PDA

View Full Version : So I'm off to California to pack up the rest of the crap

n6hcm
10-17-2017, 01:59 AM
Is it worth it to try to ship a 35 amp astron? I'm shipping other household goods but this is probably the heaviest...

WZ7U
10-17-2017, 02:39 AM
By itself? Probably not. Mixed in with a metric shit ton of other stuff; maybe.

You could always put in carry on :snicker:

Good travels!

W3WN
10-17-2017, 07:58 AM
Is it worth it to try to ship a 35 amp astron? I'm shipping other household goods but this is probably the heaviest...By itself? Nah. You'd pay almost as much for shipping as would to get a replacement at a hamfest.

eBay prices indicate that used working RS-35A's are going for $75 - 100, and up ( some people must think that we think they're made out of gold-plated latinum or something like that ), and shipping goes for $50 and up. RS-35M's are more. I've seen them sell at hamfests for $50 or less, no shipping, no sales tax, and as long as there's AC around somewhere, you have a chance to test it before you buy it.

That all said: If it's going in a large crate or container with other stuff, or as part of a truck load, it doesn't take up much room.

n6hcm
10-17-2017, 11:44 PM
nah, it'd be going in a fedex or ups box. i have decent discounts, but it'd still cost a fortune to ship ... and more to make sure that it survived shipping.

what's getting shipped: smaller radios, cds, books. some other valuables. that's about it.

W3WN
10-18-2017, 06:33 AM
nah, it'd be going in a fedex or ups box. i have decent discounts, but it'd still cost a fortune to ship ... and more to make sure that it survived shipping.

what's getting shipped: smaller radios, cds, books. some other valuables. that's about it.
Understood.

Well, it's not like Astron's are exactly rare. I say sell it, then replace it with another one after you return. That's what I would do in the same circumstances. Even if you sell it for less than the replacement costs, it would still be less than what you'd pay in shipping.