected situations cause change in hosting and ownership. To stay afloat technically, changes had to be made on the back-end of the site; certainly if this site was running ads and selling subscriptions we could have farmed the job out but, we don’t.

Although we have many members capable of technically administrating the site, those people had no time or desire to take on the task. One of the newcomers offered to attend to the task and, the ownership took him up on his offer.

As a member only entering from the front door, I am grateful on one hand and 4 fingers that the site has managed to stay afloat but, the atmosphere and climate has changed; to be candid, loyal members with years of time here have deserted The Island because of the effects of the Invasive Species.

WZ7U
01-17-2018, 03:20 PM
:confused::popcorn: This ought to be good........

My 0.02,
unfortunately, people left because of their inability to adapt their sensibilities to show some tolerance for other beliefs, even if it went against their own. I guess tolerance isn't some peoples strong suit. Which is odd because that was exactly the vibe they exuded. Go figure.

koØm
01-17-2018, 03:57 PM
:confused::popcorn: This ought to be good........

My 0.02,
unfortunately, people left because of their inability to adapt their sensibilities to show some tolerance for other beliefs, even if it went against their own. I guess tolerance isn't some peoples strong suit. Which is odd because that was exactly the vibe they exuded. Go figure.

Quite the opposite.

When the beliefs and actions of others become so aberrant, you don't try to change the people around you, you change the people you are around.

WZ7U
01-17-2018, 04:21 PM
Alright I get that. Makes good sense. But, instead of dancing around the point, who exactly are you thinking of while writing this? Just come out and say it.

koØm
01-17-2018, 07:01 PM
Alright I get that. Makes good sense. But, instead of dancing around the point, who exactly are you thinking of while writing this? Just come out and say it.

ROTFLMAO!

It ain't you!

WZ7U
01-17-2018, 08:19 PM
:spin: Cool, I guess. I only put it that way because even here I feel a misfitted misfit, so I guess that's why I love it here so much. But hey, my point is, if you have a gripe with a particular someone(s) just come out with it. See, I'm not particularly diplomatic most times. More so now after this double bypass - every day is more precious than I can possibly imagine because they said if I had waited even another day I would be dead. Shocked the fuck right out of me! All of it in a big ole glob. See I don't have time for pussy footing around anymore; the part of me that did that has been evicted.

If I have an issue with something I put it right out there, which is what gets threads disappeared in the case of eHam (with a trip to the cornfield about a year back) and I've managed to stay out of the cornfield over yonder by a friggin micron sometimes, so I'm not the best one to emulate. At least here you guys put up with my shit and for that I'm eternally grateful. Thank you one and all.

All this to say, maybe I am misreading what you're saying. Maybe it's not an individual, perhaps a group thing or something even more esoteric than that. I've misunderstood your posts before and for that I apologize. Not sure why that happens between us but I would like to understand better. Plus, it seems I'm the only one engaging the thread which in itself is weird.

So, like they say in the 3 knob radio service, I'm back out.

K7SGJ
01-17-2018, 08:49 PM
:spin: Cool, I guess. I only put it that way because even here I feel a misfitted misfit, so I guess that's why I love it here so much. But hey, my point is, if you have a gripe with a particular someone(s) just come out with it. See, I'm not particularly diplomatic most times. More so now after this double bypass - every day is more precious than I can possibly imagine because they said if I had waited even another day I would be dead. Shocked the fuck right out of me! All of it in a big ole glob. See I don't have time for pussy footing around anymore; the part of me that did that has been evicted.

If I have an issue with something I put it right out there, which is what gets threads disappeared in the case of eHam (with a trip to the cornfield about a year back) and I've managed to stay out of the cornfield over yonder by a friggin micron sometimes, so I'm not the best one to emulate. At least here you guys put up with my shit and for that I'm eternally grateful. Thank you one and all.

All this to say, maybe I am misreading what you're saying. Maybe it's not an individual, perhaps a group thing or something even more esoteric than that. I've misunderstood your posts before and for that I apologize. Not sure why that happens between us but I would like to understand better. Plus, it seems I'm the only one engaging the thread which in itself is weird.

So, like they say in the 3 knob radio service, I'm back out.

I have kept on the powers that be to throw yer ass out. But, no one listens to me, so I guess your safe. bastids

WZ7U
01-17-2018, 09:06 PM
I wish Janet and Carl would come back. I would go into voluntary exile if that would bring them back.

I know it won't help, it's just my martyr complex oozing out again. Kinda like this torn incision. Fuck.

Keep trying Eddie, don't give up on your dreams. :slap:

I love ya man!

WØTKX
01-17-2018, 09:51 PM
Well.

That's Deep.

WØTKX
01-17-2018, 09:56 PM
I dunno. I feel like a stranger in a strange land with Ham Radio for the most part.

Get attacked immediately if I question the values and morals of our "Dear Leader".
I've grown accustomed to being a pretenda-publican.

About the only place that I am myself is here, and the WARFA net.

Long ago when we had hosting issues, some folks started hanging out on IRC.
Have not been there in a long time. The Pope is having fun on Twitter.

At 26k+ posts, I'm not giving up, and I still vote. ;)

KD8TUT
01-17-2018, 10:21 PM
I wish Janet and Carl would come back.

I wish that would happen too.

Feels like I stepped into a minefield trying to escape the craziness of the other sites. I'll continue taking care of the technical parts of the site. But I'll rarely post.

If the site is to continue and thrive, the community here will need to settle whatever issues exist.

I'll be in the corner moving the bits around.

WZ7U
01-17-2018, 10:35 PM
Pretenda-publican. That is so precious. And ingenious. Nice Dave!
Makes me want to jam their dumb fuck asses but even I know 100 watts isn't going to accomplish anything against all those 2kw output guys out there spouting that shit. Someday..... Anyway, I hear the same shit when I get the opportunity to utilize the SDR's out there since my 75 dipole bit it recently and I've not the energy or the inclination to put it back up since the common mounting area I have won't let it play nice with the 40m verticals elevated radials I'm guessing. Time to get off my ass and get the loop up but again, won't be doing anything for quite a while I fear. That and school, I'm really tapped out for spare anything right now, in fact I'm a bit overwhelmed with what I've got myself signed on for. But enough whining from me! You don't want to hear that stuff. Fuck, I sound like 75 meters colostomy net! Just kill me now.

So, if the ocean levels are lowering maybe we can find Eddies long lost virginity so he can start over again. And maybe that long lost class ring.

WZ7U
01-17-2018, 10:39 PM
Feels like I stepped into a minefield trying to escape the craziness of the other sites. But I'll rarely post.

I snipped you up a bit Mike, only to highlight what I would miss about being here. Please reconsider.

WZ7U
01-17-2018, 10:40 PM
WHY THE FUCK CAN'T EVERYBODY JUST GET A BONG? er, ALONG?

KD8TUT
01-17-2018, 11:00 PM
I snipped you up a bit Mike, only to highlight what I would miss about being here. Please reconsider.

I'm here... doing my job. :)

WZ7U
01-17-2018, 11:27 PM
Well, yes that is definitely appreciated. Thank you for keeping the great and mighty OZ functioning flawlessly. Hey, do you ever get the urge to take your hose and your stuffed animal and go to Kansas?

Pop in from time to time. You are missed.

WZ7U
01-18-2018, 01:35 AM

K4PIH
01-18-2018, 11:09 AM
Meh, sometimes I feel piled on, but that's ok cause it's worth it to hear other perspectives and have mine appreciated sometimes. Sanity is where you find it.