PDA

View Full Version : Christmas present

w2amr
01-02-2018, 06:45 AM
My wife got me this cool little radio kit for Christmas. It uses two 1T4 tubes. I fired it up for the first time yesterday, and was surprised how well it works. Instead of headphones, I'm using a pair of amplified computer speakers.

PA5COR
01-02-2018, 09:12 AM
Nice ;)

KG4CGC
01-02-2018, 09:48 AM
:bbh::giggity:

K4PIH
01-02-2018, 09:55 AM
Nice! All my wife ever gives me is bills!

WZ7U
01-02-2018, 11:31 AM
Wow George! That's a nifty project. Audio to computer speakers is an interesting touch too. What sort of coverage does it provide?

K7SGJ
01-02-2018, 02:11 PM
Nice! All my wife ever gives me is bills!

Huh, must be a duck?

W5BRM
01-02-2018, 02:27 PM
Got a link to the kit? Looks cool. Difficulty level?

w2amr
01-02-2018, 04:28 PM
Got a link to the kit? Looks cool. Difficulty level?It's a pretty easy build. The hardest part is winding the coil. That and dealing with the pre drilled holes that don't line up for the front panel and the coil form. Here is the link for the receiver. https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/radio-kit-2-tube-regenerative-radio
The 1T4 tubes are sold separately.

w2amr
01-02-2018, 04:37 PM
Wow George! That's a nifty project. Audio to computer speakers is an interesting touch too. What sort of coverage does it provide? They said it can cover short wave and broadcast band. I tried the short wave taps on the coil, but all I hear is line noise. It receives the AM broadcast band pretty well. I used five 9 volt batteries in series for the plate , and one D cell for the filaments. Using my ground mounted Butternut vertical for the antenna.

WZ7U
01-02-2018, 04:42 PM
Still cool.

AA1OH
01-02-2018, 05:46 PM
You posted the wrong link, try: https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/radio-kit-2-tube-regenerative-radio
I had a crystal set (45 years ago) the was AM/Shortwave that worked well. Did pull in only Hilversum Holland on shortwave.

w2amr
01-03-2018, 03:21 AM
You posted the wrong link, try: https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/radio-kit-2-tube-regenerative-radio
I had a crystal set (45 years ago) the was AM/Shortwave that worked well. Did pull in only Hilversum Holland on shortwave.Whoops, my bad. Correction made. sorry.

W5BRM
01-03-2018, 08:04 AM
It's a pretty easy build. The hardest part is winding the coil. That and dealing with the pre drilled holes that don't line up for the front panel and the coil form. Here is the link for the receiver. https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/radio-kit-2-tube-regenerative-radio
The 1T4 tubes are sold separately.

Thanks! I'm not much of a kit builder but I might give this a shot later this year when work slows down.

N8YX
01-03-2018, 11:09 AM
I had my nephew winding coils like that at age 5 or so, following in my footsteps (I started building things around age 7).

Would be cool to have given him a such a gift as a present. As it were, Snap-Kits has a receiver in their product lineup and I think that was one of the add-ons to his collection 'DSG and I got for him over the years.

You ever try your hand at homebrewing a spiderweb regen, George?

AA1OH
01-03-2018, 02:17 PM
I had my nephew winding coils like that at age 5 or so, following in my footsteps (I started building things around age 7).

Would be cool to have given him a such a gift as a present. As it were, Snap-Kits has a receiver in their product lineup and I think that was one of the add-ons to his collection 'DSG and I got for him over the years.

You ever try your hand at homebrewing a spiderweb regen, George?
About the same age I started playing with crystal sets with my uncle (W6TCO). Sad part is back then I used cardboard tubes/oat meal boxes for the forms-now I use my empty pill bottles-so many sizes and the lids make a neat mounting point.

n2ize
01-03-2018, 02:26 PM
When I was about 15 or 16 I built a similar kit... a 3 tube regeneratiive receiver with 3 plug in coils that you had to wind yourself. It covered roughly from the AM Broadcast band right on up to about the top end of 40 meters. Once I got the hang of using the regenerative feedback it actually worked quite well. I was pulling in shortwave stations from all over the globe as well as the 80 and 40 meter ham bands. In fact it was on that radio that I first heard the 75 meter AM'ers. It served me well for years till I eventually got a Lafayette and then a Hammarlund HF receivers.

w2amr
01-03-2018, 02:37 PM

You ever try your hand at homebrewing a spiderweb regen, George?No. I had to google to see what you were talking about.

w2amr
01-03-2018, 02:42 PM
I had to show you guys my one tube regen receiver that I scratch built years ago, from an article in 73 Magazine.