PDA

View Full Version : New cat.in the house....

PA5COR
10-19-2017, 07:03 AM
2 weeks back a small 7 week old kitten sat down and stayed in my back yard, left it till it became dark in the hope the mother cat would pick it up, but it didn't... so took it in the house.
Got the doctor to look at it, do the medical things needed, and got kitten food and a new cat litter box, the Maine coon didn't matter the new cat, just tapped her when she became too "playfull" .
3 days later a woman living behind my house came by and told us it was one of 4 kittens of her, told her i would keep it, after the investment i made, and as now it is exhausted and laying on my lap.
Fully black not a white patch to be seen, one very active furball.

She is now 9 1/2 weeks old, growing well, healthy and happy.
Very social, likes to be with me or my son, playful like hell, keeping her busy becomes a day job...
Will make piccie later and put it up.
When time is due we will have her "treated" so she won't have a litter.

WZ7U
10-19-2017, 02:45 PM
Uh oh. She may become a radio cat. I hear that's a thing over yonder. Congrats on you being selected Cor.

PA5COR
10-19-2017, 04:02 PM
Yep, trying to keep her from walking over the radio gear or use it as resting place becomes a chore...;)

KG4CGC
10-19-2017, 04:49 PM

w2amr
10-19-2017, 05:45 PM
Congrats on the new family member .

WZ7U
10-19-2017, 06:25 PM
Awesome Charles!! :rock:

KG4CGC
10-20-2017, 01:05 AM
Cats are awesome. Like George said, congrats!
Cats always sit on TV's (well, when they were thicker front to back), computers, etc and radio gear. One of the reasons is because it is yours. The other reason is because these things tend to be warm. You already knew all that. Cats are our friends.

Thanks, Eric.

N8YX
10-20-2017, 05:25 AM
I have its twin pestering me for attention as I type this.

PA5COR
10-20-2017, 05:29 AM
Always been a cat person, cats "find" me, or i get one from the animal asylums here.
She's happy, warm, loved, that is what counts.

K7SGJ
10-20-2017, 03:21 PM
Thanks Cor. If more people would open their homes to homeless pets like you did (and have them spayed and neutered) maybe this overpopulation of unwanted cats and dogs would be a fading memory.

We have always had dog pound or shelter pets, and will continue to do so. We just adopted a puppy with a heart murmur. She was to be destroyed. She is a real hoot, and my wife and I instantly fell in love with her. The cardiologist said she could very well just drop dead tomorrow because of her heart problem. I hope she lives a long and happy life with us. If not, she will have had the best possible shot at life possible, and we will have had a terrific experience having her in our lives. Actually, we usually have four or five dogs out here. We are back to three right now, and I'd like to rescue another one since we have both the time and space for another one or two. Unfortunately, cats don't do well out here. Between the hawks, owls, coyotes, bobcats, mountain lions, and other predators, the majority go missing, even house cats. Not long ago, a bobcat cornered one of out dogs. I keep a 9mm by the door, and grabbed it, and shot the bobcat as he was carrying off my dog. I really hated to have to kill the cat; it was a beautiful animal. But then out here, it's not all that unusual for our pets to get hauled away, it is also quite common for some of these wild animals to attack people and tear them up a bit, or worse.

WØTKX
10-20-2017, 09:54 PM
Cats and doggies are our four legged kids, and they are welcome in my home. Will rescue again, hell YEA!

My wife and I are thinking of adding a younger critter here, to keep the two older ones young at heart.

PA5COR
10-21-2017, 05:12 AM
The Maine Coon is now 11 years old, likes her rest and sleeps most of the time, can get out in the back garden, but that is only when it is sunny and she can catch the rays on the garbage bin she prefers in the sun.
She isn't impressed by the kitten, more looks as what do you think you are doing if a "attack" is done, only swaps with retracted claws if it gets too busy and a hiss here and there as warning.
Sometimes they just sleep together, so no problems there.
The new addition is sleeping on the lap now, been busy playing for 2 hours, and exhausted now.
Keeps me busy as well, teaching her what can and what cannot be done here.....

W3WN
10-21-2017, 08:49 AM
I’ve had cats in the past...

Including radio cats, although Dobryn (who was really the wife’s cat... now the ex-wife, for the record) had a mean streak when he didn’t get attention. Once walked across the operating desk and “accidentally” sent my Vibroplex Brass Racer to an untimely end on a concrete floor...

And I’ve had dogs. Turns out I like dogs better. Besides, the Boss is deathly allergic to felines, so having a cat in the house is a moot point.

Whenever someone comes over to the shack, LucyFurr is always there to greet them. And beg for treats, expects attention, the whole drill. I still can’t believe that no one came looking for her, when we got her from shelter.

ka8ncr
10-21-2017, 10:16 AM
Always been a cat person, cats "find" me, or i get one from the animal asylums here.
She's happy, warm, loved, that is what counts.

Up until about 17 years ago, cats didn't like me and I didn't like cats. My wife came home with Simon, a black kitten and that animal promptly nuzzled up to me and made me its best friend. That cat was more like a dog, and was always by my side until his death last spring.

The wife and I drove an hour away into the next county for another black kitten, and Milo came home and proceeded to do the same thing. Milo is now six months old, plays fetch, and likes to hide his toys in my shoes, backpack and gym bag. I thought it was my wife doing that until I caught him doing it.

My wife's other cat, some form of mutant cat weighing 23 lbs, has never liked me. But he likes Milo.